ADVERTISEMENT

David Williams still a ???

jimnasium

Jun 21, 2001
Bladenboro, NC
Listening to coaches post practice interview today he seemed a little miffed at Williams when he said he's getting tired having to challenge him everyday and in meetings. Williams needs to poop or get off the pot and stop talking about what he's going to accomplish and have at it. Coach actually asked him what he had done since coming to Carolina and Williams had no reply. This kid has all the tools but seems to be lacking something in the intestinal fortitude area and is a little lazy. Either step up or step out is what it sounded like to me. Patience is not a virtue in Boom.

Just saw that. Williams needs to decide if he wants to be an SEC back or not. Coach Hulk is going to move on without him if he can't bring intensity. Disturbing that he is lost/mute in the meeting room too.

Listening to coaches post practice interview today he seemed a little miffed at Williams when he said he's getting tired having to challenge him everyday and in meetings. Williams needs to poop or get off the pot and stop talking about what he's going to accomplish and have at it. Coach actually asked him what he had done since coming to Carolina and Williams had no reply. This kid has all the tools but seems to be lacking something in the intestinal fortitude area and is a little lazy. Either step up or step out is what it sounded like to me. Patience is not a virtue in Boom.
He won't have to worry about stepping out. He's about to get pushed out.

Come on Mr Williams. Prove to the coaches what you can do. You've got the talent to be a great RB at this level. Bring it!!! Use what coach is saying as motivation!!!

Reactions: CliffordII
Good. Do it, or gtho the way. He won't have someone holding his hand 20 years from now when he's at a dead-end job he hates. He has all the time to make the changes he has to, IF he wants to, and it will help a lot more than just football. That is the coaching that will get out of this mess. And, don't get me wrong, being from Philly, there's nothing I'd like better than to see a Philly kid be in the conversation of the top RB's in 'Merica

If he doesn't get it together he will be a major bust. U can't coach heart. U either have it or u don't

Why does it seem like it is always someone we needed to step up and play a major role with these type issues

If he doesn't get it together he will be a major bust. U can't coach heart. U either have it or u don't

Why does it seem like it is always someone we needed to step up and play a major role with these type issues
Unfortunately because we don't have a "winning tradition" per say, we have to recruit for potential and projects. Most of which, never materialize.

Hopefully it lights a fire, Williams cant just say the 6 carries a game were holding him down last year, like he just did at Media day, he has things to work on and get better, and im sure that attitude is what the staff is trying to address.

Unfortunately because we don't have a "winning tradition" per say, we have to recruit for potential and projects. Most of which, never materialize.
that theory makes no sense, David was recruited in the middle of a great 5 year run...If he doesn't make it, it's just another miss by a staff that had plenty of misses the past 3 classes...The previous staff had 3 successive 11-2 seasons plus a bunch of great bowl wins to sell...They won 40 games in 4 years...If you can't sell that it's either laziness or incompetence or some of both

If you zoom out, you will see that it happens at every program, every sport. Some just don't have what it takes to make it from high school to college, no matter how good they are/were. Hence the reason recruiting hard each and every year is so important.

Come on Williams, show Bentley and coach Muschamp, YOU ARE THE MAN. SHOW THEM, WHATEVER THEY HAVE NOT SEEN. IM SURE COACH WANT YOU TO BE GREAT. Yes, got my Brother.

Boom's just trying to give the kid a little extra motivation. He's #1 on the chart because the coaches thinks he's the best player, coming out of spring.

Reactions: vipercock
He's a redshirt junior. If he hasn't contributed by now it ain't gonna happen. He sat while Mike Davis was here. And Mike would tap out every other play. He is a bust as an SEC back.

Just thinking about it. We signed a four star Williams who hasn't done hardly anything. Clemsux took three star Gallman in hopes of getting Dkemdiche and he's stayed healthy and ran for major yards. Advantage clemsux. And if you have a couple of situations like that ( Tyler Renfrow also) between two teams that goes a long way to them being successful the last few years and us not being successful.

Yeah, that's it. Don't tell that to all of our top 25 recruiting classes over the past 15 years. Williams had the "stars" most of you so admire coming out of HS. So he was not recruited as a project. But hey, your perception is your reality I guess.

Yeah, that's it. Don't tell that to all of our top 25 recruiting classes over the past 15 years. Williams had the "stars" most of you so admire coming out of HS. So he was not recruited as a project. But hey, your perception is your reality I guess.
Actually tn I don't place a lot of stock in stars. Sometimes kids look great in hs, but fizzle in college because they actually peaked in HS against that level of opposition. College is much different. Muschamp may be trying to motivate him as some have said, but he has been there for 3 years and hasn't done squat quite frankly.

Everybody does. If you don't you miss the Captain Munnerlyns, Ko Simpsons and Darien Stewarts.

I think DW is a case where he was just bigger, faster and stronger than his competition in high school and never had to develop a solid work ethic to excel. But when he got to college he wasn't more physically gifted than the other players. I'm sure this happens a lot with highly recruited players and you either figure it out, get to work and live up to your potential or you don't and never amount to much at the college level. Hopefully DW will figure it out because we could sure use him.

Reactions: WTFeather
some athletes respond positively to being challenged and pushed...Others punk out at the sign of pressure...David Williams response to Coach Boom's challenge will define his career at USC

It'll define his career, period.
When Williams committed in Jan 2013 we were all excited, very high 4* who was recruited not only by us but some GREAT running schools, which clearly indicated this guy is 'special' ... Wisconsin, Tennessee, PA State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, a bunch of schools in the ACC, every major school in the NE and more than 20 schools all together.
It hasn't been a series of injuries or a case of the kid's just dumb and can't learn the plays - he's a BRIGHT athlete I've always heard is a good student ... so it's got to be something 'else' ... it's been 'something else' for a while now ... David Williams, the 'pride of Philadelphia' in 2013 didn't score a single TD in 2015.
In that same class a kid from Jacksonville, FL - BARELY a 3* with one SEC offer (Vandy) one ACC offer (Boston College) and a few Troy's, Ga Southerns, Western KY's, Liberty's, etc. took the Vandy offer on 'signing day' - his ONLY chance to play in the SEC.
And "PLAY" he has. Nearly 1000 yards as a Freshman while DW had 'nearly' 200 - then nearly 1200 yards as a Soph while DW had 'nearly' 300 - Ralph Webb turned out to be a kid with a LOT of heart. Just 5'10" he said "I just wanted the chance, I knew I could play in the best conference in America, or at least I felt I could. Failure was not an option. If I could raise my head and move my feet I was going forward."
Unless we see something different that expression probably sums up the difference between a kid that's 6'1" and one 5'10" - a kid that runs a 4.4 and another who runs a 4.61 - a kid who has 550 rushing yards in his career and another with 2000+ ...
"thank you for the chance, now give me the ball."

If we only have one player who feels a sense of entitlement, we've done pretty well. Hopefully the coaches can break him of that. If nothing else, it will be a lesson to all.

Actually tn I don't place a lot of stock in stars. Sometimes kids look great in hs, but fizzle in college because they actually peaked in HS against that level of opposition. College is much different. Muschamp may be trying to motivate him as some have said, but he has been there for 3 years and hasn't done squat quite frankly.

I think we both agree that Williams has UNDERachieved so far. He's got size/speed/talent, but this is his last year to prove something. Even if he doesn't help a bunch this year, he's been a Gamecock for 4 years and is part of the family now. I just hope for our sake, and his, that he steps up big.

So do I tn. He has the physical ability. His heart and desire are questionable. Believe your own hype or dedicate yourself in every aspect and prove it. That is his decision to make. He just needs to make it now or ride the pine his last go around.

Well at least Muschamp put him on tilt early enough in the season that he now has no excuses, I like it! You would think as a redshirt Jr. someone would have flipped that switch before now, and maybe they did and it just didn't make a big enough impression!

I think we both agree that Williams has UNDERachieved so far. He's got size/speed/talent, but this is his last year to prove something. Even if he doesn't help a bunch this year, he's been a Gamecock for 4 years and is part of the family now. I just hope for our sake, and his, that he steps up big.

Same here, I hope he busts out this year. He's a Gamecock.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
He's a redshirt junior. If he hasn't contributed by now it ain't gonna happen.

Yes sir! You said it!

I remember that time when we had a lazy punk on our team as a LB, and he hardly contributed worth a darn for 3 seasons and the coaches actually had to convince him to stay with the program instead of quitting. What was is name? Melvin ... Ingram? I can't be sure. But I know we never heard of him again...

Yes sir! You said it!

I remember that time when we had a lazy punk on our team as a LB, and he hardly contributed worth a darn for 3 seasons and the coaches actually had to convince him to stay with the program instead of quitting. What was is name? Melvin ... Ingram? I can't be sure. But I know we never heard of him again...

Touché.
I hope you're right but the odds are stacked against Mr Williams being a big contributor.

Touché.
I hope you're right but the odds are stacked against Mr Williams being a big contributor.

True. But maybe he's an outlier, too. Plus, with the exception of field goals and punting, the odds are stacked against our team doing anything well. But the good sign is that the coaches are apparently addressing the problem head-on and early. That's a change from the past few years.

It's the preseason. Better to go through life as an optimist, right?

Yes sir! You said it!

You're not talking about Melvin Ingram..........he contributed a bunch starting in his second year. He came in as a fullback / DL type. He was a stud and was never a "punk." I remember the story you described about someone we had, but it wasn't Ingram.

Reactions: BD007
You're not talking about Melvin Ingram..........he contributed a bunch starting in his second year. He came in as a fullback / DL type. He was a stud and was never a "punk." I remember the story you described about someone we had, but it wasn't Ingram.

I AM talking about Melvin Ingram. He almost walked away from the program in his second year (2008 - he redshirted, remember? Enrolled 2007, RS 2008). He came in as a LB, and had played FB/RB. They tried to mold him into a MLB, and that wasn't sticking. 2009 the light started to come on, but he played as a reserve. 2010 is when he became a terror.

I never seriously called him a punk. That was sarcasm. Obviously I loved MI6. But I also remember folks calling him a let-down before his 4th year in the program. It is ridiculous to say that a player can't contribute because they haven't already. Sometimes it takes time. I'm not saying Williams will be lights out, but I'm not willing to write him off just yet.

I AM talking about Melvin Ingram. He almost walked away from the program in his second year (2008 - he redshirted, remember? Enrolled 2007, RS 2008). He came in as a LB, and had played FB/RB. They tried to mold him into a MLB, and that wasn't sticking. 2009 the light started to come on, but he played as a reserve. 2010 is when he became a terror.

I never seriously called him a punk. That was sarcasm. Obviously I loved MI6. But I also remember folks calling him a let-down before his 4th year in the program. It is ridiculous to say that a player can't contribute because they haven't already. Sometimes it takes time. I'm not saying Williams will be lights out, but I'm not willing to write him off just yet.

I don't remember him almost leaving, but I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the clarification.

Just another miss in talent evaluation like the quarterback position from the other staff.

Hey Mr. Hindsight, you would have offered Williams out of high school as well. I love all these 20/20 vision people after the fact. He's on our team, so let's hope he comes around and shows why he deserved a scholarship. But don't confuse the issue of "missed evaluation" when the kid has talent but not panning out for whatever reason. He was on lots of boards out of HS. It's on him, not the former staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT