ADVERTISEMENT

David Williams

stevestrat2

Jun 12, 2010
South Carolina
Just thinking, if David Williams can emerge as the monster we all know he can be, that would take some pressure off the QB position. No to mention Wilds...but, boy, wouldn't it be nice for Williams to explode....if O line can play decent, we should have a run game, throw in Pharoah continuing to be a major factor, maybe we can have a better year than some are predicting. Would love to see DW emerge big time. go cocks- Steve

The only thing holding Williams back last year was Everette Sands for subbing him in and out of games. He clearly could have been a game breaker for us last year.

Won't matter. We could have the best running game in the nation and Spurrier will still try to win games passing the ball. Can't help himself.

Originally posted by Carolina Bo:

Won't matter. We could have the best running game in the nation and Spurrier will still try to win games passing the ball. Can't help himself.
That's why I can't blame Mike Davis for leaving early.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad Coach Spurrier is here at Carolina. I think he can be
bull headed sometimes.

Speaking of coach Sands, does he totally decide who to play in games? He has been cast in a poor light by many of the posters.

Unfortunately I don't believe our offensive line will be good enough to allow for a "monster" year by any of our RBs. Even with our supposed "best offensive line in school history" last year our OL's run-blocking significantly declined in the second half of the season. With the departure of our most talented OLs, injuries to others, and a lack of experience and talent, I think OL is going to be a huge struggle this year. The writing is on the wall, just as it was with the DL last year, it just remains to be seen if people will open their eyes and admit it. Most fans refused to see the defensive issues before the season last year.

I can understand people's concerns for the o-line. But I personally, am not going to mail it in. We haven't even played the spring game let alone the first couple of games. So to just presume struggles is a bit premature. We are nearly three deep at every position across the front.

I personally think the decline of the offensive line last year had more to do with our QB and the type running plays being called. We should have been running more out of the I-formation or using FB for blocking. The type of plays we were running would have been more successful with a mobile QB back there.

Wilds seems to get marginalized.....

...honestly don't get why. At the same time, what about David Williams makes anyone think he is a monster? The measurable are there but watching in games he appears to be about average. Is it bc he ran well against Furman? Hope he is what people seem to think he is. Not shown it yet.

Originally posted by ipull4usc:
Unfortunately I don't believe our offensive line will be good enough to allow for a "monster" year by any of our RBs. Even with our supposed "best offensive line in school history" last year our OL's run-blocking significantly declined in the second half of the season. With the departure of our most talented OLs, injuries to others, and a lack of experience and talent, I think OL is going to be a huge struggle this year. The writing is on the wall, just as it was with the DL last year, it just remains to be seen if people will open their eyes and admit it. Most fans refused to see the defensive issues before the season last year.
So, our OL depth chart should have 3 RS seniors, 3 RS JRs, and a handful or RS So.... That is a full two deep of guys who have been here between three and five years, a majority of which where very highly touted three and four star prospects coming our of HS and almost ALL of which have game experience... Some a LOT of PT ( like Shell, Matulis, the Zandis...)- I am not by any means saying this will be some "best in the SEC" OL or even that they will deff be wayyyy better than last year (which was NOT A bad OL by any measure IMO... They had a few break downs on pass coverage, but the run blocking was very good most of the year).. What I am saying is your evaluation is not based in fact. The FACTS are we return a very talented, deep, experienced OL packed with guys who have played A LOT OF FOOTBALL. Not all have played extremely well their whole careers thus far, but some really have played well when healthy. Matulis has shown loads of promise when he wasn't injured. Shell has all the talent in the world... Most of these guys CAN play really good football, we just have to get them to play up to their potential and play as a unit. There are plenty of question marks going into this season- QB, WR, some unknowns with new players on D... OL is right at the bottom of the list of my concerns.

there are always question marks going into any season, which is why I don't understand anyone saying we'll be great or terrible prior to any season that not a single game has been played. I'm not really sure what we have until about the 12th game of the season. Even when we're really good, you can count on at least on game that we'll screw the pooch on. JMO

What Carolina Bo said. I think SOS will always be a pass first kida guy. Does'nt matter if we have the best run game in America. We lost 2-3 games last year because of going away from the run game.

ADVERTISEMENT