ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley a ‘top head coaching candidate’ for NBA opening, report says

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
I say go for it! Make history!

South Carolina women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley is being targeted to possibly fill an NBA coaching vacancy, according to one prominent league insider.

The Athletic’s Shams Charania, citing league sources, tweeted a list of the “top head coaching candidates” for the open Portland Trail Blazers job, with Staley among the group. Others include San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon, Los Anggeles Clippers assistant coach Chauncey Billups, Brooklyn Nets assistant coach Mike D’Antoni and Spurs vice president of basketball operations Brent Barry.

Portland fired coach Terry Stotts last week.

This isn’t the first time Staley’s name has been mentioned with a possible NBA job. Her name was mentioned over the fall with her hometown Philadelphia 76ers. The 76ers ended up hiring Doc Rivers.

Staley also was mentioned in opening for North Carolina men’s basketball job. The Tar Heels ended up promoting assistant Hubert Davis to replace Roy Williams.

Staley was asked about possibly coaching men’s college basketball or in the NBA when she met with reporters on April 13.

“No ounce of me really wants to coach outside of college,” Staley told reporters via videoconference. “I don’t know why my level of interest has never been to coach in the WNBA, NBA or coach on the men’s (college) side. I don’t know why my competitiveness won’t allow me to go there. Maybe because I think there’s too much work to be done in our game. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done in women’s basketball.”

Staley has built South Carolina women’s program into a women’s powerhouse, winning the national championship in 2017 and leading the Gamecocks to two other Final Four appearances, including this past season. USC has won five regular season Southeastern Conference championships and six tournament championships.

Staley, Naismith Hall of Fame inductee, is also the coach for USA women’s national team. The USA team is playing in a FIBA AmeriCup qualifying tournament and played Dominican Republic on Saturday.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...sketball/article252081208.html?#storylink=cpy

• Angry
Reactions: Cocky 45
Yeah, her comments support my thinking on this. First off, Dawn wasn't interested in coaching PERIOD when she first was offered the job at Temple. But mostly, with her coaching history at both Temple and USC, and her "activism" for women's basketball, my thinking was that even though it would be quite the sizable feather in her hat to be a woman - perhaps the FIRST woman - to be a head coach in the NBA, that she wouldn't have much interest to work to further men's basketball.

My thinking is, she already feels that men's basketball is already miles out in front, and that women's basketball needs all the help it can get to catch up to the men's game. SO I think if she became a HC for ANY professional basketball team, it would be for a WNBA team.

But glad to see she still feels she has a lot of work to do while at USC. She sure is putting in that work lately......

Who knows? I would not want to lose our best coach, but I'd also like to see what she would do at that level. Plus, it might lead to more women in coaching in the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc.

There was no interest from the Sixers or chapel hill in DS. Simply reporters saying they would consider her, both articles were opinion columns not news reports.

Reactions: DarkCock
I say go for it! Make history!

South Carolina women’s basketball coach Dawn Staley is being targeted to possibly fill an NBA coaching vacancy, according to one prominent league insider.

The Athletic’s Shams Charania, citing league sources, tweeted a list of the “top head coaching candidates” for the open Portland Trail Blazers job, with Staley among the group. Others include San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon, Los Anggeles Clippers assistant coach Chauncey Billups, Brooklyn Nets assistant coach Mike D’Antoni and Spurs vice president of basketball operations Brent Barry.

Portland fired coach Terry Stotts last week.

This isn’t the first time Staley’s name has been mentioned with a possible NBA job. Her name was mentioned over the fall with her hometown Philadelphia 76ers. The 76ers ended up hiring Doc Rivers.

Staley also was mentioned in opening for North Carolina men’s basketball job. The Tar Heels ended up promoting assistant Hubert Davis to replace Roy Williams.

Staley was asked about possibly coaching men’s college basketball or in the NBA when she met with reporters on April 13.

“No ounce of me really wants to coach outside of college,” Staley told reporters via videoconference. “I don’t know why my level of interest has never been to coach in the WNBA, NBA or coach on the men’s (college) side. I don’t know why my competitiveness won’t allow me to go there. Maybe because I think there’s too much work to be done in our game. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done in women’s basketball.”

Staley has built South Carolina women’s program into a women’s powerhouse, winning the national championship in 2017 and leading the Gamecocks to two other Final Four appearances, including this past season. USC has won five regular season Southeastern Conference championships and six tournament championships.

Staley, Naismith Hall of Fame inductee, is also the coach for USA women’s national team. The USA team is playing in a FIBA AmeriCup qualifying tournament and played Dominican Republic on Saturday.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...sketball/article252081208.html?#storylink=cpy
“Mentioned” by the media trying to push women as viable NBA coaching candidates. No woman has ever been seriously considered for an NBA head coaching job, and that is not changing today. This is pure fantasy- Staley doesn’t want the job (she said recently she has no interest in NBA jobs) and Portland does not want her.

I just saw the list of potential candidates for that job on twitter. Just being considered is a good thing

but this....

her "activism" for women's basketball, my thinking was that even though it would be quite the sizable feather in her hat to be a woman - perhaps the FIRST woman - to be a head coach in the NBA, that she wouldn't have much interest to work to further men's basketball.

My thinking is, she already feels that men's basketball is already miles out in front, and that women's basketball needs all the help it can get to catch up to the men's game.

I just saw the list of potential candidates for that job on twitter. Just being considered is a good thing

but this....
Pat Summitt was asked about whether she would ever coach a men's team. Her response was that the men and their game didn't need her, but the young women and their game did. I believe that Staley will be of the same mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatestCock
“Mentioned” by the media trying to push women as viable NBA coaching candidates. No woman has ever been seriously considered for an NBA head coaching job, and that is not changing today. This is pure fantasy- Staley doesn’t want the job (she said recently she has no interest in NBA jobs) and Portland does not want her.
Not true. Becky Hammon has two interviews lined up right now. Hammon will be an NBA Head Coach. She has all the right people from the San Antonio coaching tree behind her.

If Tanner let's Dawn go to Portland Fire his ass immediately no retirement ceremony or nothing! If I were AD RIGHT NOW I would be giving Dawn multiple blank checks and let her name her price, say "Dawn $5 million a year to stay in SC sound good"? fine... she's the only successful coach we have... we can spend millions on crap statues that nobody cares about but not for our only winning coach.

Stop being so predictable. She is not in prison, she can talk to anybody she wants.
Dawn is the only reason for SC's success in WBB it's pretty obvious by our total and complete failure in all other sports, letting her leave for the freaking NBA? and not even a good NBA team at that... this is a clown show

If Tanner let's Dawn go to Portland Fire his ass immediately no retirement ceremony or nothing! If I were AD RIGHT NOW I would be giving Dawn multiple blank checks and let her name her price, say "Dawn $5 million a year to stay in SC sound good"? fine... she's the only successful coach we have... we can spend millions on crap statues that nobody cares about but not for our only winning coach.
How much are you willing to pay in? Easy to say what other people should do (with money we don't have). But I didn't see where you say you would take a second mortage out to keep her.

No other school in America would allow this, we obviously don't care about WBB program if we are letting her explore other options, because if she leaves this program will go down the crapper instantly.
Well, first off, it is standard protocol for ANY school to grant permission to talk to a coach.
Deny permission and you just look silly and sounding like a 12yo on the internet. If it has any legs conversations have already been had with agents and intermediaries.

UVA and Ohio St were both granted permission to talk to DS. She very publicly said no thanks to UVA.
In the OSU case DS was scheduled to fly to Columbus on a Monday morning. She never got on the plane as RT worked his ass off over the weekend to get a new 7 or 8 year deal to keep her here.

No other school in America would allow this, we obviously don't care about WBB program if we are letting her explore other options, because if she leaves this program will go down the crapper instantly.
It’s a “courtesy”. Don’t have to have our “blessings”. Hope she stays. Believe she will stay. Just hope she’s not growing weary enough of the “blow-back” from this whole anthem thing that she may be entertaining a change of scenery

Female head coach in the nba would be a disaster. You already have stars like lebron and irving disrespecting male coaches. Ill sit back, grab my popcorn..and watch for sure.
You may not like LeBron, but name the time he has disrespected a coach? I’ll patiently wait on the specific examples. I’ll tell you what he has done. He has bet on himself by taking one year with a player option contracts several times to always put the pressure on a franchise that he may leave. That gave him the leverage to get what he wants and earn over 425 million dollars in player contracts. I don’t see it as disrespect for a player to recognize his worth and squeeze every ounce out of it.

Reactions: GreatestCock
I think we in S.C. underestimate what a truly big deal DS is in the basketball world. Check out her Wikipedia page. Some highlights
Player
2X national player of the year
6X all WNBA
3X Olympic champ, team captain and carried our national flag.
Top 15 WNBA player. EVER

As a coach DS has been national COY, national champion, only the second African American to do so. She is the first African American superstar coach in college WBB. Coaches the national team. Took 2 programs from nothing to something

She is revered by players past and present, coaches, the African American community and that’s just the beginning of the list. She will stay longer than Geno or Tara to be the queen of WBB.

She is smart, survived being politically active in S.C. Who the hell wouldn’t want her as their coach or in their organization?

She is the standard bearer for a lot of hopes and dreams, not just Gamecock dreams. As such, people are dying to glom on to her.
“Dawn be the trailblazer in the NBA, you owe it to women, race, yourself.” “Dawn can you speak, can you support our cause, please Dawn.”
People are going be pounding at her door for the next 10-20 years. And a lot of them will be thinking USC and S.C. are a political and cultural backwater. Look at how much more money, fame and platform we have to offer.

That’s a heavy load for DS, and she handles it and loves her fams here in Columbia.

If she has no interest in leaving for another job she needs to quash this quickly so that recruiting is not negatively affected. Other schools will assuredly use this as a tool against her when they entertain high level players.

But, it's not everyday a NBA team comes knocking on your door. If I'm Dawn, which I'm not. I would take the trip look it over and enjoy the attention. This may not be the right job at the right time, but you'll never know if you will ever get a shot like this again to be courted.

Dawn is a big girl, let her make her own decision. Dawn needs to do what's best for her. If the NBA is her dream, then let her chase it. If her dream i to win several more National Championships at South Carolina, then let her do that too.

Right now South Carolina is struggling for an identity in Sports and she can grab the rings now.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Have y'all seen her new mansion on the Congaree? Can't imagine her going anywhere.
I was wondering if she sold her house and moved. A friend of mine lives near her old house and the last few times I’ve driven by it looked like no one was there, my friend said she heard she’d moved.

I don't. People here know. That's one reason why she's paid so well and the team gets better support than anyone else in the country.
I’m glad you do. I think passionate Gamecock WBB Fans know, but your average Gamecock football and men’s sports fan, not so much. They know what’s she done here and vaguely some other stuff but not the depth and breadth of her influence.

DS has said that she knew Tiffany Mitchell was a lock to come here when she got the tour off the house and her poster was up on Tiffany’s bedroom wall. Mitchell 17 and DS Had been out of the league 6 or 7 years

This is all for PR for Portland. In no way would they actually do it.

I think you are correct. The NBA is such a different game than men’s college BB. Most college coaches fail or never match their collegiate success in the NBA.
Becky Hammon would much better fit the mold to trail blaze the NBA.

However if you leave DS off that list, inevitably the question will arise.....what about DS?

Reactions: uscwatson21
Not true. Becky Hammon has two interviews lined up right now. Hammon will be an NBA Head Coach. She has all the right people from the San Antonio coaching tree behind her.
Token interviews are not the same thing as serious interest. Hammon is a real feel good story, but no NBA execs are truly going to believe that a woman can come into their locker room and gain the respect of these pro player personalities until they see someone else do it first. She should start at the college level, get a mid-major MBB job somewhere and prove she can handle male egos and be successful.

You may not like LeBron, but name the time he has disrespected a coach? I’ll patiently wait on the specific examples. I’ll tell you what he has done. He has bet on himself by taking one year with a player option contracts several times to always put the pressure on a franchise that he may leave. That gave him the leverage to get what he wants and earn over 425 million dollars in player contracts. I don’t see it as disrespect for a player to recognize his worth and squeeze every ounce out of it.
I cant tell u the times...u sound like my wife. U can see it though. Believe what u want...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT