ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley and the baseball team

cockymom2boys

Dec 28, 2000
At USC's graduation ceremony this year, when Dawn Staley gave the commencement speech at Saturday's 3 pm ceremony, she discussed 3 steps you have to take to succeed. #1. You have to find your passion. #2. You have to learn to deal and get past disappointments, set backs, etc. 3. You have to be willing to change and adapt. She gave examples of how she how had to do all 3 of these things at different times in her life.

Her example of # 3 was after she had been at USC for 3 years and had had losing seasons all 3 years. She had to look in the mirror and realize that her style of coaching was not working at USC, As she said, she had to become a "less spirited" coach" lol.

I do not know if Coach Holbrook is the right coach for our men's baseball team or not. But when I think of Coach Holbrook, the one statement that he makes a lot is he wants our guys to have fun playing baseball. And I agree with that. If it's not fun, the team is gonna be uptight and play that way. But I can't deny that after 3 years of him as head coach, we have steadily declined as a program. So I hope he takes the opportunity during the off season to listen to Coach Staley's speech or talk to her. I hope he adapts. And I hope that next year is more fun than this year for our players and us as fans. Go Cocks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News