ADVERTISEMENT

Dawn Staley sticks up for Frank

SC 95

Mar 31, 2008
Charlottesville, Virginia
Dawn Staley sticks up for Frank (link)

Coach Staley said, "...[Frank Martin] puts a product on the floor that we can all be proud of."

I support Gamecock basketball, but I am not proud of the product Coach Martin has put on the floor. Five (5) out of nine (9) losing seasons in conference. One (1) NCAA tournament appearance in nine (9) years does not elicit pride in the program.

Staley said, "Frank's given us some great years and I think there's a lot more in the tank."

In my opinion, Martin has failed to recruit, develop, and retain P5 talent, and he has not addressed his or his coaching staff's shortcomings. If he needs to hire assistant coaches who can recruit or develop P5 talent, do it! If he needs to adapt his coaching style or style of play, do it!

Gamecock days numbered? Frank Martin reportedly set to meet with Ray Tanner about future (link)

Martin said, "...I fixed this program and I know what’s not working this year, but the program ain’t broke. We fixed it once from a bad situation, we’ll fix it again."

Please, Coach Martin, tell us what's not working, put together a plan to fix it, and implement your plan. I am tired of the old Gamecock refrain, "Wait till next year!"

I want all of South Carolina's coaches to succeed, including Martin. I would rather retain a successful Martin than hire a new coach, yet I have no reason to believe Martin can "fix it."

In sticking up for Martin, Staley said, "...we are in a results-based profession."

What results should South Carolina fans expect? Martin earns $3.15 million per season: 31st highest paid college basketball coach. What is a reasonable return on a $3.15 million annual investment? Is it reasonable to expect SC's men's basketball team to win 65% of its games and make the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years?

It feels like the South Carolina fanbase is routinely told that it should accept losing.

Last edited:

Coach Staley said, "...[Frank Martin] puts a product on the floor that we can all be proud of."

I support Gamecock basketball, but I am not proud of the product Coach Martin has put on the floor. Five (5) out of nine (9) losing seasons in conference. One (1) NCAA tournament appearance in nine (9) years does not elicit pride in the program.

Staley said, "Frank's given us some great years and I think there's a lot more in the tank."

In my opinion, Martin has failed to recruit, develop, and retain P5 talent, and he has not addressed his or his coaching staff's shortcomings. If he needs to hire assistant coaches who can recruit or develop P5 talent, do it! If he needs to adapt his coaching style or style of play, do it!

Gamecock days numbered? Frank Martin reportedly set to meet with Ray Tanner about future (link)

Martin said, "...I fixed this program and I know what’s not working this year, but the program ain’t broke. We fixed it once from a bad situation, we’ll fix it again."

Please, Coach Martin, tell us what's not working, put together a plan to fix it, and implement your plan. I am tired of the old Gamecock refrain, "Wait till next year!"

I want all of South Carolina's coaches to succeed, including Martin. I would rather retain a successful Martin than hire a new coach, yet I have no reason to believe Martin can "fix it."

In sticking up for Martin, Staley said, "...we are in a results-based profession." What results should South Carolina fans expect?

Martin earns $3.15 million per season: 31st highest paid college basketball coach. What is a reasonable return on a $3.15 million annual investment? Is it reasonable to expect SC's men's basketball team to win 65% of its games and make the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years?

It feels like the South Carolina fanbase is routinely told that it should accept losing.

Would expect nothing else from Dawn. She is a total team player for the SC athletic department and should be commended for it.

Does not change the fact that it is time for this program to move on from Frank Martin.

Staley's supporting a co worker - that's cool 🤗

but

please focus on the 1st Round down there in San Antonio. It's time for the school to move on from that man.

Reactions: Closer

In sticking up for Martin, Staley said, "...we are in a results-based profession." What results should South Carolina fans expect?

Martin earns $3.15 million per season: 31st highest paid college basketball coach. What is a reasonable return on a $3.15 million annual investment? Is it reasonable to expect SC's men's basketball team to win 65% of its games and make the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years?

Fact: Dawn, knows more about what it takes that the cocknecks on this board will ever know.....the mob mentality here
shows the classic South Carolina education level that keeps most still punching a time card.

Fact: Dawn, knows more about what it takes that the cocknecks on this board will ever know.....the mob mentality here
shows the classic South Carolina education level that keeps most still punching a time card.
True, but I think it's pathetic to get our successful women's basketball coach involved in this. She has nothing to do with it unless we are going to hire her for the job. This development illustrates even more that it is time. If you are confident in your job performance, you don't need a co-sign from ex-players and especially not from the Women's Basketball Coach.

Reactions: bflogger28
True, but I think it's pathetic to get our successful women's basketball coach involved in this. She has nothing to do with it unless we are going to hire her for the job. This development illustrates even more that it is time. If you are confident in your job performance, you don't need a co-sign from ex-players and especially not from the Women's Basketball Coach.

Let me know if Frank doesn’t retain his job.

Reactions: pisgah
I dont like her comment “ what results should South Carolina fans expect?” That will not and does not sit well with me at all. Like this is the best we are “entilted” to as a SC fan. That comment is making me more pissed every minute.

Staley's supporting a co worker - that's cool 🤗

but

please focus on the 1st Round down there in San Antonio. It's time for the school to move on from that man.
I'm sure she is focusing quite heavily on the Texas dance. But you need an occasional break, e.g., Boston and her comments about Netflix while down there. Team needs to focus on the games, schoolwork, and then "Netflix."

Did Dawn volunteer the statements, or was she asked by a reporter?

Good for her. Did she support Muschamp too? Really don't care who or what she supports.
Hope she'll lead us to a natty. Maybe Dawn should've taught Frank how to recruit.

I think Dawn did what any professional would do in that situation. I can't imagine a coach not taking up for another coach at the same school unless there was some seriously bad blood or dysfunction going on among the staff members.

Dawn's opinion on the matter probably carries as much weight with the decision makers as our opinions. What happens will happen regardless what we or Dawn say.

There is solidarity in the profession. They all know that, with different circumstances, they may be successful or not. Many times the circumstances are out of their control. So, even though she's successful, she understands. "There but by the grace of God go I."

Nothing to do with it? It’s her colleague!.......can’t she express her feelings about the situation?

Good for her. Did she support Muschamp too? Really don't care who or what she supports.
Hope she'll lead us to a natty. Maybe Dawn should've taught Frank how to recruit.
Bahaha 🤣, Muschamp is an old white man. He's part of the devil's crew according to Dawn.

Whoa, there, Mr. High and Mighty. People that punch a time card make this country run on a daily basis.

Whoa, there, Mr. High and Mighty. People that punch a time card make this country run on a daily basis.
Hey, I punched a time card once........the point is a man needs to know his limitations & leave certain decisions to those that work in & know their profession.

Hey, I punched a time card once........the point is a man needs to know his limitations & leave certain decisions to those that work in & know their profession.

If only those in the coaching profession are able to comment on a coach's success or lack of success, you can shut down FGF and most sports talk radio programs NOW!

Dawn has had an amazing run so far- I think the only beacon of light in USC athletics in the last 5 or so years. An underperforming men’s b-ball team makes Coach Dawns team look that much better. Heck yes, she probably wants to keep Frank around.

Reactions: titaniumspur

In sticking up for Martin, Staley said, "...we are in a results-based profession."

What results should South Carolina fans expect? Martin earns $3.15 million per season: 31st highest paid college basketball coach. What is a reasonable return on a $3.15 million annual investment? Is it reasonable to expect SC's men's basketball team to win 65% of its games and make the NCAA Tournament 3 out of 5 years?

The guy does look worn out this year - I think getting C-19 twice has not helped his health or the ability to fully coach this year. He is Carolina's only basketball coach that got us to the final four yet we have people on this forum puking on him. We are not going to get the 1 and done players and recruiting in the middle of ACC country that has more tradition than us makes it tough to recruit and no recruit is alive today that knows Frank McGuire.

Also, he has had key players especially in the paint get injured this year. Earlier in the year, I thought that they could beat anyone, then C-19 happened and the team could not get in a rhythm and then the injury bug started to take out the big guys.

I say let Frank Martin coach here until he is ready to retire. And honestly, do you think Tanner can get anyone that is better.

The guy does look worn out this year - I think getting C-19 twice has not helped his health or the ability to fully coach this year. He is Carolina's only basketball coach that got us to the final four yet we have people on this forum puking on him. We are not going to get the 1 and done players and recruiting in the middle of ACC country that has more tradition than us makes it tough to recruit and no recruit is alive today that knows Frank McGuire.

Also, he has had key players especially in the paint get injured this year. Earlier in the year, I thought that they could beat anyone, then C-19 happened and the team could not get in a rhythm and then the injury bug started to take out the big guys.

I say let Frank Martin coach here until he is ready to retire. And honestly, do you think Tanner can get anyone that is better.

Its sounds like SC fans must accept that the Gamecocks cannot compete with teams in the ACC or its SEC foes, yet can SC fans expect its favorite team to compete against the likes of Liberty and Winthrop?

Tanner does not have to fire Martin, but Tanner and Martin do need to make adjustments. If Martin cannot recruit elite talent, he needs to recruit young men who fit his style or he needs to adjust his style to fit the players he can sign. Moreover, he needs to recruit players who have a high ceiling, are coachable, and work hard so that they can compete against more talented players. Does Martin need to hire better recruiters, better teachers, or both?

I want Martin to succeed, and I hope he can "fix" the program as he stated in an earlier interview. When I listen to Martin--Parents Coaching from the Stands and Question from Young Reporter--or read his comments about how adults have changed, I like him.

It would be great if Martin could retire years from now as SC's most successful basketball coach.

I don't want one and dones.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT