ADVERTISEMENT

Deciphering the Tea Cooper, D Deshields, Jolette Law, UT mess

winloseortie

Feb 21, 2007
columbia
This episode of As the Vols Squirm brought to you by win lose or tie.

According to several sources Cooper's transfer was precipitated because she was involved in a rather serious fight with a teammate. She was looking at being suspended by Warlick for a large part of the upcoming season. In light of this it was mutually agreed she could transfer out with no restrictions.

Supposedly (who the hell knows) Deshields thought this was an unfair treatment of her best friend on the team and it put her relationship with Warlick on even shakier footing. When Deshields graduated she went home to Atlanta and not back to Knoxville to participate in summer workouts and practice. Where upon reflection she said, "well I don't need this crap!"

Then Jolette Law, who was the primary recruiter for both Cooper and Deshields, left for the gamecocks. Interestingly enough Law's primary responsibilities were coaching the guards and recruiting.
So Law's deciding to come here seems to be both validation of Dawn and Cooper

thanks for the update

extremely informative

a relief that estrogen was not an issue

DeShields, who transferred to UT after her freshman season at North Carolina, announced in early April that she was returning for a final season rather than enter the WNBA draft, which was an option. She submitted a lengthy post on Instagram, saying that she was returning to "develop my game further" and play for championships. She also stressed the intention to be a "big sister" for the four incoming freshmen.

Since then, DeShields' teammate and friend Te'a Cooper left last month, transferring to South Carolina.

636237416531517603-UT-MS-State-2.jpg

DeShields, who was not on campus for the first session of summer school, responded to Cooper's decision via Twitter. She told Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley "take care of my girl ... got a good one." She told Cooper: "I wish U nothing but the best, I know you'll be great."

The 6-foot-1 DeShields was Tennessee's leading scorer last season, averaging 17.4 points. She shot 42.3 percent from the floor, 33.3 percent on 3-pointers. She was second on the team in assists (110) but led in turnovers (103). She was a first-team All-SEC selection by the league's coaches.

In two seasons at Tennessee, DeShields averaged 15.7 points.

thanks for the update

extremely informative

a relief that estrogen was not an issue

So will there be a fight when we play them Kville next year? Will Dawn even let Tea make the trip? Will Holly shake hands and hug Jolette or just hiss at her? Will Butch Jones say "Ladies, Ladies we are all champions in the game of life here!" Will Deshields show up at the game and which bench will she sit behind? Come on Chucktown, inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
Reactions: NetworkX
I really want to beat UT this upcoming season when we play in their house, for no other reason than because of that BS call against us at the end of that game vs UT when the ref called a blocking foul against Harris when clearly Nared travelled with the ball, giving them 2 undeserved free throws that sealed the game :mad:

Reactions: NetworkX
I really want to beat UT this upcoming season when we play in their house, for no other reason than because of that BS call against us at the end of that game vs UT when the ref called a blocking foul against Harris when clearly Nared travelled with the ball, giving them 2 undeserved free throws that sealed the game :mad:
In the end it didn't matter

Reactions: gamecockblack
This episode of As the Vols Squirm brought to you by win lose or tie.

According to several sources Cooper's transfer was precipitated because she was involved in a rather serious fight with a teammate. She was looking at being suspended by Warlick for a large part of the upcoming season. In light of this it was mutually agreed she could transfer out with no restrictions.

Supposedly (who the hell knows) Deshields thought this was an unfair treatment of her best friend on the team and it put her relationship with Warlick on even shakier footing. When Deshields graduated she went home to Atlanta and not back to Knoxville to participate in summer workouts and practice. Where upon reflection she said, "well I don't need this crap!"

Then Jolette Law, who was the primary recruiter for both Cooper and Deshields, left for the gamecocks. Interestingly enough Law's primary responsibilities were coaching the guards and recruiting.
So Law's deciding to come here seems to be both validation of Dawn and Cooper
The theme on T'ea Cooper being some sort of fight starting meanie and Nared being the poor victim cropped up after Cooper transferred to USC...It might be true...But i sure as heck don't buy it...It's too convenient for Warlicks needed narrative...

there were bs calls against us the whole game...remember Coates and Wilson played less than half the game due to foul trouble..If i recall correctly Aja played only 17 minutes and Coates 20..It was an absolute disgrace...I agree revenge will be soooo sweet

The theme on T'ea Cooper being some sort of fight starting meanie and Nared being the poor victim cropped up after Cooper transferred to USC...It might be true...But i sure as heck don't buy it...It's too convenient for Warlicks needed narrative...
Whether it is true, false, or overblown it seems to have been a factor in DD's decision to not return AND it did not deter Law from coming to us. Other than having their recruiting class ALL the news from UT WBB has been about chaos and dysfunction. Their freshman class will either be infected by the dysfunction or be the agent of change. My bet is dysfunction wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT