ADVERTISEMENT

Defense Has Carried Spurrier's Tenure...

sanfordcock

Oct 9, 2013
here. With the exception of last year, our offense under him has been pedestrian at best. When he came here 11 years ago I thought this team would light up the scoreboard. I recall the first game and Herbstreit commenting that QBs would flock to SC to play for Spurrier. Didn't happen. In fact, we're now starting a walk-on player at QB.

Has it been because of talent, system or scheme, or both? I can't put my finger on it, but overall that side of the ball has been disappointing for the most part.

I've said all along that Connor Shaw hid a lot of recruiting issues we had during the 11 win season runs.

Connor made huge 3d down plays with his feet more so than with his downfield throws. He was why our offense was good. He also moved the chains with his 3d down scrambles which kept our defense on the sideline which in turn helped them out also.

We wouldn't have thought we were relevant at all had we not had Connor Shaw. Spurrier owes Connor Shaw for his success at South Carolina more than any player he's had on the roster since he became South Carolinas head coach.

Reactions: AsianOrange
here. With the exception of last year, our offense under him has been pedestrian at best. When he came here 11 years ago I thought this team would light up the scoreboard. I recall the first game and Herbstreit commenting that QBs would flock to SC to play for Spurrier. Didn't happen. In fact, we're now starting a walk-on player at QB.

Has it been because of talent, system or scheme, or both? I can't put my finger on it, but overall that side of the ball has been disappointing for the most part.

I believe that it is a result of the system that SOS runs. Most high schools run the spread offense/ HUNH and QB usually only have one or two reads and then they take off running. SOS offense requires you to go through a whole progression much like the pro-style offenses. SOS offense is all in timing and throwing to a certain spot. Kids also look at what schools QBs are getting drafted from... How many QBs have we had in SOS tenure that are not on practice squads? (Shaw- who IMHO should have had a better chance to play last year and DT) They see a coach that hasn't put a guy into the league as an everyday starter in I believe sixteen or seventeen years...

I think SOS has hit a homerun with BM coming in next year, hopefully we will use his skill set the correct way and turn things around.

It is a sad situation with receivers this year. Excluding Pharaoh, our receivers have caught a total of 5 passes in 2 games. That is just pathetic.

I've said all along that Connor Shaw hid a lot of recruiting issues we had during the 11 win season runs.

Connor made huge 3d down plays with his feet more so than with his downfield throws. He was why our offense was good. He also moved the chains with his 3d down scrambles which kept our defense on the sideline which in turn helped them out also.

We wouldn't have thought we were relevant at all had we not had Connor Shaw. Spurrier owes Connor Shaw for his success at South Carolina more than any player he's had on the roster since he became South Carolinas head coach.
FWIW, I think you are right on the money with this post. I have often said the same. Connor Shaw won a lot of games for us that we would have otherwise lost.

FWIW, I think you are right on the money with this post. I have often said the same. Connor Shaw won a lot of games for us that we would have otherwise lost.
Well I appreciate your post. I said it from game 1 last year and was told Im an idiot.

It's easy to put blinders on BUT Connor saved Spurrier, very few realize it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT