ADVERTISEMENT

Deflate Gate

usaguy40

Oct 2, 2011
first off i didnt know that each team was able to use their own set of footballs for the offense........secondly, how in the world does tom brady not know that the footballs he is throwing are under inflated?....hes been playing for how long.....you would think he could tell a difference...even just a couple of pounds air pressure......i dont believe him for one minute....jmo

This post was edited on 1/22 11:22 PM by usaguy40

This entire story is blown way out of proportion.
wink.r191677.gif
Who cares, they paid their $25,000 fine. The NFL doesn't care that much so I don't either.

Not a Patriots fan or a Seahawks fan or a Colts fan...so don't have a dog in the hunt.
But think this whole deal is being blown way out of proportion. Pretty ridiculous IMO.

when did they pay a fine.....i didnt think a decision was made yet.....i dont think for one minute that the colts would have beat the patriots even if the patriots spotted them 21pts....but if you cheated to gain an advantage, something should be done...its a rule....whether you or i agree with it doesnt matter......if its proven they did it, they should be penalized....thats why we have rules for fair play.....the patriots dont get to pick and choose when they follow them

Originally posted by usaguy40:
when did they pay a fine.....i didnt think a decision was made yet.....i dont think for one minute that the colts would have beat the patriots even if the patriots spotted them 21pts....but if you cheated to gain an advantage, something should be done...its a rule....whether you or i agree with it doesnt matter......if its proven they did it, they should be penalized....thats why we have rules for fair play.....the patriots dont get to pick and choose when they follow them
Sorry to let the air out of your argument, but holding is against the rules too, and teams get away with it, and it has more effect on the game. Big deal. So yeah, all teams break the rules to win. Already knew that.

This post was edited on 1/23 5:09 AM by ReadR00ster

They should sentence them to playing with over inflated balls for a year. That'll show em

Originally posted by ReadR00ster:

Sorry to let the air out of your argument, but holding is against the rules too, and teams get away with it, and it has more effect on the game. Big deal. So yeah, all teams break the rules to win. Already knew that.

yeah, and sometimes you get caught for holding.......just like the patriots are getting caught for screwing with the footballs

Not that it would have made a difference, because the Patriots were the dominate team, Brady is lying if he said he couldn't tell that the footballs were deflated. Anyone that has thrown a football, can tell the difference, especially a pro QB. He probably told the guys to deflate them.

Dez Bryant makes a clutch twisting catch that the whole world knows is a catch but because of some obscure fine point it's overturned. That's the rule so be it. Now an organization is caught breaking a rule buried deep in the book somewhere. Fine. They need to be held accountable too. Rules are rules.

This entire story is blown way out of proportion.
wink.r191677.gif
Who cares, they paid their $25,000 fine. The NFL doesn't care that much so I don't either.
I feel sure the NFL is not done with this. And now it appears they've been doing this the whole season (someone came out and said the same thing was noticed back in November?) Now I'm PO'd about the whole thing. While yes, they killed the Colts, when they decided to deflate the balls, they didn't know they would kill the Colts, and did it to gain an illegal advantage. Burn 'em. Hard.

Originally posted by FORKCOCK:
They beat the Colts like a rented mule.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Yeah, but...the Pats only beat the Ravens by 4 points in the divisional round and NE only had 14 yards rushing in that game. Brady's passing was the difference. What are the chances they were cheating in that game as well?

and where is the ball boy for the patriots....is he wearing concrete shoes at the bottom of a lake or did he get put in the witness protection program

This is a media driven circus. Now both teams are going to have to get their balls checked before each game.

Brady can tell between a 12.5 lb and a 13.5 lb ball but does not notice a 10.5 lb ball? Riggghhht.

Originally posted by gamecockdad:
This is a media driven circus. Now both teams are going to have to get their balls checked before each game.
their gonna need more doctors then.....one doc two hands will just take wayyyyyyyyyy too long

definitely a media circus

yeah, and sometimes you get caught for holding.......just like the patriots are getting caught for screwing with the footballs
And some times you don't get caught. If they don't catch the holding in the game don't go back and look at the tape and launch investigation. It's oh,well we missed one. Should be the same situation here. If the NFL officials can't catch them during the game, they need to let it go. If they catch them. 15 yard penalty.

i heard that they did catch them during the game and started using the colts footballs instead.....not afterwards

There's a joke about Brady and how he likes balls to feel in his hands in here somewhere...

Originally posted by Quisp:
Dez Bryant makes a clutch twisting catch that the whole world knows is a catch but because of some obscure fine point it's overturned. That's the rule so be it. Now an organization is caught breaking a rule buried deep in the book somewhere. Fine. They need to be held accountable too. Rules are rules.
Then the Lions got screwed with that logic.. 15 yard unsportsmanlike against Dallas (and your beloved DEZ) would have ended game.. I dont care for the Colts, Patriots or Seahawks, but this is a case of "Sour Grapes" from Ravens and Colts, PERIOD!! Patriots would have beat the colts playing with Medicine balls..

Originally posted by Quisp:
It wasn't because of some obscure rule, it was because someone made a bad judgment call that he was still in the process of completing the catch when he was clearly done with the catch trying and trying to stretch the ball over the goal line. It was a bad call, not a bad rule.

Balls were deflated before the game. To give them an advantage. They just happened to beat the Colts like a rented mule. You guys are missing the point! If a pitcher doctors a baseball but his own team scores 10 runs he's still cheating.

Originally posted by Judson1:

Balls were deflated before the game. To give them an advantage. They just happened to beat the Colts like a rented mule. You guys are missing the point! If a pitcher doctors a baseball but his own team scores 10 runs he's still cheating.
Exactly. Some of the views and logic on this thread are so stupid its unreal. Using some of this twisted logic, point shaving in a game is OK, as long as it doesn't change who wins? Or, If a team is caught paying off the referees, it doesn't matter as long as there aren't enough bad calls to change the outcome of the game? Seriously? It's like they're saying since the margin of victory was so big, the cheating doesn't matter. HELLO, THE SIZE OF THE VICTORY DOES NOT MAKE CHEATING OK FOLKS! IT'S STILL CHEATING!

Originally posted by 85alum#:

Exactly. Some of the views and logic on this thread are so stupid its unreal. Using some of this twisted logic, point shaving in a game is OK, as long as it doesn't change who wins? Or, If a team is caught paying off the referees, it doesn't matter as long as there aren't enough bad calls to change the outcome of the game? Seriously? It's like they're saying since the margin of victory was so big, the cheating doesn't matter. HELLO, THE SIZE OF THE VICTORY DOES NOT MAKE CHEATING OK FOLKS! IT'S STILL CHEATING!
^ ^ ^ Thanks for posting this ^ ^ ^

I've been thinking this (what you said) for days. Much of the talk nationally and on this board have been disappointing but not surprising.

As anyone who has every played baseball can attest, the harder you grip a ball, the slower the velocity. Grip creates extra friction. That's why you hold a fastball like an egg and a change-up like your... well, you know. And Tom Brady did play baseball and was selected in the MLB draft. So, I'm sure he's well aware of how grip impacts velocity.

People did the math on this and said a 2psi deflation could give you around 1 or 1.5 millimeter of extra grip pressure. If you used that extra grip pressure, the velocity and maximum distance of the ball would be lower by varying degrees. In the NFL, where the passing windows are so small, it doesn't make much sense to lower velocity on purpose. At worst, you're trading some additional control for a reduction in velocity and distance.

To me, that makes it unlikely that Brady specifically wanted a significant reduction in pressure. Nevermind he played much better in the second half with 13psi balls.

Exactly Brady is the NFL golden boy. Kicks Ed Reed in the crotch 2 years ago and no flag. Whines like a spoiled child when things don't go his way.

Originally posted by 85alum#:

Everyone cheats to a small degree. That is what this a small degree of cheating. This should be a 15 yard penalty just like any other 15 yard penalty. It's no bigger a deal that that. If the NFL cares so much about this than they need to do a better job checking the balls. How about hire someone $20 and hour to check them during the games. They only make billions of dollars I the NFL can afford to hire a ball checker.

When the temperature of the ball drops, so does the pressure. Nothing to see here, move along.

plenty of people are questioning his honesty.....he said himself in the press conference he likes his footballs at 12.5 psi.....that thats perfect for him.....yet he couldnt tell a difference in the game......yeah right
The Brady stuff is cute, the reporters did a good job of trying to lead him into bad answers and he accommodated with some odd answers. But it's sort of meaningless because no one is asking the NFL the hard questions.

There is really a series of questions the media should have been asking the NFL immediately, before this moved into the scandal phase.

1. Do referees always inspect every game football using a pressure gauge? If yes, move to question 2. If no, scandal over. Do a better job writing your rules and ensuring the officials enforce them. We still don't have an actual answer to this and stories have leaked out that some officiating crews use the "feel test" on some or all of the footballs. All the NFL will say is the footballs were inspected before the game and measured with a gauge at half time and after the game.

2. Do referees write down or electronically capture the PSI of each football for both teams? At the very least, is there a record of the average PSI for each team? If yes, move to question 3. In no, the scandal storyline has a problem. You have no record. You don't know at what PSI level the balls started. And you're taking the referees word that every ball was inspected and within the proper range.

3. If every football is measured with a pressure gauge and the PSI is captured, what is the margin off error for the pressure measuring device?

If the NFL can confirm the referees use a pressure gauge on every single ball, catalog the results for each team and the margin of error for the device used is small, then someone working for the Patriots almost certainly took air out of the balls after they were approved. If the NFL doesn't have a good answer to the three questions above, they are going to have a hard time proving anything other than the Patriots submitted balls that were likely below 12.5 psi and the referees still approved them. Moreover, it shows the league doesn't really take the ball pressure issue very seriously.

This post was edited on 1/23 10:41 PM by _NOVA_

This post was edited on 1/23 10:42 PM by _NOVA_

Originally posted by coxman:

When the temperature of the ball drops, so does the pressure. Nothing to see here, move along.
and this may be so, but why hasnt this happened before.....about half the teams in the nfl play where it gets colder than that.....ive never heard of deflating problems before because of cold weather.....now all of a sudden we do
confused0024.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT