ADVERTISEMENT

Deion praise for USC

18IsTheMan

Oct 1, 2014
For sending a weekly report on his son's progress:

“We get a report from the school every week on his progress, and I love it,” Deion Sanders said in the video, sporting a script Carolina shirt. “They send me everything he’s doing, in the weight room, in the classroom, everything. I love that about South Carolina.

Don't know if this is standard for all schools, but seems like a great idea all around.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article231386578.html#storylink=cpy

“We get a report from the school every week on his progress, and I love it,” Deion Sanders said in the video, sporting a script Carolina shirt. “They send me everything he’s doing, in the weight room, in the classroom, everything. I love that about South Carolina.

Don't know if this is standard for all schools, but seems like a great idea all around.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article231386578.html#storylink=cpy
Weekly progress reports to mommies is for 5th graders, not college kids.

Hey, if parents like it, as Deion does, then it's nothing but good for recruiting. Need every advantage we can get. I'm for anything legal that gives us a recruiting edge.
This.

Boom gets it.

Deion has another sought-after son coming up. If this makes Deion happy enough to give us a leg up for landing Shedeur, then I have ZERO problem with it.

Hey, if parents like it, as Deion does, then it's nothing but good for recruiting. Need every advantage we can get. I'm for anything legal that gives us a recruiting edge.

Yep a lot of parents are not ready to let go of their child as a freshman, or think maybe their "star" has been a little to coddled and not fully mature and want to follow or they are invested in getting their kid to the NFL and want to follow.

I think its great obviously a actual parent loves it. Every situation is different but maybe things like this helped us with the Wonnum family, getting the second son.

Reactions: gamecockblack

I believe a number of schools do this now. I know we have done it for a while, at least as long as Jeff Davis has been back (of course ours is to make sure the NewSpring check went through;))

I believe a number of schools do this now. I know we have done it for a while, at least as long as Jeff Davis has been back (of course ours is to make sure the NewSpring check went through;))
It's a cultural thing. I'm finally starting to understand it.

It's a way for parents to keep their distance instead of hovering over and pestering their child while they are growing. They still want to be a part of their life even though they left the nest.

I was kind of an *** to my parents my freshman year. I just wanted them to dump all my stuff near Moore and then disappear to let me take care of everything.

In retrospect, it was a big moment in my life and I wasn't allowing them to be a part of it. I think it's a good middle ground for these young men.

FERPA would not allow USC to do such without his consent.
I'm not talking about FERPA consent. I'm talking about expectations for adults.

And as I like to tell parents, FERPA allows me to speak with you. It doesn't require it.

Everybody hates that college students behave like children, but ya'll think weekly reports to their moms is a good idea? The people that fought in died at Normandy were their age, FFS. Let them leave their childhood.

Reactions: Brace1
Additional conditions in play, versus a typical non-sport student. A "potential" (based on pedigree) first rounder in NFL will make many, many times the starting salary of a typical non-sport student. As a former NFL player, Deion will be able spot any shortcuts in training that could end up costing millions of dollars in the near future. As I said, a lot more at play here.

What about the young men on the team that’s not working out? or we sending progress reports home on them too? It’s just Muschamp pandering to a famous parent and I don’t care if it is to try and land Sheudeur Sanders. What kind of message is that to send, especially to a man like Deion Sanders who probably gonna judge us on how his Son turns out. Muschamp need to let every player “we sign” know that he’s in charge after they’re on campus! Mom and Dad is not there and it’s time to face realities of the real world.

I don't think this is as big a deal as some think it is we don't know what agreements coaches have with parents. I don't think Muschamp is sucking up to anybody but if he is Dion would be a good choice. I think it's a non-story and besides the player has to agree.

I wonder if we just started that. I thought it was standard. It is very important part of Athletics today. We did it throughout my High School coaching career, except for the 70s. The accountability is wonderful for teenagers in high school. I am glad that we do this.
on a side note: Because my neighbors and I like to trash Fat Brad alot and we allow a tater neighbor to grill out with us sometimes, he has told us that this is fat Brad's job at taterU - parent/player/coaching staff liaison. Progress reports, player/parent questions and focusing on all freshmen 24/7. I do not know the truth of that, but he has not been a coach in a while.
I did notice that he was on the sideline like he was a coach or something when we played them.

I don't think it is pandering to one player/dad. All of our players now seem to be getting top notch support from housing, facilities, atheletic, and academic support. From What I've seen not just coach Muschamp's program, but our entire athletic department as a whole is now doing what it takes to put us in position to be successful. I know that we all have our gripes, but I've been a Carolina fan for a long time, and can't ever say that I've seen this level of commitment to success at all levels. Now whether or not that translates to victories on the field has yet to be determined, but I can tell you one thing, our coaches/players can't complain that they are not given everything needed to succeed. We just need to do our parts as fans!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dream come true <a href="https://t.co/bSo3p4ZFZS">pic.twitter.com/bSo3p4ZFZS</a></p>&mdash; Gamecock Football (@GamecockFB) <a href="">June 3, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Everybody hates that college students behave like children, but ya'll think weekly reports to their moms is a good idea? The people that fought in died at Normandy were their age, FFS. Let them leave their childhood.

You ever put a kid through college? Being a 18 yr old makes you legally an adult, it doesn’t make you smart. And I agree with your comments about the kids fighting at Normandy. I still think if you can die for your country you should be able to drink a beer with your pizza without breaking the law. Now with that said, as soon as your freshman son gets his underage drinking charge, and calls home for help, maybe it would be best to tell him hey you’re an adult and deal with it. I find it fascinating that those “adults” are as needy as a five-year-old much of the time in college.

I remember being at orientation and sitting with my son and the counselor as he signed up for classes. Also remember they wanted money for my son to attend college. Go figure. They informed me there was a form my son can sign to give me access to his grades as well as Anything to do with finances and payments to the college. My son did not care but jokingly said to me you know I don’t really have to sign this. I told him that is very true, and I don’t have to pay for your college. He signed it with a smile on his face. So there’s two sides always to that ”adult” debate.

Last edited:
You know when you read about these obnoxious parents that keep their children in a perpetual state infancy, crippling their ability to grown into capable adults ? They're talking about you people.

It's a completely different world we are living in.
The world is a lot more complicated than it was in the 40s. In ways; kids are having to grow up faster than you and most of us have had to.

There's so many distractions and so much input saturation in today's world that is overhwelming these kids growing up.

Prioritization is not a strong point for any teenager... it takes a level of wisdom to truly set appropriate priorities.

Things I had to deal with in high school and college; kids today are dealing with in elementary school.

I was never exposed to any drugs growing up except for pot growing up. My first weekend in the dorm; I walked in on someone doing a line of cocaine.

God only knows what's going now on campus. Everyone needs different support structures and i'm perfectly fine with it if a young man needs it. This is no where near in the realm of being a 'helicopter parent'.

Weekly progress reports to mommies is for 5th graders, not college kids.
Are you a parent? I've got one who just finished at Clemson and has landed a good job. I have another, in his second year at LeTourneau University in Texas. It's like pulling teeth to get any information on how they're doing. Trust me, most parents would want to know. We tend to only hear anything when it's bad. I for one like the "Big Brother" approach when it comes to our kids.

Are you a parent? I've got one who just finished at Clemson and has landed a good job. I have another, in his second year at LeTourneau University in Texas. It's like pulling teeth to get any information on how they're doing. Trust me, most parents would want to know. We tend to only hear anything when it's bad. I for one like the "Big Brother" approach when it comes to our kids.
No. I don't have kids in college. I'm a professor and an administrator. I think helicopter parenting is obnoxious and undermines the growth of the student. But that's just me.

Reactions: Brace1
The world is a lot more complicated than it was in the 40s. In ways; kids are having to grow up faster than you and most of us have had to.

There's so many distractions and so much input saturation in today's world that is overhwelming these kids growing up.

Prioritization is not a strong point for any teenager... it takes a level of wisdom to truly set appropriate priorities.

Things I had to deal with in high school and college; kids today are dealing with in elementary school.

I was never exposed to any drugs growing up except for pot growing up. My first weekend in the dorm; I walked in on someone doing a line of cocaine.

God only knows what's going now on campus. Everyone needs different support structures and i'm perfectly fine with it if a young man needs it. This is no where near in the realm of being a 'helicopter parent'.

This is no way true. In the 1940's, the kids coming out of school were going into the military to fight fascism or entering the workforce as part of the Arsenal of Democracy. Kids today live in form of arrested development because we don't have jobs for them that pay enough to buy houses or raise families.

Bingo, whoever compared this generation to kids to the greatest generation who served in WW II, please stop. Its a completely different world today and different influences and factors. Im so glad I grew up the 80's, today is much different then even then.

Bingo, whoever compared this generation to kids to the greatest generation who served in WW II, please stop. Its a completely different world today and different influences and factors. Im so glad I grew up the 80's, today is much different then even then.
Do you think the world is a tougher place for the typical 18 year old now than the 1940s? Really?

How about this: All you coddling, swaddling parents never, ever make another crack about "Millennials" or "safe spaces" or "snowflakes" ever again. If you want to know why they don't act like adults, look no further than the mirror. The only thing wrong with young people is you won't let them grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT