ADVERTISEMENT

Deion praise for USC

Do you think the world is a tougher place for the typical 18 year old now than the 1940s? Really?

Everybody hates that college students behave like children, but ya'll think weekly reports to their moms is a good idea? The people that fought in died at Normandy were their age, FFS. Let them leave their childhood.

Not saying the world is a tougher place, I think its different, I think this generation is different then the 1940's and saying well the kids in 1940's were mature enough to die in a war, these kids are mature enough to not have their parents getting info as freshman, is a bad comparison, the greatest generation has that nickname for a reason, i dont think they are equal which was my interpretation of your statement, which could always be a wrong interpretation.

I think the kids today (this is a massive generalization and my opinion), and not all cases, but they have been coddled more, they got participation trophies growing up, they don't play outside as much, they are creative in different ways, more social media savvy and less inventing games with their friends like we did in the 1980's when our Mom would send us outside for the day, they can look up info at a moments notice on their device, they use their brain differently, they have shorter attention spans, and are in some cases less motivated.

But then they have more negative influences at a younger age to deal with as well

They need some reports, the parents sign off it, like it, what is the big deal?

Last edited:
Reactions: vehemon
Not saying the world is a tougher place, I think its different, I think this generation is different then the 1940's and saying well the kids in 1940's were mature enough to die in a war, these kids are mature enough to not have their parents getting info as freshman, is a bad comparison, the greatest generation has that nickname for a reason, i dont think they are equal which was my interpretation of your statement, which could always be a wrong interpretation.

I think the kids today (this is a massive generalization and my opinion), and not all cases, but they have been more coddled more, they got participation trophies growing up, they don't play outside as much, they dont have to be as creative, they can look up info at a moments notice on their ipad or phone or computer, they use their brain less, they have shorter attention spans, and are in some cases less motivated.

They need some reports, the parents sign off it, like it, what is the big deal?
I didn't say it was a big deal, though I can't imagine the hours that go into weekly athletic/academic reports for hundreds of student athletes.

I said it sounded like something for grammar school kids, not young adults experiencing the challenges and complexities of life away from home. But if you want weekly updates from your kids on their grades and bench press, great. Have at it. But I'm not calling you back. Those issues are between you and your student.

Reactions: vehemon
Societal debates aside, this is all about recruiting. If the parents like it and the kid's ok with it, that's all that matters.

It seems like it's something other programs were already doing. We were just behind the recruiting curve.

Do you think the world is a tougher place for the typical 18 year old now than the 1940s? Really?

How about this: All you coddling, swaddling parents never, ever make another crack about "Millennials" or "safe spaces" or "snowflakes" ever again. If you want to know why they don't act like adults, look no further than the mirror. The only thing wrong with young people is you won't let them grow up.
You have some points but trivailizing what others are saying. No one said it was tougher. Just different.

My grandfather used to say that anyone out past 9:00 PM is only causing trouble.
I've had jobs in the past that I would have to go into the office at 2:00 AM to settle a London problem after a code release.

I guess I was causing trouble but in a different way.

I'm not sure how talking about kids going into the military in the 40s and kids nowadays got compared.

I didn't say it was a big deal, though I can't imagine the hours that go into weekly athletic/academic reports for hundreds of student athletes.

I said it sounded like something for grammar school kids, not young adults experiencing the challenges and complexities of life away from home. But if you want weekly updates from your kids on their grades and bench press, great. Have at it. But I'm not calling you back. Those issues are between you and your student.
I think I understand why part of your name here is “Bong”.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Disagree.The world is no tougher now than before. In fact it is not as tough.

We have grown softer and we are making our children softer than us.
Being young now is no different than being young any other time no matter what generation we live in it's just a change in eras. I agree this generation is a generation of entitlements and in many cases a lack of acclaim for what they were handed. They reside in the world of participation trophies and video games and many too fat for military service. "The children now love luxury; they have bad manners,contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter over exercise. Children are now tyrants, they no longer rise when adults enter the room".....Socrates said that somewhere around 399 BC.

For sending a weekly report on his son's progress:

“We get a report from the school every week on his progress, and I love it,” Deion Sanders said in the video, sporting a script Carolina shirt. “They send me everything he’s doing, in the weight room, in the classroom, everything. I love that about South Carolina.

Don't know if this is standard for all schools, but seems like a great idea all around.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article231386578.html#storylink=cpy
Weekly progress reports to mommies is for 5th graders, not college kids.

Dabo is babysitting Herbstreit's kids the next 4 years.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
You cannot overstate how good this publicity is for Gamecock Football. How do your rivals negatively spin this for recruiting? It's impossible, assuming we win in the next few years.

Reactions: 92Pony
Same bunghole or different one? Didn’t think y’all were allowed to breed.
I'm not sure which is worse - your grammar or sense of humor. Either way, you should sit this one out. This is a conversation about college, which you clearly didn't attend.

I'm not sure which is worse - your grammar or sense of humor. Either way, you should sit this one out. This is a conversation about college, which you clearly didn't attend.
Yea right. Bachelors and Masters degree here. However your daycare certificate doesn’t count. You’re partially right about one thing. This conversation is about college football, which I think you know nothing about. Btw, stop pinching pennies and move over to TIF.

Yea right. Bachelors and Masters degree here. However your daycare certificate doesn’t count. You’re partially right about one thing. This conversation is about college football, which I think you know nothing about. Btw, stop pinching pennies and move over to TIF.
Jesus, you should ask for a refund and apology.

I work for an athletic dept. I might've picked up a thing or two more than the experts on TIF. But thanks anyway.

Just because you clean floors at the YMCA doesn’t mean you pick up anything in their athletic department, except the trash.
One of us in this conversation works on these issues with student-athletes everyday and sees how coddling stunts their maturation. One of us talks to their parents and coaches about boundaries. The other person is you.

One of us in this conversation works on these issues with student-athletes everyday and sees how coddling stunts their maturation. One of us talks to their parents and coaches about boundaries. The other person is you.
You keep raising the ante. I keep getting better but am tired of playing this silly game with you. You’re obviously good at pulling words from thin air in an attempt to make a point. Personally I believe you should change your screen name to the “Make Up Fairy”. It is really precious to watch you talk about things you don’t understand though. Enjoy yourself. I won’t be responding again, no matter what I think of your statement.

You keep raising the ante. I keep getting better but am tired of playing this silly game with you. You’re obviously good at pulling words from thin air in an attempt to make a point. Personally I believe you should change your screen name to the “Make Up Fairy”. It is really precious to watch you talk about things you don’t understand though. Enjoy yourself. I won’t be responding again, no matter what I think of your statement.
I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

“We get a report from the school every week on his progress, and I love it,” Deion Sanders said in the video, sporting a script Carolina shirt. “They send me everything he’s doing, in the weight room, in the classroom, everything. I love that about South Carolina.

Don't know if this is standard for all schools, but seems like a great idea all around.

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-football/article231386578.html#storylink=cpy
I know this is well-intentioned, but it just seems to enable helicopter parenting.

I know this is well-intentioned, but it just seems to enable helicopter parenting.

Clemson just moves the families there. Would you prefer that we did that?

I don't think it is pandering to one player/dad. All of our players now seem to be getting top notch support from housing, facilities, atheletic, and academic support. From What I've seen not just coach Muschamp's program, but our entire athletic department as a whole is now doing what it takes to put us in position to be successful. I know that we all have our gripes, but I've been a Carolina fan for a long time, and can't ever say that I've seen this level of commitment to success at all levels. Now whether or not that translates to victories on the field has yet to be determined, but I can tell you one thing, our coaches/players can't complain that they are not given everything needed to succeed. We just need to do our parts as fans!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dream come true <a href="https://t.co/bSo3p4ZFZS">pic.twitter.com/bSo3p4ZFZS</a></p>&mdash; Gamecock Football (@GamecockFB) <a href=" ">June 3, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

USCrown, thanks for this. The video of Donnell Stanley and Coach Bentley fishing brings me as much joy as the Dion/Shiloh Sanders video.

USCrown, thanks for this. The video of Donnell Stanley and Coach Bentley fishing brings me as much joy as the Dion/Shiloh Sanders video.

No problem. There's a lot of good stuff out there from our University. I actually wouldn't mind if they started a gamecock network and showcased more of our coaches, teams, players, students, university, etc... Got me kind of pumped for the season. If our team continues to put in the work, we may surprise some people this year!

Reactions: Mr CockStrong
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT