ADVERTISEMENT

Deion Sanders named next HFC at Jackson State

SmokinSmile

52 yo, first head coaching job at any level including pop warner, hall of famer....

why not?

Reactions: Brace1
And will be coaching Shedeur in college? (that’s going to be my prediction). A de-commitment from FAU to Jacksonville St, doesn’t seem like a big reach.

And will be coaching Shedeur in college? (that’s going to be my prediction). A de-commitment from FAU to Jacksonville St, doesn’t seem like a big reach.

It’s Jackson State in Mississippi I think. Isn’t Jacksonville St the other gamecocks?

Norvell is off to a rocky start in Tallahassee. If Deion proves himself to be an effective HC and Norvell is pushed out in a couple of years, why not Deion? Lots of “ifs” but you never know. And he said publicly he wanted the FSU job when Taggart was fried.

Norvell is off to a rocky start in Tallahassee. If Deion proves himself to be an effective HC and Norvell is pushed out in a couple of years, why not Deion? Lots of “ifs” but you never know. And he said publicly he wanted the FSU job when Taggart was fried.
That was a pipe dream and he knew it. A major school isn't going to hire someone to coach whose coaching experience is "Coaches told me what to do in HS, college and the NFL."

Reactions: Cock-Vader
Publicity move for Jackson State.

Deion obviously taking advantage to prove he can coach.

Bold move that will most likely pay off. There has been a push for athletes to look to go the HBCU route for a number of reasons - this push recently culminated in 5-star basketball prospect Makur Maker picking Howard over UCLA. Add in NIL payments that are upcoming, and many high-major programs are going to be losing recruiting battles to HBCU schools like Jackson St. HBCU's can't offer NIL opportunities to a large number of players like a Power 5 can, but they can offer equal or greater opportunities for a handful of legit four and five star guys each year. On that level you don't need a whole team of studs to win, and their fanbases will be completely invigorated and engaged with the new talent.

I believe Primetime is the offensive coordinator for his son's HS team. The offense looked very good in the one ESPN game that I saw them play. Primetime is arguably the most popular ex-player among players. Players just light up when they get to talk to him on the NFL Network. If he can coach at all, he will get players. The key will be does he really want to do this. If he does, this will be good for Jackson St. in the short term and good for college football in the long run.

Some names reportedly joining Deion’s staff: Warren Sapp coaching D-line and Terrell Owens coaching receivers. In a year they’ll have a better recruiting class than any Group of 5 team.

Reactions: mavcock
Some names reportedly joining Deion’s staff: Warren Sapp coaching D-line and Terrell Owens coaching receivers. In a year they’ll have a better recruiting class than any Group of 5 team.
I don't see Owens lasting long in that role. If FSU stinks it up and Norvell gets the axe (what is his buyout?), this staff goes to FSU in a year like Expat and Paladin said earlier.

I don't see Owens lasting long in that role. If FSU stinks it up and Norvell gets the axe (what is his buyout?), this staff goes to FSU in a year like Expat and Paladin said earlier.

I could see that. Though now Sapp and Owens are claiming they aren’t in. Deion says he’s going to have over 80 years of NFL playing and coaching experience on his staff - so we’ll see what up his sleeve.

Sapp has had some embarrassing legal issues in the past. I can’t understand how any university could justify hiring him to coach student athletes.

I could see that. Though now Sapp and Owens are claiming they aren’t in. Deion says he’s going to have over 80 years of NFL playing and coaching experience on his staff - so we’ll see what up his sleeve.
And he's never over-hyped himself before, so it must be true!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT