ADVERTISEMENT

Demetris Summers sentenced to 8 years after pleading guilty

rockingamecock

Aug 28, 2001
Soda City
manufacturing and distributing crack cocaine . . . . he was maybe the biggest bust in the history of SC football . . . unreal.

I think it was the tough loss at UT in 2003. He was unstoppable, bouncing off defensive players left and right.....sad

There are underlying issues for him. No one should judge. The state of South Carolina has already done that. I hate it for him. Drugs have destroyed many lives and there will be more to come. Kids out here dropping like flies. Tearing families apart in the process. It's just extremely sad and there is no end in site. As I can witness, it doesn't matter how much money you have, who your dad is or how good you can run a football. Addiction is for real.

There are underlying issues for him. No one should judge. The state of South Carolina has already done that. I hate it for him. Drugs have destroyed many lives and there will be more to come. Kids out here dropping like flies. Tearing families apart in the process. It's just extremely sad and there is no end in site. As I can witness, it doesn't matter how much money you have, who your dad is or how good you can run a football. Addiction is for real.
Addictition is indeed real, but the decision to take drugs in the first place is made by only one person. Life offers many more options when one avoids drugs in the first place.

DW ran into some drug problems too. Think he's in jail in the upstate for a few years.

Maybe ole coach Ringer was right after all. He wouldn't put him on the Shrine Bowl.
I have to call bull on this one. He was the best player in the state that year and the short period he played at USC he showed the talent he had behind a lackluster offensive line. He had 167 yards against UT his freshman year. He may have had problems but talent wasn't one of those problems.

One of the saddest parts of it for me is, him getting away further from home (not being a gamecock) may have been a better situation for him. Thought this about one of our more recent players from Lex as well.

Reactions: NOLAwdt
One of the saddest parts of it for me is, him getting away further from home (not being a gamecock) may have been a better situation for him. Thought this about one of our more recent players from Lex as well.

The saddest part to me is those he associated with didnt kick his butt for doing the same stupid crap they were doing. Thankfully, all of us are given an opportunity to forgive and be forgiven. Hope Summers realizes this and begins that process of healing while serving his sentence.

Are you kidding me!!!!! Being an addict is one thing but this bastard was Manufacturing & Distrbuting....Yes I can judge this....he does not belong on this earth with law abiding citizens....he may have sold drugs to someone who may have died or worse, a first time user who will be hooked for life....

Anyone who does this is a piece of $hit....

Are you kidding me!!!!! Being an addict is one thing but this bastard was Manufacturing & Distrbuting....Yes I can judge this....he does not belong on this earth with law abiding citizens....he may have sold drugs to someone who may have died or worse, a first time user who will be hooked for life....

Are you kidding me? Who are you to judge? You really think the death sentence is appropriate?

Listen this man didn't grow the plant, he wasn't the chemist who turned the plant into cocaine. He wasn't the person who packaged the drugs and smuggled it across the border into this country. He didn't create the huge demand in America for drugs.

He was the small time end of the road user/seller. He didn't leave his town to get it. These guys are limited on opportunities and he saw a way to make a few bucks. He got caught and will pay his debt to society. 8 years of his life at that.

This country is so divided. Can you empathize at all?

Are you kidding me? Who are you to judge? You really think the death sentence is appropriate?

Listen this man didn't grow the plant, he wasn't the chemist who turned the plant into cocaine. He wasn't the person who packaged the drugs and smuggled it across the border into this country. He didn't create the huge demand in America for drugs.

He was the small time end of the road user/seller. He didn't leave his town to get it. These guys are limited on opportunities and he saw a way to make a few bucks. He got caught and will pay his debt to society. 8 years of his life at that.

Right and nobody MADE him sell the drugs for years. It's called responsibility for your own actions I'm sure he's blaming someone else too. Anyway, he has eight long years to regret it.

When I was a kid old white guys I'm white but played ball in the hood. Would ride down the road holding money out the window. Right beside where the court was. And people would serve them. It was sketchy.

He was an addict first then dealer. He will pay his debt. But like above poster said. This country was built on drugs. During prohibition my great grandfather ran shine. My uncle was the sheriff. Same story in every small town.
Addicts do chose the first, it's usually a beer. Then shot. Then weed. Then something else. The smarter more curious type is prone to give it a try. Some people then say that's enough. Unless you're talking about heroine. I got a dui and went to rehab and while there I met about 300 kids 18-25 male and female in the 2 years since, 70 have died. I'm talking about good friends. 2 weeks ago I lost a dear friend.
When I go to judge people I remember Sarah. Who's brother would tie her up for his dealer and others to rape so he could get drugs. When she was 12.

I guess she didn't have a choice or maybe she was just too weak.

She's sober now last I heard.

This isn't the old days. Some people don't stand up to peer pressure because they want to have friends.
My 2 cent.

Reactions: tngamecock#
Demetris was failed by adults from the moment he stepped on a high school field.

He was coddled and covered anytime he got into any kind of trouble. He lived a life without consequences at an impressionable age.

Lou Holtz made matters worse. He was more concerned with Summers's talent than his wellbeing.

Obviously, there is personal responsibility, on his part, but his leaders failed to teach him that.

Right and nobody MADE him sell the drugs for years. It's called responsibility for your own actions I'm sure he's blaming someone else too. Anyway, he has eight long years to regret it.
We also live in a society where drug dealing is glorified. We see it on tv and we hear it in music. Most kids, especially those in poor neighborhoods don't grow up looking at drug deals as bad guys. They're seen as the cool cat on the corner with nice clothes and driving a nice car.

It is glorified just like using is. Just like having sex is. Just like using guns is. Just like every bad thing for our country is. McDonalds kills more people than meth but every child is indoctrinated into craving their terrible food( I'm a chef).
I spent a summer in yellow stone. Year before last. And had no tv internet or cell service. Best 5 months of my life.

The only tv was in the bar, I made them watch SC football every game. Lol too bad we sucked and I had to watch spurrier retire in front of my staff after talking is up all summer.

Reactions: funktavious
I don't feel sorry for him . It's all on him .

You're right it's ultimately his responsibility, but I don't take delight in others failing. It's a shame when anyone falls way short of what they have the potential to be.

A lot of folks around Lexington did everything they could to try and steer him in the right direction. I hope it doesn't discourage them from trying to do things for the next young man that may be very deserving of help and worth the effort.

I hope for his and his children's sake he can get himself on track over the next 8 years.

Did not say death sentence...8 yrs is probably not enough....ANYONE who manufactures and sells drugs needs to be sentenced for long stretches of time....addicts who are users need help, I have compassion here...but manufacturing meth, crack, etc and selling it, that's a different ball of wax....

If Summers had sold drugs to someone who overdosed and died, should he get life in prison? You'll never know whether that is the case or not...what if he sold drugs to a young kid who was trying it for the first time and got hooked? Does that deserve life in prison also? Either way a dealer/manufacturer is the worst of the worst...

Did not say death sentence...8 yrs is probably not enough....ANYONE who manufactures and sells drugs needs to be sentenced for long stretches of time....addicts who are users need help, I have compassion here...but manufacturing meth, crack, etc and selling it, that's a different ball of wax....

If Summers had sold drugs to someone who overdosed and died, should he get life in prison? You'll never know whether that is the case or not...what if he sold drugs to a young kid who was trying it for the first time and got hooked? Does that deserve life in prison also? Either way a dealer/manufacturer is the worst of the worst...

Actually, I can think of a lot that is worse.

Not trying to argue any point in this thread other than first time use does not addict anybody to any drug. That's just patently false. It's easier to have debates about why, when and how people become addicts when we avoid dishonest statements.

If McDonald's sells a hamburger that kills someone does Ronald McDonald go to jail? Does the hamburgular break him out? Tune in next week, to...if a Bull Frog had wings.

Thank god grace is given not earned or heaven would have a population of 1......Don't forget that people.

Until we get serious about the problem as a nation it's only going to get worse. Adopt Colorado approach to Weed. The weed transaction shouldn't be a back alley experience. Where kids get exposed to the harder drugs. Or buy some laced weed.

Get serious about mental health. And knock these smuggling cartels out once and for all. But tackling big Pharma is virtually impossible.

Until we get serious about the problem as a nation it's only going to get worse. Adopt Colorado approach to Weed. The weed transaction shouldn't be a back alley experience. Where kids get exposed to the harder drugs. Or buy some laced weed.

Get serious about mental health. And knock these smuggling cartels out once and for all. But tackling big Pharma is virtually impossible.

This… Richard Nixon declared war on drugs in 1970. And since then we’ve been “fighting the good fight”, putting these dealers behind bars, more and more prison time, stopping it at the boarders, etc. How’s that working out? It’s been almost 50 years man. The “lock ‘em up and throw away the key” method doesn’t work or it would have already. As the saying goes, the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results. We’ve been doing the same thing since the 70s. It didn't work then, it didn't work in the 80s or 90s. And it's not going to work now.

Is it harder to get drugs? Have we shut down the organizations that sell them? Have we made our country and kids safer? No, no, and uhhh… you guessed it… no. It’s time to try a different method. Maybe not throwing these people in jail for a decade and ruining their lives? Maybe we could try helping them find a different path and becoming productive members of society instead of (10 years from now) being an ex con with a rap sheet and no way to find a job or support themselves or their family. It’s better than the same old same old that we KNOW doesn’t work.

I agree. More treatment, more education. Legalize Marijuana. Tax it.

Crack down hard on the cartels. We can shut them down but it would take a major effort. And more opportunities for rural areas and inner cities.
I'm not sure after those ideas.

But I know we look to Washington to often to solve our problems. If a community especially small towns want to change they can. But it takes all hands on deck approach. There's no reason a small town like Kingstree should have the drug problem it does. And total lack of jobs.

I wonder what would happen if we went after the drug business like we fight terrorism. Cruise missile the meth labs. Drop a MOAB on every drug cartel's home/compound! Send the drug dealers to Gitmo. And so on and so forth. I think we need to get serious, or the problem will never go away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT