ADVERTISEMENT

Demetris Summers sentenced to 8 years after pleading guilty

This… Richard Nixon declared war on drugs in 1970. And since then we’ve been “fighting the good fight”, putting these dealers behind bars, more and more prison time, stopping it at the boarders, etc. How’s that working out? It’s been almost 50 years man. The “lock ‘em up and throw away the key” method doesn’t work or it would have already. As the saying goes, the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results. We’ve been doing the same thing since the 70s. It didn't work then, it didn't work in the 80s or 90s. And it's not going to work now.

Is it harder to get drugs? Have we shut down the organizations that sell them? Have we made our country and kids safer? No, no, and uhhh… you guessed it… no. It’s time to try a different method. Maybe not throwing these people in jail for a decade and ruining their lives? Maybe we could try helping them find a different path and becoming productive members of society instead of (10 years from now) being an ex con with a rap sheet and no way to find a job or support themselves or their family. It’s better than the same old same old that we KNOW doesn’t work.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but using this logic, should we also stop locking up murderers and rapists?

Maybe we only have half the problem now that we would have if drugs were legal. Maybe it does work for a lot of people.

This… Richard Nixon declared war on drugs in 1970. And since then we’ve been “fighting the good fight”, putting these dealers behind bars, more and more prison time, stopping it at the boarders, etc. How’s that working out? It’s been almost 50 years man. The “lock ‘em up and throw away the key” method doesn’t work or it would have already. As the saying goes, the very definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results. We’ve been doing the same thing since the 70s. It didn't work then, it didn't work in the 80s or 90s. And it's not going to work now.

Is it harder to get drugs? Have we shut down the organizations that sell them? Have we made our country and kids safer? No, no, and uhhh… you guessed it… no. It’s time to try a different method. Maybe not throwing these people in jail for a decade and ruining their lives? Maybe we could try helping them find a different path and becoming productive members of society instead of (10 years from now) being an ex con with a rap sheet and no way to find a job or support themselves or their family. It’s better than the same old same old that we KNOW doesn’t work.
What? Did you say ruining there lives by putting them in jail? What about the lives this loser ruined by selling and making these drugs! Prison is not supposed to for rehab it's supposed to be for punishment you can't rehab a drug dealer you gotta punish him to where he never wants to see drugs again. We are talking about a guy who had every chance on earth to find that good job or another path but chose to be a parasite. If he had sold his death to one of your family members would you still be hoping for a different path or jail time for him? One thing that is wrong in this picture are the one who has the bleeding heart for the dealers and manufactures of this hell. He had all the help he could handle but turned his back on it, remember this is not his first offense. You feel sorry for him I hope he does every day of the 8 years.

8 years is not enough for scumbag Summers . . . not even close. I guess I'd think differently if I hadn't lost one of my children unexpectedly. It all started with drugs.

Are you kidding me? Who are you to judge? You really think the death sentence is appropriate?

Listen this man didn't grow the plant, he wasn't the chemist who turned the plant into cocaine. He wasn't the person who packaged the drugs and smuggled it across the border into this country. He didn't create the huge demand in America for drugs.

He was the small time end of the road user/seller. He didn't leave his town to get it. These guys are limited on opportunities and he saw a way to make a few bucks. He got caught and will pay his debt to society. 8 years of his life at that.

This country is so divided. Can you empathize at all?
People make bad decisions. Those decisions have consequences. Ever done illegal drugs? I haven't because I chose not to. Imagine that. Making a choice not to do something wrong.

There are underlying issues for him. No one should judge. The state of South Carolina has already done that. I hate it for him. Drugs have destroyed many lives and there will be more to come. Kids out here dropping like flies. Tearing families apart in the process. It's just extremely sad and there is no end in site. As I can witness, it doesn't matter how much money you have, who your dad is or how good you can run a football. Addiction is for real.
You gotta help it hurt you. It always starts with a choice. The object of the addiction isn't a free moral agent like you are. Nothing judgmental about that.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but using this logic, should we also stop locking up murderers and rapists?

Maybe we only have half the problem now that we would have if drugs were legal. Maybe it does work for a lot of people.
There aren't many similarities between selling drugs and the acts of murder and rape. Dealing drugs is all about supply and demand. Murder and rape generally involves a very disturbed person attacking an unwilling victim

Reactions: griffgolf
My favorite Lou Holtz Quote ever in reference to Derek Watson his Freshman year " Derek will fill an NFL stadium or he will sweep one up ". Classic !!! And pretty accurate

What? Did you say ruining there lives by putting them in jail? What about the lives this loser ruined by selling and making these drugs! Prison is not supposed to for rehab it's supposed to be for punishment you can't rehab a drug dealer you gotta punish him to where he never wants to see drugs again. We are talking about a guy who had every chance on earth to find that good job or another path but chose to be a parasite. If he had sold his death to one of your family members would you still be hoping for a different path or jail time for him? One thing that is wrong in this picture are the one who has the bleeding heart for the dealers and manufactures of this hell. He had all the help he could handle but turned his back on it, remember this is not his first offense. You feel sorry for him I hope he does every day of the 8 years.

Again, we've been doing exactly that for almost 50 years...
Are there fewer drugs? Are there fewer drug dealers? Are the drug dealers we are punishing learning their lessons and never doing it again? Do they as you say “never want to see drugs again”? What you are saying we should do DOESN’T WORK. Say it with me… IT DOESN’T WORK. It hasn’t worked for the last 50 years, it’s not working today, and I’m willing to bet that (oddly enough) it’s not all of a sudden going to start working tomorrow.

I don’t have any sympathy for these guys at all and I don’t feel sorry for Summers in particular. I’d actually like to make some progress on keeping this stuff off the streets and out of the hands of kids. If he’d given that stuff to my kids, I’d be at the front of the line to shoot him. But that doesn’t work. Even if he dies (and God knows these guys kill themselves off often enough), it’s just going to be “next man up” and someone will gladly take his place. This way DOESN’T WORK.

Let’s do something different that at least has a CHANCE of working b/c your way doesn’t. The US puts more people in jail per capita than any other country in the civilized world. It’s not effective. It doesn’t make things better for either the people in jail or more importantly the society that put them there.

So you can stand there on your platform and spout off on punishment and justice and whatever other crap you are mumbling about... You might as well be asking the sun not to come up tomorrow. OR perhaps you could actually THINK about the problem. There’s a solution… there always is. It may not be what I’m advocating. I have no training in this area… Maybe you could come up with something that could actually reduce the amount of drugs we bring into this country and use.

Reactions: funktavious
Again, we've been doing exactly that for almost 50 years...
Are there fewer drugs? Are there fewer drug dealers? Are the drug dealers we are punishing learning their lessons and never doing it again? Do they as you say “never want to see drugs again”? What you are saying we should do DOESN’T WORK. Say it with me… IT DOESN’T WORK. It hasn’t worked for the last 50 years, it’s not working today, and I’m willing to bet that (oddly enough) it’s not all of a sudden going to start working tomorrow.

I don’t have any sympathy for these guys at all and I don’t feel sorry for Summers in particular. I’d actually like to make some progress on keeping this stuff off the streets and out of the hands of kids. If he’d given that stuff to my kids, I’d be at the front of the line to shoot him. But that doesn’t work. Even if he dies (and God knows these guys kill themselves off often enough), it’s just going to be “next man up” and someone will gladly take his place. This way DOESN’T WORK.

Let’s do something different that at least has a CHANCE of working b/c your way doesn’t. The US puts more people in jail per capita than any other country in the civilized world. It’s not effective. It doesn’t make things better for either the people in jail or more importantly the society that put them there.

So you can stand there on your platform and spout off on punishment and justice and whatever other crap you are mumbling about... You might as well be asking the sun not to come up tomorrow. OR perhaps you could actually THINK about the problem. There’s a solution… there always is. It may not be what I’m advocating. I have no training in this area… Maybe you could come up with something that could actually reduce the amount of drugs we bring into this country and use.
OK then let's start with Trumps wall that will cut down on it but judging from your ramblings you would be against that too. Nothing will work as long as we treat dealers like Summers like Bass and continue the catch and release method. How about life without parole after the 2nd offense how do you think that would work out? Those are solutions but you will probably say that's too harsh of a punishment too right? Make prison the punishment it was meant to be and not some failed rehab clinic you can't tell me that won't work for many of the leaches. There's never been a real war of drugs just people who say we can't stop it and then ignore the facts on how to stop it. Just like murder it will never be wiped out because people are human but I bet you just saying it will never get better won't work either. You asked me if there are fewer drug dealers I can say there is one fewer because Summers has his behind in jail today. You say my way doesn't work but didn't give your view on what will work, you can't disregard my ideas without telling me yours. These dealers are not being punished that is most of the problem and going Cool Hand Luke on their butts would be phase one. It can be stopped but it takes someone with balls to get it started. Have you noticed border crossings are down nearly 70% since someone decided to make it a priority? I bet you the farm my way would work over time.

OK then let's start with Trumps wall that will cut down on it but judging from your ramblings you would be against that too. Nothing will work as long as we treat dealers like Summers like Bass and continue the catch and release method. How about life without parole after the 2nd offense how do you think that would work out? Those are solutions but you will probably say that's too harsh of a punishment too right? Make prison the punishment it was meant to be and not some failed rehab clinic you can't tell me that won't work for many of the leaches. There's never been a real war of drugs just people who say we can't stop it and then ignore the facts on how to stop it. Just like murder it will never be wiped out because people are human but I bet you just saying it will never get better won't work either. You asked me if there are fewer drug dealers I can say there is one fewer because Summers has his behind in jail today. You say my way doesn't work but didn't give your view on what will work, you can't disregard my ideas without telling me yours. These dealers are not being punished that is most of the problem and going Cool Hand Luke on their butts would be phase one. It can be stopped but it takes someone with balls to get it started. Have you noticed border crossings are down nearly 70% since someone decided to make it a priority? I bet you the farm my way would work over time.

There's plenty of drug dealers behind bars for life w/o parole. The hole 3 strikes and you are out thing from the 80s and 90s put many, many people away for life. Did it work... nope. Trumps wall won't cut down on it... OK, maybe for the really stupid drug dealers. 25 Billion dollar 20 ft by 1500 hundred mile wall? $49.95 ladder from Lowes goes right over it... And the money that you can make from selling the stuff makes no shortage of willing mules to attempt the run. Sure you can stop some, but not all. Our best enforcement efforts have never been able to stop more than 20% of the drugs entering the US. There's NOT one less drug dealer b/c we arrested Summers. He was replaced immediately (probably before the ink dried on his fingerprints at the police station).

Hell, I got no sympathy for drug dealers at all. You could shoot them in the head for the 1st offense and I wouldn't care. But it won't solve the problem. Do you think Vietnam and Aphganistan use the catch and release method on people that grow opium poppies. They get beheaded/shot. Yet every year, there's a ton of heroin made. Your way doesn't work. There too much demand and money involved... How many times over the past 50 years has some politico made the EXACT same speech you have. It's time to get tough on drugs! We really mean it this time! Lock 'em up and throw away the key! It's been tried. It doesn't work.

Again, I'm no expert, but I'd suggest a different approach. What is cocaine? What is herion? Both are byproducts of a naturally growing plant primarily grown, harvested, and processed by poor people w/o any education. Why do they cost so much and why do criminal organizations make so much money on a product that isn't even as hard to make as a gallon of gas. Simple, it's illegal AND people want it.

SOOOO, lets fix the problem. You and I are in total agreement on the amount of damage drugs do. So let's make it better.

First problem: make it legal... come on Mexican Cartels, bring it in by the dump truck load! What do you think will happen to the prices when ANYONE can bring in all they want? Now lets save all that money we used in drug enforcement and use it below.

Second problem. Make people not want it.: So lets take that money (billions and billions each year) and reinvest it. First in schools to REALLY educate people about what these drugs do. I'm not talking about the stupid "this is your brain on drugs" kind of education. The truth is plenty good enough if we spend time REALLY educating kids about it (not sending some DARE officer who has no experience at teaching around a couple of times a semester).

Secondly, spend some of that money from above on rehabbing the folks who do get hooked. I've never been addicted to drugs before, but it doesn't look like a lot of fun. I'm thinking that REALLY funding rehab clinics could help a lot of people kick the habit.

Thirdly (and this is the cold blooded part of the plan... You'll probably like it). If the education part doesn't work AND you are not getting the help at the Rehab. There is now a HUGE supply of unregulated (cheap b/c it's not illegal), very dangerous drugs available to you. Have at it... I suspect that these folks won't be a problem for very long. The human body isn't build to do unlimited amounts of Heroin and Cocaine... You'll either stop (and go to rehab) or you'll stop (and go to the morgue). Either way...

Last edited:
There's plenty of drug dealers behind bars for life w/o parole. The hole 3 strikes and you are out thing from the 80s and 90s put many, many people away for life. Did it work... nope. Trumps wall won't cut down on it... OK, maybe for the really stupid drug dealers. 25 Billion dollar 20 ft by 1500 hundred mile wall? $49.95 ladder from Lowes goes right over it... And the money that you can make from selling the stuff makes no shortage of willing mules to attempt the run. Sure you can stop some, but not all. Our best enforcement efforts have never been able to stop more than 20% of the drugs entering the US. There's NOT one less drug dealer b/c we arrested Summers. He was replaced immediately (probably before the ink dried on his fingerprints at the police station).

Hell, I got no sympathy for drug dealers at all. You could shoot them in the head for the 1st offense and I wouldn't care. But it won't solve the problem. Do you think Vietnam and Aphganistan use the catch and release method on people that grow opium poppies. They get beheaded/shot. Yet every year, there's a ton of heroin made. Your way doesn't work. There too much demand and money involved... How many times over the past 50 years has some politico made the EXACT same speech you have. It's time to get tough on drugs! We really mean it this time! Lock 'em up and throw away the key! It's been tried. It doesn't work.

Again, I'm no expert, but I'd suggest a different approach. What is cocaine? What is herion? Both are byproducts of a naturally growing plant primarily grown, harvested, and processed by poor people w/o any education. Why do they cost so much and why do criminal organizations make so much money on a product that isn't even as hard to make as a gallon of gas. Simple, it's illegal AND people want it.

SOOOO, lets fix the problem. You and I are in total agreement on the amount of damage drugs do. So let's make it better.

First problem: make it legal... come on Mexican Cartels, bring it in by the dump truck load! What do you think will happen to the prices when ANYONE can bring in all they want? Now lets save all that money we used in drug enforcement and use it below.

Second problem. Make people not want it.: So lets take that money (billions and billions each year) and reinvest it. First in schools to REALLY educate people about what these drugs do. I'm not talking about the stupid "this is your brain on drugs" kind of education. The truth is plenty good enough if we spend time REALLY educating kids about it (not sending some DARE officer who has no experience at teaching around a couple of times a semester).

Secondly, spend some of that money from above on rehabbing the folks who do get hooked. I've never been addicted to drugs before, but it doesn't look like a lot of fun. I'm thinking that REALLY funding rehab clinics could help a lot of people kick the habit.

Thirdly (and this is the cold blooded part of the plan... You'll probably like it). If the education part doesn't work AND you are not getting the help at the Rehab. There is now a HUGE supply of unregulated (cheap b/c it's not illegal), very dangerous drugs available to you. Have at it... I suspect that these folks won't be a problem for very long. The human body isn't build to do unlimited amounts of Heroin and Cocaine... You'll either stop (and go to rehab) or you'll stop (and go to the morgue). Either way...

Cocaine and heroin legal? What could possibly go wrong?

So your solution is make it legal? You mean like they did with alcohol that worked out pretty well. If they can cut illegal entry at the border 70% in 4 months they can build a wall high enough with underground sensors to deal with the cartel. Shooting them might work too.

Reactions: 92Pony
It is glorified just like using is. Just like having sex is. Just like using guns is. Just like every bad thing for our country is. McDonalds kills more people than meth but every child is indoctrinated into craving their terrible food( I'm a chef).
I spent a summer in yellow stone. Year before last. And had no tv internet or cell service. Best 5 months of my life.

The only tv was in the bar, I made them watch SC football every game. Lol too bad we sucked and I had to watch spurrier retire in front of my staff after talking is up all summer.
If you made your staff watch Spurrier's last season, you should get jail time too.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong. That's not my point. My point is that life without parole after the 2nd offense would require a boatload of new prisons. If that's the route we choose, get ready for tax increases in a big way. I'm not sure that people who advocate penalties this stout are willing to pay for them.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong. That's not my point. My point is that life without parole after the 2nd offense would require a boatload of new prisons. If that's the route we choose, get ready for tax increases in a big way. I'm not sure that people who advocate penalties this stout are willing to pay for them.
Try me.

As long as there is a demand there will always be a supply. If there is a wall, they will either tunnel under it or fly over it. Long before it was being brought across the border by Mexicans it was being flown in from Columbia. There are politicians who have their hands in the money being made from drugs. It's the biggest business in America and you think a wall is going to stop it? LMAO!

As long as there is a demand there will always be a supply. If there is a wall, they will either tunnel under it or fly over it. Long before it was being brought across the border by Mexicans it was being flown in from Columbia. There are politicians who have their hands in the money being made from drugs. It's the biggest business in America and you think a wall is going to stop it? LMAO!
Ever heard of the Great Wall of China?

Ever heard of the Great Wall of China?

Yes, I've heard of the Easter Bunny too. Neither one of them is going to stop drugs from coming into the US... Apples and Oranges brother. If drugs were a Mongal Horde from 1000 years ago, then the wall would be a good idea. But our "Mongal Horde" is something that a single person can bring in with a backpack in 2lb batches. The Great Wall was never designed to stop smuggling.

Cocaine and heroin legal? What could possibly go wrong?
They are illegal now and what could possibly go wrong? Heroin addiction is at record levels right now. If you want it, you can get it... and it's illegal as hell and you go directly to jail if caught with it. A cop MIGHT turn the other way for underage drinking or even for pot, but you aren't getting any slack for the big H. My point is that criminalization of this stuff DOESN'T WORK. Let's try something that might. If it were legal, are you suddenly going to grab your spoon and needle and start shooting up? Me neither (nor would most folks). Antifreeze is legal, but I'm not going to drink it.

Let's do something different from the same old failed way that we've been doing things for the last 50 years. Legalization (and using the enforcement money on Education and Rehab) may not be the answer. As I've said, I'm not an expert. But I KNOW that criminalization doesn't work b/c it's been not working for 50 years.

Yes, I've heard of the Easter Bunny too. Neither one of them is going to stop drugs from coming into the US... Apples and Oranges brother. If drugs were a Mongal Horde from 1000 years ago, then the wall would be a good idea. But our "Mongal Horde" is something that a single person can bring in with a backpack in 2lb batches. The Great Wall was never designed to stop smuggling.
I hope I don't upset you but the Easter Bunny ain't real. The wall is real and it was designed to stop people and stop people it did. Like I said before, border crossings are down 70% now and it's many of those people who carry the stuff. Anyway, we can't stop it all but we could sure stop them from making it a habit when we get serious. Now I return you to your regularly scheduled program of Gamecock sports discussions.

I hope I don't upset you but the Easter Bunny ain't real. The wall is real and it was designed to stop people and stop people it did. Like I said before, border crossings are down 70% now and it's many of those people who carry the stuff. Anyway, we can't stop it all but we could sure stop them from making it a habit when we get serious. Now I return you to your regularly scheduled program of Gamecock sports discussions.
The cartels control the areas where people have to go to cross the border and they charge fees to take people to the border. Those fees are getting higher and higher. I'm not sure if the drop in border crossings has had any effect on the amount of drugs being smuggled in.

The cartels control the areas where people have to go to cross the border and they charge fees to take people to the border. Those fees are getting higher and higher. I'm not sure if the drop in border crossings has had any effect on the amount of drugs being smuggled in.
They control the areas because we let them control the areas. If we know where those areas are then go shoot the bastards. ...lol

They control the areas because we let them control the areas. If we know where those areas are then go shoot the bastards. ...lol
For one thing, there's big money involved. People get paid to look the other way.

My favorite Lou Holtz Quote ever in reference to Derek Watson his Freshman year " Derek will fill an NFL stadium or he will sweep one up ". Classic !!! And pretty accurate
That quote was actually for D. Watson. Both had their issues.

Until we get serious about the problem as a nation it's only going to get worse. Adopt Colorado approach to Weed. The weed transaction shouldn't be a back alley experience. Where kids get exposed to the harder drugs. Or buy some laced weed.

Get serious about mental health. And knock these smuggling cartels out once and for all. But tackling big Pharma is virtually impossible.

Big pharma and the damn police unions. That's what I never got about the south, they love to hate some unions if they are attached to anything...except the police. The love of the police union is unrelenting, they can do no wrong. Never made sense to me. IT'S STILL A UNION! But with way more power! Between big pharma and the police unions, putting people in jail for drugs is making them far too much money.

As for Summers, he was great. My highschool had some epic games against Lexington. It was Reggie Merriweather vs. Demetrius Summers. Some of the best high school football I remember. Like 500 yards of rushing between the two. I get the feels just thinking about it.

I have to call bull on this one. He was the best player in the state that year and the short period he played at USC he showed the talent he had behind a lackluster offensive line. He had 167 yards against UT his freshman year. He may have had problems but talent wasn't one of those problems.

No HS coach was willing to be in charge of Smokey McPot and have their name associated with the bust that was sure to have happened....

Until we get serious about the problem as a nation it's only going to get worse. Adopt Colorado approach to Weed. The weed transaction shouldn't be a back alley experience. Where kids get exposed to the harder drugs. Or buy some laced weed.

Get serious about mental health. And knock these smuggling cartels out once and for all. But tackling big Pharma is virtually impossible.

Big pharma and the damn police unions. That's what I never got about the south, they love to hate some unions if they are attached to anything...except the police. The love of the police union is unrelenting, they can do no wrong. Never made sense to me. IT'S STILL A UNION! But with way more power! Between big pharma and the police unions, putting people in jail for drugs is making them far too much money.

Privatized for profit prisons also.

The moral of this story is...Keep your nose to the grindstone and not the "candy".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT