ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Evans on South Carolina

There's more than one way to win football games and recruiting elite talent is certainly an effective one. Not everyone can be Nick Saban and be great at both recruiting and coaching. Mack has always been a recruiter much more than a coach.

I am a Longhorn fan and see it the same way. Great recruiter. Maybe the best at that ever. For coaching needs good assistants and coordinators. Any success Muschamp has at recruiting, likely was learned from Mack. Coaching not so much.

Both, grew up a Tar Heel but kid and money went to ECU so I gotta pull for the Pirates as well.

LOL, TN-cock, you've been around a long time, and we certainly have our history, you and the mods know very well I am not an instigator, nor do I speak negatively about the Gamecocks or call other posters derogatory names. I will talk a little shit leading up to the game, that's fun right? Over the last several years UNC and ECU have lost, and I do not come back hear with excuses. UNC will probably get beat this year, I'm already looking toward 2023 in hopes the Heels can put an ass whipping on the Gamecocks.
I don't respond to you and will not after this...The only bad blood i've had on these boards was that guy named Willbill or something like that...and then Mike Irby piled on...other than that, I've never had a history with anyone else...the reason i'm responding is to see if "is Mike Irby still living?" that's it...
I hope he has beaten cancer..if not, may he "rest in peace".

Have you paid attention to how well they are doing in Mack's first year versus Muschamps 4th year. Apparently a head coach matters more than a shiny new building because right now its really not helping us at all. Sad reality.

It's the honeymoon affect. Most new coaches have a bump in recruiting the first years. Also it is still July.

It's the honeymoon affect. Most new coaches have a bump in recruiting the first years. Also it is still July.
Its the Mack Brown effect. They will be a top 15 team next year in the recruiting rankings and its a double edged sword for us. It means Mack will lock NC down from us but at the same time position his team as a challenger to Clemson.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Its the Mack Brown effect. They will be a top 15 team next year in the recruiting rankings and its a double edged sword for us. It means Mack will lock NC down from us but at the same time position his team as a challenger to Clemson.

Time will tell, but most new coaches have a leap in recruiting their first class or two.

No, I mean like being above a career .568 or whatever winning percentage and beat ranked teams and actually look like he knows what he's doing on game day.

Lol. Eyeroll
Muschamp beat Spurriers first three years win total. A lot of variables involved, but Spurrier left us some talent that wasn’t coached. The rest garbage. Same as Holtz, except his former players were well coached. Look it up.

Reactions: rogue cock
With Mack's CEO style of coaching, he may coach a lot longer than you think, leaving the heavy lifting to assistants. Very little pressure to win at a basketball school. He can go to second tier bowls, win 8 or 9 games and be seen as a big success.

He's older than Spurrier was when he took over here. Age became an issue for OBC in 2013. Maybe before. I wonder when it will be an issue for UNC?

Muschamp beat Spurriers first three years win total. A lot of variables involved, but Spurrier left us some talent that wasn’t coached. The rest garbage. Same as Holtz, except his former players were well coached. Look it up.
Yawn. Spurrier actually beat ranked teams in his first three years, including Florida who was about to go on a dominant run and our first ever win in Knoxville. Muschamp has beaten ONE total, an overrated Tennessee team. AND he had the benefit of playing a 12 game regular season every year, unlike Spurrier.

If you want to act like Muschamp is even half the coach Spurrier is, their career winning percentages and championships tell two completely different stories. You may want to look that up.

Have you paid attention to how well they are doing in Mack's first year versus Muschamps 4th year. Apparently a head coach matters more than a shiny new building because right now its really not helping us at all. Sad reality.
wait until the end of the season before you make that proclamation

wait until the end of the season before you make that proclamation
As of right now. Im hopeful we land some more like Burch and Tank but I think those ships have sailed. I hope you're right and Im wrong. You have more faith in him than I do.

I don't respond to you and will not after this...The only bad blood i've had on these boards was that guy named Willbill or something like that...and then Mike Irby piled on...other than that, I've never had a history with anyone else...the reason i'm responding is to see if "is Mike Irby still living?" that's it...
I hope he has beaten cancer..if not, may he "rest in peace".

I think those guys are from the UNC rivals board, which has about 25 members. The most active UNC message board is www.insidecarolina.com. As you know, you cannot go over there and talk all kinds of shit or you will be banned. Be respectful and you will live to post another day.

LOL! LOL! LOL! please, Please, PLEASE re-post this on Oct 13, 2019 and let's discuss further.
they are up there without a doubt.. where we finish in his 3rd full recruiting class isnt what determines it.. also, considering some of the lower ranked players that have contributed quite well also factors in to it

Reactions: Garnetskies
Yawn. Spurrier actually beat ranked teams in his first three years, including Florida who was about to go on a dominant run and our first ever win in Knoxville. Muschamp has beaten ONE total, an overrated Tennessee team. AND he had the benefit of playing a 12 game regular season every year, unlike Spurrier.

If you want to act like Muschamp is even half the coach Spurrier is, their career winning percentages and championships tell two completely different stories. You may want to look that up.

The same could have been said about Dabo prior to his run. Spurrier is an all time great, but the reality is Muschamp has walked into two bad coaching gigs. No one realized the cultural problems at UF when he took that role, but afterwards it was clear that Urban Meyer had left for a reason.

Spurrier left him a 3 win team with no QB. Muschamp went out and got Jake and got us 6 wins first year, nine wins second year, and 7 wins third year witb a string of crazy injuries. He did so despite Kurt Roper.

Similar to Dabo, Muschamp needs good coordinators around him. If he can get the right coaches in place, his work ethic will allow him to succeed.

The same could have been said about Dabo prior to his run. Spurrier is an all time great, but the reality is Muschamp has walked into two bad coaching gigs. No one realized the cultural problems at UF when he took that role, but afterwards it was clear that Urban Meyer had left for a reason.

Spurrier left him a 3 win team with no QB. Muschamp went out and got Jake and got us 6 wins first year, nine wins second year, and 7 wins third year witb a string of crazy injuries. He did so despite Kurt Roper.

Similar to Dabo, Muschamp needs good coordinators around him. If he can get the right coaches in place, his work ethic will allow him to succeed.
So when he didn't win big at Florida, it was Meyer's fault and when he doesn't win big here, it's Spurrier's fault? OK. So when will anything be his fault?

Who hired his coordinators here? Ray? Or was that Spurrier too? Why did he hire Roper again? Even worse, when he fired him, he had a chance to go out and hire a proven, innovative OC. Instead, he hired someone that had never had that title before. And to me, there were several times last year where either the gameplan was piss poor or Muschamp seemed to put his overly conservative thumb on the scale. Most likely, this would not have been the case with proven, experienced OC.

I love Muschamp, but this has been his Achilles heel. He thinks like a defensive coach and thinks an offense's job is to rest his defense, not score. he needs an ace OC.
Yep. As I've said before, I like Will Muschamp the man. But Will Muschamp the HC leaves a lot to be desired. He's too hardheaded for his own good and he can't seem to get out of his own way.

Here's hoping he's finally learned from his past mistakes.

Yep. As I've said before, I like Will Muschamp the man. But Will Muschamp the HC leaves a lot to be desired. He's too hardheaded for his own good and he can't seem to get out of his own way.

He already has. His problem was fielding a great offense to go with his great defenses. From day one he has been building the offense. We are a very potent offense, currently, however, our lack of depth on defense bit us in the rear end last year with the heavy toll in injuries. On paper, we should have a fairly decent defense this year, a notch below the offense, maybe, but we are now at the threshold of a balanced team. We'll see soon.

Muschamp's biggest problem, so far has been sitting on a lead, especially a single digit lead. We don't have the stout defense he had at Florida and he acts as if we do. Many games we lost or nearly lost because he sat on the lead. Most of those games we had them on their heels and could have scored again easily. Get a 10-14 point lead before even thinking about backing off. Now if we have a stout defense, no problem.

He already has. His problem was fielding a great offense to go with his great defenses. From day one he has been building the offense. We are a very potent offense, currently, however, our lack of depth on defense bit us in the rear end last year with the heavy toll in injuries. On paper, we should have a fairly decent defense this year, a notch below the offense, maybe, but we are now at the threshold of a balanced team. We'll see soon.

Muschamp's biggest problem, so far has been sitting on a lead, especially a single digit lead. We don't have the stout defense he had at Florida and he acts as if we do. Many games we lost or nearly lost because he sat on the lead. Most of those games we had them on their heels and could have scored again easily. Get a 10-14 point lead before even thinking about backing off. Now if we have a stout defense, no problem.
This sounds to me like he hasn't learned a thing. So he may have assembled an office that is capable of scoring a lot of points. But where was that offense against Georgia? Kentucky? Texas A&M? Akron? Virginia? And as you mentioned, the 4th quarter against Florida?

You just said yourself that he still has a tendency to get too conservative. So what has he really learned?

This sounds to me like he hasn't learned a thing. So he may have assembled an office that is capable of scoring a lot of points. But where was that offense against Georgia? Kentucky? Texas A&M? Akron? Virginia? And as you mentioned, the 4th quarter against Florida?

You just said yourself that he still has a tendency to get too conservative. So what has he really learned?
I said currently, not last year, for the offense, the addition of Feaster should help balance the run with the pass. The mention of last year was for the defensive woes.

I wasn't saying that everything was Meyer or is Spurrier's fault. I'm saying be patient and let Muschamp figure out how to win. He works too hard to not eventually put it all together. He just needs quality coordinators like Dabo lucked into.

Problem is, our D was crap before all the injuries really hit.
I think the defense has suffered because outside influence warned Mushamp that his defense centric teams at Florida cost him his job because of no offense. He has built an offense at the expense of defense to prove to his naysayers, he is capable of building both. I think the defense will be caught up and balanced by mid season, next year,. That is his specialty, it shouldn't take long.

this story is getting so old. I agree w/ you 100% but its almost copy and paste at this point

That is how I see it too. It was the same when at Texas. Players loved him, but boy was he hardheaded.

So when he didn't win big at Florida, it was Meyer's fault and when he doesn't win big here, it's Spurrier's fault? OK. So when will anything be his fault?

Who hired his coordinators here? Ray? Or was that Spurrier too? Why did he hire Roper again? Even worse, when he fired him, he had a chance to go out and hire a proven, innovative OC. Instead, he hired someone that had never had that title before. And to me, there were several times last year where either the gameplan was piss poor or Muschamp seemed to put his overly conservative thumb on the scale. Most likely, this would not have been the case with proven, experienced OC.
He did hire a proven, innovative coordinator....who didn't want to be an OC anymore in Werner. Hired him to coach QBs and to assist and advise BMac. BMac is going to have a learning curve, but having Werner to advise him should make that curve much shorter. Frankly, I was generally happy with the progress I saw in the offense last year.

Reactions: usc_nc
He did hire a proven, innovative coordinator....who didn't want to be an OC anymore in Werner. Hired him to coach QBs and to assist and advise BMac. BMac is going to have a learning curve, but having Werner to advise him should make that curve much shorter. Frankly, I was generally happy with the progress I saw in the offense last year.
So no. He did NOT hire an OC. He hired a QB coach (who does not call the plays) and he elevated a WR coach with no experience to OC -- all while he could've hired a proven, experienced OC that wouldn't need a learning curve.

So no. He did NOT hire an OC. He hired a QB coach (who does not call the plays) and he elevated a WR coach with no experience to OC -- all while he could've hired a proven, experienced OC that wouldn't need a learning curve.
Even if he did, chances are the new OCs offense wouldn't have shown anymore last year than BMac's did. It took Morris three years to install his offense at Clemson. BMac has indicated that all his offense wasn't installed last year also. This isn't a plug and play video game.

Even if he did, chances are the new OCs offense wouldn't have shown anymore last year than BMac's did. It took Morris three years to install his offense at Clemson. BMac has indicated that all his offense wasn't installed last year also. This isn't a plug and play video game.
You're right. It probably wouldn't have mattered given Muschamp's history of putrid offenses at worst, and hamstringing them at best.

Don't believe me? Here's a few facts for you:

In total offense, Muschamp's at Florida had an average ranking of 95. At USC, the average is 89. The lowest of all those years were Roper's offenses (who Muschamp hired twice) with an average rank of a whopping 113.

I've given credit for the offensive improvement last year. But most of those stats came against much weaker defenses and what ended up being a complete aberration against Clemson. And let's not rehash the Florida debacle.

But Muschamp could've at least temporarily quieted his critics by hiring an experienced OC. Instead, he was either hardheaded or wanted a young, inexperienced guy he could keep under his thumb. Whatever it was, offense continues to be his Achilles heel.

He hasn’t. Let’s move on?

He hasn't failed yet at SC, at least let him fail before moving on. Maybe his faults can be overcome with the things he does well, recruit, make players love him, coach good defense. Maybe that doesn't win an NC, but if he beats a Georgia, Alabama or Clemson this year it is still pretty good. Maybe better than the next guy you would hire.

Applewhite was available. Maybe you don't want him, but he has been OC at Texas (under Mack Brown 2011-2013), Houston (under Tom Herman 2015-16) and Alabama (under Saban 2007) and HC at Houston (2017-2018). Muschamp and Applewhite were on the same coaching staffs at Texas. Applewhite would never knuckle under, so maybe that is why he wasn't hired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT