ADVERTISEMENT

Desmond Evans on South Carolina

Applewhite was available. Maybe you don't want him, but he has been OC at Texas (under Mack Brown 2011-2013), Houston (under Tom Herman 2015-16) and Alabama (under Saban 2007) and HC at Houston (2017-2018). Muschamp and Applewhite were on the same coaching staffs at Texas. Applewhite would never knuckle under, so maybe that is why he wasn't hired.
He or Josh Heipel would've been good a good hire.

Don't believe me? Here's a few facts for you:

In total offense, Muschamp's at Florida had an average ranking of 95. At USC, the average is 89. The lowest of all those years were Roper's offenses (who Muschamp hired twice) with an average rank of a whopping 113.

I've given credit for the offensive improvement last year. But most of those stats came against much weaker defenses and what ended up being a complete aberration against Clemson. And let's not rehash the Florida debacle.

But Muschamp could've at least temporarily quieted his critics by hiring an experienced OC. Instead, he was either hardheaded or wanted a young, inexperienced guy he could keep under his thumb. Whatever it was, offense continues to be his Achilles heel.

Don't believe me? Here's a few facts for you:

In total offense, Muschamp's at Florida had an average ranking of 95. At USC, the average is 89. The lowest of all those years were Roper's offenses (who Muschamp hired twice) with an average rank of a whopping 113.

I've given credit for the offensive improvement last year. But most of those stats came against much weaker defenses and what ended up being a complete aberration against Clemson. And let's not rehash the Florida debacle.

But Muschamp could've at least temporarily quieted his critics by hiring an experienced OC. Instead, he was either hardheaded or wanted a young, inexperienced guy he could keep under his thumb. Whatever it was, offense continues to be his Achilles heel.
This is why there is the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" as you pick the one statistic that made Roper look bad at the time. The production at UF went up from the previous year in almost all categories, if not all, and was better than McElwain's production the year following. That is why he kept him....he actually showed improvement. When he realized the improvement wasn't continuing, he let Roper go....which is what a good coach does.

If he hadn't promoted BMac, we stood a good chance of losing our most dynamic recruiter. He did fairly well last year in his first season. That earns him another year.

This is why there is the phrase "Lies, damned lies, and statistics" as you pick the one statistic that made Roper look bad at the time. The production at UF went up from the previous year in almost all categories, if not all, and was better than McElwain's production the year following. That is why he kept him....he actually showed improvement. When he realized the improvement wasn't continuing, he let Roper go....which is what a good coach does.

If he hadn't promoted BMac, we stood a good chance of losing our most dynamic recruiter. He did fairly well last year in his first season. That earns him another year.
Smh. The one statistic that makes Roper look bad, being total offense? Um, OK. How about scoring offense? He topped at at 60th at Florida. Here, his offenses ranked 118 and 97.

There is nothing good about any of that. Kudos to Muschamp for making the change, but why put himself in that position, then and now? It reeks of Muschamp's stubbornness to prove he's right and everyone else is wrong.

As for keeping BMac out of fear of him leaving and recruiting against us, I thought Muschamp was the Premier recruiter? Remember he said that if you can't recruit, you can't coach here? Shouldn't he have been able to hire an apt replacement? That's why I have been saying that it was either a hostage hire or a hire where he could keep the new OC under his thumb.

Either way, he will have plenty of chances this season to show that he can get out of his own way on offense and finally win some big games.

If you simply look at how much more productive the offense was this past year vs what Ropeadope ran....give me a break. Running game needs to improve and I think with addition of Feaster it will.This is a 5 to 6 year total rebuild in my opinion.For those of you that don't like Champ too bad ,Tanner isn't gonna fire him unless he goes 4-8 this year and next and I don't see that happening.

Reactions: rogue cock
We never had time for a HC to figure out how to win, it should be a job requirement, but if ever there was a program to try it out, it is this one. Hey, this guy at XYZ company has been a CEO for 4 years, with underwhelming results, I think he’s our guy. I know he will learn to be a CEO if we throw enough money at him......

This sounds to me like he hasn't learned a thing. So he may have assembled an office that is capable of scoring a lot of points. But where was that offense against Georgia? Kentucky? Texas A&M? Akron? Virginia? And as you mentioned, the 4th quarter against Florida?

You just said yourself that he still has a tendency to get too conservative. So what has he really learned?
well im glad you dont do the firing arpound here...mark my words muschamp will be our most successful coach here when it is all said and done..some people seem to think it is as cut and dried as wins and losses regardless the situation or time spent on the job. clemson fans wanted dabo gone after losing 4 or 5 in a row to us..pretty sure they are glad he didnt get fired..

well im glad you dont do the firing arpound here...mark my words muschamp will be our most successful coach here when it is all said and done..some people seem to think it is as cut and dried as wins and losses regardless the situation or time spent on the job. clemson fans wanted dabo gone after losing 4 or 5 in a row to us..pretty sure they are glad he didnt get fired..
I hope you're right. But I'll believe it when I see it. Starting next week, he can start to prove it. Because wins and losses are all that matter.

If you simply look at how much more productive the offense was this past year vs what Ropeadope ran....give me a break. Running game needs to improve and I think with addition of Feaster it will.This is a 5 to 6 year total rebuild in my opinion.For those of you that don't like Champ too bad ,Tanner isn't gonna fire him unless he goes 4-8 this year and next and I don't see that happening.
well said, and we have some that for some reason just dont like champ and i believe would gladly trade a couple of bad years if they could get rid of him...beats me as to why tho... i personally think if he gets the time we will be very glad he did...some think he is hardheaded and dont bother to think that maybe he has been handcuffed at times with depth and talent... we just have to realize that they either just dont like him or just dont really understand that he has been building it the proper way, which takes time.

Reactions: rogue cock
Probably, but let's hope he has lost his fast ball.
He'll struggle this year. But if they can get six years out of him, he'll bring them a long way. But what needs to happen is that they get a protege in there who is capable of moving them forward after he leaves. If they have to start from scratch when he retires, then this was a mistake.

Our recruiting staff is tops in the country. Ain't worried about the future of gamecock football at all. We will continue to rise to the top in recruiting and it will show on the field this year and in the future.

Then why are we always middle of the pack in the SEC rankings? I’m not sure I’m buying the recruiting hype. I keep hearing how great we are but I’m not seeing a lot of top tier talent coming in. I don’t see any Alshon, Gilmore, Lattinore, Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Swearinger types

Reactions: ConKreteCock
Then why are we always middle of the pack in the SEC rankings? I’m not sure I’m buying the recruiting hype. I keep hearing how great we are but I’m not seeing a lot of top tier talent coming in. I don’t see any Alshon, Gilmore, Lattinore, Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Swearinger types
Not sure what you are talking about. Ingram and Swearinger were 3-star recruits, Jeffery and Gilmore were 4-star and Lattimore and Clowney were 5-star. Actually very similar to what we are seeing now.

Reactions: GeoCocky
well said, and we have some that for some reason just dont like champ and i believe would gladly trade a couple of bad years if they could get rid of him...beats me as to why tho... i personally think if he gets the time we will be very glad he did...some think he is hardheaded and dont bother to think that maybe he has been handcuffed at times with depth and talent... we just have to realize that they either just dont like him or just dont really understand that he has been building it the proper way, which takes time.

blows 17 point leads, hires the same crapfest OC that got him fired at UF, recruits middle of the pack in the entire SEC, year 4 > still no proven RB, won't play other QB's when Jake is struggling, is 1 and 495 against ranked teams, lets players who literally quit on the team stand and laugh around with the other guys on the sidelines, and the list goes far beyond that.......

and you can't figure out "for some reason just don't like Champ." --- I just gave you several. Pick one.

Said it before and I'll say it again: Neither Ray nor Champ nor Frank Martin will be employed at USC in 2021. They'll all be gone because none of them can get the job done.

Maybe your half of the fanbase "just has to realize" that settling for mediocrity will get you nowhere. Demand better.

Reactions: king ward
ADVERTISEMENT