ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone watch the Clint Eastwood movie Richard Jewell last week on

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
HBO? I remember when the incident happened but I didn't follow it on a day by day basis. But, it just shows what the media can do to ruin someone's life and Kathy Scruggs of the AJC came close to doing just that to Richard Jewell with the help of the FBI.

This is not a left or right post but just makes one realize how powerful the media is in day to day life, not just politics.

Last edited:
Right now the most hated women on my list are Susan Smith and Kathy Scruggs. I just read an account of her methods to get tips from the police that she wanted to use in her stories. And a couple of police officers said the shorter her skirt indicated the bigger the tip or information she wanted. LOL!

Last edited:
Right now the most hated woman on my list is Susan Smith and Kathy Scruggs. I just read an account of her methods to get tips from the police she wanted to use in her stories. And a couple of police officers said the shorter her skirts indicated the bigger the tip she wanted. LOL!

Susan Smith should have gotten the death penalty. Any man that did the same would have.

Wouldn’t the bigger message be that the law enforcement was incompetent and settled in on the wrong person and started pitching that as their answer before they knew what was going on?

Agree, and the FBI wasn't going to back down. I got so interested in the story that I also watched the series Manhunt-Deadly games. And at the end of the series it stated that Richard Jewell still has not been exonerated by the FBI. I haven't done any fact checking but I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:
Jewell just had "Fall Guy" written all over him.

Jay Leno referred to him on his show, as uni bubba (although to his credit Leno later apologized) and some newspaper ran a headline that also referred to him as bubba. You are 100% right about Jewell having "fall guy" written all over him. In fact one account said the reason the FBI went after him and would not let up was because he was fat and poor.

According to Manhunt, even after Eric Rudolph detonated three additional bombs after the one he detonated in Centennial Park the FBI refused to even consider that Rudolph could have detonated the bomb in Centennial Park. An ATF agent that investigated the bombing stated only once had he ever seen a bomber use a "direction plate" like the bomb in Centennial Park and the other three Rudolph detonated. And his experience was over a 40 year period. However, the FBI refused to consider the fact all four bombs were build and detonated by the same person.

To me it was sickening the way Jewell was treated, not only by the press and the FBI but also by the public in general. If Jewell and his attorneys had not proven some facts beyond a shadow of a doubt and Rudolph had not confessed to the crime poor Richard Jewell could have been put to death. And as previously stated he was the hero in all of this.

I personally think the biggest recognition for Jewell before he passed away was when the Governor of Georgia publicly thanked Richard Jewell for saving hundreds of lives.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the bigger message be that the law enforcement was incompetent and settled in on the wrong person and started pitching that as their answer before they knew what was going on?

But as someone else stated Jewell had "Fall Guy" written all over him and he was such an easy target the FBI was just not going to let up. And even when it was apparent Jewell was not the person who detonated the bomb in Centennial Park at first the FBI refused to review the evidence that would have exonerated Richard Jewell.

Last edited:
I didn't see the movie, but do think that story is an indictment on the media and what their purpose is. I feel like that after Watergate, the media started down a path where being first to a story (especially an important story), began to be more important than accuracy. Suddenly, there was a way for the media to be as famous as their subjects. It took a while before it was full-on, but scooping people became the story, not the story itself.

I'd rather hear accurate news a week later than to hear shoddy news in real time. It's why I won't watch news on TV now. Any news (except the traffic report).

I didn't see the movie, but do think that story is an indictment on the media and what their purpose is. I feel like that after Watergate, the media started down a path where being first to a story (especially an important story), began to be more important than accuracy. Suddenly, there was a way for the media to be as famous as their subjects. It took a while before it was full-on, but scooping people became the story, not the story itself.

I'd rather hear accurate news a week later than to hear shoddy news in real time. It's why I won't watch news on TV now. Any news (except the traffic report).

I think your assessment is correct and I rarely watch any national news anymore. The only news I watch is the local news and that is only to get updates for weather and stories that are directly related to my area.

Last edited:
Great movie. I used to live near where Jewell worked later in his career. Jewell and his partner made a traffic stop and the perps killed his partner. I was surprised they left that out of the movie. That incident also wore on him and contributed to his early death.

Great movie. I used to live near where Jewell worked later in his career. Jewell and his partner made a traffic stop and the perps killed his partner. I was surprised they left that out of the movie. That incident also wore on him and contributed to his early death.

Sad! Jewell, bless his heart, was seemingly marked from word go especially after the Centennial Park bombing.

Last edited:

In all fairness, media sensational writing has been around before the invention of the typewriter.
And they will continue as long as there's a public thirst for such. Kinda sad.

Like almost all of the moviea Clint Eastwood directs, it was fantastic. It sruck a little close to home for me because I was supposed to work at the Olympics that year. Luckily (in retrospect), it turned out to be a scam.

It was actually a big story before the bombing. Some grifter was promising all these sweet jobs with good pay and fun times for college kids. But when kids started showing up in Atlanta from all over the country, officials had no idea who they were and those kids were stuck with no place to stay and no jobs.

Long atory short, had that been a legit job, I could've been there the night of the explosion. Thank goodness my mom called me the morning I was supposed to leave and said, "Don't you dare get on that bus!"

Like almost all of the moviea Clint Eastwood directs, it was fantastic. It sruck a little close to home for me because I was supposed to work at the Olympics that year. Luckily (in retrospect), it turned out to be a scam.

It was actually a big story before the bombing. Some grifter was promising all these sweet jobs with good pay and fun times for college kids. But when kids started showing up in Atlanta from all over the country, officials had no idea who they were and those kids were stuck with no place to stay and no jobs.

Long atory short, had that been a legit job, I could've been there the night of the explosion. Thank goodness my mom called me the morning I was supposed to leave and said, "Don't you dare get on that bus!"

You were lucky. Who knows what could have happened if it had not been a scam.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Richard Jewell was railroaded by the FBI and local police to a certain degree. He was overweight, somewhat 'goofy looking', not very wealthy, and a Mama's boy. Perfect setup to be the fall guy for the bombing that took place in Olympic Park in Atlanta. Very, very sad the way he was treated by the media, in cahoots with law enforcement. Died relatively young.

Clint Eastwood is a GREAT DIRECTOR. Google the list of movies he's directed. Incredible body of work.

You were lucky. Who knows what could have happened if it had not been a scam.
Well, I was in the park that night. I and six others watched all the acts, Travis Tritt, some reggae guy, and the always impeccable Jack Mack and the Heart Attack. We left shortly before one if I remember. JMHA was still playing. This is the part I got mixed up when I and another attendee met with the FBI and gave them our photos. We stood near the tower quite awhile. When we awoke Saturday we were saying our thanks that one of the wives had enough and was headed toward Peachtree 30 minutes before the bombing.

We all got together and watched the movie, agreed it was accurate as to the bombing and terrific in its narrative. Media is, well, media. I always think of that event as the predecessor in international embarrassment to 9/11. It cast a pall over the Olympics, and unfairly destroyed Richard Jewell. It remains, a poingant moment, in all of our lives.

I dId not see the Eastwood movie (yet), but I did see the 10 part Spectrum Original series "Manhunt", and it was superb. Being 10 parts, it was able to cover everything in detail. It definitely ruined Jewell's life! His own mother even doubted him. He also died at 44 years old!

Watch Manhunt.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

I see that lying pos Dan Rather on Twitter taking shots at Trump.

From what I recall, Eastwood got in trouble for this movie. He wanted to show how bad Jewell was treated which was true but in doing so he made up stuff on Scruggs. The point was I believe he did the same thing to Scruggs that was done to Jewell. I personally have no idea as I never saw the movie. I just remember Eastwood got in trouble.

From what I recall, Eastwood got in trouble for this movie. He wanted to show how bad Jewell was treated which was true but in doing so he made up stuff on Scruggs. The point was I believe he did the same thing to Scruggs that was done to Jewell. I personally have no idea as I never saw the movie. I just remember Eastwood got in trouble.
FBI / AJC destroyed a hero. Eastwood exposed them. Even Scruggs own family has said unflattering things about her. Not anywhere close to the same thing.

You’ve said a lot of ignorant things, but this ranks among the worst. She will never get out of prison.

Well you are an ignorant pos, don't bet against it happening is all I'm saying. Because you don't know either. In fact, I think it might happen I don't know for sure and I certainly hope it doesn't happen but I won't bet against it either. If and when a liberal president gets into office it could easily happen.

You've said more ignorant things on this board than anyone that I know of including the one that mentioned the football team being like the planes that hit the twin towers.

The movie and spectrum series twisted some things about Kathy Scruggs. The spectrum series exaggerated the timeline of how they pursued Jewel. But it was a good series.

FBI / AJC destroyed a hero. Eastwood exposed them. Even Scruggs own family has said unflattering things about her. Not anywhere close to the same thing.
I think the point people made was Eastwood made shit up about Scruggs to point out how shit was made up against Jewell. He lost his pedestal. It’s why the movie bombed. From what I remember people thought it was a good movie but his point fell flat due to his hypocrisy

Reactions: Bleedgarnet33
Reactions: Flameout12
I think the point people made was Eastwood made shit up about Scruggs to point out how shit was made up against Jewell. He lost his pedestal. It’s why the movie bombed. From what I remember people thought it was a good movie but his point fell flat due to his hypocrisy
Well it is a movie. The movie about Scully (Tom Hanks) may not have been completely historically correct either.

Well it is a movie. The movie about Scully (Tom Hanks) may not have been completely historically correct either.
Very true. People watch movies and think they are factual. I’ll have to watch the documentary as I lived in Atlanta when it happened. I had just left the park a few hours earlier and was at buckhead when the bomb went off. Th strange thing is I lived in Northern Virginia when the DC Sniper was there. I frequented one of the locations of the shooting probably weekly. Weird

Do your research on Scruggs. He went easy on her.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT