ADVERTISEMENT

Did Corbin tank the game today?

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
Once the game got into extra innings, did Vandy have anybody throwing in the pen? I know when the 11th started, they never got anyone else up throwing, even after we got the 1st go ahead run. It looked like Corbin was ok with losing. I mean they have a tourney bid locked supposedly, so he seemed to be fine to go home, rest and practice.

Thoughts?

I don't think he told them not to hit. They just couldn't hit Johnson today.

Vandy record is about the same as ours, they wanted to win this game as well. Need this game today vs ky somehow.

Vandy record is about the same as ours, they wanted to win this game as well. Need this game today vs ky somehow.
Vandy didn't need the win to get into a regional. Corbin was ok with the loss. He wasn't tanking, but he sure didn't care to run ragged through his own pen to stay in Hoover.

Reactions: rogue cock
They have the best record in Hoover of any SEC team in the past 5-10 years. I doubt he tanked it, but I bet he didn't lose any sleep over it either.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I understand all of your comments, but Corbin never had anybody warming up in the pen. So basically he was casting his lot entirely with the kid on the mound. NCAA tourney aside, that is not normal coaching. His pitcher loaded the bases, then walked in the go ahead run, all with 2 outs. Normally, a coach would be bringing somebody else in at that point, but nobody was even warming up, so Corbin had made a decision he wasn't gonna use anymore pitchers, and he did not care whether he lost or not. To me it appears that he may actually have preferred to lose this game. I cannot blame him. They are locked for a tourney bid, and even a sweep through the SEC Tourney was not going to improve their seed in the NCAA tourney. So the SEC Tourney is a meaningless exercise. It is a way for bubble teams to punch their ticket to the NCAA's or an opportunity for teams to play their way onto the bubble. In the future, I think the SEC Tourney should be single elemination period.

.... but Corbin tanked this game.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
I understand all of your comments, but Corbin never had anybody warming up in the pen. So basically he was casting his lot entirely with the kid on the mound. NCAA tourney aside, that is not normal coaching. His pitcher loaded the bases, then walked in the go ahead run, all with 2 outs. Normally, a coach would be bringing somebody else in at that point, but nobody was even warming up, so Corbin had made a decision he wasn't gonna use anymore pitchers, and he did not care whether he lost or not. To me it appears that he may actually have preferred to lose this game. I cannot blame him. They are locked for a tourney bid, and even a sweep through the SEC Tourney was not going to improve their seed in the NCAA tourney. So the SEC Tourney is a meaningless exercise. It is a way for bubble teams to punch their ticket to the NCAA's or an opportunity for teams to play their way onto the bubble. In the future, I think the SEC Tourney should be single elemination period.

.... but Corbin tanked this game.
He approached the tourney the way Ray used to approach it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT