ADVERTISEMENT

Did not realize Holbrook had a child with cancer

I read this in the article on the GC homepage about Holbrook keeping things in perspective. I guess the child is still living- not sure.

Tanner asked him to come to Columbia before he did. come..and Holbrook turned it down...for he wanted his son to be near his cancer doctors in N.C. It was only when he felt his son was doing well...that he agreed to move to Columbia.

Dang guys, this is pretty old news.

It was covered EXTENSIVELY during both national championship years in the newspaper, message boards and on television. He has the Win Anyway foundation to raise money. You don't remember Roy Williams sitting with coach in the dugout for a game a few years ago? It's because he donated a lot of money to Chad's foundation.

The 8th annual Reece Holbrook golf tourney was held this past year. His son is doing very well.

If you follow coach on Twitter, you know he is a huge fundraiser and advocate for children with cancer. He goes way out of his way to visit, support, fundraise, sit with kids and their families who are fighting such things. It's really a huge part of his life.

I'd say 80% of his offseason Twitter messages are related to children fighting serious illness or issues- not baseball or sports stuff.

Foundation

Originally posted by stevestrat2:

Originally posted by radcock:
Leukemia....he is doing great....win anyway
Hey Rad- not looking for excuses for him- but let's be real here...
win anyway is his son's foundation......they have a golf tournament and auction every year. I was not being a jackass like some on here are on occasion.

Originally posted by Rollerdude123:
Dang guys, this is pretty old news.

It was covered EXTENSIVELY during both national championship years in the newspaper, message boards and on television. He has the Win Anyway foundation to raise money. You don't remember Roy Williams sitting with coach in the dugout for a game a few years ago? It's because he donated a lot of money to Chad's foundation.

The 8th annual Reece Holbrook golf tourney was held this past year. His son is doing very well.

If you follow coach on Twitter, you know he is a huge fundraiser and advocate for children with cancer. He goes way out of his way to visit, support, fundraise, sit with kids and their families who are fighting such things. It's really a huge part of his life.

I'd say 80% of his offseason Twitter messages are related to children fighting serious illness or issues- not baseball or sports stuff.

Holbrook spoke at my church twice . When he was the asst baseball coach at UNC when his son got Leakemia . Holbrook wasn't making a lot money as an asst coach and the bills were piling up. Holbrook's wife was the secretary for Roy Williams . Roy Williams told Holbrooks wife to take Reece to the best doctors ar the UNC medical Center and he would take care of all the medical expenses . This is why Roy Williams is real good friends with Holbrook.

Your last 2 sentences pespicock is why I like Roy Williams. Still don't pull for UNC but really have respect for the man.
This post was edited on 4/19 1:28 PM by USCProud

Not saying that roy isnt a decent guy but they were never in any finacial crisis. Kids with cancer treatment is almost completely covered under medicaid as the kids are ruled disabled.

roy used to come to his fundraiser even aftee it moved to columbia. He missed the last 2 for some reason but he was pretty easy to talk with. Also neat to see coach holbrook.....chads dad....the old furman basketball coach.

chad wants to win as bad as we do....but he does have a different point of reference when its comes down to whats important. If he can get this team into a regional, i hope our fans will support him. There are worse guys and coaches oit there. Vandy can have their jackass coach

He was especially close with the Baylor Teal family during his illness in the National Championship year. He is a great guy and I sure hope this weekend is a hint of what is to come but he has his priorities in line for sure.

Not sure about that Medicaid issue, many families with chronically ill kids end up in unbelievable debt. I think the family income still has to be under 150% of the federal poverty level or something like that to be eligible. I am sure the kid ws covered by their insurance but we all know that 20-30% still adds up....

as a Leukemia survivor ( so far ), I can tell you that the treatments are not cheap and even with the insurance/medicare-medicaid coverages, the out of pocket is significant.
As much as I find the Heels annoying at times ( well actually most of the time ), I really respect what Coach Williams is doing.
Good for him and God bless Coach Holbrook and his family.

Treatment is only part of it.

There are many other costs. To name some

1) Time off from work, often unpaid time off from work because when a child is sick, you burn through your vacation time almost immediately.
2) Travel costs to many, many doctor appointments for the child, mom and dad- and even grandparents or cousins often travel to come and visit the family.

3) full time or even live in babysitters or medical assistants for when mom and dad have to be at work, but the child can't leave the house.
4) out of pocket medical expenses, home expenses that aren't covered by insurance.

Originally posted by radcock:

Not saying that roy isnt a decent guy but they were never in any finacial crisis. Kids with cancer treatment is almost completely covered under medicaid as the kids are ruled disabled.

Originally posted by stevestrat2:
Puts things in perspective.
perspective?

how so?

so many here have trashed the man unmercifully

what is the perspective part of this thread?

Yet most everyone on this board is ready to tar and feather the guy on his way out of town. The treatment of this guy by MOST on this board has been dispicable. It's made my stomach turn. Holbrook was here and a big part of the most unbelievable run any of our sports teams have ever had. He still has won in the Post season on his own. It takes more than one sub par year to declare someone a loser and get rid of them. Who knows what is going on within that team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT