ADVERTISEMENT

Did Tanner make a big mistake?

MANAFOLD

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2004
When Ray Tanner hired Kingston, did he make a colossal mistake? We have lost to just about every small school in our state this year. Although Kingston is in his first year and these are not his recruits, one has to believe that we have a big talent edge over the likes of PC and all the other little guys that have had tons of fun whippin our asses. A coach is supposed to lead a team, develop a winning sprit, field teams that play hard no matter what the talent level, a coach must do this in order to be successful, no matter if it is his first year on the job or his fifth. Kingston has not shown that he can coach up a team. I said when he was hired that he sounded good in his interviews but talking a good game doesn't cut it when the tailgate drops. Have to say I'm terribly disappointed in Mr. Kingston and his team at this point in time.

Does PC even have scholarship players on the baseball team?

Does PC even have scholarship players on the baseball team ?

When Ray Tanner hired Kingston, did he make a colossal mistake? We have lost to just about every small school in our state this year. Although Kingston is in his first year and these are not his recruits, one has to believe that we have a big talent edge over the likes of PC and all the other little guys that have had tons of fun whippin our asses. A coach is supposed to lead a team, develop a winning sprit, field teams that play hard no matter what the talent level, a coach must do this in order to be successful, no matter if it is his first year on the job or his fifth. Kingston has not shown that he can coach up a team. I said when he was hired that he sounded good in his interviews but talking a good game doesn't cut it when the tailgate drops. Have to say I'm terribly disappointed in Mr. Kingston and his team at this point in time.

He may not have recruited these players, but that doesn't change the fact that this is HIS team. I think most long-time fans agree that this team isn't as talented as we are used to seeing. But I think those same fans would agree that this team is under achieving. Errors, poor pitching, poor hitting, mental mistakes...the list goes on and on.

It would be foolish to think this year is an accurate indicator of what can be expected of Kingston's tenure at USC. He deserves time to build and get it right. But this is not what's expected at USC.

Too late now...no choice but to give Kingston time. The question is how much time?

You give Kingston another year before the bat warmers begin being used to warm his seat. When we were the flagship university in this state for baseball and have since fallen to fifth best, hard to wait much longer than that.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Going into the season I think most fans understood that this season would be a challenge when you take into account the new staff, and the holes that were left mainly in respect to pitching. Struggles early on were to be expected.
One of the biggest challenges for a new coach is figuring out how the pieces fit best, and while I think some roles have been identified, it doesn’t seem to be translating to a better product on the field compared to the beginning of the season. Half a season is not enough time to say whether Kingston was the right hire, but with the return of key injuries, time to figure out the lineup, players knowing their backs are against the wall if they want to make a regional, and time to figure out the pitching rotation and best defense, this team should be playing better than they did at the beginning.
Kingston needs time to get this thing back on track, but losing to Presbyterian this late in the season doesn’t instill confidence in his hiring. We have enough talent for fans to expect to beat teams like Presbyterian. There needs to be some definitive improvement soon .

South Florida

Before Kingston, 2014 = 27-31 overall, 10-14, conference

Kingston year 1, 2015 = 34-26 overall, 13-11
Kingston year 2, 2016 = 23-33 overall, 8-16
Kingston year 3, 2017 = 42-19 overall, 14-10

580 winning percentage, .486 in American athletic conference

His year 2 may not be better then year 1, I hope that is not the case

One problem with hiring the small school guy is his top assistant get the job which was Billy Mohl who is HC at USF and was his pitching coach there.

If you hire a coach that Vandy wouldn’t even hire what do you expect

If you hear Kingston interviewed, he sounds like a baseball genius compared to Holbrook. But maybe he has made everything too complicated for the players. The whole team seems nervous because they are thinking too much instead of letting instincts take over. That's just my impression from here.

If you hear Kingston interviewed, he sounds like a baseball genius compared to Holbrook. But maybe he has made everything too complicated for the players. The whole team seems nervous because they are thinking too much instead of letting instincts take over. That's just my impression from here.
Thinking too much is the main issue with changing a player's hitting stroke and approach at the plate. They will think and at times fall back into old habits until the new approach becomes second nature. Has anyone EVER played this game and had a coach change their stroke or approach at the plate? Geesh!

Reactions: TRUEGARNET
I would say give him a pass for not winning against SEC competition, BUT losing to PC, in the comfy Founders Home field, Come on.. He holds all this blame, No Way PC has more talent.. PERIOD!! And that is just to mention THAT ONE Miserable loss... Been many Miserable losses this season, and hell, I see it getting worse, hard to believe it could get any lower than right now, but I predict it will..

Anyone familiar with the program knew this was a rebuilding year. Holbrook left the program in poor condition. Overall this team has been competitive in spite of Cortez barely hitting his weight, injuries to key players and a very young pitching staff. Hey, big series this weekend vs. LSU!

If you want to whine about something or someone why not Frank Martin?

Anyone familiar with the program knew this was a rebuilding year. Holbrook left the program in poor condition. Overall this team has been competitive in spite of Cortez barely hitting his weight, injuries to key players and a very young pitching staff. Hey, big series this weekend vs. LSU!

If you want to whine about something or someone why not Frank Martin?
Competitive, what like 1 game pre series, Never even had the lead against PC, to me that isnt competitive, that is just BAD!! They got Six hits off Presbyterian's mid week starter, Come on, This team isnt even Competitive..

I would say give him a pass for not winning against SEC competition, BUT losing to PC, in the comfy Founders Home field, Come on.. He holds all this blame, No Way PC has more talent.. PERIOD!! And that is just to mention THAT ONE Miserable loss... Been many Miserable losses this season, and hell, I see it getting worse, hard to believe it could get any lower than right now, but I predict it will..
It's BASEBALL...on any given day!!! If you don't like the plateaus and valleys of the sport, quit following it.

South Florida

Before Kingston, 2014 = 27-31 overall, 10-14, conference

Kingston year 1, 2015 = 34-26 overall, 13-11
Kingston year 2, 2016 = 23-33 overall, 8-16
Kingston year 3, 2017 = 42-19 overall, 14-10

580 winning percentage, .486 in American athletic conference

His year 2 may not be better then year 1, I hope that is not the case

One problem with hiring the small school guy is his top assistant get the job which was Billy Mohl who is HC at USF and was his pitching coach there.

Current was his "top assistant" at USF not Mohl.

It's BASEBALL...on any given day!!! If you don't like the plateaus and valleys of the sport, quit following it.
I usually say the same thing but give me a break he’s lost toalmost in the state the schools recruit at a very low level we should be beating these teams easily something is wrong with our program and that has to be fixed very quickly how we need to move onto a different coach

I usually say the very same thing”its baseball”, but give me a break. he has lost to Almost every small school in the state. You can’t do that. These schools recruit at a very low level. If we cannot beat these schools, we need to move on. I’m not bashing these small schools in our state. They are who they are, but we are the University of South Carolina. We won two national championships less than a decade ago and was runner-up in another. There’s no excuse for us to be losing to so many of these schools in the same year.

Competitive, what like 1 game pre series, Never even had the lead against PC, to me that isnt competitive, that is just BAD!! They got Six hits off Presbyterian's mid week starter, Come on, This team isnt even Competitive..
I agree that losing to pc is inexcusable, but to say they haven’t been competitive overall is petulant. They have gone into the final game of every series this year, with the exception of uga, with a chance to take the series.

I agree that losing to pc is inexcusable, but to say they haven’t been competitive overall is petulant. They have gone into the final game of every series this year, with the exception of uga, with a chance to take the series.
Don't bother. People are just complaining to complain at this point. Our fans aren't happy unless they are miserable.

The mistake was made when Tanner was made AD

I usually say the same thing but give me a break he’s lost toalmost in the state the schools recruit at a very low level we should be beating these teams easily something is wrong with our program and that has to be fixed very quickly how we need to move onto a different coach
There is no, zero, zilch quick fix to the hole we were left in. Batgirl, me and a few others realized we were heading down the rabbit hole a while back and called for Holbrook to be let go after 2015. You're going to have to give Kingston (or anyone else) the time to fix what was broken. It wasn't broke in a year....and it won't be fixed in one either.

There is no, zero, zilch quick fix to the hole we were left in. Batgirl, me and a few others realized we were heading down the rabbit hole a while back and called for Holbrook to be let go after 2015. You're going to have to give Kingston (or anyone else) the time to fix what was broken. It wasn't broke in a year....and it won't be fixed in one either.
In all fairness I said that the assistant coaches needed to be canned in 2015, if CCH was retained. And we all know how well that went over, given my questioning of a certain assistant coach. Unfortunately none of the staff changed, and we're left with the mess we are in. The fault lies with ALL of them.

Last edited:
It's looking more and more like Holbrook was baseball's version of Brad Scott. Holtz deserved a pass in year one just like Kingston does. It may be a few years to get the offense we all want to see. But I will say this, next year he needs to start winning close games. Close losses are primarily on the coach imo and he needs to show he's capable of doing what is necessary to win those games.

There is no, zero, zilch quick fix to the hole we were left in. Batgirl, me and a few others real ized we were heading down the rabbit hole a while back and called for Holbrook to be let go after 2015. You're going to have to give Kingston (or anyone else) the time to fix what was broken. It wasn't broke in a year....and it won't be fixed in one either.

giphy.gif

hmmmm, Okay, So just so happens a team with better talent (Alleged) in 9 innings, got beat by PC, Furman, Ch Southern, Citadel, ETC ETC ETC, i guess i should have said, to appease YOU, that this team has had way too many "Valleys" vs "Peaks" against lesser competition.. and if you think only Baseball has Peaks and Valleys, well i have a great real estate deal for you..
booklyn-bridge-saledownload.jpg

hmmmm, Okay, So just so happens a team with better talent (Alleged) in 9 innings, got beat by PC, Furman, Ch Southern, Citadel, ETC ETC ETC, i guess i should have said, to appease YOU, that this team has had way too many "Valleys" vs "Peaks" against lesser competition.. and if you think only Baseball has Peaks and Valleys, well i have a great real estate deal for you..
booklyn-bridge-saledownload.jpg
I control my RE deals, I don't control the baseball team. All those teams aren't dealing with a whole new staff that is trying to fix what the old staff royally screwed up. Consistency does have merit in baseball...and will get you wins over a team (even one maybe more talented from top to bottom) that is admittedly struggling with the changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT