ADVERTISEMENT

Did you know Gonzaga

tngamecock#

Sep 10, 2000
is the best team in the nation, and they are really more concerned about the Nat'l Title game vs UNC than us. There's no way we can stay with them. I was actually disheartened to find out we have no chance against that powerhouse. Went to their board to see what they were thinking about the game, and was kind of shocked (in a laughing way) to read the overall sentiment on that board.

Hope their players feel the same way.

Reactions: wood90
I would love to hear Coach K's analysis of this game. I bet he gives us a much better chance than most of the pundits are giving us.

Reactions: okccock
Hmm. Let's do some math based on the dance so far:

Gonzaga: average seed faced -- 9.75
-- top-4 seeds faced -- 1
-- highest seed faced -- 4
-- total point differential -- +53

Gamecocks: average seed faced -- 4.75
-- top-4 seeds faced -- 3
-- highest seed faced -- 2
-- point differential -- +54

Murderers Row of Zags' NCAA opponents: South Dakota State, Northwestern, West Virginia, Xavier.

Cupcakes in Gamecocks' run: Marquette, Duke, Baylor, Florida.

Yeah, when I look at it in the cold light of day, how can I possibly picture a South Carolina win?

Murderers Row of Zags' NCAA opponents: South Dakota State, Northwestern, West Virginia, Xavier.

Yeah, when I look at it in the cold light of day, how can I possibly picture a South Carolina win?
Bravo

Reactions: debordieu cock
is the best team in the nation, and they are really more concerned about the Nat'l Title game vs UNC than us. There's no way we can stay with them. I was actually disheartened to find out we have no chance against that powerhouse. Went to their board to see what they were thinking about the game, and was kind of shocked (in a laughing way) to read the overall sentiment on that board.

Hope their players feel the same way.

As my Momma would say: Bless Their Hearts...

Go back and look at their regular season schedule. It left me scratching my head as to how you get a number 1 seed out of that weak schedule!

I have nothing but respect for Gonzaga's basketball skill and performance. They are probably as tired of hearing about ACC basketball as we are. Having said that, there is something fishy about having that many transfers from all around the country on their team.

I have nothing but respect for Gonzaga's basketball skill and performance. They are probably as tired of hearing about ACC basketball as we are. Having said that, there is something fishy about having that many transfers from all around the country on their team.

Now THAT makes a ton of sense .... what was Few's pitch to Grad Transfer Jordan Mathews .... "Hey Jordan .... if you can graduate in 3 years at the #1 ranked public university in the world (Cal-Berkeley) we have a spot for you" There's a reason Mathews took 18 credit hours of summer school to get his degree ... he wanted to be at Gonzaga. Sure seems "fishy" to me.

Transfer Jeremy Jones was a freshman scholarship quarterback at Rice ... and went to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games in '15 in Houston (Zags beat UCLA in the S16 and lost to eventual National Champ Duke in the Elite 8). He was a 2 sport star in High School but decided he liked what he saw vis a vis the GU "family" and "camaraderie" ... wanted to be a part of it and is now a GU walk on that gets minutes (after giving up his football scholarship). Sure seems "fishy" to me.

In addition ... there's another reason that some of Gonzaga's better players have transferred from the big boys.

Player development is big at GU ... particularly after Kelly Olynyk's redshirt year transformed him from a perimeter player averaging 6ppg his first two years into an NBA lottery big. Kyle Wiltjer from Kentucky "noticed" and followed soon afterwards. He graduated last year and is now in the NBA. This year it's Johnathan Williams III (Mizzou .... his close friend from his hometown in Memphis was a Zag and was able to share the experience which landed him at GU).

And then there's Nigel Williams-Goss .... who's now achieved his stated goal of wanting to become Mark Few's 3rd member of the "Bill Walton Double/Double" Club. That's First Team (Top 5) Academic All American and First Team (Top 5) All American in the same season. Dan Dickau and Kelly Olynyk did it for Gonzaga. Walton did it 3 times.

Sure seems "fishy" to me ....

Now THAT makes a ton of sense .... what was Few's pitch to Grad Transfer Jordan Mathews .... "Hey Jordan .... if you can graduate in 3 years at the #1 ranked public university in the world (Cal-Berkeley) we have a spot for you" There's a reason Mathews took 18 credit hours of summer school to get his degree ... he wanted to be at Gonzaga. Sure seems "fishy" to me.

Transfer Jeremy Jones was a freshman scholarship quarterback at Rice ... and went to the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games in '15 in Houston (Zags beat UCLA in the S16 and lost to eventual National Champ Duke in the Elite 8). He was a 2 sport star in High School but decided he liked what he saw vis a vis the GU "family" and "camaraderie" ... wanted to be a part of it and is now a GU walk on that gets minutes (after giving up his football scholarship). Sure seems "fishy" to me.

In addition ... there's another reason that some of Gonzaga's better players have transferred from the big boys.

Player development is big at GU ... particularly after Kelly Olynyk's redshirt year transformed him from a perimeter player averaging 6ppg his first two years into an NBA lottery big. Kyle Wiltjer from Kentucky "noticed" and followed soon afterwards. He graduated last year and is now in the NBA. This year it's Johnathan Williams III (Mizzou .... his close friend from his hometown in Memphis was a Zag and was able to share the experience which landed him at GU).

And then there's Nigel Williams-Goss .... who's now achieved his stated goal of wanting to become Mark Few's 3rd member of the "Bill Walton Double/Double" Club. That's First Team (Top 5) Academic All American and First Team (Top 5) All American in the same season. Dan Dickau and Kelly Olynyk did it for Gonzaga. Walton did it 3 times.

Damn fella, you need to relax.No need to be so touchy. He was just poking the bear a little. We didn't need 30 for 30 on Zag basketball.

Game 1 SC worse 7 seed ever in the tourny.

Game 2 Duke wins as SC win was a fluke.

Game 3 Baylor is just too strong and SC's run is over.

Game 4 Florida is so much better on paper.

Game 5 SC has only a 2% chance of a win.

I'll take that as their record is perfect! Go Cocks!!!!!!

How about this one?

Wins this season over schools that made it to the Round of 32

Gonzaga 9
South Carolina 6
Damn fella, you need to relax.No need to be so touchy. He was just poking the bear a little. We didn't need 30 for 30 on Zag basketball.

My bad. Just thought it odd that the number one program in the nation (in terms of APR success for all 352 D1 programs ... just ahead of Lafayette and Dartmouth) would be seen as "fishy". Sorry.
http://www.gozags.com/genrel/041316aaa.html

It's about time I got a thread cranked up around here. Fishy or not, it is statistically unusual to build a team the way Gonzaga has.

It's about time I got a thread cranked up around here. Fishy or not, it is statistically unusual to build a team the way Gonzaga has.

As said above, much of it is the reputation for player development. The other angle is that most of our transfers are kids that had us on their last 3-4 schools originally coming out of HS, most of them were at schools that weren't winning (Williams-Goss at Washington) most of them wanted to finish at a program that all but guarantees a birth in the NCAA tournament and want that shot at it.
The other thing, and it's admittedly difficult to understand from the outside, there is a real special feel around campus (which is beautiful) and the program is considered family, many many former players choose to live in Spokane after their playing days are done and so are always around - that attracts certain types of athletes.
Mathews, our transfer from Cal - his father was a head coach at USF and knows our assistant coach Donnie Daniels like a brother, and he read the writing on the wall a year before Cal let its coach go.
Few is a preacher's son, clean as you can possibly imagine - there's nothing untoward going on, and confidence can be had in that b/c it's small, isolated, and there are no secrets about that team, near everything gets out.
Cheers,

Pick any fan board you like, any around the nation, in which two evenly matched teams are about to play, and count the number of people who pick the other team to win. I guarantee the homerism is universal.
In fact, there's a thread on our board about how you guys give us no chance bc "we've never seen a defense like yours" and "we haven't played anyone" and "come from a weak conference." So, it's kinda funny that both boards are pointing the opposite way, but also very expected.
One thing, though. We damn well do respect your defense, but please do keep in mind that there is a team that KenPom (adjusted for opponents' strength) rates above your defense - only one, true - but it is Gonzaga. :)
It's going to be an absolute battle. Either team can win, in a series it would go 6 or 7 games. I think any thinking fan on either side knows that. Cheers, guys.

Fishy or not, it is statistically unusual to build a team the way Gonzaga has.

When this "cute little run" began in 1999, Gonzaga was on a 4 year NCAA probation. No scholarships were lost as the NCAA deemed that GU's transgressions did not create a competitive advantage. The AD (and basketball coach at the time) had created a secondary checking account and that's where he put things like parking revenue. At the time, Gonzaga's recruiting budget ($8,000 a year) ranked dead last in the WCC .... and the "slush" money went toward things like buying a beater car in the Bay Area so coaches wouldn't have to rent a car while recruiting (they often slept in the car to "stretch" things).

When Mark Few was hired as a GU Grad Assistant 28 years ago he was pulled aside by the campus elders and told the following: "You will never finish first in this league, and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders. Few, Dan Monson and fellow assistant Billy Grier sought to change that paradigm. They were roommates (Few slept on the couch ... and also slept in the car in the East Bay).

Those were the "humble" beginnings of this cute little run ... a low budget operation with some guys working hard to change things. BTW it wasn't until after the 3rd of the back to back to back Sweet 16's (and beyond) '99 - '01 that GU finally purchased a high speed video machine for scouting purposes. Those babies cost $25k and the old fashioned VCR worked just fine.

South Carolina was the first "big" school that came after Mark Few (you guys ended up hiring Dave Odom). Few has stuck around Gonzaga. As was noted earlier his dad was a minister at the same church in Oregon for 53+ years .... so he knows something about loyalty. He also saw how Monson got chewed up at Minnesota and how Monson's dad had a horrible ending after leaving Idaho for Oregon.

Here's the bottom line. Folks can look under every rock they want. You'll find a family atmosphere that does things the right way. Is Gonzaga perfect? No way .... but they try ....

Wonderfully small but beautiful university stuck back in the hills..that prides itself on player development and says they never cheat. Sounds like our little buddies in the upstate. :):)

954C7ED5-6C31-44A5-BB99-29323029ABD8_zps3oirtjgx.png

Reactions: brianlafe
When this "cute little run" began in 1999, Gonzaga was on a 4 year NCAA probation. No scholarships were lost as the NCAA deemed that GU's transgressions did not create a competitive advantage. The AD (and basketball coach at the time) had created a secondary checking account and that's where he put things like parking revenue. At the time, Gonzaga's recruiting budget ($8,000 a year) ranked dead last in the WCC .... and the "slush" money went toward things like buying a beater car in the Bay Area so coaches wouldn't have to rent a car while recruiting (they often slept in the car to "stretch" things).

When Mark Few was hired as a GU Grad Assistant 28 years ago he was pulled aside by the campus elders and told the following: "You will never finish first in this league, and that's okay. Just don't finish last. Last place isn't tolerated around here." Those were his marching orders. Few, Dan Monson and fellow assistant Billy Grier sought to change that paradigm. They were roommates (Few slept on the couch ... and also slept in the car in the East Bay).

Those were the "humble" beginnings of this cute little run ... a low budget operation with some guys working hard to change things. BTW it wasn't until after the 3rd of the back to back to back Sweet 16's (and beyond) '99 - '01 that GU finally purchased a high speed video machine for scouting purposes. Those babies cost $25k and the old fashioned VCR worked just fine.

South Carolina was the first "big" school that came after Mark Few (you guys ended up hiring Dave Odom). Few has stuck around Gonzaga. As was noted earlier his dad was a minister at the same church in Oregon for 53+ years .... so he knows something about loyalty. He also saw how Monson got chewed up at Minnesota and how Monson's dad had a horrible ending after leaving Idaho for Oregon.

Here's the bottom line. Folks can look under every rock they want. You'll find a family atmosphere that does things the right way. Is Gonzaga perfect? No way .... but they try ....
Wow, man that is really a touching story. Had it all... ups, downs, ins, outs, i am really verklempt right now. Hold on let me get a tissue. Now take your left coast, panty waste self back to your own boards and stop trying to pick fights here. We are enjoying our run, as long and hard as it has been, and dont need to know the back story to the next victim of a good old fashioned southern beat down. Now go get some chai tea and get outa here.

Wow, man that is really a touching story. Had it all... ups, downs, ins, outs, i am really verklempt right now. Hold on let me get a tissue. Now take your left coast, panty waste self back to your own boards and stop trying to pick fights here. We are enjoying our run, as long and hard as it has been, and dont need to know the back story to the next victim of a good old fashioned southern beat down. Now go get some chai tea and get outa here.

Didn't strike me as picking a fight.....just sharing info.

And I enjoy reading backstories.

Go Cocks nonetheless.

I would love to hear Coach K's analysis of this game. I bet he gives us a much better chance than most of the pundits are giving us.

I've been seeing all these percentage chances of winning since the tournament started. On ESPN, they said UF stood an 80% chance of winning vs us. I think Baylor was 69%, not sure what Duke was. But you get the picture. I'm wondering how to they remotely figure that crap? Are they going based on seed history (like #4 vs a #7)? I think Gonzaga is up there like a 70% chance of winning..........so we're in good shape based on their predictions thus far.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
How about this one?

Wins this season over schools that made it to the Round of 32

Gonzaga 9
South Carolina 6

My bad. Just thought it odd that the number one program in the nation (in terms of APR success for all 352 D1 programs ... just ahead of Lafayette and Dartmouth) would be seen as "fishy". Sorry.
http://www.gozags.com/genrel/041316aaa.html
good try but.......NOT!!

I've been seeing all these percentage chances of winning since the tournament started. On ESPN, they said UF stood an 80% chance of winning vs us. I think Baylor was 69%, not sure what Duke was. But you get the picture. I'm wondering how to they remotely figure that crap? Are they going based on seed history (like #4 vs a #7)? I think Gonzaga is up there like a 70% chance of winning..........so we're in good shape based on their predictions thus far.

I put as much faith in those percentage predictions as you do.

I put as much faith in those percentage predictions as you do.

Do you know what they use as metrics to figure those percentages? I can understand someone thinking we have a small chance at beating Duke (other than SC fans who knew we could). But when I saw UF had an 80% chance of beating us on Sunday...I was like WTH??? We beat them once and they beat us once.........yet we were only given a 20% chance of victory. I get us being underdogs by a few points, but the % thing boggles the mind.

Anyway, I respect Gonzaga, and I hope you lose on Saturday night:)
But if you know what formula they use to calculate these chances of winning, fill me in.

"Left coast"? Columbia is much, much more liberal than Spokane will ever be.

Reactions: chick75
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT