ADVERTISEMENT

Did you play on any really bad, like funny bad, teams....

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
Me and my two best friends played B Team basketball together. All three of us were third team on a 2-14 team. We were mostly observers of the horror. Our team once scored no field goals in a game!

We would get in games when we were down by 30. We would pull each other's clothes back to not have to throw the ball in when we went in with five or ten seconds to go in games. We wanted the ball. We were starved for the ball in play.

I remember one game when one of them was screaming at me throwing the ball in....six seconds to go....actually saying on the court "my girlfriend's here, throw me the ball." Of course I was mad, so he never saw her again.

Among our accomplishments was always riding behind the last seat, sitting on ball bags, in the team van and wearing the last three available uniforms, which were three sizes too big. Hard to shoot with one hand pulling up your pants.

I should have known early on. Game one, the three of us near the end of the bench. Coach looks up...hey 24 (that was me, he did not know my name)....my buddies looked at me with wide, bright eyes...."you're going in". I stood up and replied " Yes sir", and he enthusiastically yelled, "move down one seat, I want 14 to sit beside me.". I.....we....were crushed, but today, in our sixties, we still laugh out loud about those days.

1971 Greenville High football team. We went o-fer 11 (maybe it was ten, it doesn't matter. It was O-fer).

We were 3-A that year, though GHS had traditionally been 4-A. We played Spartanburg, Hanna, Orangeburg, Easley and Orangeburg-Wilkinson. I think we played Gaffney too but it was a down period for them. I remember my senior season against Gaffney, but 71 was a blur of loses. If I remember correctly, all of those were Top Ten. OW was the eventual state champs and Easley had unstoppable Stanley Morgan.

We had been crushed by Spartanburg and Easley, but almost upset Hannah. I had my second best career game against Hannah and was facing a future UT o-lineman.

Coach asked us if we wanted to forfeit our road trip to OW. We said "nah."

Our bus broke down just short of Columbia. Our tight end got himself and two friends drunk on a quart of vodka. We sat there about two hours. When we got to OW, their players were up in the stands. I remember seeing this bearded black guy # 76 kissing what I believed to be his children. I thought, "my 190 pound lil' white azz is gonna get dusted by this 6-5, 275 pounder."

First play, I out-quicked him and crushed the rb for a three yard loss - oops, that was a fake to the RB. It was an end-around for 80 yards, TD. I think the final was 66-0. I only faced number 76 for about half of the first half. I had a pretty decent game against his backup. Our dline/linebackers didn't play too badly but our dbs got murdered.

My Junior year basketball team at BR. We were "turrible". 3-17 , I did score 13 in 1 of our wins .

Reactions: fowl_mood
I’ve played on one really bad baseball team. I was 12 and realized I was the best player on my team. This was not good, and I knew it. (The year before I was maybe our 5th best player and we were really good). We went 0-fer and our season highlight was an 18-14 loss where we scored 10 runs in our half of the final inning to make things almost interesting.

1971 Greenville High football team. We went o-fer 11 (maybe it was ten, it doesn't matter. It was O-fer).

We were 3-A that year, though GHS had traditionally been 4-A. We played Spartanburg, Hanna, Orangeburg, Easley and Orangeburg-Wilkinson. I think we played Gaffney too but it was a down period for them. I remember my senior season against Gaffney, but 71 was a blur of loses. If I remember correctly, all of those were Top Ten. OW was the eventual state champs and Easley had unstoppable Stanley Morgan.

We had been crushed by Spartanburg and Easley, but almost upset Hannah. I had my second best career game against Hannah and was facing a future UT o-lineman.

Our bus broke down just short of Columbia. Our tight end got himself and two friends drunk on a quart of vodka. We sat there about two hours. When we got to OW, their players were up in the stands. I remember seeing this bearded black guy # 76 kissing what I believed to be his children. I thought, "my 190 pound lil' white azz is gonna get dusted by this 6-5, 275 pounder."

First play, I out-quicked him and crushed the rb for a three yard loss - oops, that was a fake to the RB. It was an end-around for 80 yards, TD. I think the final was 66-0. I only faced number 76 for about half of the first half. I had a pretty decent game against his backup. Our dline/linebackers didn't play too badly but our dbs got murdered.
"Tight" end. Lol, appropriately named. He knew what was coming on the scoreboard.

When I was 8 I played on a winless football team. Rec league program that had 2 teams one that had experience and one that did not. We sure did get a few experiences. This was before the halo rule on kickoff returns and I got lit up on one before I took one step.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
My church's mens softball team was always awful. Everybody on our team was either a church member or regular attendee ( none of us had to introduce ourselves to each other at the first practices). Most of the other churches in the league had ringers who we all knew didnt go to that church, or any church. We didnt complain about it because, hey, if somebody's softball playing increases the likelihood they will go to church, that's a good thing. So, we just played to have fun. Thanks to the superior senses of humor on our team, we did just that.

Yes & we left u in great shape:).

oh, btw, I can guess who that tight end was......sc?

Saw that team play Carolina High in Sirrine Stadium. I had just started middle school (1st year for middle school...had been Jr. High). Had a cousin who was a senior lineman for Carolina that year. One play I remember, in particular, was y’all getting a safety when there was a mishandled punt attempt from the endzone. CHS had a really good QB who was also their punter (Rick Loftis...heck of a point guard, too). He had the presence of mind to make sure to get the ball out of the back of the endzone to make sure it was 2 pts. given up rather than 6-7 pts.

When I was 9 or 10 played basketball at Tri City. We went 0 fer on the season. The “highlight” was playing one of my best friends teams. We were up 4 wit 4.8 seconds left in the game. We were all thinking about finally getting that W. Still don’t remember what happened but our coach FLIPPED OUT ON THE REFS. He got 3 techs, kicked out the gym, and my friend proceeded to make 4 of 6 from the line to send it to OT. Where we lost. To this day, that was the moment I realized I will never take Rec ball seriously again

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
My high school football experience was about starting bad and getting better, on JV we went 3-6 my freshman year, but my Sophomore year we were 8-2 and district champs. Then on Varsity we were 3-7 my Junior year, but had a strong finish after starting 0-6, and my Senior year we went 8-2(8-3 if you include our playoff loss) district champs again.

One game from JV that magnifies this is we lost at home to a district rival 49-13 my freshman year and they tacked on a couple of late touchdowns to run up the score, my sophomore year we beat the same district rival 30-6 in their house, the debacle from my freshman year was frequently brought up before the game, and I remember one of my teammates in the "good game line" after the game quoting Randy Quaid from independence day: "payback's a b**** ain't it!"

My church's mens softball team was always awful. Everybody on our team was either a church member or regular attendee ( none of us had to introduce ourselves to each other at the first practices). Most of the other churches in the league had ringers who we all knew didnt go to that church, or any church. We didnt complain about it because, hey, if somebody's softball playing increases the likelihood they will go to church, that's a good thing. So, we just played to have fun. Thanks to the superior senses of humor on our team, we did just that.

same here.I played on a few church teams (won a few championships)but the regular team I played on (around 1990 or so)really was bad.just regular guys out having fun.But we had a ball, our coach was the type to badger the umpire,kick dirt on the base etc.one time we played in a tournament and we won our 1st game.we saw who we was playing against in the next game and never heard of them before.A team called Big Country.As it with our coach on game day we saw those “BIG” guys show up,he said “don’t let them intimidate you ya.”As the game got started he told us that they won’t beat us by the 30 cut off rule.by the 3rd inning got under way and they was close to 30,our coach threw in a white towel and hollers out “I told ya they wouldn’t beat ya by 30!!” It was freaking hilarious.

I was a punter. In one game against I forget who, I got a bad snap and while trying to get the punt off ended up kicking one of my blockers square in the butt.

The football ended up going about 8 yards. I'd hit it with my shin.

I also was a pitcher for a while and we played this team that liked to steal bases, and me and the catcher got smart and decided he'd signal me if the runner took a big lead, then I could whirl around and pick him off because he wouldnt realize I'd been paying attention. It was brilliant

It was like a code, only I forgot what meant to throw to first and what meant to throw home.

Anyway, runner gets on and I'm totally ignoring the base runner and staring at the catcher, who was furiously tap dancing around behind the plate.

(The signal as I recall was that he'd twist his left foot to throw to first and his right foot to just go through with the pitch).

Finally with people hollering from both dugouts and the stands and the catcher doing the hokey pokey I just figured what the hell and whirled around to throw to first. By then the runner was on second and we'd forgot to tell the first baseman our scheme so he had no idea what was happening and the ball kind of surprised him and he ducked. Ball kept going, runner went to third. Things went downhill from there.

I was the ace of our staff. We were like 0-18.

My junior year in HS our football team wasn't really that bad (4-6), but we had one game where we were down 20-0 after less than 3 minutes into the game. Fumbled the KO return, 2 plays later 7-0. Next possession pick six 13-0. Next possession, fumble into our own end zone 20-0. BUZZSAW.
We played in a stunned state the next 2 quarters, now its 33-0. Got our act together to a least make it 40-19. Never been in a game where right out of the block everyone is WTF just happened.

I always played on some good teams...it was when I coached. My first coaching job was coaches pitch in little league. I think we went 0-12...and the games were never even close except for one. That was an eye opening experience. I knew how Lou Holtz felt that year.

I always played on some good teams...it was when I coached. My first coaching job was coaches pitch in little league. I think we went 0-12...and the games were never even close except for one. That was an eye opening experience. I knew how Lou Holtz felt that year.

My senior year our basketball team was awful. Had only six players. One game we had racked up a lot of fouls. In the fourth quarter one of ours fouled out. Then another. Down to four players. We kept playing. Then three players. We kept playing. Got down to me and one other player. It was so funny. Crowd was loving it. Then, I fouled out. Now it’s one on five. They scored and our lone remaining player went to take the ball out. There was no one to throw it to. Place went crazy with laughter. True story

My senior year our basketball team was awful. Had only six players. One game we had racked up a lot of fouls. In the fourth quarter one of ours fouled out. Then another. Down to four players. We kept playing. Then three players. We kept playing. Got down to me and one other player. It was so funny. Crowd was loving it. Then, I fouled out. Now it’s one on five. They scored and our lone remaining player went to take the ball out. There was no one to throw it to. Place went crazy with laughter. True story
You were smart to foul out before him and not get left out there alone!!!!!

Last edited:
You were smart to foul out before him and not get least out there alone!!!!!
yes. You should have seen the look on his face when he realized there was no one to catch his throw in. The whole gym was in stitches

Did you play on any really bad, like funny bad, teams”

No, I never played Football for the University of SC.

Kinda the same theme. My last year of college, I had already accepted a good job that would be my career and all I had to do my last semester was pass. I was a straight A student, so could do that in my sleep. So for about six months I played racquetball five times a week for about 4 hours each time. I soon was in the physical shape of my life and felt like I was pretty good and was either beating or coming close to beating everyone in intramurals and all the regular players at the university. So early one Saturday morning I go over to a deserted gym, but notice two guys playing on the challenge courts. Those are courts where you play one game to 15 and take on all comers, the winner continuing to play. So I wait my turn. He beats me 15-1 and seemingly lets me get the 1 to salve my pride. A bit later I play the other guy. He is doing soft lob serves instead of the hard ones I had seen him use against the other guy. Even with that, I lose 15-2. We did that all morning and I finally got three points one game. But in the water breaks between games they kept talking about their sponsors. I was curious thinking maybe Alcoholics Anonymous? I didn't know what they meant. They meant Ektelon and Dunlop, they were professional racquetball players who the racquetmakers sponsored on the professional racquetball tour. Suddenly, instead of despondent of how poorly I played, I was jubilant and bragging "I scored three points on a professional". Admittedly he probably let me.

I coached a 6th grade boys basketball team on the Trident League in Charleston County years ago. My middle don, that went on to play for Wando HS was on that team. Pretty good, competitive basketball. Anyway, we lost a few of our better players to academics. The team won about three games that season. We were bad! In one of those games, a kid from a James Is. Middle School grabbed a DEFENSIVE REBOUND, and promptly put it back up for two points. We won that game by one or two points. I felt really bad for him, but was happy for our kids with the win.

Played 1 season at a posh / NC boarding school..... won't say which one..... I was a WR. Starter. We never won a single game. I liked the game good enough, didn't care much for the practices. Shrugs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT