ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
Kicked out of the US open for hitting a ball at a ref. He didnt mean to do it. But it happened. Dang

Ridiculous. Not that big of a deal at all in my opinion. Surely not enough to be disqualified.

Last edited:
Reactions: birdmanCU
He lost the point and was mad. He hit the ball hard but didnt mean to hit her. But he did and he has been be kicked out.

Somewhere in Europe.
giphy.gif

Ridiculous. Not that big of a deal at all in my opinion. Surely not enough to be disqualified.

He lost the point and was mad. He hit the ball hard but didnt mean to hit her. But he did and he has been be kicked out.

So just to make a point and somewhat meet you two in the middle, let's just say that since he accidentally hit her with the ball due to his emmotions twerking his common sense, then the same can be said of the Ref - Their emmotions got the best of both!

He got what he deserved. There are other ways to channel your frustration. It’s no different than a baseball, basketball or football player accidentally striking an official when angry about a call.

She will milk this thing for all she can get.
Her reaction didn't help Djokovic that's for sure. Unless it hit her in the eyeball I don't see how a tennis could possibly hurt you that bad. It looked like an Academy Award performance honestly.

It's actually a rule and others have been DQ'd for doing the same in previous years. It's to protect the staff. A tennis ball can be dangerous, look what happened with Stefan Edberg when accidently killed a linesmana man in a match during the early 80s. This Wikipedia page explains it a little bit more detail.
I don't think Novak had no ill intent but it was still reckless.

Her reaction didn't help Djokovic that's for sure. Unless it hit her in the eyeball I don't see how a tennis could possibly hurt you that bad. It looked like an Academy Award performance honestly.

Getting hit in the neck unexpectedly really really sucks. I’m not surprised at all by her reaction, it takes a few minutes to get oxygen back after it happens. At least that’s how it was in my experience playing sports in high school

Reactions: Gamekem
All the guy did was volley the ball backwards. That reaction is worse that soccer players fake out or BB players fake pulling a charge call.​

Reactions: gamecox4982
He got what he deserved. There are other ways to channel your frustration. It’s no different than a baseball, basketball or football player accidentally striking an official when angry about a call.
Your joking right ?

That's a crazy way to lose a tournament. I had heard of the rule years ago, but had never seen anyone violate it before. Though it seems like a pretty easy rule to not violate - just don't hit balls at the staff.

Getting hit in the neck unexpectedly really really sucks. I’m not surprised at all by her reaction, it takes a few minutes to get oxygen back after it happens. At least that’s how it was in my experience playing sports in high school

It's actually a rule and others have been DQ'd for doing the same in previous years. It's to protect the staff. A tennis ball can be dangerous, look what happened with Stefan Edberg when accidently killed a linesmana man in a match during the early 80s. This Wikipedia page explains it a little bit more detail.
I don't think Novak had no ill intent but it was still reckless.
I was probably a bit harsh in my earlier response. It's obviously a rule and the judges clearly had to enforce it. It was, however, clearly an accident. It appeared not hit overly hard but I'm sure it didn't feel good to the line judge either.

This rule has been in place for decades and many players have been DQ'd for violating it in the past. It was unintentional, but Djokovic clearly violated the rule and deserved to be kicked out. If in the NFL, NBA, or MLB you can get thrown out of games for merely touching the referees, then getting tossed in tennis for actually hitting one with a ball is only unreasonable to the ignorant....

What would have happened if the ball hit her leg or foot?
Same thing would happen. You're not supposed to hit any on court official, it's an automatic DQ. The only exception is if you're in the middle of rally.

So just to make a point and somewhat meet you two in the middle, let's just say that since he accidentally hit her with the ball due to his emmotions twerking his common sense, then the same can be said of the Ref - Their emmotions got the best of both!
emmotions?? realllly?

The referee simply applied the rules. This happens every now and then. Serena Williams actually lost her s*** a number of years back and was disqualified. Denis Shapovalov hit the chair umpire in the eye with a ball in a Davis Cup match a few years back. Clearly an accident, but he was disqualified for firing the ball out of anger. The poor kid was about to cry. ND knew the rule and immediately went to his opponent and shook his hand.

Reactions: jeff2001
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT