ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe in UFO’s

Are there others out there?

• Yes

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 24.4%

• Total voters
I think we would be naïve to think we are the only civilization in this vast universe. Bigger question is do you believe spirits/ghosts?
I considered starting a new thread for paranormal. I personally have experience there but not aliens.

There is life out there. But the idea that they've found us in the virtually limitless expanse of space is as much a virtual impossibility as the probability that they don't even exist. As in, they're there, but we'll never see them, and they'll never see us except by sheer dumb luck. I'm not so egotistical as to think that we are alone, nor am I such to think we're important enough that they've somehow sought us out.

Anyone who doesn’t believe in “UFOs” has simply not been paying attention. There are thousands of reports of unidentified flying objects dating back throughout history as far back as man has been able to record things in written/picture form. Recently the US Government officially acknowledged the existence of UFOs and released multiple videos of encounters that our air force and Navy had had with them.

It is important to note the OP asked if you believe in UFOs NOT if you believe in aliens. Again, there have been thousands o unidentified flying objects, and objects moving at high rates of speed through the oceans as well... What we do not know is who is piloting these craft if anyone is. Are they advanced craft built by China or Russia? We better hope NOT! If our enemies have craft capable of maneuvering at speeds and G forces that would be fatal to a human pilot, vastly superior to anything we know to exist on Earth, it is not only unlikely they would be that advanced it is TERRIFYING to think our enemies could be so far ahead of us.

It is possible that these could be extra terrestrial craft piloted by robots or beings from another world/dimension/time... sure most sightings are miss-identified... Either craft we know to exist or things like balloons that look different at a distance. The old “weather Balloon”/ “Swamp gas” BS excuses the Government feeds us when trying to cover things up. Look back to Roswell in the 40s- initially the Army reported multiple round saucers having been recovered with as many as five dead bodies of creatures not from this Earth. Then, 24 hours later I guess the bodies and crafts disappeared and suddenly the took some pictures of a tinfoil kite and told us it was all a weather ballon? Surrrreeee... They found something in that desert.. Again, ALIENS? Who knows, but it was more than a freaking BALLOON.

So do I believe in UFOs?? Yeah... thousands of reports of them from round the world are not all made up. Are they ALIENS? No proof of that yet but there is no way some of this stuff was made by humans with today’s technology.

Last edited:
Let's assume that the universe is quite big. Why does that necessarily mean that there are aliens out there that can view us from above? And why do we conclude that these aliens have the same sense of right and wrong that we do, allowing them to conclude on how we treat each other?

Damn, if they're aliens out there, i'm thinking we could learn a lot from them.

There is life out there. But the idea that they've found us in the virtually limitless expanse of space is as much a virtual impossibility as the probability that they don't even exist. As in, they're there, but we'll never see them, and they'll never see us except by sheer dumb luck. I'm not so egotistical as to think that we are alone, nor am I such to think we're important enough that they've somehow sought us out.

I'm not sure how you can make the 2 strong claims that (paraphrasing) "They're definitely out there" and "They're definitely too far away."

The trajectory of human civilization (the only civilization we know of) has been of exponential growth for the better part of a millennium. Projecting exponential growth out just a few centuries in the future, a large portion of the galaxy could potentially be colonized by our descendants, even without FTL travel.

When you consider that, if there are other civs out there, some likely had millions of years' head start on us, it is downright odd that not one civilization has managed to establish a detectable (by us) presence in the visible universe. It suggests that there may be some insurmountable or virtually insurmountable barrier between lifeless matter and galactic colonization. Hopefully whatever this is, it's a stage that we've already passed.

Why exactly is a belief that we are alone an egotistical one? This seems to be a popular assertion, but is somewhat peculiar. Those of us that don't quite believe in something that hasn't been observed or otherwise proven in some form or fashion, have a large ego??

Why exactly is a belief that we are alone an egotistical one? This seems to be a popular assertion, but is somewhat peculiar. Those of us that don't quite believe in something that hasn't been observed or otherwise proven in some form or fashion, have a large ego??
No, that the conditions to support life are so unique and could only have ever occurred on this mud ball and none of the other trillions of trillions of mud balls. It's not peculiar, if you apply actual critical thinking. Out there, where trillions of trillions of planets exist the odds that not one can support life is a ridiculous claim. Call it ego, or arrogance or whatever to believe that we, on this planet are so special and unique that the conditions to create life would never be replicated or even exceeded. We are not special. We are meat bags on a mud ball hurtling through space around a ball of burning gas. If you can look at that and honestly say there's no way it could ever happen anywhere else or even in ways you couldn't begin to fathom, I'd call you unimaginative. Granted, I can't fathom those details either; our brains are not meant to comprehend such magnitude. But the general idea, I can start to grasp that.

In ROTC at The Citadel,we had a guest lecture from the Fighter Intercept Squadron located at Chas AFB at the time.Late 70's.As the lecture concluded with Q and A, he he said,"Well,is anyone going to ask?""Has any pilot seen a UFO.? He said every single member of his intercept squadron had seen things that they couldn't explain.That was was 40 years ago.Read about the Nimitz encounter some years back.

Reactions: bird86
I'm not sure how you can make the 2 strong claims that (paraphrasing) "They're definitely out there" and "They're definitely too far away."

The trajectory of human civilization (the only civilization we know of) has been of exponential growth for the better part of a millennium. Projecting exponential growth out just a few centuries in the future, a large portion of the galaxy could potentially be colonized by our descendants, even without FTL travel.

When you consider that, if there are other civs out there, some likely had millions of years' head start on us, it is downright odd that not one civilization has managed to establish a detectable (by us) presence in the visible universe. It suggests that there may be some insurmountable or virtually insurmountable barrier between lifeless matter and galactic colonization. Hopefully whatever this is, it's a stage that we've already passed.
The universe is far too vast. Any two random occurrences have such a small chance of occurring close enough to one another to be observable as to be virtually nothing.

What has always intrigued me is the selective process that aliens use in choosing their experimental victims. I mean choosing drunks fishing in the middle of BFE is their normal 'prey', or plucking grounds.

"Well, me, Bubba, and Billy Bob was asitting thar afushin, and suddenly this bright, shiny space mushine acome downed on usin, and swooped me plum up". "They done some thangs to me, and dropped me over thar by Tupelo"

I believe you reference the "famous episode in Pascagoula Mississippi in which Billy Bob got his false teeth stolen during the abduction.

The universe is far too vast. Any two random occurrences have such a small chance of occurring close enough to one another to be observable as to be virtually nothing.

Yeah, but how much more reasonable is it to say that there are exactly 2 civilizations rather than only one?

If I had to bet, I would bet that life does in fact exist elsewhere, but I can still recognize that the total absence of evidence is a serious concern for that hypothesis.

No, that the conditions to support life are so unique and could only have ever occurred on this mud ball and none of the other trillions of trillions of mud balls. It's not peculiar, if you apply actual critical thinking. Out there, where trillions of trillions of planets exist the odds that not one can support life is a ridiculous claim. Call it ego, or arrogance or whatever to believe that we, on this planet are so special and unique that the conditions to create life would never be replicated or even exceeded. We are not special. We are meat bags on a mud ball hurtling through space around a ball of burning gas. If you can look at that and honestly say there's no way it could ever happen anywhere else or even in ways you couldn't begin to fathom, I'd call you unimaginative. Granted, I can't fathom those details either; our brains are not meant to comprehend such magnitude. But the general idea, I can start to grasp that.

Understood that is your perspective, and I feel sorry for anyone that holds fast to such a purposeless existence.

My faith lies in the creation account documented in the book of Genesis. In that account, men and women are created in God's image. That makes us both special and unique. Sin entered the world through the actions of Adam and Eve...but Jesus took the form of a man, and paid the price for our sins. That's evidence of God's love for us...and not something that he would logically do for a mere bunch of meat bags on a mud ball.

The creation account is fairly detailed, and does not mention human life being created elsewhere. Couple that with a lack of any hard evidence that martians, ETs, UFOs exist, and you have recipe to believe that the life that exists on the earth is not duplicated elsewhere.

A difference in belief systems doesn't make you humble and me egotistical, or in some way unimaginative. I don't see how you can make that conclusion.

Understood that is your perspective, and I feel sorry for anyone that holds fast to such a purposeless existence.

My faith lies in the creation account documented in the book of Genesis. In that account, men and women are created in God's image. That makes us both special and unique. Sin entered the world through the actions of Adam and Eve...but Jesus took the form of a man, and paid the price for our sins. That's evidence of God's love for us...and not something that he would logically do for a mere bunch of meat bags on a mud ball.

The creation account is fairly detailed, and does not mention human life being created elsewhere. Couple that with a lack of any hard evidence that martians, ETs, UFOs exist, and you have recipe to believe that the life that exists on the earth is not duplicated elsewhere.

A difference in belief systems doesn't make you humble and me egotistical, or in some way unimaginative. I don't see how you can make that conclusion.
You know, I was hoping this wasn't where you were going. For the sake of the forum, I'm going to abstain from further discussion on this subject. I have delved into politics. I will not discuss religion on here too.

Reactions: ShannonL
I guess that's the case if you believe that the occurrence of life is a random event.

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. So, that makes me arrogant? Wow.
I didn't say you were arrogant for believing that.. I'm not going to pretend to have the answer. Anything is possible.

I guess that's the case if you believe that the occurrence of life is a random event.

I don't subscribe to that line of thinking. So, that makes me arrogant? Wow.
I just re-read the arrogant post that I responded to and in no way was I insinuating that you were arrogant for believing what you do. I see why you would think that though from my response. Apologys to you sir.

What has always intrigued me is the selective process that aliens use in choosing their experimental victims. I mean choosing drunks fishing in the middle of BFE is their normal 'prey', or plucking grounds.

"Well, me, Bubba, and Billy Bob was asitting thar afushin, and suddenly this bright, shiny space mushine acome downed on usin, and swooped me plum up". "They done some thangs to me, and dropped me over thar by Tupelo"
That is not true at all actually. People of all walks of life from the “Bubbas” you describe above to famous authors, people in the military, politicians, and even former presidents of the USA and other countries have reported everything from UFO sightings to alien abductions. A former Canadian defense minister is one of the main people asserting that governments are in league with aliens who visit the Earth and share technology with us... Go look up Nick Pope- worked for the British Government... Has come out and said for YEARS the sane claims about UFOS/aliens and Government coordination... Bob Lazar May have been the most famous scientist to come forward and say they had worked on UFOs for our government but there are plenty of other independent people who do research at MIT and other top level universities and think tanks who claim to have been given unexplained super advanced tech from the US Government with unidentified markings on it that they were asked to reverse engineer... The list of reputable people claiming personal experiences with or direct abduction by UFOs is long... It just does not get publicized because it makes people uncomfortable. Much easier to dismiss ole drunk Jim Bob and Bubba than it is to dismiss claims by a sitting US President for instance..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim...City, Oklahoma, which he did in September 1973.

http://nickpope.net/wpte19/ufos/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d,'been visiting our planet for thousands of

[URL]https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-election-alien-idUSTRE5812DV20090902[/URL]
[URL='https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-election-alien-idUSTRE5812DV20090902']
[URL]https://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/925919/PENTAGON-UFO-Former-defence-minister-US-storing-ALIEN-UFO-parts
[/URL][/URL]
[URL='https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-election-alien-idUSTRE5812DV20090902']

[/URL]

Have you been through Seneca ? How else could that be explained

You might be right. I got first and second and third cousins who played football at Seneca High back in the 70s and 80s and 90s.

That is not true at all actually. People of all walks of life from the “Bubbas” you describe above to famous authors, people in the military, politicians, and even former presidents of the USA and other countries have reported everything from UFO sightings to alien abductions. A former Canadian defense minister is one of the main people asserting that governments are in league with aliens who visit the Earth and share technology with us... Go look up Nick Pope- worked for the British Government... Has come out and said for YEARS the sane claims about UFOS/aliens and Government coordination... Bob Lazar May have been the most famous scientist to come forward and say they had worked on UFOs for our government but there are plenty of other independent people who do research at MIT and other top level universities and think tanks who claim to have been given unexplained super advanced tech from the US Government with unidentified markings on it that they were asked to reverse engineer... The list of reputable people claiming personal experiences with or direct abduction by UFOs is long... It just does not get publicized because it makes people uncomfortable. Much easier to dismiss ole drunk Jim Bob and Bubba than it is to dismiss claims by a sitting US President for instance..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_UFO_incident#:~:text=Jimmy Carter ( US President 1977–1981) reported seeing,City, Oklahoma, which he did in September 1973.

http://nickpope.net/wpte19/ufos/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535698/Aliens-walk-theyre-refusing-share-technology-change-warring-polluting-ways-claims-former-Canadian-defense-minister.html#:~:text=Former Canadian defense minister Paul Hellyer, 90, declared,'been visiting our planet for thousands of

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-election-alien-idUSTRE5812DV20090902
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-election-alien-idUSTRE5812DV20090902
https://www.express.co.uk/news/weir...r-defence-minister-US-storing-ALIEN-UFO-parts

It's fine, I'm a show me type. You can tell me you can fly, but until I SEE you fly, I don't believe that in fact you can. Doesn't mean I'm right of course. I'd like to believe there is other life out there, and highly possible, I've just never seen irrefutable evidence to support that train of thought.

I am not diving in to question anyone’s faith (you say you have faith, good for you!) or call someone arrogant for believing that we are the only world to ever have life develop on it, but let’s take a look at Ancient Alien theory vs Christianity. This should be fun! *if you keep an open mind and actually think it through...

Ancient Alien theory was really Started when Eric Vondaniken wrote “The Chariots of the Gods”... Kind of the “Bible” for this theory in a way. I recommend it if you haven’t read it- asks a lot of good questions, but mostly it just touches on so many interesting unsolved “mysteries” of the world you probably never thought much about before.

Christianity says an all powerful, all knowing deity snapped his fingers one day and magically created the entire world (there is no other planet I guess in this theory? i guess right? It also asserts that yhis all happened just a few thousand years ago, so while religious people won’t believe in aliens-ok, what about Dinosaurs?? I digress..) he made light, people and all plants and animals eventually right?(again- dinosaurs? 2,000 years ago?) So to believe in this firmly is to say you believe MAGIC IS REAL. That is what you think you have seen evidence of and believe but you not believe in UFOs because you have not seen proof of them yourself?

Ancient alien theories suggest that over thousands and thousands of years Aliens helped support the development of complex life (some suggest they started the life by seeding worlds using their own DNA/ building blocks of life) and revisited us periodically to help it advance through DNA manipulation and giving us technology advancements... and that all religions when they mention deities coming down from the sky in “flying chariots”/ Archamedes’ wheel/ DRAGONS in the far East... It was misinterpreted technology/ flying craft being described in the parlance of their time. It can be picked apart much further and more detailed, but in the end- I HAVE SEEN the dramatic advancements of human technological achievements in my lifetime with my own eyes. It is plausible/ reasonable? to think that of the TRILLIONS OF STARS- many of which have planets orbiting them within habitable zones over BIIILLLIOONNNNSSS of years...- that perhaps there are civilizations that exist that are thousands (MILLIONS?) of years ahead of us in technological advancement and could actually travel between worlds many light years apart using their advanced tech.... Perhaps they do not give a rip about us but They likely WOULD give a rip about our RESOURCES (anyone ever wonder why Gold- one of the best conductors known to exist, used in the most advanced tech today... Has been so coveted by man since the dawn of time? Almost like someone told us it had value, perhaps even CREATED US to mine it for them?)... That seems possible at least when we have all seen in our lifetimes alone how far tech can advance right? In 40 years we went from not even having remote controls for our TVs, or personal computers to having a computer capable of most anything IN OUR POCKETS!

So- is it more reasonable to believe in the possibility of technological advancement or more plausible to believe creation myths of a magical God who sits in the clouds watching our every move and judging our actions based off how well we stayed within the rules he gave us to live bye?

Seriously- you guys tell me. Do you believe in magic? I have never seen any proof that real magic exists or is possible by human hands, or by God’s hands and I have never seen a God or an Angel either... I OWN advanced technology that we could not have made on this Earth even 10 years ago... I am typing this message on an iphone that, if I took a working version of it back to Jesus’ time, would likely be viewed as “magic”, right? A device that can allow me to communicate with people all over the world, or give me the answer to virtually any question immediately!?! How would that have been described in scripture?

I guess there is some value in religion, I have just never bought in. It is a money grab like every human creation- “how can I exert power over and solicit money from people”- the driving force behind all things that motivate us. Religion is a fairy take that has been told a thousand different ways through time. How can Christianity say they have it right over Muslims? Or over Buddhists? How can one version of Christianity feel they are “more right” than another? Like Baptists vs,.. Catholics? Vs... MORMONS!?! (Anyone want to tell me what Mormons or scientologists believe is any more crazy than Ancient Alien theory?) They all really believe They have it dead on perfect and everyone else if going to Hell? Give me a break.

I know this post will really light some fires as this is the South and people grew up going to church and me saying I think that was all a lie and ultimately a rip off, is going to absolutely make people hate me. That’s fine. If you are that obtuse to not even take an objective look at your own beliefs in light of a challenge to them, I have no use for talking to you in the first place. People like that are going to spend your whole life regurgitating whatever nonsense you were fed as a child, without even taking the time to think about it. I challenge any supporter of any religion to present me with a more Rational argument for why magic is more plausible than tech that trumps my example of how this iphone in my hand right now is plausible proof of what technology can achieve and how reasonable it is to think that more advanced beings than we are today could have come to Earth at some point over the past couple million years or so... It is rehtorical obviously, as that is why “faith” was made the central tenant of religion. There IS NO PROOF... There is only old fables written in a book that is transcribed from oral histories compiled from dozens/hundreds?/thousands? of story tellers over generations. So, have your faith, enjoy that- I am sticking with my iPhone. I do not pretend to know what did or did not happen a million years ago but when I an presented with all the theories... RELIGIOUS creation stories are at the bottom of the list of what I believe may have actually happened.

It's fine, I'm a show me type. You can tell me you can fly, but until I SEE you fly, I don't believe that in fact you can. Doesn't mean I'm right of course. I'd like to believe there is other life out there, and highly possible, I've just never seen irrefutable evidence to support that train of thought.
That is fair- irrefutable evidence? I do not have it... circumstantial evidence? I posted quite a few links to it! LOL

NONE of us knows what is or is not out there... or where “it all came from”... I am a firm believer in the ideas behind the Drake equations and if you couple that with the Fermi paradox, it is quite likely we have been visited. When? Where? Does that civilization/S that visited us even still exist? Who knows...? It is fun to think about though!

I just re-read the arrogant post that I responded to and in no way was I insinuating that you were arrogant for believing what you do. I see why you would think that though from my response. Apologys to you sir.

No worries...and appreciate the follow-up!

You know, I was hoping this wasn't where you were going. For the sake of the forum, I'm going to abstain from further discussion on this subject. I have delved into politics. I will not discuss religion on here too.

Fair enough. Hope you can at least leave room for anyone that doesn't share your view of the earth's origins or our purpose here. Calling said folks arrogant, egotistical or unimaginative is unnecessary.

Without addressing the merits of either assumption (theistic versus non theistic), it seems worth saying that if one believes in a creator, then it’s quite reasonable to believe the creator made humanity special (although one could also believe the opposite) and if one believes that there was no creator, then it’s quite reasonable to believe we are not “alone” (although one could also believe the opposite until proven differently). In the end, none of us knows for sure.

As for the recent government reports, I think the overwhelmingly most likely situation is that our military is engaging in misdirection for the millionth time and which is actually part of their job description, rather than aliens made it all the way here, apparently crashing in the process (in the US of A thank goodness!), and somehow the only folks that know after all this time is a part of our govt so secret even Congress, the Pres, and most of the DoD don’t know, while at the same time the nation with the smartest collection of humans from around the world is entrusting the supposedly “non-earth based materials” to the Blink 182 guy to help us figure it all out.

Last edited:
Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
I personally believe in the biblical account of creation as told in Genesis as well. Go on - mock me all you want - but that is what I believe. Now whether or not it was over millions of years or in 7 days, I cannot say for sure. However, I tend to lean towards the idea that it was created in a literal 7 day period. If you believe in the rest of the Bible, which teaches that sin is the reason for all the chaos and death on the earth, it does not make sense to believe that the 7 day period was actually millions of years because you would have to accept that fact that a loving God allowed all that death to occur in the animal kingdom for millions of years before sin ever entered the picture. Could there be aliens? I guess there could be because there are many answers that we are not given through Biblical teaching, so ok. Maybe. However, I find it highly unlikely but who knows? Oh, for Gamecock Lifer - Genesis believing Christians have no issue with dinosaurs. There is no question that they walked the earth and there are several Biblical verses to suggest they were on earth at the same time as was man. Most Genesis believers think that they were destroyed during the flood.

I am not diving in to question anyone’s faith (you say you have faith, good for you!) or call someone arrogant for believing that we are the only world to ever have life develop on it, but let’s take a look at Ancient Alien theory vs Christianity. This should be fun! *if you keep an open mind and actually think it through...

Ancient Alien theory was really Started when Eric Vondaniken wrote “The Chariots of the Gods”... Kind of the “Bible” for this theory in a way. I recommend it if you haven’t read it- asks a lot of good questions, but mostly it just touches on so many interesting unsolved “mysteries” of the world you probably never thought much about before.

Christianity says an all powerful, all knowing deity snapped his fingers one day and magically created the entire world (there is no other planet I guess in this theory? i guess right? It also asserts that yhis all happened just a few thousand years ago, so while religious people won’t believe in aliens-ok, what about Dinosaurs?? I digress..) he made light, people and all plants and animals eventually right?(again- dinosaurs? 2,000 years ago?) So to believe in this firmly is to say you believe MAGIC IS REAL. That is what you think you have seen evidence of and believe but you not believe in UFOs because you have not seen proof of them yourself?

Ancient alien theories suggest that over thousands and thousands of years Aliens helped support the development of complex life (some suggest they started the life by seeding worlds using their own DNA/ building blocks of life) and revisited us periodically to help it advance through DNA manipulation and giving us technology advancements... and that all religions when they mention deities coming down from the sky in “flying chariots”/ Archamedes’ wheel/ DRAGONS in the far East... It was misinterpreted technology/ flying craft being described in the parlance of their time. It can be picked apart much further and more detailed, but in the end- I HAVE SEEN the dramatic advancements of human technological achievements in my lifetime with my own eyes. It is plausible/ reasonable? to think that of the TRILLIONS OF STARS- many of which have planets orbiting them within habitable zones over BIIILLLIOONNNNSSS of years...- that perhaps there are civilizations that exist that are thousands (MILLIONS?) of years ahead of us in technological advancement and could actually travel between worlds many light years apart using their advanced tech.... Perhaps they do not give a rip about us but They likely WOULD give a rip about our RESOURCES (anyone ever wonder why Gold- one of the best conductors known to exist, used in the most advanced tech today... Has been so coveted by man since the dawn of time? Almost like someone told us it had value, perhaps even CREATED US to mine it for them?)... That seems possible at least when we have all seen in our lifetimes alone how far tech can advance right? In 40 years we went from not even having remote controls for our TVs, or personal computers to having a computer capable of most anything IN OUR POCKETS!

So- is it more reasonable to believe in the possibility of technological advancement or more plausible to believe creation myths of a magical God who sits in the clouds watching our every move and judging our actions based off how well we stayed within the rules he gave us to live bye?

Seriously- you guys tell me. Do you believe in magic? I have never seen any proof that real magic exists or is possible by human hands, or by God’s hands and I have never seen a God or an Angel either... I OWN advanced technology that we could not have made on this Earth even 10 years ago... I am typing this message on an iphone that, if I took a working version of it back to Jesus’ time, would likely be viewed as “magic”, right? A device that can allow me to communicate with people all over the world, or give me the answer to virtually any question immediately!?! How would that have been described in scripture?

I guess there is some value in religion, I have just never bought in. It is a money grab like every human creation- “how can I exert power over and solicit money from people”- the driving force behind all things that motivate us. Religion is a fairy take that has been told a thousand different ways through time. How can Christianity say they have it right over Muslims? Or over Buddhists? How can one version of Christianity feel they are “more right” than another? Like Baptists vs,.. Catholics? Vs... MORMONS!?! (Anyone want to tell me what Mormons or scientologists believe is any more crazy than Ancient Alien theory?) They all really believe They have it dead on perfect and everyone else if going to Hell? Give me a break.

I know this post will really light some fires as this is the South and people grew up going to church and me saying I think that was all a lie and ultimately a rip off, is going to absolutely make people hate me. That’s fine. If you are that obtuse to not even take an objective look at your own beliefs in light of a challenge to them, I have no use for talking to you in the first place. People like that are going to spend your whole life regurgitating whatever nonsense you were fed as a child, without even taking the time to think about it. I challenge any supporter of any religion to present me with a more Rational argument for why magic is more plausible than tech that trumps my example of how this iphone in my hand right now is plausible proof of what technology can achieve and how reasonable it is to think that more advanced beings than we are today could have come to Earth at some point over the past couple million years or so... It is rehtorical obviously, as that is why “faith” was made the central tenant of religion. There IS NO PROOF... There is only old fables written in a book that is transcribed from oral histories compiled from dozens/hundreds?/thousands? of story tellers over generations. So, have your faith, enjoy that- I am sticking with my iPhone. I do not pretend to know what did or did not happen a million years ago but when I an presented with all the theories... RELIGIOUS creation stories are at the bottom of the list of what I believe may have actually happened.
You are free to believe whatever ridiculous notion you choose to believe, as am I. I dont believe it takes any more faith that an all powerful, all knowing creator could have snapped his fingers and created everything in this world in 7 days than it does to believe we started out as an amoeba and then crawled out of the sludge 2 trillion years ago as a toad frog and walla. 2 trillion years of chance and accident and here we are. The simple intricacies of the human eye or of one single cell tell me that is absolutely ridiculous to believe that occurred through time and chance. NO WAY. NO HOW. Simple logic tells you that everything cannot possibly come from nothing. It defies the laws of the universe. Its the most ridiculous argument ever thrown upon the brain of man.

Fair enough. Hope you can at least leave room for anyone that doesn't share your view of the earth's origins or our purpose here. Calling said folks arrogant, egotistical or unimaginative is unnecessary.
Sure. I'll concede that. I don't disagree with a lot of what you say, but I won't discuss it further, thanks.

My friend and I saw something one night in 1978. His dad was driving us home from a baseball game and stopped the car when we saw something hovering over the trees near Trenholm Rd. No noise, lights blinking around the bottom. It hovered and then started moving west toward a lightning storm in the distance. Scared the CRAP out of me since we had recently seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

About 20 years ago I met the director of NASA at a conference. I asked him why Neil Armstrong never attended special events and he said “Neil is a private person. He makes very few public appearances. He’s just waiting for a particular event to happen and then he’ll share some stories about things he’s seen that you wouldn’t believe!” I don’t think the “event” happened before he passed so I have no idea what stories he was going to share.

Billions of stars out there. Seems logical that life would have developed on more than just this one planet. I’d guess some are much more advanced and some are way behind (think single-celled organisms). If you want to go the “god created earth” route, why would he/she have created other planets if not to put life out there too?

Yes, I think there are unidentified flying objects. What they are is the subject of conjecture.

They could be:
  • robotic vehicles from another planet
  • robotic vehicles from our future
  • robotic vehicles from the present developed by the US, Russia or China
  • Manned vehicles from another planet but possessed of a technology which allows them to maneuver at right angles at high speeds
I don't believe in intelligent life from other parts of the universe mainly because in 2020 no one has offered definitive proof. It is possible they are so advanced that we cannot catch them or perceive them.

But I will say this. I suspect that if aliens do exist and they have something akin to human motives, sensibilities and morality, chances are they are keeping their distance because we are considered to be one of the most dangerous species in the known universe.

It would shake my faith - or I would have to adjust what I believe to accommodate them - if alien civilizations were discovered. I don't think you can reconcile Orthodox Christianity with the existence of alien civilizations.

Reactions: AsTheCockCrows
I personally believe in the biblical account of creation as told in Genesis as well. Go on - mock me all you want - but that is what I believe. Now whether or not it was over millions of years or in 7 days, I cannot say for sure. However, I tend to lean towards the idea that it was created in a literal 7 day period. If you believe in the rest of the Bible, which teaches that sin is the reason for all the chaos and death on the earth, it does not make sense to believe that the 7 day period was actually millions of years because you would have to accept that fact that a loving God allowed all that death to occur in the animal kingdom for millions of years before sin ever entered the picture. Could there be aliens? I guess there could be because there are many answers that we are not given through Biblical teaching, so ok. Maybe. However, I find it highly unlikely but who knows? Oh, for Gamecock Lifer - Genesis believing Christians have no issue with dinosaurs. There is no question that they walked the earth and there are several Biblical verses to suggest they were on earth at the same time as was man. Most Genesis believers think that they were destroyed during the flood.
Not my intent to mock your beliefs if that is how you took it I apologize. However, the idea that the Bible does not discredit dinosaurs but implies humans walked the earth with them is a bit... Well unlikely given Dinos were here 70+ million years ago and modern man has only been around a few tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years depending on your definition of “modern” and how complete we believe the fossil record is today..

My point in posting that lengthy conspiracy theory post was simply to say that one person’s beliefs are no more reasonable than another’s. There are a thousand different ideas out there of how, what and who created us and the Earth, but they all seem to point to some omnipotent all power Whether called God and Angels or whether called “Zeus”, or the Anunaki, it is all the same story passed down from the dawn of man and retold/repackaged under the guise of a “new religion”. My question to all who believe it was some deity who created it all using magic is- why? Why does that make sense? “Because I was raised to believe it” is a belief system I have challenged within myself for years. Be it our engrained beliefs about Religion or about race relations or politics... I think it is a good time for everyone to exam the WHY behind what we believe and start deciding if it still makes sense today. That was my goal, not to belittle you or anyone else for your beliefs.

Last edited:
Not my intent to mock your beliefs if that is how you took it I apologize. However, the idea that the Bible does not discredit dinosaurs but implies humans walked the earth with then is a bit... Well unlikely given Dinos were here 70+ million years ago and modern man has only been around a few tens (hundreds?) of thousands of years depending on your definition of “modern” and how complete we believe the fossil record is today..

My point in posting that lengthy conspiracy theory post was simply to say that one person’s beliefs are no kore reasonable than another’s. There are s thousand different ideas out there of how, what and who created us and the Earth, but they all seem to point to some omnipotent all power Whether called God and Angels or whether called “Zeus”, or the Anunaki, it is all the same story passed down from the dawn of man and retold/repackaged under the guise of a “new religion”. My question to all who believe it was some deity who created it all using magic is- why? Why does that make sense? “Because I was raisdd to believe it” is a belief system I have challenged within myself for years. Be it our engrained beliefs about Religion or about race relations or politics... I think it is a good time for everyone to exam the WHY behind what we believe and start deciding if it still makes sense today. That was my goal, not to belittle you or anyone else for your beliefs.

With all due respect, I absolutely despise the idea you are promoting here. You are trying to say that all beliefs are equal, that there is no right or wrong or black or white and that is categorically not true. If you think I believe anything because daddy told me so, you dont know the first thing about me. Oh. Wait. :)
I have spent my life questioning and doubting. I have come back around to accepting, but having some large remaining questions still unanswered. If you read and study the Bible with an open mind, you will come to see as I did, that there is a tremendous amount of evidence that supports it. Do we know the answers to everything? Not even close. However, I am ok with where I am, along with those questions, and for me, Biblical Creationism makes much more sense than does evolution. The truth is that people realize that if they come to the place where they admit the Biblical account may be true, they are forced to accept the fact that they are going to need to act on that truth and change their lifestyle and most people absolutely do not want to do that.

On a side note, looks like William Shatner will be hosting a UFO show on the History channel called the Unexplained.

ADVERTISEMENT