ADVERTISEMENT

Do you believe in UFO’s

Are there others out there?

• Yes

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 24.4%

• Total voters
Stephen Hawking,a few years ago, was asked his opinion on the future of mankind. His answer was he felt human existence on this earth had 100 to 150 years and we’re done because the planet’s resources are already strained. Population was 4 billion fifty years ago and is approaching DOUBLE that now. No way this earth can handle 30 billion people

Certainly not impossible, and I'm not as smart as Stephen Hawking, but 100-150 years seems VERY short to me.

Malthus famously predicted this 200+ years ago but he's been spectacularly wrong... so far. Population has grown fast, but production has grown even faster. Maybe that can't continue forever and we'll eventually hit diminishing returns, but I don't see any obvious technological or logistical reasons why that should be imminent.

Go to 8:55 in this video and if they are right its, going to be a long time before we go anywhere. But if ET is real somewhere, they are WAY advanced than us. I like all kinds of science related stuff and one of my favorite channels. Lots of stuff here to watch on space and stuff in general. Around the :40 second mark was something I didn't know. I bet 99 out of a 100 would get this wrong if asked, the public that is, not the Einsteins here tho.

One thing that intrigues me is, if there was intelligent life elsewhere, how closely would those beings resemble humans? I.e., from an evolutionary standpoint is intelligent life destined to be like us? Opposable thumbs and whatnot. It just doesn’t seem to me like there could be super-smart armadillos riding around in rocket ships, no matter how much the vastness of the universe suggests that even armadillos might have their day in the sun.

....but it doesn't seem totally ridiculous to think that we'll improve along the a historical trajectory and end up colonizing a large chunk of the galaxy within a few millennia..
Only if humans can overcome the limitations of long distance space travel. Wealth does not = technological advancement that may be beyond reach.

O It just doesn’t seem to me like there could be super-smart armadillos riding around in rocket ships, no matter how much the vastness of the universe suggests that even armadillos might have their day in the sun.
Mondoshawans....
720X720-mondoshawan2.jpg

Only if humans can overcome the limitations of long distance space travel. Wealth does not = technological advancement that may be beyond reach.
Warping space is theoretically possible and it already happens in nature. We have yet to figure out how to create sufficient energy to do it in a way that would make it possible for humans to travel through the galaxy. We may never figure it out, but I suspect that we will in a few hundred years. On a scale of linear time we went from the Wright Brothers to landing on the moon in 60 years. So we've only been at this a short time.

Reactions: clemmer

Maybe not necessarily, though. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years across. Even though 100,000 years is a very long time on the scale of human civilization, it's not very long on a geologic or galactic time scale. The time since the extinction of the dinosaurs is 650 times longer. So I don't think you can say that the size of the galaxy is insurmountable even if you're limited to light-speed travel.

This is not to suggest that this is our destiny: only an imaginable hypothetical. What I think it does imply, though, is that a hypothetical alien civilization with only a slight head start on us could have conceivably colonized a galaxy, and to me it's strange that we don't see any evidence of this having happened.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
..... and to me it's strange that we don't see any evidence of this having happened.
How far would the closest potential advanced civilization be?
How long would it take for them to travel from one potential habitable planet to another?

From the physics of how UFOs can rapidly accelerate, we have to assume alien advanced technology that has overcome some of the limits of gravity. What else?

Reactions: redrogers
How long would it take for them to travel from one potential habitable planet to another?

From the physics of how UFOs can rapidly accelerate, we have to assume alien advanced technology that has overcome some of the limits of gravity. What else?

Well that's was what I was saying. I feel like if these 4 things are true:

They started in our galaxy
They grow exponentially
They didn't kill themselves or escape into some invisible dimension
They had a ~1 million or more year head start on us

Then we probably SHOULD see them. And that's without assuming any FTL technologies. To me the fact that we haven't would indicate that FTL travel may not be possible.

But yeah obviously even if they didn't have that, their craft would still be unimaginably capable to have crossed the gap between stars. Arthur C Clarke said that "any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic" and I think that would be the case here.

Or some alternative that permits unmanned craft to explore. I guess it's possible that UFOs may be some unmanned technology that was sent out thousands of years ago.

Yes I think it's very likely that most space explorers will be synthetic. Either AI, remote-controlled, or emulations of biological beings.

Even on the proposed human mission to Mars, dangers like exposure to radiation are huge concerns. Interstellar travel would probably be much more hazardous.

Yes I think it's very likely that most space explorers will be synthetic. Either AI, remote-controlled, or emulations of biological beings.

Even on the proposed human mission to Mars, dangers like exposure to radiation are huge concerns. Interstellar travel would probably be much more hazardous.
Still going....Voyager 1...42+ years. :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

Reactions: Who Cares_Who Cares
I would like to see at least one video of a UFO that's not blurred or 10 miles away. You would think with all the cell phones someone would have clear evidence of one. Maybe there is clear video but I haven't seen one.

Go to 5:10 of this video and you may have your answer

I would like to see at least one video of a UFO that's not blurred or 10 miles away. You would think with all the cell phones someone would have clear evidence of one. Maybe there is clear video but I haven't seen one.
Good luck with that. Ever taken pictures/video of planes during an airshow?

Maybe not necessarily, though. The Milky Way is about 100,000 light years across. Even though 100,000 years is a very long time on the scale of human civilization, it's not very long on a geologic or galactic time scale. The time since the extinction of the dinosaurs is 650 times longer. So I don't think you can say that the size of the galaxy is insurmountable even if you're limited to light-speed travel.

This is not to suggest that this is our destiny: only an imaginable hypothetical. What I think it does imply, though, is that a hypothetical alien civilization with only a slight head start on us could have conceivably colonized a galaxy, and to me it's strange that we don't see any evidence of this having happened.
We've only explored a small fraction of our own solar system and none beyond our solar system except by telescope. So if they are there then perhaps they have chosen to remain hidden and UFOs are the only evidence we have.

Do I believe in little green creatures visiting our planet in space ships? Nope. And I do not believe in Unicorns, Fairies and Ogres, either. You can count me among the sane. Get a grip people!

Or maybe the energy field they produce distorts (bends) light making photographs appear hazy and unfocused.

If we are alone then this is the biggest waste of space ever.Hell yes I believe the real govt , the so called " deep state military-industrial complex", knows so much more and has crashed materials that have been back engineered to some extent. I think their tech is mostly way too advanced for us. Some civilizations may be millions of years older than ours. The keepers have a stranglehold on that info.

Is that you Q?

Anybody see the video from ISS where the 5 dots show up and disappear?
I am sure this will be a shock to those who have followed this thread... but YES, I saw it! Very credible source, high quality video, deff not satellites, no known spacecraft in the area from Earth... checks all the boxes. This is a 100% confirmed UFO sighting. Does that mean these lights were crafts piloted by little green men from Mars? Not necessarily.. It does not mean they were NOT piloted by aliens either though. I am waiting for the “oh, yeah we had some weather baloons slip into orbit due to increased boyancey caused by swamp gas in the area”... or some comparably idiotic explanation from a government.

Reactions: redrogers
I didn’t see it at 1st look with all the stars moving in the background.
Yep....I contend that those objects are likely unmanned and are also likely very old.
It's also possible that where ever they came from, the origins may be extinct.

Yes I think it's very likely that most space explorers will be ... or emulations of biological beings.

One of my favorite sci fi short stories. The gigantic space ship suddenly appears over NY. On the side of it, just like the Goodyear blimp it announces a representative will address the UN at noon. A bubble breaks off near noon and floats down to the podium in the UN building. It pops and there is a handsome 35 year old human looking guy who gives a speech of friendship in perfect English wearing a Brooks Brothers looking suit and tie.

One of the first questions from the audience is how amazing it is that he looks so much like us. He looks confused and explains that the aliens in the space ship look like giant amoebas and live only in liquid methane. They don't talk and trade information by swapping spit, in a couple of ounces of spit, they can convey The Collected Works of Shakespeare in data. They specially prepared him biologically as an ambassador to Earth, he is only about 4 earth years old.

I always imagine first contact something like that.

One of my favorite sci fi short stories. The gigantic space ship suddenly appears over NY. On the side of it, just like the Goodyear blimp it announces a representative will address the UN at noon. A bubble breaks off near noon and floats down to the podium in the UN building. It pops and there is a handsome 35 year old human looking guy who gives a speech of friendship in perfect English wearing a Brooks Brothers looking suit and tie.

One of the first questions from the audience is how amazing it is that he looks so much like us. He looks confused and explains that the aliens in the space ship look like giant amoebas and live only in liquid methane. They don't talk and trade information by swapping spit, in a couple of ounces of spit, they can convey The Collected Works of Shakespeare in data. They specially prepared him biologically as an ambassador to Earth, he is only about 4 earth years old.

I always imagine first contact something like that.

Yes, that would be the most exciting thing in the history of the planet if an advanced ET civilization reached out in friendship and tried to enlighten us.

Unfortunately, our own track record with "lesser" species (and even perceived lesser groups of the same species) doesn't give me a lot of confidence that this is the way it would go down. I would be a lot less surprised if we were visted because we were regarded as biological contamination in need of sterilization.

The problem is we are not limited to just light speed travel. We are limited to a fraction of it. As an object approaches the speed of light its mass increases precipitously making even traveling close to the speed of light impossible. That means at sub-light speed your timeline is significantly lengthened and 100,000 years becomes millions of years.

Yep....I contend that those objects are likely unmanned and are also likely very old.
It's also possible that where ever they came from, the origins may be extinct.
Interesting. So maybe they are controlled by some form of AI. That might explain why we have not made contact. They were sent from an older part of the galaxy, or an older galaxy, 10s of millions of years ago and are not programmed for contact with other life forms. It would also explain their ability to maneuver at high speed.

Or, they could be from our own future send back to study us.

Anyone read Michael Crichton's novel, "Sphere"?

The problem is we are not limited to just light speed travel. We are limited to a fraction of it. As an object approaches the speed of light its mass increases precipitously making even traveling close to the speed of light impossible. That means at sub-light speed your timeline is significantly lengthened and 100,000 years becomes millions of years.
But we still have to assume alien space vehicles have found a way to travel fast enough and long enough to have visited earth. What is impossible for our level of scientific knowledge, may not be for a civilization that could be millions of years ahead of our advancement.

Again, the universe is simply too vast. The idea that any civilization could occur close enough for observation is just infinitesimally small, so small as to be non-existent. If there were trillions of civilizations, a portion would be less advanced than us. And the chances of vast enough exploration would still be practically 0. 1 light year is 5,878,625,000,000 miles. That's nearly 6 TRILLION miles. so 100,000 would be nearly 600 Quadrillion miles just across our one tiny little corner of the Universe. at 10,000 miles per hour that would be 600 Trillion hours to cross, which is 6,844,626,967.83 (6.84 Billion) years. That's just one galaxy out of nearly infinite space. Again, the chance that any two civilizations would be close enough to observe each other and interact in a meaningful way is far too small so as to be non-existent.

It doesn't say there is not. Besides where did the angels come from?
The Bible says Angels are created beings (like us) made to serve God. Satan was one of the Arch Angels who rebelled against God. That story would not comport with the belief that Angels are alien beings unless you consider the Bible to be an allegory.

My belief is that the Bible story is generally true with some individual facts missing or distorted by retelling and errors in translations over 2000 years. I see no room in the Bible story for aliens on other planets. This is one of the reasons why I don't believe they exist. But I'm also not a "young earth" believer as I think the evidence that the Earth is very old (a billion years+) is compelling.

If aliens were to visit the Earth and communicate to humans that there many other civilizations throughout the universe it would cause me to question the Bible story - especially creation. It would not cause me to question my faith in God.

Think about this. How many probes have we sent to Mars? (the planet most like the Earth in our Solar System) There has been no evidence of even any microbial life found in the samples. Now, I know there was a "rock" found on Earth that is claimed to have come from Mars which contained some evidence of fossilized life. However, they did not find fossils. Just chemical evidence that they claim to be circumstantial evidence of life. I just don't consider that direct evidence and the work that was done when studying that rock has been highly criticized.

But we still have to assume alien space vehicles have found a way to travel fast enough and long enough to have visited earth. What is impossible for our level of scientific knowledge, may not be for a civilization that could be millions of years ahead of our advancement.
There are theories for FTL travel based on Einstein's equations and various theories of quantum physics so yes - if they exist they may have been able to develop the technology.

But as I have said, I do not believe in aliens. I think we are alone in the universe.

Again, the universe is simply too vast. The idea that any civilization could occur close enough for observation is just infinitesimally small, so small as to be non-existent. If there were trillions of civilizations, a portion would be less advanced than us. And the chances of vast enough exploration would still be practically 0. 1 light year is 5,878,625,000,000 miles. That's nearly 6 TRILLION miles. so 100,000 would be nearly 600 Quadrillion miles just across our one tiny little corner of the Universe. at 10,000 miles per hour that would be 600 Trillion hours to cross, which is 6,844,626,967.83 (6.84 Billion) years. That's just one galaxy out of nearly infinite space. Again, the chance that any two civilizations would be close enough to observe each other and interact in a meaningful way is far too small so as to be non-existent.

Well I'll agree that a 10,000 MPH speed limit would make things difficult, but humans have already flown craft that go more than 10x this fast. It seems feasible that some civilization could harness something like anti-matter energy to achieve a speed of some significant fraction of light.

But I also don't see how you can make any definitive statements about how far apart 2 civilizations ought to be, or estimate any base rate probability for how rare civilizations might be. Right now the sample size is us, and that's far too small to draw any of these kinds of conclusions.

I see no room in the Bible story for aliens on other planets.
You could also say you see no room for space travel or landing on the moon.
The earth has only one specie that is created in the image of God, while billions of others exists....many living in our own bodies.
The existence of intelligent life elsewhere could be totally irrelevant to people on earth being created in the image of God.

Well I'll agree that a 10,000 MPH speed limit would make things difficult, but humans have already flown craft that go more than 10x this fast. It seems feasible that some civilization could harness something like anti-matter energy to achieve a speed of some significant fraction of light.

But I also don't see how you can make any definitive statements about how far apart 2 civilizations ought to be, or estimate any base rate probability for how rare civilizations might be. Right now the sample size is us, and that's far too small to draw any of these kinds of conclusions.
I'm not saying that two civilizations "ought" to be anything. I'm saying the chance of them randomly occurring within reasonable distance of one another is incredibly small. Think of it this way. In a 3D space of nearly infinite size, the chances of any two like things being near enough to one another is pretty low. Now, we must add constraints. Not just planets, but planets that have certain elements. Not just planets with certain elements, but planets not too close to their star. Not just planets with certain elements that aren't too close to their star, but also planets not too far from their star. As the criteria pile up, the chances go way down. We have observed planets we think will support life. We don't know for sure yet. This is just the "next star over". There may be a primative civilization there. We don't know. There may be an advanced civilization there. You nor I will ever know because of the massive amounts of time to reach it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT