ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still haggle on car prices?

Or buy a used truck, pay cash and don’t get a loan! Let’s go with that one. Lol

In that example, show where the borrower paid double taxes?

In both cases, you end up with the same in your 401K, and you used the same after tax money to pay the loan. Except the 401k borrower paid himself interest and not the bank.

Or do you know of some conventional loan that allows you to deduct the entire repayment from your income?

Reactions: uscwatson21
You paid tax two times on the same money. Going in and coming out. Nothing to argue about.

You already took the tax deduction for the money when you put it in the first time. Why do you think you should be able to deduct it again when putting it back in the second time when you didn't pay any taxes when you borrowed it?

How can you NOT see that?

You paid taxes on the same money twice. Going in and coming out. Dispute that

There is nothing to dispute. Are you denying you got a tax deduction the first time you put the money in the account?

I don't know why I'm responding at this point because you're clearly incapable of admitting you were wrong. I don't honestly think you're dumb enough to believe your current argument.

You already took the tax deduction for the money when you put it in the first time. Why do you think you should be able to deduct it again when putting it back in the second time when you didn't pay any taxes when you borrowed it?

How can you NOT see that?
Unless you go over the limit you should be able to put all you want in your 401k. Either saving or paying a loan back. After all it’s your money and up to the limit it should be your choice.

Unless you go over the limit you should be able to put all you want in your 401k. Either saving or paying a loan back. After all it’s your money and up to the limit it should be your choice.

Why would you want it to work that way? That makes no sense.

There is nothing to dispute. Are you denying you got a tax deduction the first time you put the money in the account?

I don't know why I'm responding at this point because you're clearly incapable of admitting you were wrong. I don't honestly think you're dumb enough to believe your current argument.
I’m not denying any such thing. I’m stating a fact that you can’t argue. It’s simple and its true. Money in, money out, same money taxed both ways.

I’m not denying any such thing. I’m stating a fact that you can’t argue. It’s simple and its true. Money in, money out, same money taxed both ways.

So you don't deny you got a tax deduction for the money, but you're still trying to argue it's taxed twice.

Interesting approach.

Maybe not to you but it makes a lot of sense to me. You would come out a lot better that way. Why would you be against this??

I would come out a lot better if they didn't tax me at all, but the country would suck if we didn't pay taxes.

Seems you really struggle with the bigger picture.

So you don't deny you got a tax deduction for the money, but you're still trying to argue it's taxed twice.

Interesting approach.
I’m saying I should be able to pay it back with pre tax money as long as I don’t exceed the limit each year so I’ll only be taxed once like it was set up to be. That’s all

I would come out a lot better if they didn't tax me at all, but the country would suck if we didn't pay taxes.

Have you looked around lately? The country does suck. No amount of spending or taxes can fix what’s going on in this dumpster fire we have now.

No, you are arguing repayment only.

You are completely leaving out the fact that you deducted it from your income when you put it in, and you didn't pay any taxes when you pulled it out.
it’s a loan not a withdrawal. No taxes should be taken. Argue that point

Unless you go over the limit you should be able to put all you want in your 401k. Either saving or paying a loan back. After all it’s your money and up to the limit it should be your choice. You are allowed 19000- 26000 per year. I can put as much as I want up to that limit. So why can’t that be loan payment or savings???

it’s a loan not a withdrawal. No taxes should be taken. Argue that point

No, the money actually comes out of your 401k. The balance drops by the amount of the loan and you get a check. Stop making the payments, and you pay income tax on it and pay the 10% penalty, just like you pulled the money out.

I’m saying I should be able to pay it back with pre tax money as long as I don’t exceed the limit each year so I’ll only be taxed once like it was set up to be. That’s all

Then you wouldn't be able to deduct any of the money you normally put into your 401k, and your max loan about would be $19,500.

Terrible idea.

No, the money actually comes out of your 401k. The balance drops by the amount of the loan and you get a check. Stop making the payments, and you pay income tax on it and pay the 10% penalty, just like you pulled the money out.
Yeah I know the rules. I’m saying you should be able to put it back pre tax if you stay under the cap.

Then you wouldn't be able to deduct any of the money you normally put into your 401k, and your max loan about would be $19,500.

Terrible idea.
Wrong. You have 5 years to pay back the loan. So that would be a max loan of 97,500. No one should need that much unless you just suck at life in general but it would work if you did.

Last edited:
You could deduct it all. Loan payment and savings up to 19500 or 26000 if your over 55

No you wouldn't. Your cap would be reached paying back the loan money that you've already deducted once. None of your current year's income would be deductible.

Anyway, none of this matters. It's a shell game, and it has nothing to do with double taxing on a loan.

No you wouldn't. Your cap would be reached paying back the loan money that you've already deducted once. None of your current year's income would be deductible.

Anyway, none of this matters. It's a shell game, and it has nothing to do with double taxing on a loan.
Sure it would. I maxed out my cap the last two years with contributions but that’s only because I’m retiring this year and didn’t need any income. 19,500-26,000 per year is a lot. Most only put in 6-15% so there is plenty of room to both pay a loan and contribute without coming close to the cap. SEP’s have and even higher cap of 58k per year or 25% of your income so there’s always a way if you have a business on the side.

You mean so you’ll get a tax deduction twice for the same money?

You keep ignoring the fact when you repay a loan you’re not adding any new money into your account outside of the interest. You’re just replacing the money you took out.

I’m laughing at the reverse. Imagine if the government argued they could tax your paycheck. Then they could tax it again when you withdrew it from the bank because it’s “different money”. But that’s what you’re arguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
N

You keep ignoring the fact when you repay a loan you’re not adding any new money into your account outside of the interest. You’re just replacing the money you took out.

I’m laughing at the reverse. Imagine if the government argued they could tax your paycheck. Then they could tax it again when you withdrew it from the back because it’s “different money”. But that’s what you’re arguing.
Nope. I’m arguing that I am entitled to 19500-26000 Per Year for my 401k. I’m not withdrawing anything I’m taking a loan out and replacing it. So how I use my allotted 401k contribution should not matter.

I’m laughing at the reverse. Imagine if the government argued they could tax your paycheck. Then they could tax it again when you withdrew it from the back because it’s “different money”. But that’s what you’re arguing.
Oh and btw the government does tax your money over and over many times. When you get paid, when you spend it, when you buy property they tax it each and every year, that never ends. Your money gets hammered every time you reach for it after it’s been taxed from your paycheck. So that argument is moot.

Sure it would. I maxed out my cap the last two years with contributions but that’s only because I’m retiring this year and didn’t need any income. 19,500-26,000 per year is a lot. Most only put in 6-15% so there is plenty of room to both pay a loan and contribute without coming close to the cap. SEP’s have and even higher cap of 58k per year or 25% of your income so there’s always a way if you have a business on the side.

I always max out my 401k. Under your plan, I would never be able to take out a loan without double taxation, even though it isn't because I've already received the deduction for that money. All consumption loans are paid with after tax money, no matter the source. Doesn't matter that it's going back into your 401k where it came from. You still got the deduction initially, and you still only pay taxes on it when you retire.

I always max out my 401k. Under your plan, I would never be able to take out a loan without double taxation, even though it isn't because I've already received the deduction for that money. All consumption loans are paid with after tax money, no matter the source. Doesn't matter that it's going back into your 401k where it came from. You still got the deduction initially, and you still only pay taxes on it when you retire.

I’m just dying imagining a world where I could just max out my 401k with a loan from my 401k every year.

It would be free money every year.

If you take a distribution from a 401k, you pay tax on that plus a penalty for early withdrawal. Loans are not the same thing. The money you take out for a loan is not taxed.

Dad used to look at sticker price. Then he would wait for a salesman to approach him and hand him a business card with the price he was willing to pay for vehicle. Of course he had already done his research. He purchased many vehicles this way. Dad had a lot of experience in buying company cars. You would be surprised home many times salesman ended up calling back and selling for price on back of business card. Now of course price was in reason and nothing outrageous low!

Reactions: robertfootball
Be careful taking a loan against your 401k. Your paying DOUBLE taxes on what you borrow. You’d be much better off taking money from anywhere else but there. The government loves it when you do and that’s about all you need to know. Don’t do it.
Not I’m not for taking loans against your 401K unless things turned upside down and the rate was significantly better than what you could get on the open market as compared to the market return on your 401K. But, what do you mean “double taxed?” You are borrowing pre-tax dollars, paying with post-tax dollars (like any other loan), and the 401K doesn’t become taxable until retirement withdrawals - lust like all the 401K funds. The bad thing is if you default or must stop paying, then the loan becomes a a pre-retirement withdrawal subject to penalties and taxing at current income levels, which is the biggest risk.

Sounds like your living clean! Good for you. With that being said why would you need to borrow money? I always max out my 401k, Roth and SEP every year as does my wife. We haven’t borrowed money or paid a penny in interest since we built our first home in 87. Cash is king.

Nope. Bought my last several cars through the USAA car buying service. in an out of the dealer in 30 min with an tutorial of the features. Will never haggle with them again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT