ADVERTISEMENT

Do you still haggle on car prices?

Sounds like your living clean! Good for you. With that being said why would you need to borrow money? I always max out my 401k, Roth and SEP every year as does my wife. We haven’t borrowed money or paid a penny in interest since we built our first home in 87. Cash is king.
That makes no sense at all. Interest rates are 0% pretty much. Why would you not borrow free and invest yours? Dave Ramsey has ruined folks ability to think.

A minivan popped up on Autotrader yesterday and I was very interested in it...right year, mileage and price. It was listed without any photos, so I emailed to get some details on it. It was still in for state inspection and the salesman hadn't even seen the car yet and could not give me any specific information on it. Nevertheless, it sold within a few hours of being listed. Someone else bought it, sight unseen. I just can't bring myself to do that. I have to at least physically see a car before buying it. But that's the market up here. There are PLENTY of people willing to buy a car, no questions asked. You barely have time to see the vehicle in person, much less spend time haggling. I remember back when I bought a couple cars in SC, if I saw one I liked, I would plan to make time that weekend to go see it. Not sure what the market is like down there now, but up here, if I see one I like, it's a matter of taking immediate time off work...not even waiting until after work that same day.

Last edited:
Just bought my wife a Subaru Cross Trek. Very cool car. I haggle some but not like I used to in my younger days. I put a lot of cash down and made sure they didn't build points into the amount I did finance. That's where they used to get you. Hate these dealer surcharges but they all do it now.

A minivan popped up on Autotrader yesterday and I was very interested in it...right year, mileage and price. It was listed without any photos, so I emailed to get some details on it. It was still in for state inspection and the salesman hadn't even seen the car yet and could not give me any specific information on it. Nevertheless, it sold within a few hours of being listed. Someone else bought it, sight unseen. I just can't bring myself to do that. I have to at least physically see a car before buying it. But that's the market up here. There are PLENTY of people willing to buy a car, no questions asked. You barely have time to see the vehicle in person, much less spend time haggling. I remember back when I bought a couple cars in SC, if I saw one I liked, I would plan to make time that weekend to go see it. Not sure what the market is like down there now, but up here, if I see one I like, it's a matter of taking immediate time off work...not even waiting until after work that same day.
That’s the market everywhere right now. I’m waiting because if everyone’s buying a car now, they won’t be later and dealers will be desperate to sell. So many people are buying cars the past few months (past year really) that they won’t be in the market later this year or next year. Eventually the shortage will catch up with demand.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
Just bought my wife a Subaru Cross Trek. Very cool car. I haggle some but not like I used to in my younger days. I put a lot of cash down and made sure they didn't build points into the amount I did finance. That's where they used to get you. Hate these dealer surcharges but they all do it now.
Where they get you now is dealer fees (doc fees, etc) and addendum stickers. If I find a dealer that doesn’t have addendum stickers, they’ll have about an extra $800-$1200 in just dealer fees. If they don’t have ridiculous fees they’ll have $399-1295 addendum stickers on all their cars. And most won’t disclose this through email or over the phone when quoting you a price, you won’t know this until you get there and realize you’ve wasted your time.

That’s the market everywhere right now. I’m waiting because if everyone’s buying a car now, they won’t be later and dealers will be desperate to sell. So many people are buying cars the past few months (past year really) that they won’t be in the market later this year or next year. Eventually the shortage will catch up with demand.

Yeah, I’m pushing it as long as I can but baby #3 will be here in a couple of months. I guess I’m just old fashioned, but I’m not buying a car without seeing it in person and test driving it.

Yeah, I’m pushing it as long as I can but baby #3 will be here in a couple of months. I guess I’m just old fashioned, but I’m not buying a car without seeing it in person and test driving it.
You might have to travel out of state to get what you want.

Like Spardue, I'd suggest the online services, (Carguru, Autotrader, Cars.com etc.). ( Cargurus actually shows on their listings whether the price is average, good, great or overpriced). You're still gonna be buying from either a dealer or an individua,l but you can view a lot of cars in a short amount of time. Also, you can look further out from your area. Some free advice for what it's worth: (for used cars), If I were you I'd search a range of 200-300 or more from where you are and try to find something from down south. It's probably gonna get rusty being where you live but it would be much better to start out with a solid, rust free vehicle. And you can probably do some things to mitigate the rust that happens after you get it. On the other hand, if you want to buy cheap, anywhere in the rust belt you can buy the same car for probably 25-40% less. I've actually bought 2 cars from Florida on Ebay that I saved big on and both turned out fine. But, I'm a car guy, (lifelong auto tech, former shop owner and now auto tech teacher). I don't necessarily recommend Ebay unless you're knowledgeable enough to stay safe. Another thought: Carvana. I honestly haven't really even looked at their site but from the commercials it looks super easy, (don't know about pricing). They bring you your car on a rollback and pick up your trade in if applicable. And one final caveat; always look at the Carfax or AutoCheck report. Look for accident/salvage history, title problems and look at every state it been titled in and for how long. If you see a car that's spent some time in the rust belt, move on. Sorry for being wordy. Just trying to help.
Like Spardue, I'd suggest the online services, (Carguru, Autotrader, Cars.com etc.). ( Cargurus actually shows on their listings whether the price is average, good, great or overpriced). You're still gonna be buying from either a dealer or an individua,l but you can view a lot of cars in a short amount of time. Also, you can look further out from your area. Some free advice for what it's worth: (for used cars), If I were you I'd search a range of 200-300 or more from where you are and try to find something from down south. It's probably gonna get rusty being where you live but it would be much better to start out with a solid, rust free vehicle. And you can probably do some things to mitigate the rust that happens after you get it. On the other hand, if you want to buy cheap, anywhere in the rust belt you can buy the same car for probably 25-40% less. I've actually bought 2 cars from Florida on Ebay that I saved big on and both turned out fine. But, I'm a car guy, (lifelong auto tech, former shop owner and now auto tech teacher). I don't necessarily recommend Ebay unless you're knowledgeable enough to stay safe. Another thought: Carvana. I honestly haven't really even looked at their site but from the commercials it looks super easy, (don't know about pricing). They bring you your car on a rollback and pick up your trade in if applicable. And one final caveat; always look at the Carfax or AutoCheck report. Look for accident/salvage history, title problems and look at every state it been titled in and for how long. If you see a car that's spent some time in the rust belt, move on. Sorry for being wordy. Just trying to help.
I have used AAA’s car buying service 3 times on both new and used. They get fleet pricing and charge around $300 above that as their profit. They also arrange financing with their banks if you need that. No hassle, no haggle and they deliver in NC and SC. They also will handle trade ins.

Where they get you now is dealer fees (doc fees, etc) and addendum stickers. If I find a dealer that doesn’t have addendum stickers, they’ll have about an extra $800-$1200 in just dealer fees. If they don’t have ridiculous fees they’ll have $399-1295 addendum stickers on all their cars. And most won’t disclose this through email or over the phone when quoting you a price, you won’t know this until you get there and realize you’ve wasted your time.

What is an addendum sticker? Never heard of it, and curious to learn.

Reactions: cocks rule
What is an addendum sticker? Never heard of it, and curious to learn.
It’s an additional cost sticker that will appear next to the MSRP sticker on new cars. It’ll be additional cost such as pin striping, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection, interior protection, wheel locks, etc. Worthless stuff that’s highly inflated. They’re the devil to get the dealer to take them off too, so what I do is demand the difference in my trade to make up for it.

It’s an additional cost sticker that will appear next to the MSRP sticker on new cars. It’ll be additional cost such as pin striping, nitrogen filled tires, paint protection, interior protection, wheel locks, etc. Worthless stuff that’s highly inflated. They’re the devil to get the dealer to take them off too, so what I do is demand the difference in my trade to make up for it.
Stuff that makes me glad I only buy used from individuals. Lol

Reactions: robertfootball
Stuff that makes me glad I only buy used from individuals. Lol

Dang, do individuals still sell? I’ve been keeping an eye out for months and the only private sales I’ve seen are for cars that are 10 years+ old and crazy high miles.

Dang, do individuals still sell? I’ve been keeping an eye out for months and the only private sales I’ve seen are for cars that are 10 years+ old and crazy high miles.
Oh yes, Every day. I buy and sell all my vehicles strictly on Craigslist. Works perfectly for me. Just bought a 2016 Jeep Wrangler last week.

Yeah I swear everyone drives 30,000 miles a year! You aren’t kidding. I have 15,000 listed on my insurance but I usually average 12000-13000 per year.

What I hate is all the extra charges they try to add on to the price. The last time I bought a used truck (just for hunting and fishing) I wrote the check and signed it BEFORE I walked into the dealership for the exact amount I was willing to pay. After I went for the test drive and checked it out I presented the salesman with the check. He said there would be some added costs. I said "no there won't"! I said either take the check or give it back and I'll go somewhere else. He went back to his manager several times and always came back with a different offer. He would say, "but it's only X amount more. Are you going to leave over that? I said, "but I've already written the check for the amount you advertised and I'm not writing another one". He finally took the check. They aren't going to let you leave with payment in hand.

I can't say that it is not essential for me, but from my life experience, I can tell you that you should care less about what is happening around you and think more about yourself. I recently bought myself a new Chevy Suburban, and you have no idea how happy I am now. The idea is that I decided to buy it in less than 30 minutes. Last week I found an article about this car on https://enginert.com/, and I fell in love with it.

Last edited:
I’ve decided to put the car search on hold. We’ll just suck it up and make do with what we have for a few months. Just can’t bring myself to pay the inflated prices right now. Gonna roll the dice that the situation will improve by early next year.

A 401K loan is not taxed twice & not everyone is eligible for Roth IRA. You can do the backdoor deal but it can get very complicated in certain situations and any earnings moved from a traditional IRA will be taxed at the time of the conversion. Depending on the timing of the conversion, it can also result in a substantial tax bill that will become due in the year of the conversion.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCocksFight2021
That makes no sense at all. Interest rates are 0% pretty much. Why would you not borrow free and invest yours? Dave Ramsey has ruined folks ability to think.
Yep like when he advises people to pay off their lowest balance loan 1st rather than the highest interest rate loan. That makes no mathematical sense. If you simply want to check a box then go for it I guess, just know that it will cost you more in the aggregate.

I’ve decided to put the car search on hold. We’ll just suck it up and make do with what we have for a few months. Just can’t bring myself to pay the inflated prices right now. Gonna roll the dice that the situation will improve by early next year.
Smart move, I’m doing the same. I suspect they will try to raise prices of 2022 models but they’ll be sitting on them. The people that were in the market have already bought their new car, then you take the mad rush of people cashing in on the inflated trade prices. They’re also out of the market next year. I’ve read several articles of manufacturers will not be stocking dealerships as much as they have in the past even after things start to calm down. I dunno, I just think a hard crash is coming to the auto industry. Maybe not a crash but a strong correction.

The best minivan ever made?

2022-kia-carnival-004.jpg
What is that? Deshaun Watson’s rolling massage parlor?

A 401K loan is not taxed twice & not everyone is eligible for Roth IRA. You can do the backdoor deal but it can get very complicated in certain situations and any earnings moved from a traditional IRA will be taxed at the time of the conversion. Depending on the timing of the conversion, it can also result in a substantial tax bill that will become due in the year of the conversion.

LOL. I don't remember who it was, but I literally had a 50+ post back and forth with someone on here trying to convince them that a 401K loan was not taxed twice. I don't think I was successful.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Smart move, I’m doing the same. I suspect they will try to raise prices of 2022 models but they’ll be sitting on them. The people that were in the market have already bought their new car, then you take the mad rush of people cashing in on the inflated trade prices. They’re also out of the market next year. I’ve read several articles of manufacturers will not be stocking dealerships as much as they have in the past even after things start to calm down. I dunno, I just think a hard crash is coming to the auto industry. Maybe not a crash but a strong correction.

Yep, too many people running around snatching up cars sight unseen and driving the market up. I'm not gonna panic buy

LOL. I don't remember who it was, but I literally had a 50+ post back and forth with someone on here trying to convince them that a 401K loan was not taxed twice. I don't think I was successful.

My favorite part of that exchange was that what he really wanted was the tax deduction twice.

Yep like when he advises people to pay off their lowest balance loan 1st rather than the highest interest rate loan. That makes no mathematical sense. If you simply want to check a box then go for it I guess, just know that it will cost you more in the aggregate.
The collective data from his research supports that his recommendations work. That doesn't mean that other methods won't work, too, but one can't dispute his results.

I am paying full MSRP for the first time ever. I am haggling over the cost of paint protective film in the conciliation game....

Man, I don’t even know you, but you’re better than this. My saying, friends don’t let friends pay retail.

I tend to agree, but actually had a conversation with a neighbor that sells cars and he said he wouldn't buy right now because they won't let anything go for less than sticker price. He says they don't have to because demand is so high and he turns people away every day if they're looking to negotiate.

I tend to agree, but actually had a conversation with a neighbor that sells cars and he said he wouldn't buy right now because they won't let anything go for less than sticker price. He says they don't have to because demand is so high and he turns people away every day if they're looking to negotiate.
I’m hearing the same. I want a new f150 and I’m getting great offers for my truck but I just can’t pay full sticker price for a truck, even with the good trade in offers. I think if you can wait that’s going to be beneficial in the long run.

Yep, seems to be that way everywhere now. It's always kind of that way in the DMV area, but worse now. Folks are buying cars sight unseen. Several used ones have been listed, without photos even available yet, and when I call to ask about the car, someone else has already bought it. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I'm not gonna buy a car without seeing it in person.

I always haggle. Family and friends have sought my help because of my haggling reputation. I've been thrown out of one dealership. But I've always paid less than what the business manager says is there rock bottom. Have saved people thousands. But I must admit, I'm getting a little old to enjoy the song and dance. And I do feel bad for the salesmen I get. And with dealer volume bonuses and so forth, the invoice doesn't really tell the whole story. And I'll tell where I am seeing the profit hidden these days. It's in the inflated destination charges, dealer prep and paper handling fees. I'd like to see the day when I can skip the dealer and order straight from the factory.
You can order directly from the manufacturer, it’s called Tesla.

Man, I don’t even know you, but you’re better than this. My saying, friends don’t let friends pay retail.
It is a special order car and I got the only one. I am lucky to not be paying $20K in ADM which happens at many Porsche dealers with this car. But I did get the full track pack paint protection for the cost of regular full frontal protection. So I saved $700...

Just heard him do an interview with Ben Shapiro this week and Shapiro asked him specifically about this. Ramsey called it "mathematical heresy" to pay off lower interest loans before higher interest ones. However, as he noted, for virtually all people stuck in debt, it's not a math problem. It's a human nature problem. If someone has a low interest $300 debt and an high interest $10,000 debt, conventional math wisdom says to go after the high interest one. However, the math ONLY applies if you're disciplined, which you probably are not if you have racked multiple debts you're trying to pay off. Human nature being what it is, if you start chipping away at the $10,000 debt at $150/month, you're gonna get your monthly statements and feel like you're not making progress. Those folks who are in this kind of situation are most often likely going to get discouraged and end up fizzling out. On the other hand, if they go after the $300 debt and after a couple months or they see that debt fall off their ledger, it puts a little pep in their step to then go after maybe that $1,000 debt and so on. It's all about giving people small victories to encourage them to keep going.

So, yeah, he freely acknowledges his approach is not based in math, but he's correct in noting that it's not a math problem. And it very obviously is not. The people who rack up multiple credit card debts and other similar debts are not thinking mathematically in the first place. Ramsey's approach is simply taking the fastest approach to helping people get of debt. Obviously the best approach would be to force people to think mathematically and be disciplined to just regularly pay down the higher interest debts, but he's obviously found over the years that it most often just doesn't work for most people in that situation.

If you're someone who understands that it doesn't make mathematical sense to pay off the lower interest rate debt first, then you're probably not someone who's found yourself buried under multiple debts in the first place and so it's not applicable to you.

Yep, full MSRP now. No incentives. Salesmen can't make any bank right now with the inventory this low. I also noticed the absence of the obnoxious radio ads that normally pollute classic rock stations. This is not only bad for dealers and mfrs, but the entire supplier industry suffers as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT