ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think ALL fan bases.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Even those with less potential than we have. Think their school is one good coach, one great player away from turning the corner and becoming a great program? With an over 100 year sample size it’s painfully obvious what our place in the pecking order appears to be. But we are always thinking “if we can just get _ _ _ _ “ we will be on our way. Why do we all seemingly think this (year after year) and do you think all other schools fan bases do the same?

Even those with less potential than we have. Think their school is one good coach, one great player away from turning the corner and becoming a great program? With an over 100 year sample size it’s painfully obvious what our place in the pecking order appears to be. But we are always thinking “if we can just get _ _ _ _ “ we will be on our way. Why do we all seemingly think this (year after year) and do you think all other schools fan bases do the same?

We have had three coaches who haven't on national championships elsewhere

Oregon was middling to bad for almost 100 years. They hire Rich Brooks who gave them stability. Then Mike Bellotti who turned them into a national power. Then Chip Kelly who put them into the national championship game.

Had you told someone in 1999 that Oregon would have played in two national title games in the 2000s, few would have believed you. Hire great coaches. Build great facilities.

We definitely feel that the next QB coming in will be the ONE. Brandon Mclwain, Dekerion Joyner, Ryan Hilinski and may more before them. I have yet to see a good QB under a Muschamp led team.

I think in almost every school's situation it takes the right factors being in place. It starts with university leadership. I don't mean the athletic department, I mean the entire university...whoever is the final say on decisions/policy. Whether its the university president, or some billionaire on the board of trustees, the power in place has to be willing to do what it takes to win. That means he has to help maximize funding for football, has to spearhead making sure facilities are state-of-the-art, and has to make sure the people in charge of athletics and the football team are willing to do the same.
The AD has to be a guy who understands the business side of his job. He has to not only handle his business, but also has to make arrangements to make sure the coaches have everything they need: recruiting budget, money to pay the coaches, trainers, and analysts you want, facilities, etc. You have to have the right coach, who knows how to get the right coaches, the right recruits, and can run the program. You have to have boosters with access to, and the willingness to spend, the money to fund it all.
I don't think we have ever had more than 3 of these in place at the same time. I do know that Harris Pastides is retiring in July, so some of the equation will be completely open.

Partial Resume of Matt Campbell: Iowa State University

Toledo promoted Campbell to offensive coordinator in 2010. Toledo made Campbell the permanent head coach at the end of 2011 when Beckman departed for the University of Illinois. He was 32 years old and the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision.[8] Two weeks into the job, Toledo defeated Air Force in the Military Bowl.[2] Reportedly Campbell passed on a chance to serve on Urban Meyer's staff at The Ohio State University.[9] Campbell coached four full seasons at Toledo: 2012–2015, amassing a record of 35–15.[4] The 2015 team peaked at No. 20 in the AP Poll, including a victory over Arkansas.[9]
Iowa State University named Campbell its head coach on November 29, 2015, his 36th birthday, replacing the fired Paul Rhoads. Iowa State Cyclones head coach Matt Campbell signed a six-year, $22.5 million extension with the school on November 27th 2017.[10] On November 30th, 2017, Campbell was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year.
Last year, in his second year at ISU, his team knocked off Oklahoma University (with Baker Mayfield). This year, ISU knocked off previously unbeaten West Virginia this past Saturday.

He was successful at Toledo University and so far has done very well for himself with "one of those schools" that has never done anything much in football (everyone knows about the Iowa Hawkeyes though). So I have said it before and will say it again. Coaching is the number one key to success. Now if your current leader was not successful as a CEO with a major company and stock prices fell to an all-time low under his watch, would you want this guy hired to run your company? Well, that is what we did here. Remember that saying about continuing to do the same things while expecting different results? And the hits just keep on coming.

Reactions: ddw1263
That could be realistic in basketball, not so much with football.

I’m not sure about other fanbases but I think most Gamecocks who have been fans for years know the reality of this program, but we still hold out hope. Unfortunately it takes more than just saying we are going to commit to winning. Have to get some luck. Have to have some things go your way. It is very difficult to do that in this conference with so many programs with rich history and tradition. An in-state school with 2 national titles (that had some luck and the breaks but also was primed to breakout).

I love my Alma Mater...but I can’t say if my son had offers from SC, Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc...I’m trying to convince him to go to SC. I just don’t believe that’s the best decision for him. We gotta hit the jackpot with some guys somehow. We need to send more players to the NFL. But even when we do that, that will only put us on a level playing field with the Bamas, Florida’s, Georgia’s, etc of the SEC and College Football. I love us, but we just fall into a tough spot when it comes to college football.

Clemson was mediocre for 30 years, but still had way more going for them than anyone in the ACC outside of FSU as far as fan support and facilities. That was huge for them. Not the case for us. We have good fans and good facilities. But so does everyone else we have to compete against besides a couple of schools.

I’m not sure about other fanbases but I think most Gamecocks who have been fans for years know the reality of this program, but we still hold out hope. Unfortunately it takes more than just saying we are going to commit to winning. Have to get some luck. Have to have some things go your way. It is very difficult to do that in this conference with so many programs with rich history and tradition. An in-state school with 2 national titles (that had some luck and the breaks but also was primed to breakout).

I love my Alma Mater...but I can’t say if my son had offers from SC, Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, etc...I’m trying to convince him to go to SC. I just don’t believe that’s the best decision for him. We gotta hit the jackpot with some guys somehow. We need to send more players to the NFL. But even when we do that, that will only put us on a level playing field with the Bamas, Florida’s, Georgia’s, etc of the SEC and College Football. I love us, but we just fall into a tough spot when it comes to college football.

Clemson was mediocre for 30 years, but still had way more going for them than anyone in the ACC outside of FSU as far as fan support and facilities. That was huge for them. Not the case for us. We have good fans and good facilities. But so does everyone else we have to compete against besides a couple of schools.

Good post^^

I said it when we hired him in 2004. If SOS can't do it here, no one will. We simply need to accept the lot that has been given us as Gamecocks.
And those 3 11-wins seasons were in hindsight, perhaps the worst thing to happen for the psyche of us Gamecocks. We got the notion that we were elite - that we had arrived. And yet - sigh - here we are. We expect the success of that 3yr run, and when it doesn't come to fruition, its maddening.....because we think we are supposed to be in that position every year now.

Last edited:
18-year old recruits do not care about the past 100 years. Georgia Tech and Army used to be powerhouses. Oregon and Florida State and Florida and Miami were nothing special until the 80s and 90s. it just doesn't matter.

The real problem is the culture, not our history. This good ole boy bullshit makes me insane. No more friends and family hires for coaches or Athletic Directors. This is a 100 million dollar business, not a place to bring back your buddies or promote and see how it goes. This isn't a place to coach a few years and hand off to your son. I would ask why our AD tolerates this cronyism and nepotism, but let's be clear--he's a product of it.

It's not the 11 win seasons that everyone is missing, it's the going into any game knowing you had a chance because of the man on the sidelines. I go into games now thinking "how will Muschamp snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?". I remember beating #8 Kentucky, beating #3 Ole Miss, beating Clemson and then playing Houston in the Liberty Bowl and winning, I remember 2009 when we slapped Clemson's ACC championship team upside the head. Some of the most memorable games happened outside of those 11 win seasons.

It's not the 11 win seasons that everyone is missing, it's the going into any game knowing you had a chance because of the man on the sidelines. I go into games now thinking "how will Muschamp snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?". I remember beating #8 Kentucky, beating #3 Ole Miss, beating Clemson and then playing Houston in the Liberty Bowl and winning, I remember 2009 when we slapped Clemson's ACC division championship team upside the head. Some of the most memorable games happened outside of those 11 win seasons.

FIFY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT