ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think U of SC will be pressured to change our nickname, The Gamecocks? Link below!

If they cave and change the name I'm done. I love the Gamecocks but I'll lose all respect for the university if they do that. I've already lost most of my respect for the athletic dept with the on the field/court/diamond results recently, so it won't take much.

First of all, I want cock fighting to be dealt with VERY HARSHLY. But, I'm afraid pressure might be added to change our nickname. But there are a lot of schools with the name Bulldogs and as we know there are dog fights, too. I HATE THOSE PEOPLE WHO ABUSE INNOCENT ANIMALS!

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/op...c8b88c618d.html#tncms-source=block-contextual

I think we need to change it to Cocks!

Back in 1980 when we played Michigan in Ann Arbor. A bunch of us were yelling "Go Cocks!"before the game. One of the Michigan fans turned to us and said.. "Do you mind? I have my children sitting with us..."

PETA has literally been after us for years to change our mascot. They even had a few NUTS dress up like animals, and placed themselves in cages about ten years ago around Columbia. The SCREAMING, PROTESTING, MINORITY are getting major coverage by the MSM. A bunch of fruitcakes imo.

Whether it was named for Sumter or fighting gamecocks, leave it alone. We just don't need to rethink everything from past history.
Well, that's kinda the point. Naming our mascot after Revolutionary War hero (not even a Civil War figure) is pretty clear that we're not glorifying cockfighting or animal cruelty in any way. Anyone that says different is obviously too lazy to do their research.

I am sure someone out in the land of victimhood will find a reason why the name offends them. And with the total cowardice of leadership on most college campuses today, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they would change the name instead of risking their woke status by not bowing to the offended.

Is it possible a few individuals will ask for a name change, Yes it's possible.
Will there be a HUGE groundswell that goes national to bring pressure to change the Gamecock name. I find that highly doubtful.

More to the point, how long will Sumter county and city, SC keep its name?
It could keep it's name in perpetuity as long as it officially identified itself with some person named Sumter - from a different family - who had none of the odious aspects of the current namesake. Nothing would need to change its name using that approach. Finding another Clemson might prove more difficult.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Well, that's kinda the point. Naming our mascot after Revolutionary War hero (not even a Civil War figure) is pretty clear that we're not glorifying cockfighting or animal cruelty in any way. Anyone that says different is obviously too lazy to do their research.

It doesn't help, though, that our lgoo is a rooster sporting spurs.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid to go about renaming everything, but it's impossible to say there's no connection between our name and cockfighting.

Cocky doesn't actually spurs, but the Gamecock logo does. Take the spurs off, though, and it's just a chicken.

Besides all that, if you try to dodge the PETA folks by linking the name Gamecock to Thomas Sumter, you then put yourself in the cross hairs of the other social justice groups b/c Sumter was a slave owner.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid to go about renaming everything, but it's impossible to say there's no connection between our name and cockfighting.

Cocky doesn't actually spurs, but the Gamecock logo does. Take the spurs off, though, and it's just a chicken.

Besides all that, if you try to dodge the PETA folks by linking the name Gamecock to Thomas Sumter, you then put yourself in the cross hairs of the other social justice groups b/c Sumter was a slave owner.
Fair points. I honestly believe the only thing we may have to address or maybe change is the actual spurs. Everything else is a stretch.

After all, most mascots are chosen because they're fierce. Don't lions and tigers and bears (Oh my!) maul people to death every year? Didn't an alligator kill a poor little kid in Disney World a few years back? No one's going after any of them to change their names.

The Redskins are a whole different story. Despite what some say, Native Americans have protested that name as a racial slur for decades. While the Indians and Braves and others have received varying degrees of negative attention, none have consistently drawn the ire of Native Americans like the Redskins.

I honestly think we'll be fine.

Whether it was named for Sumter or fighting gamecocks, leave it alone. We just don't need to rethink everything from past history.

I would agree with you 100% but that woke bunch are the ones I'm worried about trying to cause trouble.

Last edited:
U of SC offends me. I graduated from USC. I won’t give them any more money, especially since they continue to lose money on the scholarship endowment.

Fair points. I honestly believe the only thing we may have to address or maybe change is the actual spurs. Everything else is a stretch.

After all, most mascots are chosen because they're fierce. Don't lions and tigers and bears (Oh my!) maul people to death every year? Didn't an alligator kill a poor little kid in Disney World a few years back? No one's going after any of them to change their names.

The Redskins are a whole different story. Despite what some say, Native Americans have protested that name as a racial slur for decades. While the Indians and Braves and others have received varying degrees of negative attention, none have consistently drawn the ire of Native Americans like the Redskins.

I honestly think we'll be fine.
That would be a pity. We need a new identity.

Yes he does. On the back of the leggings, as do the artist renderings of him.

That would be a pity. We need a new identity.
Disagree totally. While our athletic history is average to below , I love the unique name of “Fighting Gamecocks” along with school colors. We need to retain this. A change in mascot will not improve our performance on the field. Bigger changes than this are needed imo

First of all, I want cock fighting to be dealt with VERY HARSHLY. But, I'm afraid pressure might be added to change our nickname. But there are a lot of schools with the name Bulldogs and as we know there are dog fights, too. I HATE THOSE PEOPLE WHO ABUSE INNOCENT ANIMALS!

https://www.johnsoncitypress.com/op...c8b88c618d.html#tncms-source=block-contextual

I think those chickens are victims. They have no chance even if they win a few times. Kinda does remind me of us playing in the SEC. LOL

Reactions: agantt
Disagree totally. While our athletic history is average to below , I love the unique name of “Fighting Gamecocks” along with school colors. We need to retain this. A change in mascot will not improve our performance on the field. Bigger changes than this are needed imo
It might be that better people will want to come coach or play for a team that isn't a flock of chickens.

Reactions: agantt
Let's try to end this discussion right here.
If Ole Miss is still keeping its nickname Rebels, why is anyone worrying about USC losing its nickname Gamecocks.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Is it possible a few individuals will ask for a name change, Yes it's possible.
Will there be a HUGE groundswell that goes national to bring pressure to change the Gamecock name. I find that highly doubtful.
But right now, that's the scary part. Governments, companies, and institutions are falling all over themselves capitulating to the extreme (in both ideal and size - size, being small) voices. Any non-conservative person right now can scream, and cancel-culture is immediately and swiftly launched.
I'm with you; I doubt it comes to that with Gamecocks, but right now, would it really be shocking?

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT