ADVERTISEMENT

Do you think we are closing the gap?

IrmoRed

Nov 15, 2014
The poll on Sportstalk.
Clemson related....when mentioned on air, the percentages went from 62percent Carolina to the lowly numbers you will see now.
They're worried!

We need to focus on us for now and hope Dabo quits, gets another job, or gets exposed in a massive reputation-destroying scandal soon :D
I don't want him to quit, I want his house of cards to collapse and lose everything.

All it would take is for him to shoot off that mouth to the wrong recruit and that recruit come forward with it... Game over.

Losing Robbie Caldwell and venebles would work too.

Right now they are recruiting on a national contending level. We are scraping the top 25 level. Things have to change eventually.

The gap was not a gap, but a gaping chasm. It will continue to close, albeit gradually, with a coaching staff that seems to give a crap.

Reactions: king ward
The gap was not a gap, but a gaping chasm. It will continue to close, albeit gradually, with a coaching staff that seems to give a crap.
How long would it have taken the old Washington Senators to win the World Series? I'm not talking about the Minnesota Twins, now.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpcocks
We're getting better, but still lack depth. Without the injuries or with more quality depth, I think we would have won vs A&M. KY was a bad loss, but KY is a pretty good team. I think we realistically have a chance to win eight games maybe nine if we are lucky. We'll see how we finish, but we are 1-2 W's further along than I thought we would be at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: pettyw
If you are asking about the gap between our fellow SEC opponents, we are doing ok but have a ways to go. If you are asking about the team in the upstate we aren't in the same class right now. They are recruiting nationally with kids at have Bama, Georgia, LSU, Ohio St, etc as offers. And they are getting their fair share. Not to mention another #1 QB in the nation and he looks like a damn stud. 6'6" 215 lbs and just broke Watson's passing yards and Touchdown record in Georgia. SMH

Reactions: king ward
Yes, a little.

But Clemson got better than SC by recruiting five star players and hiring a great staff.

Gaps are often illusory, ephemeral things that can open and close in the blink of an eye. Mere cosmic dust, really.

Shamalamadingdong.

We're better (though we had room for improvement and still do). They're less good (they won a natty). In that sense, the gap has narrowed. But then, it better get closer or BOOM! is failing. I don't think he's failing.

During our win streak against them we had the trenches especially DLine and they had the fancy playmakers which let them win when the ACC was really down but we took care of them...the tables has turned where we have the flash playmakers we just need to keep recruiting the trenches.

Reactions: AngloCock
We're better (though we had room for improvement and still do). They're less good (they won a natty). In that sense, the gap has narrowed. But then, it better get closer or BOOM! is failing. I don't think he's failing.

Our fans just have to give him time. Many think that we are "entitled" to 9-10-11 wins each season. Not sure why they think so when we've only had 3 11-win seasons in 125 years.

Our fans just have to give him time. Many think that we are "entitled" to 9-10-11 wins each season. Not sure why they think so when we've only had 3 11-win seasons in 125 years.
Since joining the SEC we’ve had two 8 win seasons and two 9 win season other than the 3 11 win seasons...if we just win the games we’re favored and a bowl win that’s 8 wins at this point which will put it at one of the top 10 seasons (based on wins) in the last 25 years...put that into perspective

Reactions: 92Pony
We're getting better, but still lack depth. Without the injuries or with more quality depth, I think we would have won vs A&M. KY was a bad loss, but KY is a pretty good team. I think we realistically have a chance to win eight games maybe nine if we are lucky. We'll see how we finish, but we are 1-2 W's further along than I thought we would be at this point.
We could have won aTm if Champ had not tried to fix an O that was working and up 10.
HC and OC killed us in that one.

Since joining the SEC we’ve had two 8 win seasons and two 9 win season other than the 3 11 win seasons...if we just win the games we’re favored a bowl win that’s 8 at this point which will put one of the top 10 seasons (based on wins) in the last 25 years...put that into perspective
That's still only 7 total seasons out of 25 (or 125). Still no reason to feel like we should be automatically putting up 9-10-11 wins each and every season.

And right now we only know that we will be favored in 2 remaining games - Saturday and Wofford. UF is still up in the air.

That's still only 7 total seasons out of 25 (or 125). Still no reason to feel like we should be automatically putting up 9-10-11 wins each and every season.

And right now we only know that we will be favored in 2 remaining games - Saturday and Wofford. UF is still up in the air.
Yeah I was agreeing with you about not saying we should be winning 10 games a year every year and my 8 win total for this year only includes Wofford and Vandy which were favored plus a bowl win. I’m glad we have the expectation to not settle for just a bowl but we have to be realistic to our history and year two of a new coach we’re not winning any championships.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Yeah I was agreeing with you about not saying we should be winning 10 games a year every year and my 8 win total for this year only includes Wofford and Vandy which were favored plus a bowl win. I’m glad we have the expectation to not settle for just a bowl but we have to be realistic to our history and year two of a new coach we’re not winning any championships.
Gotcha. I'm with you on this. At the beginning of the season I said 7 wins, plus a bowl win, would be an improvement over last season. Still very doable.

During our win streak against them we had the trenches especially DLine and they had the fancy playmakers which let them win when the ACC was really down but we took care of them...the tables has turned where we have the flash playmakers we just need to keep recruiting the trenches.

They have both

I don't have unrealistic expectations, hell I think we've been playing above our talent and coaching to be 5-2 right now. We peaked too soon. If we had one of those 11 win teams right now we would be winning the SEC East. Of course with the exception of Georgia, that's not saying a whole lot.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Georgia got another 5-star back for next years class. Now they have the number 1and 3 backs.
Amazing how they can sell half a football better than we can sell a whole one.

The poll on Sportstalk.
Clemson related....when mentioned on air, the percentages went from 62percent Carolina to the lowly numbers you will see now.
They're worried!

We have to finish with everyone we have left on our target list. If we can get to 8 wins and stay in the games against UGA and clempson, then the answer would be "yes" purely because it means we coached up players with less talent than the 3-9 team spurrier dumped on us. UGA and cu are not going to back up in recruiting, so we need to creep up into top 10 once every 3 cycles.

Does not mean we can't beat them anytime. Why does Michigan, UF, FSU, LSU etc blow it every year despite recruiting better than most according to the star gazers.

We have to finish with everyone we have left on our target list. If we can get to 8 wins and stay in the games against UGA and clempson, then the answer would be "yes" purely because it means we coached up players with less talent than the 3-9 team spurrier dumped on us. UGA and cu are not going to back up in recruiting, so we need to creep up into top 10 once every 3 cycles.

Does not mean we can't beat them anytime. Why does Michigan, UF, FSU, LSU etc blow it every year despite recruiting better than most according to the star gazers.

Was hoping for top 10 this year. Not happening. Missed on big d line prospects especially. Meh.

The poll on Sportstalk.
They're worried!
The poll on Sportstalk.
They're worried!

Not at the present. In the recruiting world if your getting classes in the 20-25 range and your rivals like Clemsux and UGA are getting top 5-6 classes then no the gap will not be closed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT