ADVERTISEMENT

Do you want us to win the UK game?

MIghtee

Aug 9, 2019
Talked to a friend of mine today who genuinely does not want us to win the UK game, his rationale being that we essentially need to burn things down to get rid of Muschamp. He fears a win in this game will placate enough people for the anti-Muschamp fervor to die down. Throw in win possible wins over Vandy and App State and that gets us to 4 wins, which he thinks saves Champ's job. He wants things to get bad enough where the decision is taken out of Ray's hands.

Now, I have a very difficult time getting to the point in my mind where I actually don't want us to win a game, but I guess I do somewhat see his logic. What good is it to win if that win helps preserve the job of a coach who ultimately can't get the job done? I guess he also realizes a bowl is out the window this year, with or without a UK win, so it's not essential from that perspective any longer.

So, I dunno. I'm definitely not there yet, but I wondered if any here have similar sentiments?

Reactions: Purebredcock
Talked to a friend of mine today who genuinely does not want us to win the UK game, his rationale being that we essentially need to burn things down to get rid of Muschamp. He fears a win in this game will placate enough people for the anti-Muschamp fervor to die down. Throw in win possible wins over Vandy and App State and that gets us to 4 wins, which he thinks saves Champ's job. He wants things to get bad enough where the decision is taken out of Ray's hands.

Now, I have a very difficult time getting to the point in my mind where I actually don't want us to win a game, but I guess I do somewhat see his logic. What good is it to win if that win helps preserve the job of a coach who ultimately can't get the job done? I guess he also realizes a bowl is out the window this year, with or without a UK win, so it's not essential from that perspective any longer.

So, I dunno. I'm definitely not there yet, but I wondered if any here have similar sentiments?
Yes. I always want the Gamecocks to win.

Yeah, that's a pretty extreme position for a Gamecock fan.

I mean, I want us to move on from Muschamp sooner rather than later, even making a midseason move to get a jump on things. Losing to UK would certainly move things along, but I dunno. As much as I know the season is a dumpster fire, part of still thinks "ok, beat uk, get 2 weeks to prep for UGA, shock the world and win that game and we're back to .500."

However upset I might get with coaches, I never want to see us lose a ballgame. It defeats the purpose of everything that goes into having a football team, which is a lot.

Hypothetically speaking, which scenario would you choose?

1. Beat UK and have Champ back next year.

2. Lose to UK and have a new coach next year.

I want us to win because I'm telling yall, I heard from numerous people that were not making any changes (to AD or HC) this year. 9-3 or 1-10, it doesn't matter. With that being said we just need to win them out. If you want to tank, wait until early next year.

2. All day
We all know Muschamp will never do squat here. Might as well cut him while we can. That said I don't want to lose to KY. I would rather win out. Won't happen though.

Win every game you play. That's the object. If you don't win enough games, things have a way of shaking themselves out as to whether the coach should stay or not. But want your team to win every time. Anything else is dishonorable.

Interesting to hear! Based on a lot of the posts lately, I got the idea pretty much everyone was totally done Champ and had washed their hands of this season.

Reactions: Brace1
Win every game you play. That's the object. If you don't win enough games, things have a way of shaking themselves out as to whether the coach should stay or not. But want your team to win every time. Anything else is dishonorable.

Would you say, then, that you still support Muschamp?

Man I’ve been there “wanting us to lose, because of Muschamp but for some reason, after the first play or two I’m rooting for the team! So yes I want us to beat Kentucky “even though” that night Prolong Muschamp’s tenure here. :(

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I am done with him, but I want to win. Winning any particular game or losing it does not necessarily mean Champ will stay or go.

Can you support the team without supporting Muschamp though? The two are inextricably tied.

To the extent I still hope he can get some traction and turn this around - yes. Why would anyone not want that? But that doesn't mean I won't call things as I see them week to week.

Not really sure where I am on it. I mean, I can't ever say I WANT us to lose. But I don't see the UK game has changing much about the trajectory of our season. It might make the difference between 3 wins and 4 wins. BEST case scenario we get 5 wins and that definitely secures Champ's job. But to what end? Is there really any chance he figures it next year, his 9th year as head coach?

Interesting to hear! Based on a lot of the posts lately, I got the idea pretty much everyone was totally done Champ and had washed their hands of this season.
It's more apathy than anything. Do I want us to win every game? Absolutely. As mad as I can ever get, I love this University and always want it to do well. But after Saturday, apathy has taken over. I may go to Homecoming because it's Homecoming, but that's it. I have no desire to be out there.

Not really sure where I am on it. I mean, I can't ever say I WANT us to lose. But I don't see the UK game has changing much about the trajectory of our season. It might make the difference between 3 wins and 4 wins. BEST case scenario we get 5 wins and that definitely secures Champ's job. But to what end? Is there really any chance he figures it next year, his 9th year as head coach?
UK won't change the trajectory of the season, but it is a MUST win. I just don't feel very good about our prospects in that regard.

Now hold on, if we win UK that can maybe breath some life into those boys. We can pick up UT, Vandy and App. And I know its tough to see now, but we can win all them and then were at 5. Then we need to just get one more somewhere and we're bowling!!

Reactions: RoosterNRussia
As adamant as I have been against Muschamp a loss to Kentucky at home is just salt in the wound . Like a previous poster stated , he’s not going anywhere regardless . 1-10 and he’s still our HC opening day next year . It’s just plain and simple . It’s beating a dead horse. We just don’t care that much about winning . We put profit and personal feeling above production so nothing is going to change until there are empty seats . So yes I want a win.

I want to win but I also want, desperately, for us to move on from Muschamp. Unfortunately, winning lessens the likelihood of us moving on from Muschamp.

Hopefully anyone that wants us to lose is a “fan” and not a graduate. Hopefully recruits disregard such an ignorant statement and know the majority of supporters do not have this mindset.

I have never met a gamecock fan who would rather lose to Uk than win....under any circumstance ever imagined...including this one.

Always want the team to win every game we play, especially the games we should win.

After 4 games, I don't have a lot of confidence in out coaches putting together a strategy to win games.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
I think OP is spot on. At this point winning only helps Champ. If it were my team I'd want to get it over with ASAP and move on.

I hope we destroy Kentucky. I hope this team, and coaching staff, emerge from the ashes like the proverbial Phoenix.

Yes I want us to win! If we win we are 2-3, its closer to my expectations, I was thinking 3-2 after 5 games, hoping for 4-1, but worried about road game Missouri, in the preseason, so the UNC game is the difference.

Last edited:
I think OP is spot on. At this point winning only helps Champ. If it were my team I'd want to get it over with ASAP and move on.
giphy.gif

As much as I would like a change in this staff, NO WAY I want the Cocks to lose, at anything..

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
It's more apathy than anything. Do I want us to win every game? Absolutely. As mad as I can ever get, I love this University and always want it to do well. But after Saturday, apathy has taken over. I may go to Homecoming because it's Homecoming, but that's it. I have no desire to be out there.
You've paid a lot of dues. You've earned the right to maneuver for your own betterment.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Fire the sonovabitch now.
Fire the entire football coaching staff now.
Fire Ray Tanner now.

Each and every one of them is incompetent and over paid. What are you waiting for? Not one single one of them has done a single thing to earn their salary. What has to be done to get rid of these morons? What part do you not understand?

Last edited:
What the hell is wrong with you people?

Fire the sonovabitch now.
Fire the entire football coaching staff now.
Fire Ray Tanner now.

Each and everyone of them is incompetent and over paid. What are you waiting for? Not one single one of them has done a single thing to earn their salary. What has to be done to get rid of these morons? What part do you not understand?
Do you understand the cost of doing that? That's why it likely won't happen this year.

ADVERTISEMENT