ADVERTISEMENT

Does anybody think Bentley has too much pressure on him ?

As long as he puts in the work and doesn't listen to all the talking heads, he will be ok.

I think he wants the pressure. I think he wants to be the leader. I believe he embraces peoples' high expectations. I'm not worried about pressure doing anything to him.

I assure you he has trained for this his whole life. It still takes talent which I think he has as well.
He is a coaches son, just as Shaw was.
Not drawing a comparison to talent, just their demeanor. These kids were raised with higher than average expectations and by this age they are better at dealing with it, imo.

Probably a little more pressure than necessary, and expectations have certainly risen in the offseason. I think his performance relies on OL play, playcalling and how well the defense performs. Its a perfect setup for a "sophomore slump" but I'm hoping he avoids that label.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
The OL can be good and Jake can still have the sophomore slump but that ain't happen'. I betting he grew up dreaming about being where he is and the pressure. He'll make mistakes but he'll be good enough that they won't matter because the good will grossly out weigh the bad. Spin that magic bean Jake.

external pressure? from around the league/country? teams with six wins never have pressure. After he throws for close to 4,000 yds. this year and rewrites the record book (South Carolina), his junior year will carry loads of pressure. He will handle it beautifully. JB will be the best QB in the SEC this year....I really do believe.

Comes with the territory. freshman Jacob Easom at Georgia had tons of it prior to the season, during the season and after the season.

He is still only a sophomore.
I think they're trying to set him up to fail (remember Jadeveon Clowney his last year?), but I'm hopeful Jake is aware of all this hype and will be cool enough to handle it! Jadeveon certainly ended up FINE, but I think the press is definitely trying to do this. Could be wrong - JMHO!!

Shouldn't be a big issue. Part of the territory. And with some of his comments back in the spring, he almost courted that type of pressure. But he is a QB in the SEC. Everyone of them is under a great deal of pressure.

Reactions: gamecockblack
I'm not particularly worried about the kid, I think he's probably fairly grounded and will be able to handle whatever pressure comes his way -- and I say that without knowing him personally.

What I'm not so sure about are all the lofty expectations and how fans will handle themselves if he doesn't meet them. Will folks turn on him if he doesn't live up to the hype?

It's almost like we're setting him up. Or maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Do I think he has too much pressure on him? Absolutely. He has become the leader/face of the program after 6 games. That really shouldn't happen, but that's where we're at right now.

Do I think he can handle it? Probably

It seems like expectations are out of line with what they should be - mostly for the team, but for Bentley, too. We always get this way in August. Then we play Ky and lose (at least for the last few years).

There's about the same level of expectation as Garcia had in his Jr year... and I think Jake's got a better head on his shoulders than Garcia did.

The only pressure he feels comes from right up the middle of our OL.

Him being a coaches son i think this is what hes been waiting for his entire life. I have a feeling he will be the best qb we have ever had not that weve had very many but Connor Shaw is a superstar to me no matter his NFL career.

It seems like expectations are out of line with what they should be - mostly for the team, but for Bentley, too. We always get this way in August. Then we play Ky and lose (at least for the last few years).

There's about the same level of expectation as Garcia had in his Jr year... and I think Jake's got a better head on his shoulders than Garcia did.

Garcia never took it serious. He wanted to walk around campus and be the big shot but he didnt put in work. He is the Auburn and FSU qb we saw more so than the 2010 Alabama qb.

Connor Shaw put in the work and doesnt have near the arm Jake has.

Dylan Thompson came into to a depleted team that knew Spurrier was finished with football. He couldve been a good one, he was a little cocky too.

Garcia like i said thought he was cock of the walk. Party all night , not study film and show up on gameday like he was gonna be Tom Brady. We have come a long way because Bentley has twice the arm strength and accuracy of Garcia.

Perry Orth.....what can i say, all heart not D1 talent, maybe not even D2 talent. A walk on that has no legs, and eyed his receivers.

Lorenzo Nunez.....what was Spurrier thinking? He mightve been worse than Corey Jenkins or Dondrial Pinkins. Complete mystery there.

Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley made me wish Blake Mitchell had anotjer year or 2 of eligibility. Beecher and his 5 ints vs NC st in the 2008 opener was tough to watch. Smelley was like Bobby Fuller, the app st qb that came in with Sparky Woods. Just hand the ball off, throw screens and the bomb that if intercepted was just like a punt.

So yea I have high hopes for Bentley just watching his accuracy and arm strength and leadership last year has me thinking of big things to come. Brandon Mcelwain saw it and new it was a rap when Jake to charge.

Guys we are going to be good, real good wait and see. We are going to shock the world

Garcia never took it serious. He wanted to walk around campus and be the big shot but he didnt put in work. He is the Auburn and FSU qb we saw more so than the 2010 Alabama qb.

Connor Shaw put in the work and doesnt have near the arm Jake has.

Dylan Thompson came into to a depleted team that knew Spurrier was finished with football. He couldve been a good one, he was a little cocky too.

Garcia like i said thought he was cock of the walk. Party all night , not study film and show up on gameday like he was gonna be Tom Brady. We have come a long way because Bentley has twice the arm strength and accuracy of Garcia.

Perry Orth.....what can i say, all heart not D1 talent, maybe not even D2 talent. A walk on that has no legs, and eyed his receivers.

Lorenzo Nunez.....what was Spurrier thinking? He mightve been worse than Corey Jenkins or Dondrial Pinkins. Complete mystery there.

Tommy Beecher and Chris Smelley made me wish Blake Mitchell had anotjer year or 2 of eligibility. Beecher and his 5 ints vs NC st in the 2008 opener was tough to watch. Smelley was like Bobby Fuller, the app st qb that came in with Sparky Woods. Just hand the ball off, throw screens and the bomb that if intercepted was just like a punt.

So yea I have high hopes for Bentley just watching his accuracy and arm strength and leadership last year has me thinking of big things to come. Brandon Mcelwain saw it and new it was a rap when Jake to charge.

Guys we are going to be good, real good wait and see. We are going to shock the world
laughed out loud at some of those assessments. Hope you're right about the last part.

One thing's for sure. It will be interesting, as always.

Pressure ...yea. Bentley is a starting QB in the SEC. O-Line, hope for better, but we have to go w/ Average at best.

The real key is the Offensive co-ordintor calling the plays. Bentley will have playmakers on the field....we need the right calls, knowing we have an average O-Line. Right calls being called against the right defensive alignments, and Bentley growing into the Leader knowing when to audible to the right play.

See, it's simple quite frankly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT