ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone believe we will beat a team with a winning record this year?

Southern Fried Chicken

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2022
Kentucky seems to be our best chance but, they have Jawja and Louisville left and the Cardinals have gotten stronger as the season wears on.

They are running out of chances, and the next two don't look real promising. Possibly in a bowl game. Will go to Charlotte, or some other joke bowl where you might catch a team that had a disappointing year and doesn't want to be there like last year.

Ok you football know it alls....tell me how USC can be a long term year in year out powerhouse...i say it will never happen.

Reactions: agantt
Ok you football know it alls....tell me how USC can be a long term year in year out powerhouse...i say it will never happen.
It won't. But that doesn't mean it can't field a good team, with a good record, and upset some really good teams. Powerhouse is reserved for Alabama recently, Nebraska in the 90s, FSU in the Bowden days, Southern Cal in the mid 70s, Oklahoma in the mid-50s, Army in the 40s, etc. South Carolina isn't going to ever be a powerhouse, but it can be a really good team.

It won't. But that doesn't mean it can't field a good team, with a good record, and upset some really good teams. Powerhouse is reserved for Alabama recently, Nebraska in the 90s, FSU in the Bowden days, Southern Cal in the mid 70s, Oklahoma in the mid-50s, Army in the 40s, etc. South Carolina isn't going to ever be a powerhouse, but it can be a really good team.
If we can't ever be a powerhouse, we might as well get out of the sport, as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, we are just a piece of meat that the powerhouses tear apart and eat.

Well we beat ourselves every other week and we’ll end up 6-6 soooo

If we can't ever be a powerhouse, we might as well get out of the sport, as far as I'm concerned. Otherwise, we are just a piece of meat that the powerhouses tear apart and eat.
Really? Because Penn State has never been a powerhouse. LSU has never been a powerhouse. Tennessee has never been a powerhouse. Arkansas has never been a powerhouse. Stanford, UCLA, Washington, etc have never been powerhouses. Should all of those teams get out of college football? There wouldn't be a dozen teams left.

I don't think you aspirations are reasonable, and they wouldn't be if you were an Arkansas fan, or fan of any of the above teams. Being a good team with a good winning record, beating many really good teams, seems like a lot of fun to me.

Reactions: Cybercock
Really? Because Penn State has never been a powerhouse. LSU has never been a powerhouse. Tennessee has never been a powerhouse. Arkansas has never been a powerhouse. Stanford, UCLA, Washington, etc have never been powerhouses. Should all of those teams get out of college football? There wouldn't be a dozen teams left.

I don't think you aspirations are reasonable, and they wouldn't be if you were an Arkansas fan, or fan of any of the above teams. Being a good team with a good winning record, beating many really good teams, seems like a lot of fun to me.
You've made a few questionable assertions regarding certain programs, but I'll say that all teams that have never had appreciable periods in the top tier in more than a single decade should get out of football. Get this thing down to NFL size. Remove the unworthy. These aren't aspirations or expectations. In everything in life, you're either a hammer or a nail. Being the nail is perpetual futility and a waste of other people's time.

Clemson and Tennessee are what’s left to beat. Probably the #2 and #3 hardest teams on our schedule. Our chances don’t look to good. Lol

Ray and his Legion of Sunshine pumpers will remind you that the team is Bowl Eligible!!!!!!!

It starts with an AD that has enough of a football IQ to know that hiring a head coach that just crashed Florida's program isn't a good hire. Then follow up that huge, and very expensive mistake by hiring a guy that has zero head coaching experience. There is a terrible rotten smell in our football program, and it is coming from the AD's office.

Clemson and Tennessee are what’s left to beat. Probably the #2 and #3 hardest teams on our schedule. Our chances don’t look to good. Lol

Ray and his Legion of Sunshine pumpers will remind you that the team is Bowl Eligible!!!!!!!
and the athletic department when they send their emails wanting more money to support this very successful program.

They are running out of chances, and the next two don't look real promising. Possibly in a bowl game. Will go to Charlotte, or some other joke bowl where you might catch a team that had a disappointing year and doesn't want to be there like last year.
Urban Legend has it that every year, prior to their bowl game, Bear Bryant would ask only the Seniors to vote whether they wanted to have the best week of their lives or to win their bowl game. He personally guaranteed that, no matter which way they voted, he would make it happen.

You've made a few questionable assertions regarding certain programs, but I'll say that all teams that have never had appreciable periods in the top tier in more than a single decade should get out of football. Get this thing down to NFL size. Remove the unworthy. These aren't aspirations or expectations. In everything in life, you're either a hammer or a nail. Being the nail is perpetual futility and a waste of other people's time.
That sounds like a boring college game with barely enough teams to play. That just isn't what college football has ever been, that sounds more like an NFL lineup. TCU was national champion in 1939, and was relevant football wise into the early 1960s, then had some bad coaches and sunk to obscurity for more than four decades. Gary Patterson brought them back to have seasons finishing six times in the top ten including No.2 and No 3 finishes. This season they are undefeated and looking towards the playoffs. That is what college football is, you can always have hope to turn things around. If TCU can do it, why can't SC?

Reactions: Neanderthal
That sounds like a boring college game with barely enough teams to play. That just isn't what college football has ever been, that sounds more like an NFL lineup. TCU was national champion in 1939, and was relevant football wise into the early 1960s, then had some bad coaches and sunk to obscurity for more than four decades. Gary Patterson brought them back to have seasons finishing six times in the top ten including No.2 and No 3 finishes. This season they are undefeated and looking towards the playoffs. That is what college football is, you can always have hope to turn things around. If TCU can do it, why can't SC?
If South Carolina were in Texas, lacked the political interference we labor under, and had a good coaching staff, it possibly could. Of course, I was being facetious about all these schools giving up football. The ladder powerhouses climb to get to the top has to have rungs to step on.

ADVERTISEMENT