ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else feel that once you

VirgilCaine

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2008
Manning SC
win a national championship, anything less is a disappointment? Or should I rephrase that. The seasons before the championship are more exciting than the ones after.

I can explain why baseball dropped off, we all saw our program slowly dying. We went from playing sound baseball under Ray to mistakes we never used to make. As for WBB I think you'll see enthusiasm pickup next year with who we have coming in. Everyone knew AW was 90% of our team last year but this year shows just how huge of an impact she had.

Reactions: gamecockblack
No, you just win more championships after the 1st one... my team has won 4 W.S. this century and us fans love them all

Here’s another point of view...Would you rather be a team coming off a Championship with downward future or a team with optimism that’s on the rise with a future that’s brighter?

Here’s another point of view...Would you rather be a team coming off a Championship with downward future or a team with optimism that’s on the rise with a future that’s brighter?
I’m usually a cup is half full type of guy, but Lately I’ve been thinking it could be half empty.

Baseball, with an inexperienced HC had nowhere to go but down. Holbrook had HUGE shoes to fill, and he wasn’t prepared for the task at hand. Good man, but it’s better to replace the coach that replaced THE COACH!

Dawn seems to be recruiting her way back to the top. Losing one of the best women’s basketball players (college) ever, has dropped us off some. No way to replace a player like Wilson. We won the SEC every year she was here, played in two FF, and won a NC. Can’t get much better than that!!

win a national championship, anything less is a disappointment? Or should I rephrase that. The seasons before the championship are more exciting than the ones after.
I think it can depend on how and when you became a fan. I know I remember the Hatfield, West and Bowden years all too well. We might not win another National Championship for another three decades but winning 10+ games a year is magnitudes better than those years I mentioned. It’s also important to cherish and enjoy the good times because it can turn in a heartbeat.

Reactions: ArniePalmies
No, you just win more championships after the 1st one... my team has won 4 W.S. this century and us fans love them all

But as a fellow redsox fan,,, the one in 04 was the best(for me) with this years being a definable 2nd(due to JBJ and Pearce)..
I do think the shine does wear off after a while,, but its a great problem to have..

Reactions: Gaimcock
I’m usually a cup is half full type of guy, but Lately I’ve been thinking it could be half empty.

I’m thinking you’re more 1/2 empty than full, especially lately...

Championships are hard to follow. Ray & the boys almost got 3 in a row.
Holbrook let a ton of wind out of our sails. I was pleased with our finish last year and I am excited for 2019 & even more so 2020 YardCocks

Dawn & Aj’a followed their title respectably, I think we have to look at this year as a reset season of sorts.

My uncle always told me it’s not easy to be a Gamecock, hang in there VC !

I think the first championship, or first time you taste greatness is usually the best. Case in point, I will always consider McGuire’s great basketball teams and the 84 football team and season as some of my favorite Gamecock memories. Why, because they were the first times in those sports that we were national players. Ditto for the 2010 baseball national championship.

I think it can depend on how and when you became a fan. I know I remember the Hatfield, West and Bowden years all too well. We might not win another National Championship for another three decades but winning 10+ games a year is magnitudes better than those years I mentioned. It’s also important to cherish and enjoy the good times because it can turn in a heartbeat.
No one knows this better than us... Really. We didn't realize how blessed we were with Spurrier, or how hard the fall was going to be when he quit.

See Auburn, Florida, FSU, etc. Especially FSU, wow.

We have 2 in baseball and 1 in wbb. It just seems like the enthusiasm hasn’t been the same in either sport since.
You have to maintain. You can't take breaks in recruiting or otherwise lose the magic touch for a year or two. You have to have the feeling that we are at least in the mix again. Once that's lost, enthusiasm plummets. We don't have that anywhere right now.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
We have 2 in baseball and 1 in wbb. It just seems like the enthusiasm hasn’t been the same in either sport since.
Really??? So you don't think there was just as much excitement in 2012 when our baseball team went to the WS and played in the final championship series for the third straight year? We didn't win it that year but I recall a great deal of excitement and support. Not sure where you were then but it must have been in a different place.

His supporters do.

You would have to ask an Alabama fan that. Winning a title is the pinnacle. Repeating is maybe more difficult to do. Sometimes it happens, sometimes you hold on to that one shining moment.

In baseball we were able to repeat and almost 3 peat. In women’s basketball we may never win one. Hard to know if we ever will in football. My guess is if so it’s in my grandkids lifetime...who are currently non existent.

You would have to ask an Alabama fan that. Winning a title is the pinnacle. Repeating is maybe more difficult to do. Sometimes it happens, sometimes you hold on to that one shining moment.

In baseball we were able to repeat and almost 3 peat. In women’s basketball we may never win one. Hard to know if we ever will in football. My guess is if so it’s in my grandkids lifetime...who are currently non existent.
huh? im pretty sure wbb just won one

ADVERTISEMENT