ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone find it odd

75CarolinaFan

Jan 7, 2009
that the same people that supported hiring Muschamp support hiring Beamer and they are the first ones that have made excuses for Muschamp losing here? The same ones that say you can't win here and that we shouldn't expect to? The same ones that say no one wants to come here?

1000% agree. I think this fan base is plagued by a lot of complacency. Yeah, Muschamp flunked out at Florida, but he was once the “coach in waiting” at a successful Texas program so there must be something to him, right? He was a complacency pick. Beamer was popular with the players here, he’s the son of a guy who turned VT into a winner (even though that credit belongs mostly to Bud Foster, Michael Vick, and Tyrod Taylor), and now he’s at Oklahoma. So there must be something to him, right? Another “complacency” pick.

we have a fan base who would be happy with 7-8 wins per season. Complacency.

even the Holtz and Spurrier hires were somewhat complacency picks because they were successful somewhere else. Brad Scott was hired because he was the hottest coordinator in the country at the time and was considered a “can’t miss”.

this is a school and a fan base that don’t like to take a gamble. The ONLY time in my lifetime that we’ve taken any kind of gamble was with Sparky Woods. And even then, we didn’t give him a long enough leash to tell if he’d pan out or not (though I did hear he pretty much lost the team at one point and that was his undoing).

but the one thing I learned from Spurriers time here is that you CAN win at Carolina.So no, I don’t want to be complacent anymore. We need to stop being complacent and take a gamble for once. And the more I think about, I see the gamble worth taking as Chadwell. Hire him and give him 4 years no matter what and let’s see how it plays out. Him or Napier are my picks.

1000% agree. I think this fan base is plagued by a lot of complacency. Yeah, Muschamp flunked out at Florida, but he was once the “coach in waiting” at a successful Texas program so there must be something to him, right? He was a complacency pick. Beamer was popular with the players here, he’s the son of a guy who turned VT into a winner (even though that credit belongs mostly to Bud Foster, Michael Vick, and Tyrod Taylor), and now he’s at Oklahoma. So there must be something to him, right? Another “complacency” pick.

even the Holtz and Spurrier hires were somewhat complacency picks because they were successful somewhere else. Brad Scott was hired because he was the hottest coordinator in the country at the time and was considered a “can’t miss”.

this is a school and a fan base that don’t like to take a gamble. The ONLY time in my lifetime that we’ve taken any kind of gamble was with Sparky Woods. And even then, we didn’t give him a long enough leash to tell if he’d pan out or not (though I did hear he pretty much lost the team at one point and that was his undoing).

but the one thing I learned from Spurriers time here is that you CAN win at Carolina.So no, I don’t want to be complacent anymore. We need to stop being complacent and take a gamble for once. And the more I think about, I see the gamble worth taking as Chadwell. Hire him and give him 4 years no matter what and let’s see how it plays out. Him or Napier are my picks.
Good post. I have to admit I'd be happy with 8 wins/yr but not as a goal as an average based in reality that most programs don't average more than that. I also think Holtz and Spurrier were great hires but both wanted out sooner and were talked into staying. Should've learned from Holtz but Tanner didn't.

I like Chadwell and THAT is a calculated risk that isn't based almost solely on his last name. I also like Napier but just have a bad feeling he's leading us on.

Good post. I have to admit I'd be happy with 8 wins/yr but not as a goal as an average based in reality that most programs don't average more than that. I also think Holtz and Spurrier were great hires but both wanted out sooner and were talked into staying. Should've learned from Holtz but Tanner didn't.

I like Chadwell and THAT is a calculated risk that isn't based almost solely on his last name. I also like Napier but just have a bad feeling he's leading us on.

you have to look at it this way...Hatfield was a “complacent” hire for Clemson and they refused to accept complacency. Tommy West was considered a “can’t miss”, he didn’t pan out and they canned him. Keeping Dabo as HC was a HUGE risk. He won ACC titles while getting his ass handed to him by Spurrier year after year and what did they do? They chose to gamble and wait Spurrier out. How’s that worked out for them? For once in my life, I want to see Carolina make a gamble. I firmly believe that taking a gamble on Chadwell WILL pay off. Or Napier. But NOT Beamer.

that the same people that supported hiring Muschamp support hiring Beamer and they are the first ones that have made excuses for Muschamp losing here? The same ones that say you can't win here and that we shouldn't expect to? The same ones that say no one wants to come here?
I think that’s simply a feeling you have instead of a fact. I don’t know any way you could factually reach that conclusion.

This is the reality of us:
1. Hire a great coach(Spurrier)—win 9 or more and challenge for the SEC East

2. Hire a pretty good coach (Holtz) and it’s 7-9 win ceiling and Outback Bowls galore

3. Hire a bad coach and the bottom falls out (Muschamp, Scott)

This is the reality of us:
1. Hire a great coach(Spurrier)—win 9 or more and challenge for the SEC East

2. Hire a pretty good coach (Holtz) and it’s 7-9 win ceiling and Outback Bowls galore

3. Hire a bad coach and the bottom falls out (Muschamp, Scott)
The closest thing to SOS on the market is either coaching at Coastal or Liberty. Doubt we go after either. It's too obvious. We will end up with Butch Jones after Saban gives him a glowing report.

When you’re on pace to average 3 wins a year over the past two years, 8 wins sounds great to me.
I agree it sounds good but it's fool's gold - There is no way to be an "8-win" team in the SEC consistently. That same team will get 5 or 6 wins when the SEC is strong. I think you either go big, or go home.

If we aren't competing for championships then we might as well leave and become independent again. I know it'll never happen because the board enjoys the corporate welfare of the SEC.

Do you have some source that shows the same people who favored BOOM! favor Beamer?

Reactions: yeasos
I agree it sounds good but it's fool's gold - There is no way to be an "8-win" team in the SEC consistently. That same team will get 5 or 6 wins when the SEC is strong. I think you either go big, or go home.

If we aren't competing for championships then we might as well leave and become independent again. I know it'll never happen because the board enjoys the corporate welfare of the SEC.

LOL! 'Corporate welfare of the SEC' - true, but still it's hilarious!

So these "people" are one guy? I thought you were talking about people on this board.
Do you count?

Here are some quotes from you during the Muschamp hire.

Comparison to Dabo hire CHECK
Could be worse CHECK
Going to assemble great staff CHECK
Says he will stay longer if successful CHECK

LOL! It's the same logic!

People were once laughing their asses of when Clemson hired the WR coach. How are they doing nowadays?

Already reported he's talking to Jeff Scott. Good recruiter. Hopefully, he'll be wise enough to bring back Elliott Johnson for D coord. But who knows. If it is Muschamp, it could be a lot worse. I was hoping for one of the young bucks like Riley.
I doubt that would be acceptable. The only ones that I could see keeping are GA and the ST's coach. Elliott Johnson should be contacted about DC and recruiting in SC. Muschamp is no dummy and he will probably be able to assemble a better staff than one of the young'uns. He aslo will probably stay longer, even if successful.

Reactions: DarkHorse2001
Do you count?

Here are some quotes from you during the Muschamp hire.

Comparison to Dabo hire CHECK
Could be worse CHECK
Going to assemble great staff CHECK
Says he will stay longer if successful CHECK

LOL! It's the same logic!
Nice try
First comment is completely true so I don't know what you're trying to say.
Second comment is that I was hoping for Riley.
Third comment. Well, no one's perfect. I guess I should have condemned the man before he was named coach.
You left out where I've said repeatedly I prefer Napier or Chadwell ahead of Beamer. But I'd prefer Beamer to Freeze. I'd also prefer Sark to Freeze.

Nice try
First comment is completely true so I don't know what you're trying to say.
Second comment is that I was hoping for Riley.
Third comment. Well, no one's perfect. I guess I should have condemned the man before he was named coach.
You left out where I've said repeatedly I prefer Napier or Chadwell ahead of Beamer. But I'd prefer Beamer to Freeze. I'd also prefer Sark to Freeze.
The thread is about people supporting those hires, not your preference. You supported Muschamp, period. That's clear from the quotes.

The thread is about people supporting those hires, not your preference. You supported Muschamp, period. That's clear from the quotes.
You mean the quote where I said I preferred Riley? You can't count or read.
Have a nice day sir.

And even if true, I think there are better choices than Beamer. So I'm not one of "these people" you speak of.

Every hire he gets outside of Meyer will probably be

Could be worse

Will assemble a good staff

Will stay long if successful

can’t imagine a candidate on the list that doesn’t apply towards

You mean the quote where I said I preferred Riley? You can't count or read.
Have a nice day sir.
No. It's the quotes where you supported Muschamp. There are more, shall I share?

Here's you on why you liked(IOW supported) the Muschamp hire.

Based on the guy's previous recruiting, at least that aspect should get better. The desire to get better on defense is addressed by DC Travaris Robinson, who is known to be a great recruiter. This should be a well recruited and coached defense going forward. Did you see the one Muschamp left at FL playing Saturday? It's stellar.

Big question mark for me is the offense. I believe Roper is a Cutcliffe disciple. That sounds good to me, but I don't know specific X's and O's of his scheme.

If we'd hired Herman, all the ???'s would be on the defensive side, where we need immediate change.

LMAO! But I "cAn'T cOuNt Or ReAd."

Good one.

Garnet eyewear runs to unimaginable depths..

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan
The only one I am completely out on is Sark. Encourage anyone to see how it ended at UW. He does not belong in the stress of a HBC job.

I am all in personally on Chadwell. He knows SC and would not have to reconnect to local HS coaches.

I have no use for Freeze. I think he has disqualified himself from a major coaching job. Reminds me of the basketball coach at Auburn and Pitino. Knows the game but the NCAA may as well come to live in Cola.

Napier is intriguing Wants to beat Dabo. Does not interview well on videos I have watched. Team is good. Can he do that here? Probably my second choice.

I would love to go for Duce but don’t think that is happening as it would require a law or policy change

Tony Elliot I would also be real happy about if only to remove him from the upstate. I think he can coach and could assemble a great staff.

Yes. I've noticed too. The other thing I've noticed is a propensity for these fans to say, "he'd never come here" when referring to a successful coach at another program.

There's a faction of Gamecock fans with an inferiority complex.

McGee didn't feel that way when the convinced Holtz and then Spurrier to come here.

This doesn’t make sense. First Brad Scott was one of THE hottest coordinators at the time. He was at the top of everybody’s list. Holtz and Spurrier were proven winners That could recruit. Spurrier stayed here 10 years and was the longest tenured SEC coach outside Saban I think. Sparky was unproven in Div 1. Joe Morrison came from the pro ranks. So we have TRIED everything. I don’t follow your complacency statement at all.

I am all in personally on Chadwell. He knows SC and would not have to reconnect to local HS coaches.

This is actually one of the biggest knocks against him, the state HS coaches are not a huge fan of him, they feel he passed on kids who are local for an out of state kid who is about the same.

Wow! I could not say it better!

Reactions: 75CarolinaFan

Great points!!

i see it as the opposite. the muschamp haters were very vocal and the ones wanting Beamer are also very vocal.. seems like these are people that are very adamant about getting what they want, the hell with everything else...they probably think their bitching is what caused champ to get fired and now if they push Beamer hard enough they get their way again...they might get both but it has nothing to do with their constant agenda

This is actually one of the biggest knocks against him, the state HS coaches are not a huge fan of him, they feel he passed on kids who are local for an out of state kid who is about the same.
Turns out he may have been right in his evaluations Coastal is ranked for the first time and undefeated

Reactions: Flameout12
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT