ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone remember the meltdown a...

Please let Beamer be the coach talk to your negative friends
It’s a discussion forum. If you don’t want to hear the opinions of others find another forum. I love reading what others are thinking, but of course I’m a 1976 grad … you know, back when colleges encouraged the exchange of thoughts and ideas……except in the sociology and journalism departments.

I never understand why people believe college coaches are beyond criticism. They are paid huge sums of money to coach teenagers to play a game. They are frequently paid millions to just quit their jobs (see Will Muschamp). I have no problem with folks that defend a coach, but those same folks should have no problem with loyal, long-suffering USC fans wanting to voice their concerns about the direction of the program. Regardless of how much you like coach Beamer, you have to accept facts. The OC hire is a mystery, an experiment at this point. The guy has no experience calling college games. None. His experience in the pros is suspect. Once voted the worst play caller in the NFL. Is that his fault? Perhaps not. Maybe he had bad players. But who knows this for certain. You can't point to his NFL experience and say "there is a great OC." In addition, we all know NFL success doesn't necessarily translate to college success. I have no issue with Carolina fans being upset that with all the momentum the program has been developing in the last two games, there seems to be no reason why you would not pick someone at OC that had an established record in calling college games -- especially when coach Beamer says there were people in that category that wanted the position. The choice is a valid concern. I hope it is a concern that is proven false. I hope the new OC has an amazing level of success. But, I have no issue with USC fans being able to voice their concerns. They have earned that right in supporting a program that has under-performed for many years. College coaches, like any other high-paid public figures, are not (and should not be) immune from second-guessing. That is an American right.

Reactions: shelleyg1953
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT