ADVERTISEMENT

Does NCAA now need to make an example of UNC?

slifchez

Jan 4, 2001
Seems that there's a lot of talk these days about the situation at Missouri proving that the NCAA has less control than they used to have. Do they need to show some power by coming down hard on UNC, despite everyone's "slap on the wrist" expectations?

Just a thought.

I hope not. If they come down hard on them, it should because of the offense not retribution or "make an example". That's not how judiciary systems should be run, IMHO.

Yes. But I don't want it to hurt them where the taters have a chance to end their 100 game losing streak. Oh.....yeah.... We don't have to worry about that sorry basketball team ever beating another team hahaha.

UNC had players enrolling in fake classes. They're a public institution and partially funded with taxes/grants.

Forget about the NCAA for a second. This is committing fraud with public money. There should be federal and state level investigations - athletic probation should be the "slap on the wrist" - fines and jail time should be the real punishment.

Reactions: cunow
There should be serious punishment for fraud regarding classes as well as the revocation of any degrees conferred as a result of taking the classes. Saint Roy had no idea? Yeah right, the equipment guy can't fart without St. Roy knowing about it. Any sport affected should be on probation. We gave a kid a ride to class and got slapped. Tar Holes deserve the death penalty.

the classes weren't "fake"

this is an accreditation issue, not a school or ncaa.

if the ncaa were to punish north carolina for that, then everybody better get ready to be punished...and if you've attended college in nc, sc, mich, or cal, etc, you're aware this goes on.

UNC committed some of the worst infractions in the HISTORY of NCAA sports. Let that sink in for a second. In the HISTORY of the NCAA. On its OWN record, the case merits some of the worst punishment ever handed down by the NCAA. But it won't happen, because UNC basketball is also an NCAA icon.

thought maybe your argument would be legit, until i saw the n&o link...not even gonna click it because it's all garbage and has been refuted as such.

dan kane is worse than ron morris...now let that sink in.

If any school deserves harsh punishment, it's UNCarolina. I mean 18 years of academic fraud?? But they won't because of the ncaa connections to the school. They'll skate.

So, what do you call a student athlete who is "counseled" by an adult working on behalf of the athletic department, to sign up for a class, that requires no attendance, and that only requires one paper, which the player knows will be written for him, to get a "easy A" to bring up his GPA so that he can continue to play that sport for the university? This way, the university will not have its current team adversely affected, and possible reduction in future scholarships or post-season ban because of lowered GPA's?

Athlete's thought process -- "So all I have to do to get an "A" to keep playing basketball is sign up for a class, that I don't have to attend, and won't have to do anything, as all the work will be done for me."

We all knew there were certain classes and teachers in college that were "easier", but this takes it to a whole different level...

if the ncaa were to punish north carolina for that, then everybody better get ready to be punished...and if you've attended college in nc, sc, mich, or cal, etc, you're aware this goes on.

take off your powder blue glasses. know its hard for you

Really? Here's an excerpt from an article written about the investigation:

A former professor at the center of an academic scandal involving athletes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been charged with a felony, accused of receiving $12,000 in payment for a lecture course in which he held no classes.

A grand jury on Monday indicted Julius Nyang'Oro with a single felony count of obtaining property by false pretenses.

Nyang'Oro was chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. He resigned from that post in 2011 during a campus investigation that found certain classes in the department that instructors did not teach, undocumented grade changes and faked faculty signatures on some grade reports.

Sounds like fraud to me.

Everything is fine. No probation. This was all blown out of proportion.

attachment.php

thought maybe your argument would be legit, until i saw the n&o link...not even gonna click it because it's all garbage and has been refuted as such.

dan kane is worse than ron morris...now let that sink in.

Oh, I had no idea that was the ONLY media source who is calling out the cheating. My bad.

Fox, CBS, ABC, SI, CNN -- The NCAA found evidence of academic fraud -- five Level 1 violations -- and is pursuing sanctions against the university. The fraud went on for 18 years and involved members of the athletic department pushing athletes into sham "paper" classes where plagiarism was rampant, the university's own investigation found. It was institutional cheating used to keep players' grades up. Wait...do I really have to go to all of these other sources and pull these up? NO! The N&O didn't "make up" a massive investigation.

Sure glad they didn't report on the Holocaust. Because surely you would say that never happened either.

I made a post on FB the other day where a bunch of UNC fans were mouthing off about being ranked #1. I thought the Clemsux tigers were thin skinned and delusional ...these people went off and posted some of the most vile and ignorant BS I have ever seen on the internet sports boards. I think reality is a not a place they visit very often.

Reactions: cockylady50
Seems that there's a lot of talk these days about the situation at Missouri proving that the NCAA has less control than they used to have. Do they need to show some power by coming down hard on UNC, despite everyone's "slap on the wrist" expectations?

Just a thought.
I don't see where one thing has anything to do with the other. Besides, this Justice Department wouldn't indict Hillary if she cut open a child on Pennsylvania Avenue.

People (Tater & Heel types) have said for years USC is easy, the education is slack, blah blah blah.....how would you know if you never went here? I had to attend pretty much every class, in an actual brick building, because some in my major took attendance, and plenty of others were ball busters. Plus, there were more than a few prominent athletes scattered throughout the 66 hours I took when I went back in 2009, and most were good students. I will say Tanner/Hyman Spurrier, etc made sure athletes did work in the classroom as evidenced by this:

http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/acad/spec-rel/071714aaa.html

They should feel a hammer the size of North America, but with Teflon John around, they'll just get a love tap or two. Even the Teflon Don got what was coming eventually.....

Last edited:

Just a thought.
Yes they do. No they won't.

The situation at Mizzou appears to be turning into more and more of a farce every day, and a man lost his job, and potentially career in a NY minute, all while setting a potentially nuclear precedent. Meanwhile, Hole officials are sitting there looking at Mizzou, sipping tea like Kermit.

Really? Here's an excerpt from an article written about the investigation:

A former professor at the center of an academic scandal involving athletes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has been charged with a felony, accused of receiving $12,000 in payment for a lecture course in which he held no classes.

A grand jury on Monday indicted Julius Nyang'Oro with a single felony count of obtaining property by false pretenses.

Nyang'Oro was chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies. He resigned from that post in 2011 during a campus investigation that found certain classes in the department that instructors did not teach, undocumented grade changes and faked faculty signatures on some grade reports.

Sounds like fraud to me.

Surprised they have kept a lid on accreditation issues.......some of these people earned degree's under a fraudulent course!

But for over 18 years of documented cheating they were placed on 1 year probation by their accreditation agency! 1 year probation for 18 years worth of 'undisputed' academic fraud!

Name another University that could pull that off!

http://abc11.com/education/unc-gets-serious-punishment-in-wake-of-scandal-/777947/

The most laughable part of that entire story is the spokesperson for the accreditation agency saying "they wanted to send a serious message with the 12 month probation" Really? An entire 12 months of probation for 18 years worth of academic fraud? That's some SERIOUS message!

The NCAA will do nothing more than slap them on the wrist!

Last edited:
Wide spread academic fraud taking place for almost two decades. They should get the death penalty.

Heck, we got busted under Holtz for hiring a kid a tutor to help him prepare for the SAT's.

baghdad_bob_1.jpg

Reactions: wentzel25
The situation at Mizzou appears to be turning into more and more of a farce every day, and a man lost his job, and potentially career in a NY minute, all while setting a potentially nuclear precedent. Meanwhile, Hole officials are sitting there looking at Mizzou, sipping tea like Kermit.
You can bet the house that the President and Chancellor at Missouri didn't go on their own. They were pushed out to appease the mob in the name of distancing the state from the Ferguson mentality and enhancing the school's "academic" (liberal-leaning) reputation.

This would probably be the case except for student-athletes being herded to these classes to maintain eligible GPAs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT