ADVERTISEMENT

Does our Football Team now Have an Identity?

Cockish

Apr 11, 2017
Under SOS, UF's offense was known as the "Fun-n-Gun" and UGA is known as being a run first offense...just curious or is it too soon to tell or even speculate?

Under SOS, UF's offense was known as the "Fun-n-Gun" and UGA is known as being a run first offense...just curious or is it too soon to tell or even speculate?

I think we have to look at it as whole body of work and not just one or two games... I LOVE the wins against UGA and UK, but for the life of me can't figure out what we were doing against Mizzu a few weeks before that. Honestly, right now we are more of a running team, especially if Dak has to be QB1. But one thing is for certain, we can't be a team that gets behind the chains on first and second downs, and allows a D to pin their ears back on third down...

Reactions: Cockish
I think we have to look at it as whole body of work and not just one or two games... I LOVE the wins against UGA and UK, but for the life of me can't figure out what we were doing against Mizzu a few weeks before that. Honestly, right now we are more of a running team, especially if Dak has to be QB1. But one thing is for certain, we can't be a team that gets behind the chains on first and second downs, and allows a D to pin their ears back on third down...
Hilinski was hurt in that game and didn't practice much that week, and it showed. Missouri keyed on our running game and stopped us cold. Even though they are better than they were when they played us at this point in the season, I think we would win a close one against them if we played Saturday.

Until we are a little more consistent on our approach to each game. UNC/Missouri vs Alabama/Georgia/Kentucky....

I'm going to have to go with 'Cocks Craps' Roll the dice and see what happens.

Reactions: Brace1 and Cockish
Hilinski was hurt in that game and didn't practice much that week, and it showed. Missouri keyed on our running game and stopped us cold. Even though they are better than they were when they played us at this point in the season, I think we would win a close one against them if we played Saturday.

That is honestly my fear for this week, IF and I mean IF RH can't go, I honestly feel like our backs will be against the wall if Florida is able to make us one dimensional and a run only team. If Dak isn't a 100percent with his hamstring, the threat of him running is taken out of the equation, leaving him to pass, and that is truly an unknown right now... Hoping for the best regardless this week. Go Cocks.

Reactions: Brace1 and mavcock
I have never understood the "Identity" thing.... pertaining to offense especially. What is Bama's identity this year? or even Clemson? Heck, Florida, LSU, Texas, etc.... They all can run the ball when they need to and throw downfield as needed, which is what I think you strive to be able to do on offense anyway... I would think the goal is to attack a teams defenses weakness. If that means throwing 40 times, then do so. If that means 50 running plays, then go for it...

Reactions: Cockish
I think the best identity we could have is one of staunch D to compliment a balanced run/pass offensive attack. Since the D has looked like its beginning to come around, and the run game has ticked upward the last couple of games, we're getting closer to having that identity.

Reactions: mavcock and Cockish
I think the best identity we could have is one of staunch D to compliment a balanced run/pass offensive attack. Since the D has looked like its beginning to come around, and the run game has ticked upward the last couple of games, we're getting closer to having that identity.

This approach is how Spurrier won so many games here.

Whatever we're doing is still better than what we had during the Richard Bell year. Us disgruntled fans called it the run, run, pass, punt offense. Thus that's why it was the Richard Bell year rather than years.

Too early to tell. But I will say I'm pleasantly surprised of how well we play man to man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT