ADVERTISEMENT

Does the Low Wonderlic Score Effect When Deshaun Watson is Selected?

In all honesty a 20 just means hes is on the high end of average intelligence. Unless the rules have changed its score x 2 + 60 so that would put him at 100 which is on the high end of average. According to Wonderlic about 50% of the people you meet on a daily basis have an IQ between 80 and 100 on their scale. They also say that you cant accurately judge IQ off of taking it one time(according to the test administrators from Wonderlic that gave me the test). I have taken it 3 times for job interviews. They say a better indicator is taking a average of multiple attempts. Thats why I find it funny when people throw out these numbers. These kids already know they are gonna make millions so I doubt most of them take it as serious as you or I would when being considered for a job.

Reactions: West305
between this score and his arm strength...gonna be a lot of doubters. Great college career though.

Reactions: cockofdawn
In all honesty a 20 just means hes is on the high end of average intelligence. Unless the rules have changed its score x 2 + 60 so that would put him at 100 which is on the high end of average. According to Wonderlic about 50% of the people you meet on a daily basis have an IQ between 80 and 100 on their scale. They also say that you cant accurately judge IQ off of taking it one time(according to the test administrators from Wonderlic that gave me the test). I have taken it 3 times for job interviews. They say a better indicator is taking a average of multiple attempts. Thats why I find it funny when people throw out these numbers. These kids already know they are gonna make millions so I doubt most of them take it as serious as you or I would when being considered for a job.
100 is high end of average? The American average is 98.

Didn't cj spiller score crazy low? I see Chad Kelly coming in at 22 - also looks like running backs are the dumbest overall- some pretty ignorant receivers out there too apparently

Connor Shaw would disagree
Are you saying the Bears should be added to the list? Or the fact that he went from the Browns to the Bears?

The Browns management is the worst across all the professional sports. It's insane that Haslam is letting this happen. He needs to stick to Pilot / Flying J truck stops.
It's gotten from bad to worst.

According to the NFL, wonderlic scores are important only to QBs Watson took the same classes that are handed out at North Carolina. Don't kid yourself....plus a kid who grew up in a habitat house wearing more jewelry than most humans will ever be able to buy.

Didn't cj spiller score crazy low? I see Chad Kelly coming in at 22 - also looks like running backs are the dumbest overall- some pretty ignorant receivers out there too apparently

Spiller scored a 9. For reference, the average janitor scores a 14. A score of 10 suggests literacy.

2008 All ACC Academic Team

From my experience, it would be a breeze a few years out of HS and/or if you happened to go to college right away. I went back after many years, but my core stuff was long done, so I couldn't remember everything from 20 years before. Most of us 30-40+ schlubs on here would be lucky to get a 20, anyone who just finished school with no 20-year lapse should do better

His arm strength or lack there of is what's going to cost him.

People made a big deal about him not being able to hit 50 mph during the combine drills. And then other people said it didn't matter as much because his arm strength can improve with weight training, he has a quick release and gets through his progressions quickly.

Ultimately, it will be an interesting case study to see if those velocity numbers really matter. Watson's velocity is among the worst seen at the combine since velocity stats started to be recorded in 2008. But Mike Glennon also was charted at 49 mph at the combine and the Bears just gave him a massive contract.

If I were drafting a QB, I would be very hesitant to draft a QB that scored lower on the Wonderlic than a guy named Taco! (Taco Charlton DE Michigan)

People made a big deal about him not being able to hit 50 mph during the combine drills. And then other people said it didn't matter as much because his arm strength can improve with weight training, he has a quick release and gets through his progressions quickly.

Ultimately, it will be an interesting case study to see if those velocity numbers really matter. Watson's velocity is among the worst seen at the combine since velocity stats started to be recorded in 2008. But Mike Glennon also was charted at 49 mph at the combine and the Bears just gave him a massive contract.

I think the 49 was an aberration for his numbers. ESPN Sports Science did a piece on Watson, Kiser, and Trubisky and they had his velocity number at 53.3. Not sure what caused the lower number but I dont think thats the norm for him. They also had him having the quickest release of all the QBs at 0.35 seconds.

Reactions: 3puttbogeyman
Paxton Lynch scored an 18 last year and went in the 1st round to Denver. Not sure how well he did in other measurements of the combine.

I went back 3 years and checked the QB scores. I think about 4 QBS had a 20 and Paxton Lynch had his 18. Paxton and Deshaun are the highest profiled QBS with the lowest wonderlic scores over the last 3 drafts. The top QBS of last year's draft scored in the mid 30's level.

FWIW, on the Around the NFL podcast last week, Lance Zierline, draft analyst for NFL media, said one of the major issues with Watson for at least one team is that he's "completely lost on running game & calling protections to the offensive line. It's at a zero."

Maybe a decent Wonderlic would have removed some doubt about his ability to learn?

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Trying to be objective here, he reminds me of Dak Prescott the way he throws the ball. Dak scored a 25. I expect Deshaun will be pretty good, but not as good as Dak.

Watson has been in the same type of offensive system for at least 7 years (high school and college). My question is can he adapt to a new system behind a probably bad OL?

Wow...that is the most inane attempt to sound intelligent that I have ever read. He won you a championship.....just send him to the corner with Homer and pray history does not repeat itself.

Reactions: lowcountrytiger
Really intelligence is negated in the college game as the OCs call the plays and the QB has very little responsibility of reads, especially post snap.

The QBs biggest responsibility in the college game, in todays up tempo offenses, is to get plays off as fast as they can and let someone else do the thinking for them.

So it doesn't take high intelligence at that position in the college level to win.

That being said Watson is a special talent and a hard worker. I expect he'll work his butt off and grind in the playbook to prepare himself.

All college QBs, and Watson included, struggle at the next level with looking off their intended target to freeze the safety, and they struggle with post snap reads. And don't forget, especially in Watson's situation, that in most games they are playing with the advantage of having much better talent than the opposition, in the pros most weeks talent is pretty even. It's the smart ones that win at that level.

I don't think any QB coming out in the last few years was pro ready like Andrew Luck. Dak Prescott fell into a perfect situation in Dallas but he's the elite exception, not the rule.

Reactions: IrmoRed
He scores high on the knowing how to win games scale.

So did Tommy Frazier, Tim Tebow, Matt Leinart and AJ McCarron, but that score didn't translate to the NFL. I guess it did, somewhat, for Tebow; however, after a couple of seasons he was out of the league. NFL teams want an accurate passer who knows where to throw the ball.

St. Watson, the very essence of humility, has a much larger and more relevant problem than his wonderlic score. He played in a very simplified offensive system that depends on getting the ball out very quickly, in space and on the corners, to NFL-talented receivers. Not only did he never play under center, while working on a 5-7 step drop, but in Clemson's offense he didn't have to stress himself reading defenses while under center or having to go through the progressions of 3-4 check-downs. Most of the Clemson passing reads are to one side only and that works well for a lot of teams in the college game. I certainly don't fault Dabo for using that offense, it's worked great for that program, it just doesn't translate well to the NFL. That is less an indictment on Clemson than it is on the hurry-up, no-huddle spread offenses now rampant in the NCAA. Even Boyd has admitted as much, after his NFL experiences, and he had a fantastic, record-breaking collegiate career while mentored by Chad Morris. I believe that Deshaun Watson has all of the talent and intelligence he needs to play well in the NFL. He is also very confident and cocky about his abilities in almost every interview I've seen or heard. That's OK, some of the greatest athletes in all sports don't believe that they can ever fail. It's just hilarious to me that the Clemson SID, Dabo, or both, have so desperately tried to portray him as "humble", knowing he's cocky, when he's out there telling everyone how great he is! Watson is a great athlete, a leader, and a winner. I wish him well in the NFL draft, and in his future NFL career. The bottom line, though, is that the NFL is a big business, and fan's love, sentimentality, and collegiate success always take a back seat to hard, cold facts without much risk involved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT