ADVERTISEMENT

Does this team surprise us?

I know we have had bad records the last few years, but I'm looking at so many of the transfers we have, the running backs, the return of the offensive line and some underrated defensive line players, and I think the team could surprise us and be a lot better than many people think. Last year we literally only had one reliable receiver and he was sort of a turd. If that kid from Georgia tech turns out to be a good slot receiver and a couple of these other players have come along with our new wide receivers coach, then I see us actually having a very competitive offense this year. I have always thought Aaron Sterling was a really good player and he is almost always in the backfield chasing QBs. I really don't think of winning record is inconceivable because there have been times when even at our worst we've played some really good teams close. All it really takes is one upset. We beat Auburn last year and we were literally terrible. We haven't seen a lot of these kids play, and we'll be running a new offense. I'm going to choose to be optimistic about this upcoming season and hope that some of these kids really surprise us with great play
Short answer -- I doubt it.

Reactions: cockyferg
So, once in a lifetime? You might find a couple of wins up there in history, but not many. I remember about 6 or 7 years ago we had a better team and physically whipped them up there. We were ahead and looked like we would win the game, until they threw a hail Mary pass and completed it. They then kicked a field goal to win with only seconds left on the clock.
Don’t forget the WR , who was on the ground, and caught a ricochet on 4th and long….

We lost a lot of our best players from a 2-8 team. We do have a few key guys back. Most of our players are unknown…no idea what we’ll get. I have no doubt our attitudes and morale will be better. It’ll be hard to duplicate our success in the run game but hope it’s possible. Still, we only won 2 games running the ball up and down the field.

I don’t know…I just think we are a 4 win team, 5 at best, 6 and Beamer should be SEC Coach of the Year. Score TDs instead of kicking FGs and who knows. Muschamp’s teams couldn’t do that.
if im not mistaken, they were actually quite good in the red zone. there problem was getting off their own end of the field

our season will depend on a few things but mainly qb is where we need to be good, followed by receivers and pass protection..actually, if pass protection improves then qb and receiver most likely gets better automatically.. we have solid run game and tight ends. with an aggresive defense instead of a passive defense like last year there are some good possibilities but things have to come together and might not happen this year. im anxious to find out though

I'm making a swing change and breaking in a new driver right now. Those pursuits are thankfully preventing me from engaging in foolish predictions right now.
What did you get?

I recently bought a Mavrik driver from Callaway pre-owned. (brand new, but 50% off retail) I was playing with an older Callaway driver with a smaller head and found that I was all over the place with it. This one is much more forgiving and I hit it further.

What did you get?

I recently bought a Mavrik driver from Callaway pre-owned. (brand new, but 50% off retail) I was playing with an older Callaway driver with a smaller head and found that I was all over the place with it. This one is much more forgiving and I hit it further.
I had a component driver made. It isn't a clone. It has an Integra SooooLong titanium head and an AccuFlex Evolution shaft. The club was made for me by a clubmaker down in Largo, Fl. He previously made seven hybrids for me that have been very satisfactory. I was fitted for the driver after analysis on a launch monitor. Very solid club but my swing has had a right bias lately. I've adjusted the head 1.5 degrees closed. The driver and I are dating. I hope to give it an engagement ring soon. I have a good old Ping K-15 that is really all I need, but it can't last forever.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
I know we have had bad records the last few years, but I'm looking at so many of the transfers we have, the running backs, the return of the offensive line and some underrated defensive line players, and I think the team could surprise us and be a lot better than many people think. Last year we literally only had one reliable receiver and he was sort of a turd. If that kid from Georgia tech turns out to be a good slot receiver and a couple of these other players have come along with our new wide receivers coach, then I see us actually having a very competitive offense this year. I have always thought Aaron Sterling was a really good player and he is almost always in the backfield chasing QBs. I really don't think of winning record is inconceivable because there have been times when even at our worst we've played some really good teams close. All it really takes is one upset. We beat Auburn last year and we were literally terrible. We haven't seen a lot of these kids play, and we'll be running a new offense. I'm going to choose to be optimistic about this upcoming season and hope that some of these kids really surprise us with great play
Depends on what you think a surprise would be. If 7 wins would be a surprise, then my opinion is yes they will.

I had a component driver made. It isn't a clone. It has an Integra SooooLong titanium head and an AccuFlex Evolution shaft. The club was made for me by a clubmaker down in Largo, Fl. He previously made seven hybrids for me that have been very satisfactory. I was fitted for the driver after analysis on a launch monitor. Very solid club but my swing has had a right bias lately. I've adjusted the head 1.5 degrees closed. The driver and I are dating. I hope to give it an engagement ring soon. I have a good old Ping K-15 that is really all I need, but it can't last forever.
Did you go to Florida for the fitting or were you able to do it locally?

One thing trumps all from last season and that is no Beergut on the sideline who had one foot out the door(by choice)and one hand on the ATM machine code that RT gave him. I agree with posters that stated that he was not a hard worker. I mean look at him. Is that the body of someone who works hard?

As one poster stated, we should now have a decent WR coach and an OC who wants to be here and doesn't see USC as a filler job. Always optimistic at this time of year and if you aren't just picture how we would feel if Beerbelly was still coach.

Shane has it all it seems. Has been around winning pgms all his life and is no dummy. We may surprise a lot of people. HITH did Kentucky surpass USC? Actually I think we all know the answer to that ?. It's time to put Kentucky back where they belong-slopping the hogs and feeding the chickens.

One thing trumps all from last season and that is no Beergut on the sideline who had one foot out the door(by choice)and one hand on the ATM machine code that RT gave him. I agree with posters that stated that he was not a hard worker. I mean look at him. Is that the body of someone who works hard?

As one poster stated, we should now have a decent WR coach and an OC who wants to be here and doesn't see USC as a filler job. Always optimistic at this time of year and if you aren't just picture how we would feel if Beerbelly was still coach.

Shane has it all it seems. Has been around winning pgms all his life and is no dummy. We may surprise a lot of people. HITH did Kentucky surpass USC? Actually I think we all know the answer to that ?. It's time to put Kentucky back where they belong-slopping the hogs and feeding the chickens.
You left out dating their sisters and marrying their cousins.

Did you go to Florida for the fitting or were you able to do it locally?
I was in Florida, in the guy's shop. We were vacationing across the bridge at Indian Rocks Beach and I saw him during that week. I go to that area often and I see him when I want anything done. I've known him for about 15 years. I also saw him back in January and had a nine-hybrid made that has an Integra head. I don't see how anything could be more solid. I've both picked up things in a day or two, or if getting components requires some time, he ships clubs to me. He says that Covid has made getting a lot of things timely problematic, but I waited for this club less than two weeks.

What did you get?

That's a nice club. I've had some good luck with Callaway and Ping drivers - and their clubs in general. I haven't found a Taylormade driver yet that I can hit and I've tried them all, at least a little, including the Sim 2. In all my years of playing golf, I've reached one incontrovertible conclusion: the shaft is by for the most important component.

I hit ok with most decent drivers. If I'm off course, its usually due to my swing and not the club. Presently upgraded to the newest Ping and it serves me well. (Sorry to hijack the thread.)

That's a nice club. I've had some good luck with Callaway and Ping drivers - and their clubs in general. I haven't found a Taylormade driver yet that I can hit and I've tried them all, at least a little, including the Sim 2. In all my years of playing golf, I've reached one incontrovertible conclusion: the shaft is by for the most important component.
I've found that to be true as well. After that would be loft and lie and aesthetics. I hit the ball high so I have to have low loft. But I just recently found out that has a lot to do with the shaft and where it flexes. The Mavrik is a 9 degree driver but I hit it higher than my 3 wood which has 14.5 degrees of loft. The difference has to be the shaft. (It may also be the way I swing, the length of the shaft and the height of the tee.)

If they manage to win 6 games they'll surprise me. I hope I'm surprised.

I have owned Wilson, Cobra, Ping, Adams, and Callaway drivers in my life. 10 years ago I played golf in North Carolina with Tom Owens, Jr. (yes, the son of the bb player for SC) His neighbor was a Callaway rep and a Taylormade rep was visiting. I had a chance to try woods, hybrid and irons for both manufacturers and that sold me on Callaway.

Does this team surprise? I don't know. What I hope to see is a team that has a good blend of aggressiveness and discipline. If so, the football program will be in VERY good hands for the next 2 decades.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueCord86
As long as we don't crap the bed in our first 2 games that should be easy wins then I think a 6 win season is possible. We have 4 games that should be definite wins and about 4 more that are winnable. Split those and we're bowling

Seriously not just trying to be argumentative, but honestly, I think in December both sides are going to say "I told you so".

The board will be filled with posts about how 5 wins is so much better than 2 wins, blatantly ignoring the schedule change. Other posters will talk about effort and grit that is so "obvious" that you have to be dumb not to see it etc.

Their detractors will point to losing games against non traditional powers, or missing out on a bowl.

And each side will be convinced the other is morons for not seeing it the way they do.
AgedCrispHamadryad-size_restricted.gif

Bad QB play follows Muschamp coached teams. He’s not calling the plays, but he’s the one telling the OC how aggressive to be. It follows him like injuries. I believe Muschamp is the biggest Head Coach bust of all-time. He was a can’t miss guy in the early 2000’s. I don’t think anyone could’ve every imagined how bad he’d be as a HC.
The signs were there for sure after his stint at UF, I mean you would have to really blind to have hired him after that,
Wait, what was that ?, Oops, Ok, never mind.

Last edited:
The signs were there for sure after his stint at UF, I mean you would have to really blind to have hired him after that,
Wait, what was that ?, Oops, Ok, never mind.
Of course. By the time he left Florida everyone knew he was bad. But as I said, in the early 2000’s he was the big name up and coming. Nobody would’ve predicted how bad he would end up.

I disagree with some of this. EJ was a huge loss, and horn was as well, but other than that our secondary was terrible anyway. We have some good transfersand some good recruits. I think our secondary will actually be better. Sterling is returning, and we have a couple of solid Dlinemen returning. With good coaching they may surprise you. Shi was good but not a game changer. We have some good receivers coming in. Plus we actually have a quality WR coach now. We may both be right we may both be wrong. Who knows?
So you are pinning all your hopes on a bunch of freshman and transfers who have never played a single game in the SEC? Sorry, I don't buy that argument. History tell us Freshman rarely turn a program around. Most do not even play a significant amount unless the team is desperate (which we are at the moment). By necessity some of these guys will be thrown into the fire, but don't expect it to be pretty next year. Maybe the following year with a full year of experience in the SEC they will be a good group, but I doubt this year will be as good as last year at this point.

You say the secondary was terrible last year so we are better off with a bunch of new guys coming in, but as a goup, they were better than the dline, and you say the dline will be solid??? I don't get that illogical reasoning at all.

Shi was the ONLY thing we had last year at WR. With him gone, we will have nothing at WR returning. Also, I don't think the WR coach will play a single down next year.

I believe our secondary will be more aggressive. The bend-don't-break approach seemed to force our DBs play on their heels. We might have less NFL-ready talent at the DB spot, but I believe they will be more hawkish.

So you are pinning all your hopes on a bunch of freshman and transfers who have never played a single game in the SEC? Sorry, I don't buy that argument. History tell us Freshman rarely turn a program around. Most do not even play a significant amount unless the team is desperate (which we are at the moment). By necessity some of these guys will be thrown into the fire, but don't expect it to be pretty next year. Maybe the following year with a full year of experience in the SEC they will be a good group, but I doubt this year will be as good as last year at this point.

You say the secondary was terrible last year so we are better off with a bunch of new guys coming in, but as a goup, they were better than the dline, and you say the dline will be solid??? I don't get that illogical reasoning at all.

Shi was the ONLY thing we had last year at WR. With him gone, we will have nothing at WR returning. Also, I don't think the WR coach will play a single down next year.
We have some solid Dlinemen returning, and outside of Horn, we had a poor secondary. Some of the guys coming in aren't freshmen, they're transfers with downs played. I asked a question and you gave your answer. Thanks for the input. I didn't say I expected us to be good, I asked the question if the new team can surprise us. It's possible that we have a good season, and it's also possible we go 2-8 again. I'm CHOOSING to be optimistic. If we crash and burn this year feel free to come me back to this post in December and say "I told you so."

Reactions: Silver_Coconut

I’m with you on this. A lot of people keep talking about our DL is good but they ranked like 96th in run defense. In my opinion our DT’s are a weak link.

Reactions: JGH 35
I don't know what idiot created this thread, but I think we have our answer. Yes, this team has surprised, but not exactly in the way he expected. This team is surprisingly worse offensively than I could have thought under Zeb's play.

I don't know what idiot created this thread, but I think we have our answer. Yes, this team has surprised, but not exactly in the way he expected. This team is surprisingly worse offensively than I could have thought under Zeb's play.
Get a life.

Reactions: jeff2001
It's the surprise that says, "I'M STILL ALIVE! AND HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!"

ENJOY IT, while both parts of the equation last.

Reactions: jeff2001
Get a life.
I have one. I can certainly send you vids of me living my life if you'd like. Next time, bring some substance to your commentary beyond that of petulant middle school girl. We can all have our opinions of the level of play we're seeing from scholarshiped athletes. I think the offense is stagnant, but the defense is playing well like I predicted they would

• Haha
Reactions: Silver_Coconut
I have one. I can certainly send you vids of me living my life if you'd like. Next time, bring some substance to your commentary beyond that of petulant middle school girl. We can all have our opinions of the level of play we're seeing from scholarshiped athletes. I think the offense is stagnant, but the defense is playing well like I predicted they would
I find it humorous that you call out silver_coconut for the "substance of their commentary" when your original response was "I don't know what idiot created this thread".
I'm sure we'd all love to see videos of you "living your life". Please share!

• Haha
Reactions: funktavious
I find it humorous that you call out silver_coconut for the "substance of their commentary" when your original response was "I don't know what idiot created this thread".
I'm sure we'd all love to see videos of you "living your life". Please share!
I was being facetious because I was the one who started this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT