ADVERTISEMENT

Does Will deserve an Extension

castlesl

Aug 4, 2006
If Will goes .500 or better, should he get the obligatory 1 yr extension to his contract? Many coaches have contracts that go well beyond 4 to 5 years. I don’t recall what the original term was on Will’s. Many have a year added every year. I am not talking for more money, just whatever the last year currently would be, he would get that same amount. What say you?

Reactions: FootballCityTATER
The rule of thumb is you have to have 4 years for recruiting, most do 5. We’d send a pretty bad message to recruits if we keep him around but don’t extend his contract.

Does he deserve it? No. Should we do it? If he goes over .500 this year, add a year. less than .500...I’m fine sending a bad message considering our class isn’t shaping up great anyway.

Just my $.02, but think it's time to move on. If we're thinking .500 is "moving in the right direction in year 5", our expectations are not high enough. The SEC currently only has 4 teams in the Top 25 (re point, a-she-she has 6) so we're not in a banner year. ANd the SEC-East (except UGA) is not anywhere close to what it used to be.
I just don't see the progress in year 5 to give hope for 9-10 win teams being in the near future.

Just my $.02, but think it's time to move on. If we're thinking .500 is "moving in the right direction in year 5", our expectations are not high enough. The SEC currently only has 4 teams in the Top 25 (re point, a-she-she has 6) so we're not in a banner year. ANd the SEC-East (except UGA) is not anywhere close to what it used to be.
I just don't see the progress in year 5 to give hope for 9-10 win teams being in the near future.

.500 this year would likely be 7-5 any other year. An improvement off of 4-8 in which we kept him. His job would be safe. But I still agree with your point.

If we keep him, yes to keep it at 4 for recruiting. But knock the buyout down below $10M. Even at 5-5, it’s not going to be like he will have other suitors calling, even if Sexton and RichRod float something in the press, it’s not real. USC should have the leverage in the negotiations and reduce that obscene buyout.

I wanna see where this train goes with Bobo. I want the coaching staff as a whole to have the benefit of not being hampered by a dead-coach-walking- recruiting disadvantage. For that reason, I’m okay with an extension, but for Pete’s-sake negotiate the buyout down. Certainly it can be done. We just need someone other than Ray to negotiate it.

Yup. Because it's common for teams to have terrible seasons then follow it up with 10 win seasons with no intermediary. Getting back to .500 is indeed progress in a positive direction. Staying at around .500 , however, definitely would not be.

Let him beat a good team first. As it's shaping up, our only chance to beat a good team this year is UGA.

Reactions: olpolecat
No no and no . Amazing what one win will do . Last year we beat UGA In very similar fashion (tons of turnovers) and weeks later we get dominated by App State . Let the season play out and then make the call . If he can knock off two of LSU , UGA, TAMU , or Bama (yeah right) and run the table on everyone else then maybe . If we think 5-5 is progress then we are just settling for being a middle of the road program , which I think many fan have . Honestly in the conference this year it’s Bama and UGA head and shoulders above the rest and everybody (besides Vandy) is just clumped in the middle . Every game other than those two are winnable .

Muschamp has proven he is not the guy to take this program to the next level. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

The Auburn win was nice but it reminds me of his first year when we somehow dominated the turnover battle in several games. This is not a sustainable path to long term success.

If this team is successful this year it will be because of the addition of Bobo and another assistant or two, and recruiting. Muschamp is a coordinator, not a head coach. It is always interesting to watch the defenders of this mess he has created to come out of the woodworks attacking those who do not like the way this program has been headed. Let us win another one or two games and the attacks will increase. These coaches are paid millions of dollars to win games.

No he doesnt not. And also why is it anytime USC wins. It's always because the team is overrated. We will see where Auburn is at the end of the season.
Its not always. Beating GA last year was a GREAT win. If you have watched this Auburn team play, you can easily see they were ranked because of their name only. Nix has regressed, and the rest of the team has been very inconsistent. Had they played UNC this year as scheduled, they would have taken the L.

If Will goes .500 or better, should he get the obligatory 1 yr extension to his contract? Many coaches have contracts that go well beyond 4 to 5 years. I don’t recall what the original term was on Will’s. Many have a year added every year. I am not talking for more money, just whatever the last year currently would be, he would get that same amount. What say you?
Absolutely, yes. 2 or 3 years would be better.

This far into his tenure, we should be further along. My vote would be to not give an extension and if we don't drastically improve next year, we need to look at a buyout. He has his players and his coaches. No excuse for a below average team. He has been given every tool to succeed. We have facilities, loyal support, pay extremely well and play in the best conference in America.

No he does not. And also why is it anytime USC wins. It's always because the team is overrated. We will see where Auburn is at the end of the season.

I agree. I don't think Auburn was overrated at all coming into this game. Though they were favored, most of the media pundits I read had us winning this game. Nobody really viewed Auburn as a good team going into this game.

Next year - if it's evident he has the corner turned.

Last edited:
Exactly why you don't do anything this year. And I don't give a crap if he runs the table. This year is Bizarro World.

Yes. Next year will be more telling. When all teams have had equal preparation time and equal personnel availability, etc.

You can extend the contract for a year and not amend the buyout provision. So his contract would be increased by a year, but the buyout would continue along the same track. This would be the sensible thing to do.

Reactions: SouthCarolinagal
No. Taking any major action this year is not a good idea. The only thing any team might do is fire a coach if a program goes into a major meltdown following years of decline. This year is only a test of a coach's ability to manage through external chaos. None of it matters here. Tanner is committed to Boom through his tenure. So, decent year, he will extend. He's looking for anything positive he can get from the football program.

Like the commercial says: No. No. No. A thousand times no.

Reactions: Brace1
I know one of the House Taters is a jokester, but when the consensus among their fan base is 100% behind keeping Muschamp, then that ain’t good. Now, I admit, I said the same thing once about Dabo, but none of us knew then what was happening with SOS a couple of years later. If SOS was 20 years younger, and still at USC, Clemson would still be waiting for that 2nd title. Dabo took advantage in recruiting, selling the brand, everything, Steve-O took a long vaction. And Boom is not doing enough either. Might be recruiting hi a$$ of, but not landing the foundation like Dilbert was when we were kicking their tails up and down the field. That’s the unfortunate reality with this staff. For them, 8-4 would be a banner year, not a literal banner, definitely not a 200 foot one for the world to see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT