ADVERTISEMENT

Does Will deserve an Extension

michael-scott-no.gif

We have no choice but to extend the contract each year to keep it at least a 4 year contract. But that can be done without increasing any pay and leaving the buyout clause as is. Recruits want to see a coach who has at least a 4 year contract so they have some assurance the coach they sign with will still be there for their college career. Not keeping the contract at 4 or 5 years could be disastrous for the program. If he has a 3 year contract and as a result has a horrible recruiting class then gets fired next year or the next, you leave the cupboard bare for the next coach and this scenario starts all over again. When the next coach can't win with little talent the idiots among us will start screaming to fire him too. Besides, what kind of coach are we going to attract to come to a school with no talent? It is going to be hard enough to get a good quality coach as it is. We sure as hell don't need to handicap it further.

We should rewrite his contract to make it completely incentive-based.
It should be a "5 year contract" in theory.
In reality, we should have the right to fire him for cause. Like nearly every other job on Earth.

If Will goes .500 or better, should he get the obligatory 1 yr extension to his contract? Many coaches have contracts that go well beyond 4 to 5 years. I don’t recall what the original term was on Will’s. Many have a year added every year. I am not talking for more money, just whatever the last year currently would be, he would get that same amount. What say you?

We have no choice but to extend the contract each year to keep it at least a 4 year contract. But that can be done without increasing any pay and leaving the buyout clause as is. Recruits want to see a coach who has at least a 4 year contract so they have some assurance the coach they sign with will still be there for their college career. Not keeping the contract at 4 or 5 years could be disastrous for the program. If he has a 3 year contract and as a result has a horrible recruiting class then gets fired next year or the next, you leave the cupboard bare for the next coach and this scenario starts all over again. When the next coach can't win with little talent the idiots among us will start screaming to fire him too. Besides, what kind of coach are we going to attract to come to a school with no talent? It is going to be hard enough to get a good quality coach as it is. We sure as hell don't need to handicap it further.
?

You don't know that. You just want to believe that.

Why do you keep responding over and over to the same comment? I want Muschamp gone. How many times to I have to make that clear to you? Only way Muschamp was gone in a 7-5 season is if, both, Tanner and Muschamp were gone. He wasn’t getting fired for 7-5. Not by Tanner. There’s no way.

Reactions: SOSUSC
So this is from an article in SI discussing contract extensions.
( The whole article is a good read)

South Carolina (15): After going 9–4 in 2017 and beating Michigan in the Outback Bowl, Will Muschamp got a $1 million-a-year raise to $4.2 million. A year later, he got an extension through 2024 (11 days after that deal was announced, the Gamecocks lost the Belk Bowl 34–0 to Virginia to finish 7–6). Since then, South Carolina is 6–10 with two notable wins: upsetting Georgia last year and holding off Auburn Saturday. The nine-win season that got South Carolina administrators so excited came four seasons after Steve Spurrier competed a third straight 11-win campaign. Muschamp’s buyout currently stands at $13.2 million.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/19/college-football-coach-contracts-jeremy-pruitt

This team has talent. That is undeniable. They also will fight. But the head coaching is abysmal. With the right coach we should have beaten UT. With the right coach the stupid clock management we witnessed at UF would never have happened. We should be 4-0.

Muschamp needs to be a recruiting coordinator at best, not even DC

Reactions: cocknjax
If Will goes .500 or better, should he get the obligatory 1 yr extension to his contract? Many coaches have contracts that go well beyond 4 to 5 years. I don’t recall what the original term was on Will’s. Many have a year added every year. I am not talking for more money, just whatever the last year currently would be, he would get that same amount. What say you?
This is a Joke right. 😂🤣

I think a majority on the BOT and the president want him gone. It doesn't matter. The buyout means he's staying.

You are probably right that they want him gone, You are also right that they are not spending that money this year.

Which forces a contract extension for an underperforming coach. No contract extension, then he's a lame duck. It doesn't end well either way.
At some point, they are going to have to negotiate a settlement.
You're right. You can see recruiting taking a major hit because every recruit is hearing about his job being in jeopardy.

ADVERTISEMENT