ADVERTISEMENT

Domer here in piece, about Golson

IrishBlooded

Oct 2, 2009
Don't know if he will end up a GameCock or not. Thought for those of you that didn't really see last year to explain a bit about it though.

Without making a TL;DR thread here you go.

Young line, didn't gel
put the defense on the field more
defense started to get injured, allowed points to be scored (I can't explain how many injuries happened last year)
put the offense under the gun more
Golson took it to be the leader and push plays
Turnovers happened.

He is by no means a bad QB. And most schools would list him easily in the 2 deep. I would say about 40% of the turn overs really were on him. In full disclosure I do prefer the other QB ND will have, just because I prefer the run game. And Golson is a gun slinger. However he was 1 pass short of the NCAA record for straight in game completions last year. And had some great plays. Here is the two videos to watch.

Don't know if he will end up a GameCock or not. Thought for those of you that didn't really see last year to explain a bit about it though.

Young line, didn't gel
defense started to get injured, allowed points to be scored (I can't explain how many injuries happened last year)
Turnovers happened.

He is by no means a bad QB. And most schools would list him easily in the 2 deep. I would say about 40% of the turn overs really were on him. In full disclosure I do prefer the other QB ND will have, just because I prefer the run game. And Golson is a gun slinger. However he was 1 pass short of the NCAA record for straight in game completions last year. And had some great plays. Here is the two videos to watch.

dumber here in peace?

Reactions: Anna Mule
Thanks for info. I watched him in HS here and he was very good. He also played well at ND at times. Know he also had some not so good games but He could help us

Reactions: IrishBlooded
If he does go there, you will have a good serviceable QB to teach your younger players with. And I am sure there will be a couple of games he will get a big enough lead to bow out and give next year's star game reps. I think he is about an 8 or 9 win QB. Anything beyond that you will need the defense to do it for you.

Young line, didn't gel
Turnovers happened.

Sorry you are here only in "piece" as opposed to your whole self. I guess you are only half the man you used to be.

Reactions: Sy Ableman
This will be interesting to watch.
Golson is a mixed bag. A great athlete, do doubt. But he seems to go from looking like a Heisman trophy candidate to making really stupid on field decisions. It will make for a fascinating ride, no doubt, especially if he does come to USC.

Irish-blooded, thanks for your post. Those being rude to you here are almost certainly Clemson fans, as they are afraid of your team, and their mamas did not provide adequate home-training.

Reactions: micman98
Our defense put our offense under the gun 50x more last year than ND's did. The bottom line is, Golson is a good QB but he is not good enough to come in here from day one and be the starter no questions asked. There will be a QB battle in the summer that would have to happen and I don't think Golson is going to want to have to prove himself at all.

Irish-blooded, thanks for your post. Those being rude to you here are almost certainly Clemson fans, as they are afraid of your team, and their mamas did not provide adequate home-training.
This. They like to come here, act like azzholes and give everyone the impression that Gamecocks are jerks. Thanks for the info, good stuff for a message board.

This. They like to come here, act like azzholes and give everyone the impression that Gamecocks are jerks. Thanks for the info, good stuff for a message board.

Please. Ask him for his pic of our trophy case. He likes to throw that one around on the other board where he is a mod. Try not to be so gullible with people who show up over here, they are not your friend.

I swear IB, are you Golson's agent or something?

I always liked him. Have met him. He is well spoken, head on his shoulders kind of guy. That year off humbled him. And I know most SCar fans don't have much reason to watch tape on ND players. So I thought I would come over and show some of what the package is. Right now all ESPIN wants to talk about was the turn overs, and the year off the team. They don't want to discuss the numbers of anything else. No reason to not share what knowledge I have. I prefer Malik. But that is only because I prefer the offense that he leads to. Not the player himself.

Young line, didn't gel
Turnovers happened.

Thanks for the info ! I love the fact that Golson can stay in the pocket or release for big gains, has a quick release, and can air it out. His game is what Mitch currently lacks but will hopefully gain with experience. Now about those INT's, Spurrier will be quick to yank him after #2. I hope we get him. Now on another subject, can we borrow #7 and #88 from you guys ?

Thanks for the info ! I love the fact that Golson can stay in the pocket or release for big gains, has a quick release, and can air it out. His game is what Mitch currently lacks but will hopefully gain with experience. Now about those INT's, Spurrier will be quick to yank him after #2. I hope we get him. Now on another subject, can we borrow #7 and #88 from you guys ?

This was Golson in the first game of the season. By far one of the coolest throws he had all season.
golson.0.gif

Fuller (#7) was 3rd in the FBS during the regular season in touchdowns last year. With almost no hype. Which is awesome. And #88 Corey Robinson, son of 'The Admiral' David Robinson. Just needs a little more weight so he can be just a touch more aggressive. And then he can be something of a difference maker on the field. Will be very interesting to see how they get used on a more run dominated read option that the new starting QB will be running.

Would you take Golson over Dylan? If yes then we need him here at South Carolina!

Young line, didn't gel
Turnovers happened.

Here in "piece"?

Sure would like to see what this post would look like if you were here in whole. :eek:

Everyone who harps on the turnovers seems to forget Golson passed for 3,400 yards and 29 TDs last year. Also rushed for 8 TDs.

Would you take Golson over Dylan? If yes then we need him here at South Carolina!
No, that is not the question. The question is whether Spurrier thinks he is better than his QBs. No one cares what "You" thinks about Golson, whoever the hell that is.

At this point it may not really matter. If what is being said is true, he is going to Felony St.

Sux if Golson goes to Criminoles but -----

within the SEC bylaws. Bizarrely, it appears that the SEC rules only make way for transfers with multiple seasons of eligibility, not graduate transfer cases, without acquiring a waiver.

“A student-athlete who, upon enrollment at the certifying institution, has less than two years of eligibility remaining, is not eligible for financial aid, practice or competition at the member institution. A member institution may request a waiver from the Conference office for a student-athlete transferring from an institution discontinuing a sport, provided that the student-athlete cannot complete his or her eligibility at the institution discontinuing the sport, or for a student-athlete transferring for the purpose of enrolling in an academic program not offered at the institution from which he or she is transferring.”

He might be on other teams 2 deep, but it's very likely he would be our starter because he has a LOT more experience than any of our current qb's do.

Let me ask this... If Golson ended up at Carolina and took over the starting job in August and play for 1 year. Wouldn't we be in the same boat again next year??

Yes but if Golson came here, (not likely at this point), doesnt mean he would start or get all of the PT like Dylan did. At minimum I would think Mitch would play some. Nunez could redshirt and McIlwain would be here as well. Would help bridge the gap between having no QBs with experience to at least Mitch getting some experience.

Sux if Golson goes to Criminoles but -----

within the SEC bylaws. Bizarrely, it appears that the SEC rules only make way for transfers with multiple seasons of eligibility, not graduate transfer cases, without acquiring a waiver.

“A student-athlete who, upon enrollment at the certifying institution, has less than two years of eligibility remaining, is not eligible for financial aid, practice or competition at the member institution. A member institution may request a waiver from the Conference office for a student-athlete transferring from an institution discontinuing a sport, provided that the student-athlete cannot complete his or her eligibility at the institution discontinuing the sport, or for a student-athlete transferring for the purpose of enrolling in an academic program not offered at the institution from which he or she is transferring.”

They released some more about this. Here was the quote I had on it. (This was released yesterday after Golson visited the Gators)

"When the league revised its graduate transfer rule in 2014 to allow players with one year of eligibility remaining to transfer and play immediately, it included language in the rule that banned players who had “significant disciplinary issues” at the previous program. Such players can still transfer to an SEC school if they receive a waiver from the league office.

Golson could qualify for such a waiver because the spirit of the rule was designed to eliminate players who were running away from disciplinary action. It was instituted because league officials were embarrassed when Ole Miss used the rule in 2010 to take quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, who had been kicked off the team at Oregon during that off-season. Golson is not running from a suspension. He served his punishment and then returned to the school that punished him."

So it seems more to stop players from running to a SEC in order to escape a punishment from another.

LINK TO THE FULL STORY

I have no idea where he will end up. Though I would like to see him as a GameCock. But hopefully that will help clear up things, and so you guys know in the future if this situation comes up again.

Some of you crack me up....4 mos to learn a completely new offense if he did come here and some of you apparently think he will step on campus and play. Could he learn a few plays and step in for those? Sure! Is it worth it for him or for us? I doubt it if you think about the situation very much.

So we have a QB without must experience on the field...That is true....But he does know the plays and that would put him ahead of anyone walking in the door no matter how good/great they propose to be....

Based on the kids abilities I look for him to be at FSU as he and his talent are better suited for them......He has a year to make an impression if he wants to get to NFL and would you want to do that in the SEC or the ACC?????

Yeah FSU may play a couple of tougher OOC games but they aren't playing LSU, Bama, UF, SC, GA each and every week

Regardless of what is really going on, it makes Spurrier look like he doesn't want to make the effort. Based on the reality of the football recruiting disaster that we saw this spring, this is going to be seen as another characteristic of Spurrier's lazy recruiting efforts. On the other hand, offering Golson probably wouldn't make a difference, because he wasn't coming here anyway. I suppose that we should be thankful that Spurrier made a statement about it to the media.

He has a year to make an impression if he wants to get to NFL and would you want to do that in the SEC or the ACC?????

I'll take the ACC for 1000 Alex........

I agree that it is more likely that he transfers to an ACC school, easier competition, easier to make a mark, and SEC transfer rules put all SEC schools at a dis-advantage. That said I would like to get him. If he didn't start he would be a great change up for Mitch. If we are considering using Nunez then Golson could take those snaps plus some. His mobility could help our o-line imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT