ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t look now but recruiting is looking good.

I agree! Need to get a commitment from the QB Longeran (sp)
We are in on several nice prospects at several positions
Need to show improvement on the field this year and recruiting will take care of itself
No it won’t, the days of $$$ driving recruiting are here. The have and the have nots will become clearer and wider. A&M is a perfect example, they have never been in a playoff or won the SEC yet they arguably just signed the greatest class of all time due to NIL.

Reactions: Cockytalk84
No it won’t, the days of $$$ driving recruiting are here. The have and the have nots will become clearer and wider. A&M is a perfect example, they have never been in a playoff or won the SEC yet they arguably just signed the greatest class of all time due to NIL.
The NIL is known by everyone at this point but there are many prospects throughout the country. I believe we have a staff that can recruit and adjust to NIL. No one saying it will be easy

This NIL is going to end up being a double edged sword. Some kids will be able to handle the money, most won't. Some high profile recruits were hard to keep under control before they got paid, throw a million bucks in the bank into the mix and see how much harder it is. A coach tries to insert any sort of discipline and assert their authority and the transfer portal awaits. This is going to come down to far more than just money. Its going to come down to which coaches can juggle this new paradigm along with all the traditional responsibilities, and player relationships (ie: egoes) best. Sure... Alabama will always be so loaded it will be next man up if one of their 5 star kids decides to get froggy with Saban but there will be some chances for other teams to slip by some "better funded" teams because a couple of their bmoc's decided they would rather spend more time socializing then working out, or showing up on time for practice. We have more if a chance to move up than some think.

I love how there are currently two recruiting threads… One is saying our recruiting is going great, the other is saying our recruiting is horrible…

Welcome to Gamecock country! :)

This made me laugh. I was about to post something very similar.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Recruiting isn't exactly horrible, but there is a segment of the fan base that thinks every time Beamer tweets "Welcome Home" that he is reeling in another 5 star game changer. Over the last few days, had two come across the board that had only a couple, if any, Power 5 offers. And none from anyone of relevance. USC is recruiting well enough to keep up with maybe middle of the pack SEC, but if folks think the program is gaining ground on anybody the program needs to beat to move up in the world, they are going to sorely disappointed

middle of pack players with elite talent at select skill positions including qb was enough to get clemson a conference crown, no reason it cant also happen here. rattler is better than 90% qb’s out there, including uga and clemson so…
This isn’t the ACC, it won’t get an SEC conference crown. You need horses, LOTS of them on a roster to win the SEC.

Not saying the recruiting is going great, but I won’t be surprised if we have a good season. Spencer Rattler has the best arm talent that we have had since A1. We have experience on the line of scrimmage. My main concern is linebacker and we even have older players there. Just hope Sherrod Greene can hold up. It’s been a rough two years for him. A little worried about the speed at corner with the exception of Cam Smith.

Not saying the recruiting is going great, but I won’t be surprised if we have a good season. Spencer Rattler has the best arm talent that we have had since A1. We have experience on the line of scrimmage. My main concern is linebacker and we even have older players there. Just hope Sherrod Greene can hold up. It’s been a rough two years for him. A little worried about the speed at corner with the exception of Cam Smith.
You can have the best QB in the league but if your receivers don't have the talent to get open it wont matter. People seem to think the QB can do it all. All of our best teams of the past had one thing in common, (elite wide receivers.)

Reactions: 67gamecock
middle of pack players with elite talent at select skill positions including qb was enough to get clemson a conference crown, no reason it cant also happen here. rattler is better than 90% qb’s out there, including uga and clemson so…

The SEC isn't high school. If you can't kill people up front, it doesn't matter how good your skill players are. Saban has had plenty of stars, but they keys to their success are there folks up front dragging people all over the field. Folks can talk about Lawrence and Watson all they want. And they were great QBs. But Clemsons fortune really changed when they started landing those folks nobody could block up front on the defensive line.

The SEC isn't high school. If you can't kill people up front, it doesn't matter how good your skill players are. Saban has had plenty of stars, but they keys to their success are there folks up front dragging people all over the field. Folks can talk about Lawrence and Watson all they want. And they were great QBs. But Clemsons fortune really changed when they started landing those folks nobody could block up front on the defensive line.

Sad, but true ^^^. There is no error in the old adage: 'You gotta have the hosses up front to win big consistently'

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
You can have the best QB in the league but if your receivers don't have the talent to get open it wont matter. People seem to think the QB can do it all. All of our best teams of the past had one thing in common, (elite wide receivers.)
Josh Vann is as experienced a receiver as you will find in the conference and the light finally came on for him last year. Jaheim Bell is a budding star IMO wherever you put him (Tight End, Wide Receiver, even Running Back). A key will be the tranfer from James Madison. Yes, he is coming from an FCS, but he put up big numbers there. I think a lot of people are so beaten down by the Muschamp era that they fail to realize that we have a good deal of talent on this team that, for once, decided to stick around for the most part.

Josh Vann is as experienced a receiver as you will find in the conference and the light finally came on for him last year. Jaheim Bell is a budding star IMO wherever you put him (Tight End, Wide Receiver, even Running Back). A key will be the tranfer from James Madison. Yes, he is coming from an FCS, but he put up big numbers there. I think a lot of people are so beaten down by the Muschamp era that they fail to realize that we have a good deal of talent on this team that, for once, decided to stick around for the most part.
I was definitely beaten down by the Mushchamp era.

When you step back and look without the Twitter goggles on…… We seem to be middle of the pack in recruiting on paper.

A decade after the Spurrier era fell flat, we are still rebuilding here. Thank Ray Tanner for that.

Recruiting isn't exactly horrible, but there is a segment of the fan base that thinks every time Beamer tweets "Welcome Home" that he is reeling in another 5 star game changer. Over the last few days, had two come across the board that had only a couple, if any, Power 5 offers. And none from anyone of relevance. USC is recruiting well enough to keep up with maybe middle of the pack SEC, but if folks think the program is gaining ground on anybody the program needs to beat to move up in the world, they are going to sorely disappointed
Sadly, this is 100% on-point!

That being said, I'm still excited for what Beamer is accomplishing and building. I believe we will trend upward in competitiveness and recruiting this year and next. That will lead to winning.

But Clemsons fortune really changed when they started landing those folks nobody could block up front on the defensive line.
Yep. You basically had three seconds to decipher the blitz and get rid of it or you were sacked. Or try to run when all four D linemen were penetrating your front.

What is he supposed to do? Say hey we just got this new recruit who aint great but at least he committed to us?? Let's be a little realistic. He is tryimng to build a program and that takes some selling.

I think he needs to actually get a big win on the recruiting trail. Then I could leave with the antics on the lesser recruits.

When you step back and look without the Twitter goggles on…… We seem to be middle of the pack in recruiting on paper.

A decade after the Spurrier era fell flat, we are still rebuilding here. Thank Ray Tanner for that.

That's the problem. We aren't even middle of the pack on paper. We're nearly the very bottom.

Reactions: Cockytalk84
You are fighting with Vandy for the worst class in the SEC? Meanwhile Clemson is assembling a top 3 class . How do you possibly spin this as a positive??? Lol
Clemson isn’t signing nearly the cream of the crop as they were, it’s early yet so wait till you see the classes of Bama, UGA, Texas, A&M, all of them will pass you by. You’ll still recruit top 15 but the shine you had has washed off some.

We are about where we expect to be on the NIL food chain. Clemson is coming back down to reality. In five years, recruiting will be about the same as us.

Clemson isn’t signing nearly the cream of the crop as they were, it’s early yet so wait till you see the classes of Bama, UGA, Texas, A&M, all of them will pass you by. You’ll still recruit top 15 but the shine you had has washed off some.

This was a pretty major back and forth last year (based off memory). The #clemexit was killing their class and SC was ahead or even with them for a while.

Then CU ended up with a top ten class, and SC fell back to 20. (Highschool signees).

I think things will probably end up like that again, like normal for both teams going forward.

Keep laughing.

After having 6 five stars in 2018, 2 in 2019, 5 in 2020, and 2 in 2021. 15 in 4 years. 1 last year. None so far this year. Per rivals.

Nothing at all so far for 2024, which very unusual for Clemson in the past 10 years. Clemson usually has a handful of big commits two years out.

Clemson won't be able to maintain the level of recruiting from the past now that everyone can pay.

We are about where we expect to be on the NIL food chain. Clemson is coming back down to reality. In five years, recruiting will be about the same as us.
My man I admire the optimism but you are whistling through the graveyard bigly with this take. Unless Dabo gets caught with some of Watson's masseuse girls, they aren't slowing down at all. It took them losing both coodinators in a manner of weeks to take on any water at all in recruiting, and now they're back to killing it again. They have 14 commitments and 12 of them are 4-stars. We have 8 commitments and none of them are 4-stars. And they're apparently about to add some more 4/5 star type kids in the coming weeks.

Worst thing to happen to us was Dabo waking up and having that big June official visit weekend. If he starts playing the transfer portal at some point it will only get worse for us. With the way they're recruiting and the way Shane is currently recruiting, the gap is getting wider, not closer.

I believe Dabo will be gone in a couple of years since he lost his coordinators and the transfer portal is aggravating him. If he can’t win 11-12 a year minimum he may not be able to take it.

• Haha
Reactions: LazyIslander
"good"? So far our recruiting this cycle is pretty much dog shit. I won't judge it until it's over. Hopefully we will hit some homeruns via transfer portal again, b/c if you don't count the new transfer portal, Beamer has had our worst recruit classes since Holtz era. Still would rather roll with Beamer 100 out of 100 times than Muschamp.

My man I admire the optimism but you are whistling through the graveyard bigly with this take. Unless Dabo gets caught with some of Watson's masseuse girls, they aren't slowing down at all. It took them losing both coodinators in a manner of weeks to take on any water at all in recruiting, and now they're back to killing it again. They have 14 commitments and 12 of them are 4-stars. We have 8 commitments and none of them are 4-stars. And they're apparently about to add some more 4/5 star type kids in the coming weeks.

Worst thing to happen to us was Dabo waking up and having that big June official visit weekend. If he starts playing the transfer portal at some point it will only get worse for us. With the way they're recruiting and the way Shane is currently recruiting, the gap is getting wider, not closer.

Clemson won't have the money to load up on 5 stars like they have in the past, and they won't have the money to keep top players and coaches. Lots of other schools have much bigger and richer alumni bases. It will take some time to work through the system, but I believe it will happen.

As for us, I have no confidence in our leadership. Every dime of NIL money should go to football and every dime of coaching money above the bare minimum should go to football. We've proven we don't have that kind of commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT