ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t look now but recruiting is looking good.

Every coach has a plateau. Some plateaus are higher then others. It took Nick Saban several years to reach his plateau at Alabama, but once he did, we discovered that his plateau was considerably higher than most.
We don't yet know where Shane Beamer's plateau is, but I an pretty sure he hasn't reached it yet.

Enjoy the ride!!!
What??? He went undefeated (12-0) in his second season. Where do you get that BS from?

middle of pack players with elite talent at select skill positions including qb was enough to get clemson a conference crown, no reason it cant also happen here. rattler is better than 90% qb’s out there, including uga and clemson so…
Funny how people remember things differently. Clemson’s first ACC Championship of the Swinney Era was 2011. I went back and looked at that roster of “middle of the pack players” and found at least 23 players that went on to play in the NFL. DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins, Andre Ellington, Dwayne Allen, Chandler Catanzaro just to name a few. Significantly more than any USC team in history.

Meanwhile the upstate team just picked up one of the top OL in the country right in Texas and A&M's backyard. But yeahhh the recruiting is going great in Gamecock country lol 3 Star Central

Meanwhile the upstate team just picked up one of the top OL in the country right in Texas and A&M's backyard. But yeahhh the recruiting is going great in Gamecock country lol 3 Star Central
Who? Sewell? Reed? I certainly think that is really overstating how good they are, particularly Sewell. Texas gave Sewell an offer, but didn't really push very hard. Clemson is getting their usual 4-stars out of Georgia. Up to seven already from that state. Clemson is far from done.

Boulware's defense of Wilkins holey pokey on the field was even more weird.

"That kind of stuff annoys me," Boulware said, via Brian Hamilton of SI.com. “The game is so serious and it’s so locked in out there, you try to do stuff just to have fun, to break up the seriousness of the game. People are trying to say ‘sexual assault’ — people that say that have either never played football, have never been in a locker room and seen the weird stuff. We’re together every day for years and years and years. You get very comfortable around each other. I know there’s going to be that one person [who says] ‘Well, I played football and I never did that.’ You either sucked at football, you had no friends in the locker room, or you were the person that went in the bathroom stall to go change because you were scared to shower with the team.

“We do that stuff just to have fun out there, just to mess with the team. I know none of those players care. . . . .’Do you all practice this at Clemson?’ No, we practice beating y’all by 49 points. That’s something I did on the side.

“It’s annoying, because the players don’t care. . . . .That’s for the media to blow that up. Yes, Christian went — he went about four fingers deep. He went a little too far. But when I’m messing with somebody, poking them in the belly button or grabbing someone’s butt, it’s just to break up the seriousness of the game. The people who are freaking out about that have never played the game, or were just losers who didn’t have any friends when they played the game. It’s annoying.”

Via TheState.com, Boulware added this gem: “Me and Christian have fun out there. That’s how we play the game. . . . It’s something we do, just have fun. It might look weird or homosexual to others, but it’s just fun out there.”

Whatever, dude. You do you.
I played football. I didn't know I sucked at it until just now because nobody on any team I was on ever stuck their fingers in my ass.

Who? Sewell? Reed? I certainly think that is really overstating how good they are, particularly Sewell. Texas gave Sewell an offer, but didn't really push very hard. Clemson is getting their usual 4-stars out of Georgia. Up to seven already from that state. Clemson is far from done.

Looked it up, Sewell. The write up had him #2 or #3 guard or interior lineman from different services.

I'm sure a different service will rate him differently though.

That sounds odd for Texas to not push for him unless they saw something others didn't.

Reactions: slab4617
Looked it up, Sewell. The write up had him #2 or #3 guard or interior lineman from different services.

I'm sure a different service will rate him differently though.

That sounds odd for Texas to not push for him unless they saw something others didn't.
I think the Texas OL coach (who came from Alabama) wants his interior lineman huge and tackles tall and athletic. He has interior commitments from guards weighing 345 and 340, while his tackle commitments are 6ft6 and 6ft5. It is really hard to project OL. Different coaches want different attributes for different style offenses. I imagine they would have taken Sewell, but he never sounded like a priority.

247 has Markus Deal as the No.6 overall OL. Texas is going after him hard to play DT not OL. The guy Texas wants the most is Miles McVay out of St Louis. 6ft6, 358, that's big. Yet 247 has him the 41st OL, while Sewell was 17.

Reactions: Lurker123
I think the Texas OL coach (who came from Alabama) wants his interior lineman huge and tackles tall and athletic. He has interior commitments from guards weighing 345 and 340, while his tackle commitments are 6ft6 and 6ft5. It is really hard to project OL. Different coaches want different attributes for different style offenses. I imagine they would have taken Sewell, but he never sounded like a priority.

247 has Markus Deal as the No.6 overall OL. Texas is going after him hard to play DT not OL. The guy Texas wants the most is Miles McVay out of St Louis. 6ft6, 358, that's big. Yet 247 has him the 41st OL, while Sewell was 17.

Texas has definitely shown itself to be better at evaluating talent than Clemson over the years.

Can't view today's recruiting through old lenses. For Beamer, he has to have consistent results before he starts landing those higher stars. Right now he is selling hopes and dreams. However, he gets to even some of that out through the portal.

For Clemson, Dabo has already shown some adaptation with his June camp. It has resulted in one of the hottest recruiting stretches he has had. Loading up on the lines and at linebacker. Clemson has Klubnik and now Vizzina signed, one of them will work out to be pretty dang good, just need some consistent receivers to catch for them.

The other thing to consider is that ncaaf cannot keep going at this pace. It is just a matter of time in the next couple years where there will be some sort of restrictions I believe.

Texas has definitely shown itself to be better at evaluating talent than Clemson over the years.
We had some bad coaches under Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. The guy making OL evaluations now is Kyle Flood the O-line coach that we hired away from Alabama. When he left his line there had just won the Joe Moore Award and was anchored by two consensus first-team All-Americans in Outland Trophy winner LT Alex Leatherwood and Rimington Trophy winner C Landon Dickerson.

Can't view today's recruiting through old lenses. For Beamer, he has to have consistent results before he starts landing those higher stars. Right now he is selling hopes and dreams. However, he gets to even some of that out through the portal.

For Clemson, Dabo has already shown some adaptation with his June camp. It has resulted in one of the hottest recruiting stretches he has had. Loading up on the lines and at linebacker. Clemson has Klubnik and now Vizzina signed, one of them will work out to be pretty dang good, just need some consistent receivers to catch for them.

The other thing to consider is that ncaaf cannot keep going at this pace. It is just a matter of time in the next couple years where there will be some sort of restrictions I believe.
Gotta be restrictions. What’s going on now is chaotic at best

Gotta be restrictions. What’s going on now is chaotic at best
I agree with you, but I don't think you're getting that toothpaste back in the tube..... There will be screaming, yelling, and gnashing of teeth if the ncaa tries to restrict anything now - jmo.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I agree with you, but I don't think you're getting that toothpaste back in the tube..... There will be screaming, yelling, and gnashing of teeth if the ncaa tries to restrict anything now - jmo.

I think a really easy restriction would be back to sitting out a year. The free agency feel would disappear quickly.

I don’t believe sitting out a year is ever going to return…don’t see how they could legally hold that up in court if they tried

Reactions: 67gamecock
I don’t believe sitting out a year is ever going to return…don’t see how they could legally hold that up in court if they tried

I'll admit to not being up on the legality of it being tossed, but I bet they could write an enforceable rule on it.

But there's admittedly two aspects. Can you make an enforceable rule? And would that rule make any difference?

I could research the legality standpoint, but for now, I do believe sitting out a year would headb off the free agent free for all that is just starting.

“Can't view today's recruiting through old lenses. For Beamer, he has to have consistent results before he starts landing those higher stars. Right now he is selling hopes and dreams. However, he gets to even some of that out through the portal.”

True. A new coach has a window to sell the future before the future finally presents itself to recruits in the form of actual results. Hope he at least matches last years win total. But really needs to increase.

What??? He went undefeated (12-0) in his second season. Where do you get that BS from?
"During his second year as head coach of the Tide, Saban led his team from a sub-par season in 2007 to a perfect 12–0 regular season record. "
OK, it only took Saban 1 year to reach his plateau at Alabama, not "several" as I posted. My larger point still stands.

Funny how people remember things differently. Clemson’s first ACC Championship of the Swinney Era was 2011. I went back and looked at that roster of “middle of the pack players” and found at least 23 players that went on to play in the NFL. DeAndre Hopkins, Martavis Bryant, Sammy Watkins, Andre Ellington, Dwayne Allen, Chandler Catanzaro just to name a few. Significantly more than any USC team in history.
Not significantly more. Count how many of our guys from 2010 team that beat Bama played on Sunday’s. It’s damn close to that number. Difference is we don’t do it consistently.

We don’t know how good either Sewell or Reed will be! Overstating, Both are rated high nationally and both are from the state of Texas! With Manning coming in I would want the best OL I could possibly get even as a back up! If your your 2nd string is as good as your 1st team, then you should have great team a NC caliber team

I’m no attorney, thank God, but I see a lot of precedent for allowing this. If they are going to be treated as “pros” in some regard, there are plenty of regulations about who can play and when they can play.

As long as we're on board that he's doing this out of his self interest and not out of a profound belief these kids are actual big gets.
You won’t know if they are big gets for a few years. Deebo Samuel told me to say that.

Boulware's defense of Wilkins holey pokey on the field was even more weird.

"That kind of stuff annoys me," Boulware said, via Brian Hamilton of SI.com. “The game is so serious and it’s so locked in out there, you try to do stuff just to have fun, to break up the seriousness of the game. People are trying to say ‘sexual assault’ — people that say that have either never played football, have never been in a locker room and seen the weird stuff. We’re together every day for years and years and years. You get very comfortable around each other. I know there’s going to be that one person [who says] ‘Well, I played football and I never did that.’ You either sucked at football, you had no friends in the locker room, or you were the person that went in the bathroom stall to go change because you were scared to shower with the team.

“We do that stuff just to have fun out there, just to mess with the team. I know none of those players care. . . . .’Do you all practice this at Clemson?’ No, we practice beating y’all by 49 points. That’s something I did on the side.

“It’s annoying, because the players don’t care. . . . .That’s for the media to blow that up. Yes, Christian went — he went about four fingers deep. He went a little too far. But when I’m messing with somebody, poking them in the belly button or grabbing someone’s butt, it’s just to break up the seriousness of the game. The people who are freaking out about that have never played the game, or were just losers who didn’t have any friends when they played the game. It’s annoying.”

Via TheState.com, Boulware added this gem: “Me and Christian have fun out there. That’s how we play the game. . . . It’s something we do, just have fun. It might look weird or homosexual to others, but it’s just fun out there.”

Whatever, dude. You do you.
Dear Christian…..I was a very good player, played at a high level, showered with the team, had lots of friends, AND never had the desire to stick my fingers in a guy’s butt (on or off the field). You are a clown.

Great recruiting is a 24/7 job. There is no such thing as an early time in recruiting. You also gotta hope some the best players you are after commit early so they can attract other players. After all, good players like to play with other good players if possible. You know the old saying "What have you done for me lately?"

Great recruiting is a 24/7 job. There is no such thing as an early time in recruiting. You also gotta hope some the best players you are after commit early so they can attract other players. After all, good players like to play with other good players if possible. You know the old saying "What have you done for me lately?"
Momentum is important.

Yep. It’s like being a territory sales rep. You can’t ignore a customer when they’re not buying and then hound them to death when they’re about to. You better be calling on them steadily.

Reactions: 67gamecock
The two commitments we've gotten thus far this month are both 4-star rated per Rivals, as well as per the other site. That is, they were 4-star rated prior to committing to South Carolina, which means that for the next ratings update, they both will drop. I think their rating pre-South Carolina commitment gives the better idea of their overall ratings. But it shows that it was a solid start to July recruiting season, to say the least.

That is, at least until the next ratings update comes out......

The two commitments we've gotten thus far this month are both 4-star rated per Rivals, as well as per the other site. That is, they were 4-star rated prior to committing to South Carolina, which means that for the next ratings update, they both will drop. I think their rating pre-South Carolina commitment gives the better idea of their overall ratings. But it shows that it was a solid start to July recruiting season, to say the least.

That is, at least until the next ratings update comes out......
What do you mean they will drop?

Since this thread was started, we've gotten 14 of the 19 commitments we now have. Six (6) of those commitments are currently 4-star rated per Rivals, consisting of all 4-star commits we now current have. Five of those 6 are Line of Scrimmage prospects....

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Now 20th in rivals…..17th ON3.

Ladies an gentleman….. Elvis and USCWatson21 have left the building.

Reactions: Ward Jr
Notice how tall the DBs are. 6ft1, 6ft1, and 6ft3. Small fast CBs just can't cover the 6ft4 and 6ft5 WRs everyone now has. The days of fast 5ft9 CBs like Darrell Green is past.

Reactions: Neanderthal
As are the days of the 5’8” point guards. Unless a Muggsy Boggs, Mister Jennings or Spud Webb comes along. They can play in any era. A great 5’9” CB can still play, but he’d have to be exceptional. Games evolve. Maybe they’ll come back around.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT