ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t shoot the message bearer, but….

I get defending your dad. This statement and his earlier remarks, sound like an 11 year old who idolizes his dad. He is incapable of seeing Dad’s feet of clay.
His remarks, however, do more harm than good for himself and his dad.

This is my kind and gentle observation. I will try to withhold further statements

His son is the same jerk he was before his dad was hired when he posted a childish slam against UofSC because he thought his dad wasn't going to get the job. It was the first of many indicators that the school should have stayed away from this family.

Thats the thing about incompetence.......it usually catches up with you. No matter how much whining is done.

Some are acting like Caslen was drafted and had no choice but to accept the job. If he was so smart, he would have read the room and realized he wasn't a fit. I did and I'm not that clever. The only thing we should feel bad about is the reputation of our University that was damaged by a political power move. As far as his sons, I have zero sympathy. They trashed us on social media and deserve all the backlash they're getting. One thing I found out early when I moved to South Carolina is that if you embrace the people, they will embrace you back. I always felt welcomed here and a part of the family because I truly love the state and the people. The Caslens never got this simple concept.

I’ve asked this several times, but never gotten answers. What are some of the policies and decisions he made that people are critical of? Now, I don’t want to hear the “California” thing or the plagiarism. Give me some real examples.

You would think after embarrassing themselves before his hiring that they would have learn to keep their opinions to themselves. They trashed the university before he got here and they are trashing it after he's gone. Honestly it's more of a reflection of their family than it is USC. Their father had messed up big time for a job he obviously wasn't qualified for, I have no sympathy for his kids, they come across as entitled in these rants.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
You would think after embarrassing themselves before his hiring that they would have learn to keep their opinions to themselves. They trashed the university before he got here and they are trashing it after he's gone. Honestly it's more of a reflection of their family than it is USC. Their father had messed up big time for a job he obviously wasn't qualified for, I have no sympathy for his kids, they come across as entitled in these rants.
So it's not possible that he's right?

I’ve asked this several times, but never gotten answers. What are some of the policies and decisions he made that people are critical of? Now, I don’t want to hear the “California” thing or the plagiarism. Give me some real examples.
Darla Moore. It was his decision not to acknowledge her mother's death until she called out the university. You can spin it any way you want to but he fell down.

Doesn’t the fact that his dad ended up the job the way he did pretty much prove the point?
I have no idea. Im just asking questions. I'd like some insight on some of the decisions and policies that he implemented while in office.

Darla Moore. It was his decision not to acknowledge her mother's death until she called out the university. You can spin it any way you want to but he fell down.
I don’t know what that means. Can you give me a little more of the story.

To a great degree, l believe it is that other than his COVID policy, he had no vision for the university. He was playing serious catch up just trying to understand a research university until COVID hit.
Numerous times he said publicly and to staff I know, Something to effect “I never knew how much fundraising needed to be done and how much time it took.” One of the many large knocks on him was he came with basically zero fund raising, grant proposal, corporate sponsorship experience.
He did little to no outreach to faculty, admin, or students. Partly because that was military chain of command process and partly because he is very introverted.
This next item is related and is totally unfair, but it affected him. His wife never moved to Columbia. She visited but had little presence and no impact on campus. Mrs. Pastides was the best First Lady this school has ever had.

He really made very few friends and allies on campus. The relationships he nurtured were with the board and pols.

As to his Covid policy it was brilliantly conceived but implemented horribly and was corrupted by the political process. It relied on student buy in, they did not buy in at all and there were no consequences.
With no buy in, Caslen presented to the public, that their set aside COVID rooms were empty implying there was no COVID problem on campus. The truth was COVID was running rampant, students just didn’t care. It was disingenuous at best but it fit the political climate in this state.
There are several examples about planned policies that I would like to talk about but they were told in confidence and have no bearing now.

I don’t know what that means. Can you give me a little more of the story.

Caslen and Dorn Smith knew of the death The day before the funeral. They chose not to contact the BOT, nor attend the funeral, or even send flowers. When Darla blew, Caslen said he had a letter typed and was supposed to be sent out the next day, some 5 days after the funeral

Everyday I log on here and see our fans denouncing how toxic and dysfunctional the University is.
Confirmation bias perhaps? I see the same posts but there is a silver lining even to this incident we get back one of the best presidents we have had in Pastides who made some good moves while in office, knows how to navigate the political climate of this job and is very friendly to the athletics side fo things as well. The nay sayers will always look for the negatives and there are plenty obviously, but you can find plenty of positives if you look for them as well.

Reactions: rogue cock
To a great degree, l believe it is that other than his COVID policy, he had no vision for the university. He was playing serious catch up just trying to understand a research university until COVID hit.
Numerous times he said publicly and to staff I know, Something to effect “I never knew how much fundraising needed to be done and how much time it took.” One of the many large knocks on him was he came with basically zero fund raising, grant proposal, corporate sponsorship experience.
He did little to no outreach to faculty, admin, or students. Partly because that was military chain of command process and partly because he is very introverted.
This next item is related and is totally unfair, but it affected him. His wife never moved to Columbia. She visited but had little presence and no impact on campus. Mrs. Pastides was the best First Lady this school has ever had.

He really made very few friends and allies on campus. The relationships he nurtured were with the board and pols.

As to his Covid policy it was brilliantly conceived but implemented horribly and was corrupted by the political process. It relied on student buy in, they did not buy in at all and there were no consequences.
With no buy in, Caslen presented to the public, that their set aside COVID rooms were empty implying there was no COVID problem on campus. The truth was COVID was running rampant, students just didn’t care. It was disingenuous at best but it fit the political climate in this state.
There are several examples about planned policies that I would like to talk about but they were told in confidence and have no bearing now.
Thanks for the reply. So I’m gathering that he and his wife were introverted, he was unaware how much gladhanding he’d have to do to fundraise, and COVID policy. What were the details of his COVID policy?

Thanks, best detailed explanation I’ve seen

Caslen and Dorn Smith knew of the death The day before the funeral. They chose not to contact the BOT, nor attend the funeral, or even send flowers. When Darla blew, Caslen said he had a letter typed and was supposed to be sent out the next day, some 5 days after the funeral
That sounds somewhat petty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT