ADVERTISEMENT

Don Rickles

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
“It’s a true story, so help me God,” he began obligingly. “Sinatra was headlining at the Sands, and I was with this girl having dinner in the lounge. She wasn’t anybody I would bring home to my mother, but I really wanted to score big. Frank was in the lounge at his table with Lena Horne and some other celebrities and all his security guards. And my date says, ‘My God, there’s Frank Sinatra! Do you know him?’

“I said, ‘Sure, he’s a friend of mine.’ Which he was. But I made it sound like my whole life. ‘We’re like brothers!’ She didn’t believe me. So I said, ‘Wait here, sweetheart,’ and I went over to Frank’s table. ‘What do you want, Bullethead?’ he said. That was his nickname for me. I told him I was trying to impress this girl and would he do me a very big favor and come over and just say hello. He said, ‘For you, Bullethead, I’ll do it.'”

“Five minutes later, Sinatra strolled over and said, ‘Don, how the hell are you?’

“And Don Rickles looked up and replied, ‘Not now, Frank. Can’t you see I’m with somebody?'”

Lol!

That's a great story, I'd heard it before.

Random AF to post it here.
I heard it told on Carson's show many years ago. It might have been the one in which Rickles and Sinatra were both guests - the only time Sinatra was ever a guest on the show. When he came out on stage, Rickles bowed down to Sinatra and when Rickles sat down and started talking, he pretended to relay greetings to Sinatra from some Mafia Don. Sinatra didn't seem amused but it was funny stuff at the time.

I heard it told on Carson's show many years ago. It might have been the one in which Rickles and Sinatra were both guests - the only time Sinatra was ever a guest on the show. When he came out on stage, Rickles bowed down to Sinatra and when Rickles sat down and started talking, he pretended to relay greetings to Sinatra from some Mafia Don. Sinatra didn't seem amused but it was funny stuff at the time.
The world could use a few like him about now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT