ADVERTISEMENT

Done.

I’m fortunate to say I figure this out about 10 years ago. Even during our great run, I was content attending the occasional game but still realized that too much of my time and feelings were tied up in Gamecock football.

I still enjoy watching but nights like this are easier when I’m in my living room.

Same here, I've gradually lost interest over the past 10 years. I have been attending 1 game a year at most since Mush got here, mainly just to spend time with my sons. But didn't attend any last year and of course none this year, not sure I'll go back. I haven't even watched most of them on TV, I have better things to do, more enjoyable. I've been a huge supporter for longer than I want to mention, but I see no positive way forward with Tanner as AD, and certainly not with Mush.

I backed away from gamecock club and season tickets shortly after the muschamp hire. Very disappointed with that hire. Shouldn’t have been interviewed. Then, the dumbass buyouts and extensions. Aren’t we paying BMac about a million this year? Poorly managed and poorly coached. Ray must go.

Concur. I easily quit watching this and watched the WS. I only would do that before if I had a dog in the fight. Of course it took several years to get this. So glad I did. Hurry up baseball season,

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
All the people who aren't Gamecock Club members are here to call you quitters and bad fans because you're no longer Gamecock Club members.

And yes, the irony is entirely lost on them.

Remember when some of our games were on pay per view and we had to see the game at a bar? It was really bad when the other fans were at the bar with you and we were losing.

I mean guys, we are not the only Chicago Cub type fan base out there... we are one of many... we grew up fans, we will be fans, I think the prices are outrageous for sure, whether we are winning or losing. Fandome is a curse we all suffer from. I think the administration can tell the fans would not be happy with the results, but what's going to change it immediately?'

Last week all I ready is about PJ Fleck, and sure I had taken a sip of that Kool-Aid.. until this week... which showed it doesn't matter how committed a coach is, how fired up he is, how innovative he is... if the players are "rowing that damn boat" or not... A motivated team is still going to get beat by less coaching and better players. Even with the great Spurrier we were pulling one 5 star a year in the glorious 3 year run. Clemson has always recruited better for whatever reason than we have.. money, cheating, better cheerleaders on the sidelines. who knows.. I don't think Ed "O" is any better than our guy.. he just has 4 and 5 star players given where the LSU program is.. if we would have one that SEC championship game I think we wouldn't be having this talk.. we'd be bitching about only winning 10 games a year... Clemson is the only team in the ACC... we are in the SEC there are at least 8 other places a 5* would rather go based on location and football winning tradition. Very few players are like Marcus that want to build up the "Home" school.

Reactions: coolcock2001
By halftime the pain and embarrassment was too much to endure. I switched to another game and got updates from the scroll across the bottom of the screen. This has all but become a weekly tradition for me over the last several years and I know I'm not alone. Change is badly needed for the sake of us fans who have suffered through miserable seasons for far too long. We deserve better.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
When I see posts like this, I often wonder how many actually stand by their word, since the majority of posts such as this one are made in the heat of the moment when we're getting our butts handed to us.
And what's more interesting about posts like this is we have been like this for as long as I can remember. Sure we have a couple of years where we seem to turn the corner but I don't see where this year is much different then what's been going on here over the last 100 years.

I can sympathize with the spirit of this thread. I used to be what you might call an overly avid fan(my wife thought so :)). Now I catch myself turning my head in the opposite direction when I see GC gear at WM. Haven't bought any new GC gear in years.

I backed away from gamecock club and season tickets shortly after the muschamp hire. Very disappointed with that hire. Shouldn’t have been interviewed. Then, the dumbass buyouts and extensions. Aren’t we paying BMac about a million this year? Poorly managed and poorly coached. Ray must go.
Million a year for an underperforming position. Spending money wisely the garnet way

When I see posts like this, I often wonder how many actually stand by their word, since the majority of posts such as this one are made in the heat of the moment when we're getting our butts handed to us.
Overall I would agree with you but there are things that are different now:

Ticket sales are down since Muschamp was hired. Clearly people have actually followed through with this even before the 4-8 season. While I’ve never moved my seats I always like to look and I have a heck of a lot more good options if I wanted to pay for them now than I did prior to 2016.

With people not going to games this season it is easier to just walk away. You can always come back and unless you had lower level 50 yard line seats and go to all the away games you aren’t losing that much on the point system.

Real fans don't continue to support the shit show we are putting on the field without holding people accountable. It starts at the top and it's OBVIOUS we have a failing head coach.

exactly...by pulling back, it is for the long term health of the program.

I am going to watch the ATM game, a game that we should win and need to win at home. If we lose this game I am done with Gamecock football until a better product is available.

Now all we have is basketball to look forward to.

Reactions: jonesz21
I feel that most fans come to a natural end to spending lots of money on their teams (outside of periods of constant winning - which ain’t most programs).

I think about going to games though, and gathering to watch games at home, and just everything that goes into being a fan, and very little of the experience happens on the field for me. The community, the tailgating, the parties, the family bonding, the alma mater - that’s what keeps me coming back more than what’s on the field. Hopefully my daughters will remember all the time we spent together watching the games together as fondly as I do.

10 years ago when a tater fan would spout off unprovoked (I never do). I would come right back in some form of defense.

Yesterday when a tater spouted off about our debacle I added in that LSU never punted once. There’s nothing relevant to come back with anymore so my best defense is to halfway agree with them.

There's a definite change in the air. No fan I know has any enthusiasm at all. I honestly don't remember the pulse of the fanbase being like this. We learned with Spurrier what is possible and all of us now know we wont get remotely back close to that with the Muskrat.

Most fans just feel helpless now. We dont have the donors these other schools do. We are literally stuck with this guy due to horrible contract negotiations. Doom and gloom.

That being said, I expect sports in general to be in trouble for awhile. Things will not be back to normal next year. Maybe we adapt and benefit. Doubt it based off of our traditional conservative methods but you never know.

Done with the Gamecock club.
Done with buying season tickets.
Done with paying to park.
Done with buying over-priced concessions.
Done with spending money on seat cushions, car flags, etc.

Tanner just called me and he said you'll be back....

5362224.jpg

Same here, I've gradually lost interest over the past 10 years. I have been attending 1 game a year at most since Mush got here, mainly just to spend time with my sons. But didn't attend any last year and of course none this year, not sure I'll go back. I haven't even watched most of them on TV, I have better things to do, more enjoyable. I've been a huge supporter for longer than I want to mention, but I see no positive way forward with Tanner as AD, and certainly not with Mush.

It took the birth of my kids to make me back away. It was gradual.

We could save lots of money if we go with a "Just Participation Athletics Program". The focus would be on having teams that are not expected to win games, just participate. We could hire coaches that already have jobs in the private sector, and have them work with our teams on a part-time basis. We wouldn't have to worry about recruiting for top notch athletes. First consideration would go to students who just want to play. We could save lots of money, and to hell with Klemzun and all the other programs that are just there for winning.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT