ADVERTISEMENT

Don't really understand the anti-Texas sentiment

Would the OP be ok with Texas coming here and keeping the Longhorns network all to themselves? They think they're above everybody else. Will they try to take over the SEC? Maybe not now but 10, 15, 20 years from now. They will be a pain in the SEC ass.
Well, all the reporting so far has agreed that UT has already agreed to give up the LHN as part of the move to the SEC so thats already been done. That also further strengthens the SEC's position with ESPN/ABC/Disney because the LHN will be merged with the SEC Network.

Why would it bother anyone that the Longhorns think they are better than everyone else? Hate to break it to you but Alabama thinks the same thing and much in the SEC already caters to the Tide. Heck, UGA thinks they are better than everyone else too for some reason but who cares.

Well, all the reporting so far has agreed that UT has already agreed to give up the LHN as part of the move to the SEC so thats already been done. That also further strengthens the SEC's position with ESPN/ABC/Disney because the LHN will be merged with the SEC Network.

Why would it bother anyone that the Longhorns think they are better than everyone else? Hate to break it to you but Alabama thinks the same thing and much in the SEC already caters to the Tide. Heck, UGA thinks they are better than everyone else too for some reason but who cares.
I keep hearing that, but I dont see it. What does the SEC do just for Bama ?

I'm seeing a lot of Texas posters use the word 'scared' a lot. Why not try the liberal tactic and just start calling these people Texasphobes? :)

I think what you are missing is that why should the other teams start to get ready to 'keep Texas in check'? What kind of healthy relationship is that if you go into it knowingly that there will be big problems? The SEC has thrived purely because everyone is keeping each other's best interest at heart.

Regardless of the history of the Southwest conference. It's a known fact that the Texas Longhorn network play rubbed a lot of the Big 12 members the wrong way.

You can't fault Texas trying to make their money but it does show how quickly they are to go about any decisions only worrying about their own self interest.

How long will it take for Texas to start claiming Vanderbilt or another school who's football team isn't doing well doesn't deserve equal share of the money coming in from the TV deals?
While the LHN rubbed a lot of folk the wrong way, remember the history. Texas tried to get the rest of the Big 12 to form a conference TV network like the SEC has and already had at the time. The Pac-10 had one too. Despite Texas supposedly running the Big 12, it couldn't get everyone in line to do that. Then Texas asked OU to partner with it on a network, but they dithered. Texas gave up and got its own, then others in the Big 12 were jealous and it rubbed them the wrong way. Despite mostly broadcasting Texas baseball, girl's softball, girl's volleyball, tennis, golf, men's and women's basketball and replaying old games. I don't see Texas in the wrong there.

Texas just isn't going to have the votes to seek to diminish Vanderbilt's share. But I do agree somewhat. I don't think either Texas or OU are going to have some of the same attitudes you prize. Texas fans won't chant SEC, SEC, SEC after hearing an announcement of some other SEC team's win (unless done ironically to mock the Aggies). In personality, we won't be much like Texas A&M that has embraced SEC as its mantra and a part of its ego. But don't think it will just be Texas, OU will have the same attitude and maybe more so.

But I am not sure Georgia, Florida and LSU are quite as unselfish as you might fool yourself to think. Otherwise wouldn't Florida not seek to block Florida State from the SEC and Georgia not block Georgia Tech? Even on these boards isn't the discussion of Clemson to the SEC about how it would be bad for SC? I haven't seen a single poster here say: "I know it would be bad for SC, but it would be good for the conference, so we should be unselfish and promote Clemson to the SEC."

Would the OP be ok with Texas coming here and keeping the Longhorns network all to themselves? They think they're above everybody else. Will they try to take over the SEC? Maybe not now but 10, 15, 20 years from now. They will be a pain in the SEC ass.

While I would love to keep the LHN, it has been the obstacle to Texas moving conferences, not just to the SEC, but the Pac-10 and Big Ten as well. It was only when Texas put giving up the LHN on the table, not an easy give, that the SEC was ready to talk. I am sure that will be one of the iron clad terms of the deal between Texas and the SEC and in reality the entity really calling all the shots here, i.e. Disney. The LHN going away is just a prerequisite to this deal, it is the big carrot Texas is giving up to make it happen. That is why OU is so happy, Texas is the one making the major concession that gets OU into the SEC. Yet Texas is the one called selfish by SC posters.

Well then win as many football games as Bama. Plus bama isnt really winning big in any other sport except for softball.
The point is, due to all their football championships, Alabama has more clout. SC will have that too if they win a bunch of NCs. But everything isn't doled out equally. Your premise was Alabama didn't get any extras, they clearly do.

Last edited:
I keep hearing that, but I dont see it. What does the SEC do just for Bama ?
From my view, Bama gets pretty sweet schedule treatment. Also, if you don't follow all the league and SEC Network social media accounts, you should. Bama gets a huge, outweighed volume of content on all of them...way more than any other school. Add to that the league office being in Birmingham and the baseball tournament being in Bama's backyard every year.

From my view, Bama gets pretty sweet schedule treatment. Also, if you don't follow all the league and SEC Network social media accounts, you should. Bama gets a huge, outweighed volume of content on all of them...way more than any other school. Add to that the league office being in Birmingham and the baseball tournament being in Bama's backyard every year.

I don't think Texas cares about the league office, but if Texas does push on any particular issue, it might be the baseball tournament location. So maybe Texas interference won't always be a bad thing? I guess we mainly care about Omaha on that score.

Pretty sweet schedule treatment like what? They play everybody in the west and then the east champ. Yall are just making stuff up.

This guy… coming to a stadium near you.

ap090105027768_1jpg

Ok ….
Austin is the only saving grace in all of Texas, heck George Strait wrote a song called Run about leaving Dallas, and Houston is worse.
second it’s not barbecue with out pig, this is easy to understand but hard for folks to comprehend. I can’t fix this.

They got the Big XII to institute a "Horns Down" penalty because it hurts their feelings. And you wonder why people dislike them?
Post of the year so far right here*^^^

Battleship is OK especially in comparison to most of our Pickens neighbors.

In closing change ain’t looking for friends so welcome to the new kids, hope it hurts 😎

And that's benefited Bama baseball how exactly?

While the LHN rubbed a lot of folk the wrong way, remember the history. Texas tried to get the rest of the Big 12 to form a conference TV network like the SEC has and already had at the time. The Pac-10 had one too. Despite Texas supposedly running the Big 12, it couldn't get everyone in line to do that. Then Texas asked OU to partner with it on a network, but they dithered. Texas gave up and got its own, then others in the Big 12 were jealous and it rubbed them the wrong way. Despite mostly broadcasting Texas baseball, girl's softball, girl's volleyball, tennis, golf, men's and women's basketball and replaying old games. I don't see Texas in the wrong there.

Texas just isn't going to have the votes to seek to diminish Vanderbilt's share. But I do agree somewhat. I don't think either Texas or OU are going to have some of the same attitudes you prize. Texas fans won't chant SEC, SEC, SEC after hearing an announcement of some other SEC team's win (unless done ironically to mock the Aggies). In personality, we won't be much like Texas A&M that has embraced SEC as its mantra and a part of its ego. But don't think it will just be Texas, OU will have the same attitude and maybe more so.

But I am not sure Georgia, Florida and LSU are quite as unselfish as you might fool yourself to think. Otherwise wouldn't Florida not seek to block Florida State from the SEC and Georgia not block Georgia Tech? Even on these boards isn't the discussion of Clemson to the SEC about how it would be bad for SC? I haven't seen a single poster here say: "I know it would be bad for SC, but it would be good for the conference, so we should be unselfish and promote Clemson to the SEC."
As for the last part of your post; there are posters here that realize that there is some good out of Clempson joining.

It would be good for more SEC teams to have a rivalry game like Alabama/Auburn to end the season with another conference opponent.

Still anyone saying it's nothing but positives for ANY team to join the modern day SEC is just fooling themselves.

As for the last part of your post; there are posters here that realize that there is some good out of Clempson joining.
Yeah, but not a one of them has described it as knowing it is bad for South Carolina, but good for the conference, so South Carolina should be unselfish and take a bullet for the conference. They just describe some positives from Clemson joining generally.

They get to play near home even if not that good a team themselves. But it isn't so much how it helps Alabama as how spreading it around the conference a bit would be good for others. If Alabama is so unselfish and all.

Not sure that I am saying or believe it has had a major impact for Bama baseball but in a conversation/list of ways the SEC at times seems to favor Alabama, it rightfully is part of that list.

Many leagues move their baseball tourney around. Why doesnt the SEC?

Not sure that I am saying or believe it has had a major impact for Bama baseball but in a conversation/list of ways the SEC at times seems to favor Alabama, it rightfully is part of that list.

Many leagues move their baseball tourney around. Why doesnt the SEC?
They tried that in the mid 90s when we had separate East and West Tournaments. It was a headache.

Yeah, but not a one of them has described it as knowing it is bad for South Carolina, but good for the conference, so South Carolina should be unselfish and take a bullet for the conference. They just describe some positives from Clemson joining generally.
Maybe I'm getting some post on SaturdayDownSouth mixed up.

Either way, just saw that Texas and Oklahoma has officially asked for an invite.

Only way it doesn't happen is if Texas A&M convinces South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia or Kentucky to protect their interest in Texas similar to how the other teams wouldn't want their state rivals joining the SEC.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Only way it doesn't happen is if Texas A&M convinces South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia or Kentucky to protect their interest in Texas similar to how the other teams wouldn't want their state rivals joining the SEC.
I can't believe it has gotten this far without noses being counted and enough yes votes promised. Also, Disney is in the shadows behind all of this and they want it. It hurts Fox that broadcasts some Big 12 games and helps Disney. All Disney has to do is hint at financial repercussions and none of those are no votes. Frankly, I have heard A&M has had its arm twisted and this will be a 14-0 vote. Aggie thrown a bone of not being in the same pod with OU and Texas.

I thought we played them pretty well when we almost beat them in their undefeated Joe Burrow national championship year. We were one dropped TD pass by our RB Ingram away from winning.
The point I was making is that it looks like it would be a heated rivalry

I can't believe it has gotten this far without noses being counted and enough yes votes promised. Also, Disney is in the shadows behind all of this and they want it. It hurts Fox that broadcasts some Big 12 games and helps Disney. All Disney has to do is hint at financial repercussions and none of those are no votes. Frankly, I have heard A&M has had its arm twisted and this will be a 14-0 vote. Aggie thrown a bone of not being in the same pod with OU and Texas.
If they don't put A&M in the same pod as Texas and Oklahoma... Without a doubt they are going to keep the 'each team gets a yearly game with someone outside of their pod'

Depending on how the pods shake out, they might have to have that rule to protect the LSU/Alabama, Tennessee/Alabama, Florida/Tennessee games.

If they don't put A&M in the same pod as Texas and Oklahoma... Without a doubt they are going to keep the 'each team gets a yearly game with someone outside of their pod'

Depending on how the pods shake out, they might have to have that rule to protect the LSU/Alabama, Tennessee/Alabama, Florida/Tennessee games.
It will be interesting to see the pod set-up and how they address these issues.

Reactions: vehemon
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Athens might be the best college town in the country. Perfect size, great downtown area with lots of legit bars and restaurants that are all walkable before or after a game. The whole set up is perfect.

Yes, I agree. We had a back road, short cut into Athens. Used to go to every SC vs GA and a few Clem vs GA. Our routine was to go to Rocky’s for lunch, walk three blocks to the stadium. Go back to a bar of our choice and watch the football finals or games that were still on. By the time we left there was no traffic. Some of the most fun road games I have ever attended.

Yes, I agree. We had a back road, short cut into Athens. Used to go to every SC vs GA and a few Clem vs GA. Our routine was to go to Rocky’s for lunch, walk three blocks to the stadium. Go back to a bar of our choice and watch the football finals or games that were still on. By the time we left there was no traffic. Some of the most fun road games I have ever attended.
I kinda like Oxford.

Bama takes care of its own, and has a strong and proud conference to show for it.

Texas can’t even tie their own shoes, and has constantly made the rest of their conference worry what they’re gonna bitch about next. No stability with them.

Bama takes care of its own, and has a strong and proud conference to show for it.

Texas can’t even tie their own shoes, and has constantly made the rest of their conference worry what they’re gonna bitch about next. No stability with them.
Texans wear boots, no shoes to tie.

If you knew more than an inch deep on the subject, you would know the Southwest Conference was not viable by the time it broke up. It had a bunch of huge schools (Texas and A&M have both topped 54,000 students on campus) and a bunch of tiny schools like SMU and Rice. Rice has always had about 4,000 students, then and now. In fact, Texas had more students on campus than Rice had as alumni in its 100+ year history. Let that sink in. The athletic budgets were equally dissimilar. That just couldn't go on, you can't blame Texas.

That was 1993-1994 and Texas had a deal to go to the Pac-10 (our faculty love Cal Berkeley and Stanford) and A&M had a deal to go to the SEC. But at the time there was a powerful Lt Governor who was from TxTech, the strongwilled Governor was from Baylor and several other important legislators the same. They basically held a legislative gun to Texas and A&M's head and under threat of zeroing their budgets made them abandon their plans and form the Big 12. Neither A&M nor Texas ever wanted to be there. Politicians come and go, and years later A&M snuck away and now Texas is as well. The Big 12 was always like Andre the Giant and a bunch of midgets, so of course Texas did what it wanted to. On any decision Texas had 6 or 7 votes that would say "whatever Texas wants to do". Frustrating to Nebraska and Missouri, sure, but we never wanted to be here. I don't know why you would be scared Texas could do the same in the SEC. It isn't full of midgets, it has plenty of Hulk Hogans and other large creatures to keep Andre in check. Texas won't have six or seven "whatever Texas wants" acolyte votes to cast. So whether Texas tries what you fear or not, it obviously won't fly in a big boy conference with large powerful schools like the SEC.
Welcome aboard or as Beamer says, Welcome home. Look forward to playing you guys in a couple of years. Got to give my man Beamer a little time.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

How does Bama "take care of their own"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT