ADVERTISEMENT

Dozier a first-round pick?

GWMorris

Dec 24, 2006
I don't claim to follow the NBA draft closely, and I keep hearing on this board that P.J. Dozier is projected to be a first-round pick. So, I thought I'd search for draft projections to find out.

None of the projections I've found indicate he's a first-rounder. If somebody has more credible information, please post it.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/prospect-rankings

http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2017-nba-mock-draft.html

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ull-1st-round-predictions-post-trade-deadline

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/mock-draft/2017/

http://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/03/nba-mock-draft-march-madness-tournament-prospect-rankings

IMO...Don't think we need to talk about that this week.
Don't need the distractions. There will be plenty of time for that after the FF and moving forward.

Reactions: coolcock2001
Someone around here found one place that said that a bunch of months ago, and people ran with it. What's sad is that many mocked Dozier for it during times when he wasn't playing well, as if he had anything to do with that one dude putting him in a mock draft.

NBAdraft.net had him selected in the 20's most of the year and they are the most accurate predictor I have ever followed, and I follow the NBA draft way to closely. Late in the year he slipped because of his poor play and now he is the 2nd pick in the second round.

He projects very well as an NBA player. As I stated in another post he is probably at 75% of his basketball potential which is what NBA GM's love. He will have a lot of teams inquiring about him after the season. He has great size, length etc which the NBA will love. He has natural ball handling skills, has learned to create his own offense especially being able to shoot over defenders, has the ability to facilitate, quick hands on defense and he has a credible enough shooting stroke which NBA coach's will develop into NBA range. He projects as a very nice combo guard at the NBA level.

Now, none of that means he is going to leave after this year, but I would warn you to not be surprised one bit if he does

NBAdraft.net had him selected in the 20's most of the year and they are the most accurate predictor I have ever followed, and I follow the NBA draft way to closely. Late in the year he slipped because of his poor play and now he is the 2nd pick in the second round.

He projects very well as an NBA player. As I stated in another post he is probably at 75% of his basketball potential which is what NBA GM's love. He will have a lot of teams inquiring about him after the season. He has great size, length etc which the NBA will love. He has natural ball handling skills, has learned to create his own offense especially being able to shoot over defenders, has the ability to facilitate, quick hands on defense and he has a credible enough shooting stroke which NBA coach's will develop into NBA range. He projects as a very nice combo guard at the NBA level.

Now, none of that means he is going to leave after this year, but I would warn you to not be surprised one bit if he does
29 posts in 12 years? Nice of you to drop by.

I rarely watch/follow NBA - and by 'rarely' I mean never. But I have heard about this D-league. Is that up and running, and how does that affect draftees now-a-days? Would Dozier and Thornwell go to a D-league team or straight to the big league. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

I would hate to lose PJ after this season. However, if he leaves, I think this only helps recruiting. I don't know the last player we had actually have an extensive career in the NBA. Shows kids that you can in fact make it to the league if you come here, and also learn how to play incredible defense while here.

Balkman played 6 years. Plenty of guys flame out way before that.

The D-League is an option, but it is trash basketball. Honestly, most guys are better off going overseas and earning a little more money. Thornwell will make an NBA roster but he does not project to be as good a player as Dozier.

I think Dozier will probably stay one more year, but as I said, dont be surprised if he at least explores the option. Remember, in the NBA now you can declare and gather info and come back, to me that would be Dozier best option. The fact is, if you are guaranteed a first round pick that is automatic money and hard to turn down for anyone.

Actually Dozier has looked more comfortable during the tournament than he did during the regular season. He has stopped looking for the 3 pointer and started driving the ball into the lane. His pull-up short and midrange shots have looked very good, and he has made it all the way to the basket over and over again. He's slippery.

Reactions: wentzel25
Watching Ra Felder play the last couple of weeks should keep people away from any ledges related to Dozier's NBA stock.

Watching Ra Felder play the last couple of weeks should keep people away from any ledges related to Dozier's NBA stock.

Felder will be a good one for us. No doubt about it. That being said, he doesn't create the match up nightmares that Dozier does. Most teams simply don't have the right type of player to guard him.

Don't underestimate that dude... he blew up the Death Star II.

You are damn right I did

8f4e9f44b26952a09254c1aff2a969d5.jpg

It's fluid and he dropped late, but the drop is only to the top of round 2. His tournament has been great, so if he tests the waters, he'll probably get positive feedback.
To the d-league question, that's a big NO. If that's where you're heading, you're foolish not to come back. They pay peanuts, and call-ups are rarely for more than a late-season 10-day contract or 2.

Felder will be a good one for us. No doubt about it. That being said, he doesn't create the match up nightmares that Dozier does. Most teams simply don't have the right type of player to guard him.

I asked a friend of mine the other day who coached against PJ in high school two times a year, I said, "How the hell did you guard that guy in high school.?"

He looked at me ad simply said, "we didn't!"

I will say this. I know the family and it's 50-50 before the NCAA...

Now with that said, it could all change to 75-25 on the side of leaving depending what happens this weekend...

For those being critical of PJ, i would remind you, a post player from Duke who avg 3.9 pts and 3 rbs per game is entering the draft and is projected to be a lottery pick...

I hope PJ comes back for another year...I don't know where he will be drafted..I am not an NBA scout...Their evaluation processes seemed more focused on potential growth as players rather than how good the players are...If they evaluated how good players are, Thornwell would be a certain lottery pick

I find it hard to believe that with all of the available talent out there that any NBA team owner is going to select a player who's game needs a lot of work in the first round. This is not a game to them. It is a business. It is a very expensive business. A first round pick costs them millions of dollars. I don't think they are going to spend that kind of money on a player hoping he turns out to be good one day. There are too many players they can get who can help teams right away and give the owners a return on their investment. PJ's game at this point just needs a lot of work, especially his shooting. He also needs to get bigger and stronger. He will benefit greatly from coming back at least another year and developing his game more. If he can show the kind of improvement that Sindarious has shown in the last 2 years, he will certainly be a first round pick at that point.

I find it hard to believe that with all of the available talent out there that any NBA team owner is going to select a player who's game needs a lot of work in the first round. This is not a game to them. It is a business. It is a very expensive business. A first round pick costs them millions of dollars. I don't think they are going to spend that kind of money on a player hoping he turns out to be good one day. There are too many players they can get who can help teams right away and give the owners a return on their investment. PJ's game at this point just needs a lot of work, especially his shooting. He also needs to get bigger and stronger. He will benefit greatly from coming back at least another year and developing his game more. If he can show the kind of improvement that Sindarious has shown in the last 2 years, he will certainly be a first round pick at that point.

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with lawcalcock here that what they're looking for these days is talent trajectory more than readiness. I looked at some of the mock drafts and it blew me away: The top 15 or so that weren't foreign were all freshmen, not a senior till the 2nd round. Sucks for college ball, too, and that's too bad because that's the only kind I care about.

Reactions: ShannonL
NBA scouts draft based on potential and not production and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't . They would rather draft a Rough 19 year old with crazy upside than a polished 23 year old that they believe has hit their ceiling . Sometimes it takes years before the light comes on and sometimes it never does . The miss rate on NBA lottery picks is pretty staggering . Remember all those 1 and done guys from UNC that went in the first round ..... Shawn May , Marvin Williams , Richard Mccants , Ray Felton , Etc.... none of these guys went on to be any better than role players . Kentucky has a lot too ... Nerlen Noel , Michael Kidd Gilcrest , The Harrison Twins ... for every Anthony Davis there are a dozen that wash out . PJ reminds me a lot of a young Shawn Livingston before he destroyed his Knee and he is still a very productive player to this day because his size and ball handling skills create mismatches with NBA PG's.

For you guys that know nothing about the NBA watch Dozier handle the ball
That's NBA
He's gone
I completely agree. Very often this year he found our big guys with great passes and they just weren't ready. If he's a first round this year, he needs to go. I think he will no doubt be a first rounder next year. With progression of Maik and Chris into next year, PJ would have a really good year.

If Harry Giles can avg 3.0 Pts a game and be projected as a lottery pick I gotta think that some one will take a chance on PJ

I'm going to have to go ahead and agree with lawcalcock here that what they're looking for these days is talent trajectory more than readiness. I looked at some of the mock drafts and it blew me away: The top 15 or so that weren't foreign were all freshmen, not a senior till the 2nd round. Sucks for college ball, too, and that's too bad because that's the only kind I care about.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying this is a business decision so they will most likely select guys who are ready. Of those you mention, perhaps they are ready for the NBA and can contribute right away. I just don't think PJ is one of those, yet. Hopefully, he will be next year, but I don't think he is now.

PJ can play right now in the league. He is not a starter yet in the league. His potential is very high. And the NBA drafts on that. They would rather have a kid work with their coaches on improving his shooting, rather than in college. If you have a capable shooting motion (which PJ does) they will refine it and give it legitimate NBA range.

I have never said he is gone, I have always said the potential for him to declare is high because NBA scouts like him and his upside very much. If he goes this year he will get drafted higher than Thronwell and will have a longer career (barring injury of course).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT