ADVERTISEMENT

Duke & UNC play every year in Greensboro. So what if we played in Greenville

E-Cut_22

Jan 24, 2008
Every year Duke or UNC get to play in Greensboro or Charlotte for the first or 2nd rounds
It always has a home game feel to it and I've attended those tournaments many times wishing USC would have a team good enough to play.

So now Internet tough guys and the media are complaining or making note of the fact the game was in SC and we had a built in advantage. I'm sick of hearing this shit to say the least. Duke and UNC are loaded with 5 star players and if they came to play us in Columbia I doubt anyone would give us much of a chance.

Frank had our boys believing and the shots finally started to fall the 2nd half. Duke shot lights out too but it wasn't mentioned as much.

I guess I don't want it to hurt our chances of playing again next year or at least the state hosting again. Does anyone know if Myrtle Beach or Charleston have arenas large enough to hosy?

giphy.gif

To play in SC.

How bout USC come back to the ACC and it alternates from G-boro and G-ville each year? As long as the DA lawmakers in NC keep HB2 it will be in SC. Gave SC no more advantage than UNC and Dook had over the years...on 2nd thought, maybe it did...not sure if a teams ever had the whole arena root against them. :)

Distance from chapel hill to Greenville 230 miles
Distance from Columbia to Stockton Ca 2,637 miles

Duke fans chose not to buy tickets. They need to quit their whiney a$$ bitchin. They have been coddled and protected for over two decades. Take a cue from your own coach. Complimented the cocks, loved on his team, praised Greenville for putting on a great event.

I don't think Duke fans have any reason to gripe. Duke and UNC fans expected to be in that region for months, while Gamecock fans figured we'd be sent far away as a lower seed. Gamecock fans ponied up the cash and bought most of the tickets available on the secondary market.

Heelzfor2 I've been to Greensboro and Charlotte for March madness and you guys filled the arena. Duke not so much. Matter fact I was surprised how many UNC fans were in Greenville. Our game was in state but by no means was the Coliseum filled with USC fans, maybe 50% just going by fan colors. Maybe UNC fans jumped on board but like I said earlier if the game were in Columbia I doubt we would've heard the home court advantage excuse as much.

I hope NC continues with NCAA ban because I never thought it was fair you guys having the ACC tourney then 1st round in same in state arena.

Reactions: heelzfor2
How bout USC come back to the ACC and it alternates from G-boro and G-ville each year? As long as the DA lawmakers in NC keep HB2 it will be in SC. Gave SC no more advantage than UNC and Dook had over the years...on 2nd thought, maybe it did...not sure if a teams ever had the whole arena root against them. :)

It's too bad that ACC invite wasn't forthcoming as late as 1989. Now we're in too good of a place to return. Also, the ACC is watered down with all those former Big East schools as members.

Next best thing is for USC to schedule our former ACC brethren in as many games as we reasonably can. Hope that Frank II and K got along well enough that some serious discussion will take place to schedule a home-and home.

USC coming back to ACC is dead. That ship has sailed.

I personally would be all for it and would love to play all of our games in the same time zone and the rivalries make more sense.

However with SEC network and all the money we are raking in hand over fist unfortunately it doesn't look like it would ever happen. We needed this and it took us ten years to even compete at a mediocre level in this conference. Now that we are settling in since maybe the late 2000s USC is starting to make some noise.

Back to back NIT Championships

Back to back NCAA baseball champions

3 football seasons with 11 wins, rarely miss a bowl now and 2010 SEC East champions.

Gamecock women's basketball has been SEC regular season and tournament Champs 4 straight years. #1 seed 4 straight years and they are getting close

And of course our first ever Sweet 16 appearance in school history 2017 s incentives the field expanded
Thank you Frank

It's too bad that ACC invite wasn't forthcoming as late as 1989. Now we're in too good of a place to return. Also, the ACC is watered down with all those former Big East schools as members.

Next best thing is for USC to schedule our former ACC brethren in as many games as we reasonably can. Hope that Frank II and K got along well enough that some serious discussion will take place to schedule a home-and home.

Wasn't it Eddie Fogler who ended the series we once had with UNC? I think it had something to do with his not wanting to coach against his Alma Mater.

Last edited:
Wasn't it Eddie Fogler who ended the series we once has with UNC? I think it had something to do with his not wanting to coach against his Alma Mater.

Yea Ole Eddie Fowler ended the series. He acted like he wanted to cry just talking about playing UNC. It made me change my opinions about him. Just look at Spurrier. He didn't give a shit and he actually won the Heisman at Florida. Fowler road the bench, he was soft

Yea Ole Eddie Fowler ended the series. He acted like he wanted to cry just talking about playing UNC. It made me change my opinions about him. Just look at Spurrier. He didn't give a shit and he actually won the Heisman at Florida. Fowler road the bench, he was soft
Of course, Florida being a conference/division member, SOS had no choice unlike Eddie. Still, I agree that it probably would not matter to SOS. If he had a problem with it, he would not have accepted an offer to coach at an SEC school not named the University of Florida..

Bill Foster scratched Dook, and Eddie Fogler scratched UnCarolina. :(

At least we had the home-and-home with Maryland back in the '80s. Kind of amazing considering the brawl in our last home ACC meeting with the Terps and the high-tension rematch in Cole Field House a few weeks later that Maryland would be the first non-Clemron ACC school to visit Columbia after our league departure.

Since we left, we've played all our former brethren in mbb at least once. Wake in the 1983 NIT, Dook now twice, Maryland about 5 times, NCSU about 5 times, Virginia about 4 times, and UnCarolina about a half dozen times. Would like to see at least two of the aforementioned on each year's basketball schedules (both genders).

Last edited:
A few things: As we all know, Greensboro would have hosted if not for the bathroom bill. After years of languishing in the land of forbidden NCAA venues because of the flag, SC was rewarded with a host site. Once that was done, the teams assigned to the site was a no brainer for the NCAA. Above all else, the NCAA is about money. From a revenue standpoint it would have made no sense to assign someone like Dayton to Greenville, while sending the Gamecocks halfway across the country. I really don't give a damn what Duke fans think, but if they don't understand why the Cocks ended up in Greenville, they're not nearly as bright as they think they are.

A few things: As we all know, Greensboro would have hosted if not for the bathroom bill. After years of languishing in the land of forbidden NCAA venues because of the flag, SC was rewarded with a host site. Once that was done, the teams assigned to the site was a no brainer for the NCAA. Above all else, the NCAA is about money. From a revenue standpoint it would have made no sense to assign someone like Dayton to Greenville, while sending the Gamecocks halfway across the country. I really don't give a damn what Duke fans think, but if they don't understand why the Cocks ended up in Greenville, they're not nearly as bright as they think they are.
NCAA may need to explain why 3 of the 4 teams in Stockton this weekend are from the east coast.

NCAA may need to explain why 3 of the 4 teams in Stockton this weekend are from the east coast.
Everybody can't stay close to home obviously. With the state of SC hosting for the first time in years, there's really no past attendance figures to look at. I imagine that the NCAA wanted to make sure there were butts in seats.

Would the Gamecock fans not flocked to Greensboro. .? Most Duke alum are in the northeast. This is why the Sweet 16 is at MSG. This is a non issue. They got stomped. Given the supposed "talent gap", Duke should have won it running away. Their players are all declaring for the NBA, and every damn one of them is probably rated above ST.....SMDH.

Watch yourself!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 67gamecock
So tired of the bitching by UNC / Duke types. A few facts to consider:

1. They get to start in North Carolina nearly every year. You guys have mentioned Greensboro, but Charlotte and Winston Salem have also hosted numerous times.
2. Don't forget that it's not just first round, but Charlotte has also hosted regionals too.
3. Duke is not the only 2 seed that was placed close to "enemy territory" in their second round game. Dayton is just 2 hours from Indy (not much further than USC from Greenville) and they were placed in UK's bracket (also 2 hours from Indy).
4. Duke's real beef is always being paired with UNC fans, as there are many more UNC fans than Duke fans and those people always root against Puke. There are plenty of teams with similar predicaments (UK and UL both placed in Indy).

A bunch of whining from teams that have no business whining about anything after all of their preferential treatment over the years.

So tired of the bitching by UNC / Duke types. A few facts to consider:

1. They get to start in North Carolina nearly every year. You guys have mentioned Greensboro, but Charlotte and Winston Salem have also hosted numerous times.
2. Don't forget that it's not just first round, but Charlotte has also hosted regionals too.
3. Duke is not the only 2 seed that was placed close to "enemy territory" in their second round game. Dayton is just 2 hours from Indy (not much further than USC from Greenville) and they were placed in UK's bracket (also 2 hours from Indy).
4. Duke's real beef is always being paired with UNC fans, as there are many more UNC fans than Duke fans and those people always root against Puke. There are plenty of teams with similar predicaments (UK and UL both placed in Indy).

A bunch of whining from teams that have no business whining about anything after all of their preferential treatment over the years.

---

N.C. State swept thru the entire 1974 NCAA Tournament without leaving their home state.

Screw NC and Duke. Those whiney ass fans complaining that the regional was in SC's back yard but EXPECT to play in Greensboro each year for their regional. So glad Greenville got to host and everyone got to see just how having regionals outside of Greensboro can be a good thing. They think it is a right for regionals to be played close to them so they have every advantage possible. Screw them! I feel better now.

I don't think Duke fans have any reason to gripe. Duke and UNC fans expected to be in that region for months, while Gamecock fans figured we'd be sent far away as a lower seed. Gamecock fans ponied up the cash and bought most of the tickets available on the secondary market.
The Triad isn't much farther from Greenville than Columbia is. Sure we were well represented, but it wasn't like they had to come to Columbia, as many of them are trying to depict.

Reactions: atl-cock

Nail, hammer, head!! IOW's, back to the acc from The SEC??? Hail No!!!! We make more $$ in The SEC than we ever woulda/coulda in the acc - IOW's, it was a blessing to get the hail out when we did!!! Now in regards to playing acc teams in any and all sports, then yes, we should - as long as such in no way compromises our more important conference games!

JMHOFWIW, HIFWY!

Duke and UNC have been coddled by the selection committee for decades. There are tournament rounds in North Carolina every single year. Send them outside the TarHell state one time and they flip out. Its comical.

Your state government passes a discriminatory law that treats people like crap and your cool. Send your bball team to play in the adjacent state......well now you have gone too far!

Last edited:
Ive not heard UNC fans whining about it being in Greenville and SC being there. I agree, many NC teams have had home court advantage over the years so its only fair. The problem many North Carolinians is the lost revenue from the ACC, NCAA and NBA playing elsewhere.

Duke and UNC have been coddled by the selection committee for decades. There are tournament rounds in North Carolina every single year. Send them outside the TarHell state one time and they flip out. Its comical.

Your state government passes a discriminatory law that treats people like crap and your cool. Send your bball team to play in the adjacent state......well know you have gone too far!

No Dude, many people are not okay with HB2...its our Repub General Assembly that keep their seats due to gerryrigged districts that will not change. NC had no issues with pervs in restrooms attacking the women and children...its made up to garner support for the Repub lawmakers that run our GA right now.

Last edited:
No Dude, many people are not okay with HB2...its our Repub General Assembly that keep their seats due to gerryrigged districts that will not change. NC had no issues with pervs in restrooms attaching the women and children...its made up to garner support for HB2
They still haven't "fixed" the Bill to allow for employment discrimination suits in State Court have they? I haven't kept up with it as much as some of my colleagues, but was amazed at how absolutely poorly written that Bill was.

Rogue...to be honest, I am not sure. I do know at one time they were going to amend it to fix that part but I do not remember if it ever actually happened. Its in the news almost weekly in NC and has cost the state dearly in terms of lost events, businesses and jobs. It was a law strictly written for political purposes, not to fix a problem that actually existed. The conservative base was supposed to rally around this and McCroy would win re-election but it did not quite work as planned. Your SC gov got it right when asked, if I remember correctly she said something like we dont have a problem like that down here :) If it not broke, dont fix it.

Wonder if they would be crying if the 1st and 2nd round games were hosted in Charlotte? Charlotte is closer to Columbia than Greenville and our home court advantage would have existed there also IMO.

USC/WFU fan here. Just ask why the ACC removes events from the state of NC, I would say temporary appeasement, but moving conference offices out of GSO is a sacred and taboo aspect of the whole equation.

I'm looking at you Birmingham.

8>-

No Dude, many people are not okay with HB2...its our Repub General Assembly that keep their seats due to gerryrigged districts that will not change. NC had no issues with pervs in restrooms attacking the women and children...its made up to garner support for the Repub lawmakers that run our GA right now.

Well quite frankly I hope NC keeps HB2.

Reactions: Brace1
It kills NC legislators to have corporations and social issue groups viewing SC as more accomodative for business and more protective of minority rights. A year of negative national media and lost revenue is about to make their delicate heads explode.

One of the many things you learn from a liberal arts education (literature and history) is that old sayings get to be old sayings for a reason. At the fundamental core, they contain a kernel of truth that we feel the instinctual need to pass on, at a base genetic and animal instinct level. Its like telling your kids , "Fire burns." You hope they heed your insight from personal experience, but you know its probably gonna take a burn; hopefully, a small one.

There is a reason the terms 'Triangle, Triad and Big Four' exist as a core fiber of being a part of NC. WFU is a small, nerdy part that gets lost in the Big Three Raleigh Private Convos, but they are a pocket vote and get accorded conference respect, as such.

BBQ and Good Old Boy Politics while your favorite southern flavor of music plays in the background.

There is a reason why 'Southern' has been argued as being an ethnicity in courts of law and why it's history, politics, literature, music and food are primary focuses of study at schools around the world.

We're a weird subset and we defend it fiercely.

Too small to be a republic. Too large to be an insane asylum.

Just realize The Triangle is full of self-hating southern progressive hypocrites and write it off as one of those things that your Grandma's cross-stitch should have taught you about strength, change, tolerance and wisdom.

"Rogue...to be honest, it was a state law strictly written for political purposes that they felt would be a quick fix for local legislation, which was strictly written to appease local groups, (28205 & 28207 I'm looking at you 8>- ) and thus an overreach on a local level, in sanctuary city manner, on an issue that actually requires a national discussion. Once again, Charlotte acting like they are the seat of power and needing to drag the rest of NC into their vision of the future. Grab your favorite BBQ, my Good Old Triangle Boys, and don't forget to download your favorite playlist of southern music, we've got a midnight session to half-bake some state legislation and then charge the bill to Charlotte at $60,000; a little more than their City Council's 2016 conference retreat to Raleigh will cost their taxpayers!"

Fixed it for you.

HB2 is solving no problems in the State. Men dressed as women were not going in restrooms and attacking our women and children. If they were, HB2 is still not solving the problem because there is no enforcement of it.

If any thing, if the law was followed, we would have a woman dressed as a man using the women's restroom, now how are the ladies in the restroom going to react when someone dressed as a man walks in....vice versa for a man dressed as a woman, someone walks in looking like a lady while I am at the urinal is going to make me think they walked in the wrong bathroom.

HB2 solves nothing, simply political shit designed to stir up votes for the ultra conservative using the most basic fear tactics.

I'm going to bail out of this discussion because I am not naive enough to believe anything I say is going to change someones mind on this subject. Plus, I hate Politics and Politicians cause its all shit at the end of the day. Both parties are all about the party and not whats best for the people they are supposed to represent. F'em all!!!

HB2 solves nothing, simply political shit designed to stir up votes for the ultra conservative using the most basic fear tactics.

I'm going to bail out of this discussion because I am not naive enough to believe anything I say is going to change someones mind on this subject. Plus, I hate Politics and Politicians cause its all shit at the end
NO WAY!!!! In north cackalakky??? Who'd a thunk it?!?!

I think I saw yesterday the NCAA was ready to pull all NCAA events from NC through 2022 if the law is not repealed.

Bon Secours and Colonial Life Arenas......get working on your proposals!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT